Author Topic: Bicycle Racing and Bicycle Sports  (Read 826 times)

Online jmecklenborg

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
Bicycle Racing and Bicycle Sports
« on: July 12, 2015, 03:54:48 PM »
Go Pro appears to be putting cameras on Tour de France riders this year and uploading highlights right away to youtube.  These perspectives illustrate just how TOTALLY INSANE road bike racing is:

The average speed of the Tour de France is usually around 23mph over the 2,000 mile run, including many 5-10 mile climbs up mountains.  That means they're around 35-45mph for a ton of the flat or mile downhill riding and bombing the mountain downhills at over 50mph. 
« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 04:22:43 PM by X »

Online jmecklenborg

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
Re: Bicycle Racing and Bicycle Sports
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2016, 07:56:38 AM »
UK's Chris Froome punches fan mid-race:

Online jmecklenborg

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2016, 07:59:27 AM »
Same rider (current yellow jersey) crashes into cameraman on motorbike who stopped suddenly because of more fan misbehavior.  This happened just 1 mile from the finish of the stage, so he started running toward the finish line. 

Offline DarkandStormy

• 629'-Rhodes State Tower
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2016, 09:06:34 AM »
Froome (and Sky) are way too boring for my taste to make for an interesting Tour, but that was some incredible footage yesterday.

Online jmecklenborg

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2016, 05:46:45 PM »
Froome wins his third tour:
http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/24/sport/tour-de-france-2016/

If Wiggins was still doing this race it would be a heckuva lot more interesting.  He's a blue collar character in a sport that has a bit of a higher class sheen to it like tennis. 

Froome should be racing for Kenya in the Olympics, not UK.  He never lived in England until he was an adult.  I know a guy whose mom was from Ireland who played lacrosse for Ireland's national team despite never having lived there.  But that's just one player on a team sport.     

Online jmecklenborg

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2017, 06:41:23 PM »
Froome hit by car on training ride in France:
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2708691-chris-froome-shares-photo-of-totaled-bike-after-driver-rammed-cyclist?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial

Apparently he's okay but it's a shame to see that beautiful bike destroyed! 

Online AmrapinVA

• 947'-Key Tower
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2017, 12:39:27 PM »
Is anyone following this year's Tour de France? It's one for the ages with only a week left although I think Froome will still pull it out.

It's amazing how little coverage the Tour gets in the US since Lance Armstrong's scandals. I do wonder if we'll ever see another serious American contender.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 12:40:57 PM by AmrapinVA »

Online jmecklenborg

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2017, 12:48:24 PM »
Is anyone following this year's Tour de France? It's one for the ages with only a week left although I think Froome will still pull it out.

It's amazing how little coverage the Tour gets in the US since Lance Armstrong's scandals. I do wonder if we'll ever see another serious American contender.

Yeah only three Americans are even in the race this year. 

Online GCrites80s

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Running Free
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2017, 12:54:06 PM »
All sports are suffering in viewership except soccer since regular TV is out of fashion.

Online sabotage619

• 0'-Surface Lot
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2017, 03:49:10 PM »

I'm a huge cycling fan, but still my interest in the TdF has declined recently, but this year Lance Armstrong's podcast has renewed my passion for the race. I'm really enjoying his commentary and insider's perspective. If you haven't listened to it, I strongly recommend it.

Online AmrapinVA

• 947'-Key Tower
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2017, 04:01:43 PM »
Usually the Overall Stage winner is well established by now. This year there's conceivably six cyclists who could still win it. I can't remember the last time the race was this competitive going into the final week. This week there are two Alps stages and a time trial in Marseilles. It actually might be a true race in Paris instead of the usual dog and pony show.

To me, this is way more interesting than when Lance was just putting a hammer lock on everyone else.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 04:02:28 PM by AmrapinVA »

Online jmecklenborg

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2017, 04:52:53 PM »
Yeah I listened to Lance recently.  He seems like he has chilled out.  It wasn't that way for the first year or two after he got the boot.  I think there is actually some chance for a career comeback of sorts for him.  The thing he revealed that is pretty scary is that he's being sued by US Postal or Discovery and could be wiped out financially.  If those suits aren't successful he should be fine with money.

Remove Ads