Author Topic: Cleveland Hopkins International Airport  (Read 556023 times)

Offline Hootenany

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
Re: Cleveland Hopkins International Airport
« Reply #3325 on: September 12, 2017, 10:40:38 AM »
^Not to nitpick, but the 757 (a narrowbody) already flies transatlantic routes.  Also, the new 737 MAX will have the necessary ETOPS ratings for some transatlantic service and I suspect the A320neo will as well although I'm not positive.

Offline AmrapinVA

• 947'-Key Tower
« Reply #3326 on: September 12, 2017, 10:50:46 AM »
^Not to nitpick, but the 757 (a narrowbody) already flies transatlantic routes.  Also, the new 737 MAX will have the necessary ETOPS ratings for some transatlantic service and I suspect the A320neo will as well although I'm not positive.

Right Delta stared IND-CDG on at 767. Most of BA's service is on 789s. Condor is mostly flying 767s. Not saying DL wont come to CLE with a 757, I just don't think CLE is on their radar right now with the PIT flight. Also, Norwegian hasn't really mentioned Cleveland in any of their press and they'd be the most likely candidate for the long range narrowbody. It is what it is.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 10:52:11 AM by AmrapinVA »

Offline pontiac51

• 0'-Surface Lot
« Reply #3327 on: September 12, 2017, 11:14:55 AM »
Delta announced an Indianapolis-Paris non-stop today... launching May 2018...

Icelandic airlines are nice, but bet they aren't wishing they had two Iceland non-stop airlines vs one direct to continental Europe airline.
Why are you so concerned about what IND is doing? I just don't get it!!! Just be happy that Hopkins has 2 new foreign airlines to Europe, after many of you goofballs swore up and down that Hopkins would never get overseas service because the mayor, airport director and others were so incompetent!! There are enough overseas flights for everyone. In other words, whatever happens at IND or any other airport HAS NO BEARING on what happens at Hopkins. So let's stop with the childish stuff!!

Not a goofball. It still took a decade to restablish a Euro link to Iceland. Still think Hopkins is going to have trouble direct service to places like London, Paris and Frankfurt because of the facility until narrowbodies can make the leap. I have to admit, I have no links with the Icelandair or WOW folks so I didn't see that one coming. Let's stop with you trying to shut everyone down if they aren't a 100% Cleveland cheerleader.
This isn't about being a cheerleader; it's about being fair, which you are not!! This is also about having common sense, which you are severely lacking!! The bottom line is that you carried on and on about how CLE would never ever get European/overseas service. You said that the mayor/airport director and others were too incompetent. Then all of the sudden CLE gets two new foreign airlines to Iceland, and now you're upset that it's not London, Paris or Frankfurt. You're upset that the Iceland flights are on narrowbody airplanes. Soon, your going to tell us that Iceland isn't really a part of Europe, and on and on and on!!! Never satisfied!!

Now I'm not trying shut you down, but so far your batting average ain't been too good!! I'm not a cheerleader; I just give credit when/where it is due. I don't complain about everything like you do!!

Offline AmrapinVA

• 947'-Key Tower
« Reply #3328 on: September 12, 2017, 11:22:54 AM »
Delta announced an Indianapolis-Paris non-stop today... launching May 2018...

Icelandic airlines are nice, but bet they aren't wishing they had two Iceland non-stop airlines vs one direct to continental Europe airline.
Why are you so concerned about what IND is doing? I just don't get it!!! Just be happy that Hopkins has 2 new foreign airlines to Europe, after many of you goofballs swore up and down that Hopkins would never get overseas service because the mayor, airport director and others were so incompetent!! There are enough overseas flights for everyone. In other words, whatever happens at IND or any other airport HAS NO BEARING on what happens at Hopkins. So let's stop with the childish stuff!!

Not a goofball. It still took a decade to restablish a Euro link to Iceland. Still think Hopkins is going to have trouble direct service to places like London, Paris and Frankfurt because of the facility until narrowbodies can make the leap. I have to admit, I have no links with the Icelandair or WOW folks so I didn't see that one coming. Let's stop with you trying to shut everyone down if they aren't a 100% Cleveland cheerleader.
This isn't about being a cheerleader; it's about being fair, which you are not!! This is also about having common sense, which you are severely lacking!! The bottom line is that you carried on and on about how CLE would never ever get European/overseas service. You said that the mayor/airport director and others were too incompetent. Then all of the sudden CLE gets two new foreign airlines to Iceland, and now you're upset that it's not London, Paris or Frankfurt. You're upset that the Iceland flights are on narrowbody airplanes. Soon, your going to tell us that Iceland isn't really a part of Europe, and on and on and on!!! Never satisfied!!

Now I'm not trying shut you down, but so far your batting average ain't been too good!! I'm not a cheerleader; I just give credit when/where it is due. I don't complain about everything like you do!!

I put myself on the line, never said I was perfect and yes Cleveland is still not looked on as a bastion of competency, nothing has changed there. Iceland service doesn't really change that. The FAA snow removal fiasco is still fresh in many minds. Anyway, it's easy to point out other's flaws when you don't offer any ideas of your own.

It's also entertaining watching you complain about my thoughts on Iceland when there were folks on here saying Pittsburgh-Iceland wasn't real Euro service before Cleveland got it.

Offline Dougal

• 555'-LeVeque Tower
« Reply #3329 on: September 12, 2017, 11:40:17 AM »
Not a goofball. It still took a decade to restablish a Euro link to Iceland. Still think Hopkins is going to have trouble direct service to places like London, Paris and Frankfurt because of the facility until narrowbodies can make the leap.

Took a decade - yes, but I don't think CLE management were really serious until WOW picked PIT over CLE last year. I know it was not an urgent goal for the civic promotion groups like GCP.

It will be interesting to see how much new traffic the Icelandic lines generate.  CLE's Europe traffic number has been about 200-250 per day.  If the new carriers capture half that number and generate an equal number of new bargain-seeking travelers, that will still leave room for a third carrier to offer a flight 3 or 4 times a week to a traditional European hub.

Offline pontiac51

• 0'-Surface Lot
« Reply #3330 on: September 13, 2017, 09:49:04 AM »
Not a goofball. It still took a decade to restablish a Euro link to Iceland. Still think Hopkins is going to have trouble direct service to places like London, Paris and Frankfurt because of the facility until narrowbodies can make the leap.

Took a decade - yes, but I don't think CLE management were really serious until WOW picked PIT over CLE last year. I know it was not an urgent goal for the civic promotion groups like GCP.

It will be interesting to see how much new traffic the Icelandic lines generate.  CLE's Europe traffic number has been about 200-250 per day.  If the new carriers capture half that number and generate an equal number of new bargain-seeking travelers, that will still leave room for a third carrier to offer a flight 3 or 4 times a week to a traditional European hub.
It's quite obvious that you're just making stuff up!! According to an article in cleveland.com, airport officials were after Icelandair long before PIT got WOW. They just didn't get serious about overseas service last year; they've been serious since 2009 when Continental ended the London flight. So for you to suggest that the airport officials were motivated solely because of PIT shows what kind of grade-school reasoning you have!!

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #3331 on: September 13, 2017, 09:52:16 AM »
CLE's Europe traffic number has been about 200-250 per day. 

I'm surprised it's that small.
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I'll tell you what you value." -- Joe Biden

Online BelievelandD1

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #3332 on: September 13, 2017, 10:13:40 AM »

the obvious question is....do those numbers take the new Iceland routes...or stick with their frequent flyer airline.  Heres to hoping that the new airlines also stimulate demand...if we can see those climb to 300 per day, that would be significant. 

Offline AmrapinVA

• 947'-Key Tower
« Reply #3333 on: September 13, 2017, 10:16:08 AM »

It's quite obvious that you're just making stuff up!! According to an article in cleveland.com, airport officials were after Icelandair long before PIT got WOW. They just didn't get serious about overseas service last year; they've been serious since 2009 when Continental ended the London flight. So for you to suggest that the airport officials were motivated solely because of PIT shows what kind of grade-school reasoning you have!!

They were so serious it took 8 years (!!) to get Iceland service and it was after PIT landed WOW! service to Iceland which already had a non-stop to Paris. I know you're in love with the current administration but think how silly it makes the city look if true! Thanks for making my point.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 10:18:34 AM by AmrapinVA »

Offline AmrapinVA

• 947'-Key Tower
« Reply #3334 on: September 13, 2017, 10:34:49 AM »
Icelandair just announced it will be using the fourth generation 737 -- The 737MAX8 on the CLE-KEF route. It will have 8 Biz class and 152 economy seats. This plane size reduction from the 757 is not a bad thing considering they'll be directly competing with WOW! The idea should be to keep both these carriers in Cleveland as long as possible until the airport can get a direct link to London, Paris or Frankfurt.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 10:36:41 AM by AmrapinVA »

Online BelievelandD1

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #3335 on: September 13, 2017, 10:53:19 AM »

They were so serious it took 8 years (!!) to get Iceland service and it was after PIT landed WOW! service to Iceland which already had a non-stop to Paris. I know you're in love with the current administration but think how silly it makes the city look if true! Thanks for making my point.

I dont think you are seeing the forest through the trees.  After United and Continental merged, the instability, uncertainty, etc. really shook up CLE, even before the dehub.  This was one of those projects they had to blow up and staart over to reinvent the airports look, services, flow, aesthetics.  You, for some reason, cant see that this is and has been a project.  You expect JFK airport for the last 8 years.  Its a process, and all signs point to a bright future.  The destinations, retail, food, flow , cleanliness and renovations have all been good indicators that the new guy gets what an airport should look like and is working towards an end goal.  Its irrational and absurd to expect immediate greatness coming off poor leadership, dehub and an aged facility.  Go outside and breath in some of that crispy virginia air....patience....the direction is correct.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 10:54:02 AM by BelievelandD1 »

Offline AmrapinVA

• 947'-Key Tower
« Reply #3336 on: September 13, 2017, 10:55:52 AM »

I dont think you are seeing the forest through the trees.  After United and Continental merged, the instability, uncertainty, etc. really shook up CLE, even before the dehub.  This was one of those projects they had to blow up and staart over to reinvent the airports look, services, flow, aesthetics.  You, for some reason, cant see that this is and has been a project.  You expect JFK airport for the last 8 years.  Its a process, and all signs point to a bright future.  The destinations, retail, food, flow , cleanliness and renovations have all been good indicators that the new guy gets what an airport should look like and is working towards an end goal.  Its irrational and absurd to expect immediate greatness coming off poor leadership, dehub and an aged facility.  Patience....deep breath....

I never said I expected JFK but you can't deny it took Cleveland a decade to get Iceland which you even said you didn't care for when Pittsburgh landed it. Just because you like the airport doesn't mean the FIS facility is modern which is what matters most to international service. This is not a state secret.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 10:58:43 AM by AmrapinVA »

Online BelievelandD1

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #3337 on: September 13, 2017, 11:06:40 AM »
^ yeah i mean i didnt care.  I still dont.  I think its great CLE got it and i dont care PIT got it first, but even without the European service, i still saw the new administration working.  I think i made my point that i dont think the airport is a finished product.  Just like all aspects of our city, we are striving to improve. Again, i think its directionally correct,

Offline AmrapinVA

• 947'-Key Tower
« Reply #3338 on: September 13, 2017, 11:10:08 AM »
^ yeah i mean i didnt care.  I still dont.  I think its great CLE got it and i dont care PIT got it first, but even without the European service, i still saw the new administration working.  I think i made my point that i dont think the airport is a finished product.  Just like all aspects of our city, we are striving to improve. Again, i think its directionally correct,

Look Believeland, you bring up very cogent arguments and I get where you are coming from. We agree to disagree about airport administration but I have no beef with you at all. Pontiac on the other hand......
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 11:11:15 AM by AmrapinVA »

Online BelievelandD1

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #3339 on: September 13, 2017, 11:14:36 AM »

Look Believeland, you bring up very cogent arguments and I get where you are coming from. We agree to disagree about airport administration but I have no beef with you at all. Pontiac on the other hand......

OK, so what does the new administration have to do to earn your praise?
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 11:14:50 AM by BelievelandD1 »

Offline AmrapinVA

• 947'-Key Tower
« Reply #3340 on: September 13, 2017, 11:20:44 AM »

OK, so what does the new administration have to do to earn your praise?

Please, please, please fix the FIS. How many times do I have to repeat this!

Online BelievelandD1

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #3341 on: September 13, 2017, 11:23:36 AM »
^That's it? I'm sure that's coming. Let me grab you some Pom poms

Offline Cleburger

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #3342 on: September 13, 2017, 11:43:51 AM »

the obvious question is....do those numbers take the new Iceland routes...or stick with their frequent flyer airline.  Heres to hoping that the new airlines also stimulate demand...if we can see those climb to 300 per day, that would be significant. 

I'm one of the 250-300 who would (while somewhat grudgingly) stick with United for a lie-flat bed and FF miles courtesy of my employer paying the fare.  It's worth the extra hour flight and layover at EWR or better yet, IAD.
I got some records from World War II
I play 'em just like me grand dad do
He was a rocker and I am too....Now Cleveland rocks....

Offline Dougal

• 555'-LeVeque Tower
« Reply #3343 on: September 13, 2017, 12:51:57 PM »

I believe it's only since January that CLE has had a position called Manager, International Air Service Development (filled by John Hogan). Susan Glaser of the PD and Alison Grant before her both reported that GCP, TeamNEO, etc., as well as local businesses were more interested in restoring lost domestic routes than international; there was little recognition of the value of international routes to the region.  I believe that has changed drastically and quite recently, i.e., since Robert Kennedy took over as Director of Port Control. There may have been previous efforts, but they were half-hearted (my opinion) and obviously ineffective.

Offline Dougal

• 555'-LeVeque Tower
« Reply #3344 on: September 13, 2017, 01:08:50 PM »

That number was Continental Airlines' working estimate prior to the recession. By 2011, the number had fallen to about 150-175 a day by DoT data and has since slowly recovered. The 2011 low may have understated the market since there is always "data leakage" when there is no direct service in a market The nifty thing about the Icelanders is they will boost the tourist part of that number with new passengers faster than somebody like British or American would boost the business traveler share. 

More and faster is better; it will get the attention of other airlines, which then will be more likely to add a flight to a traditional Euro-hub.  The local spiff for a flight to London, for example, could probably be more in the form of ticket purchase guarantees than actual cash.

Online BelievelandD1

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #3345 on: September 13, 2017, 04:19:41 PM »

I'm one of the 250-300 who would (while somewhat grudgingly) stick with United for a lie-flat bed and FF miles courtesy of my employer paying the fare.  It's worth the extra hour flight and layover at EWR or better yet, IAD.

I will be doing the opposite, unless I have enough miles for a free flight

Offline Cleburger

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #3346 on: September 13, 2017, 08:49:32 PM »

I will be doing the opposite, unless I have enough miles for a free flight

To each his own.  As a veteran overseas traveler, I prefer the layover here followed by a direct to destination in a more comfortable aircraft, than a direct to Reykjavik, a layover then another flight to my final in Europe.   But I suppose if the price was right for a leisure traveler, this flight would be the way to go.

Online BelievelandD1

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #3347 on: September 13, 2017, 08:58:53 PM »
I can also envision myself staying a night or two in Iceland every time I go to Europe, get rest, eat, drink and get back on a plane. I love that model

Offline Cleburger

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #3348 on: September 14, 2017, 09:31:12 AM »
I can also envision myself staying a night or two in Iceland every time I go to Europe, get rest, eat, drink and get back on a plane. I love that model

If you can afford the time, by all means do it.   It's a great little country.  Also I'm not poo-pooing this for CLE.  Glad we got it. 

Offline Dougal

• 555'-LeVeque Tower
« Reply #3349 on: September 14, 2017, 11:30:18 AM »
  Also I'm not poo-pooing this for CLE.  Glad we got it.

I think it's a great test of the market. Success of the Iceland route will attract more.

Offline Hootenany

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #3350 on: September 14, 2017, 02:55:15 PM »
In other news Cleveland-Hopkins received a $19 million FAA infrastructure grant to, "correct the geometry of various taxiways at the airport. These improvements are part of the FAA’s Runway Incursion Mitigation or RIM program to enhance safety at the airport."

https://www.faa.gov/airports/aip/grantapportion_data/media/FY17-AIP-Grants-Announced-2017-09-14.pdf

Offline pontiac51

• 0'-Surface Lot
« Reply #3351 on: September 15, 2017, 11:17:18 AM »

So are the STL airport officials incompetent because it took 16 years to replace their overseas service? How about the BNA officials? It only took over 25 years to replace their overseas service!! You are obviously in love with the PIT officials, but are they incompetent because there is very little service to the west coast? Are the IND officials incompetent because it took them like forever to establish overseas service? On the other side of the spectrum, are the MIA officials incompetent because while there is obviously an abundance of overseas service, there is none to East Asia, which they've been trying to get for years? We can play this nickel and dime game all day long!! Are airports like JFK, YYZ and EWR the only ones that meet YOUR standards?

The bottom line is that your coming across like someone who has an ax to grind with the city of Cleveland!! It's obvious you know very little about the airline industry. You need to stop embarrassing yourself!!!

Offline AmrapinVA

• 947'-Key Tower
« Reply #3352 on: September 15, 2017, 11:31:26 AM »
You need to stop embarrassing yourself!!!

Follow your own advice.

Offline TBideon

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #3353 on: September 15, 2017, 03:10:07 PM »
You guys are fighting over... airline flights? Man, pick your battles.

Offline plinth857

• 468'-Scripps Center
« Reply #3354 on: September 19, 2017, 03:21:33 PM »
So, Frontier will now be flying from Cleveland to Austin, 4 times a week.  Yawn... still holding out for the nonstop flight to MCI.

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #3355 on: September 20, 2017, 10:01:54 AM »
Frontier Airlines adds Cleveland-to-Austin route; fares start at $39 one way
http://www.cleveland.com/travel/index.ssf/2017/09/frontier_airlines_adds_clevela_1.html

From the article -- The new destination gives Frontier 19 nonstop routes from Cleveland - more than any other airline - though many are seasonal and most are not daily.
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I'll tell you what you value." -- Joe Biden

Online BelievelandD1

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #3356 on: September 20, 2017, 10:45:04 AM »
Austin isn't a route to yawn at...better than Allegiant a service there.  We need frontier to hold these route they have. They flip flop too much

Offline ryanfrazier

• 367'-PNC Bank
« Reply #3357 on: September 21, 2017, 09:27:01 AM »
JD Power lists Hopkins in last place for satisfaction among airports its size:
http://www.jdpower.com/press-releases/2016-north-america-airport-satisfaction-study

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #3358 on: September 21, 2017, 09:38:58 AM »
Time for the city of Cleveland to do what Nashville and other cities are considering -- lease the airport to a private operator and raise substantial funding for public transit capital improvements/expansion and to clean/clear/combine dirty, lien-shrouded, vacant industrial sites near existing transit routes.

Online BelievelandD1

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #3359 on: September 21, 2017, 09:42:40 AM »
Hmmmm.  I question their criteria, any list that shows Orlando (a disgusting cesspool), that far ahead of San Francisco (modern and clean), would make me think there is something wrong. I don't know, maybe people are just silly.  Maybe everyone is in a good mood becuase they are going to Disney world, and in a bad mood because they are cleveland. Which that would be a whole level of sad

Remove Ads