Author Topic: Cleveland Hopkins International Airport  (Read 521801 times)

Offline Cleburger

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
Re: Cleveland Hopkins International Airport
« Reply #3045 on: April 29, 2017, 12:07:59 PM »
^I'm hopeful that AA's move will trigger some new service announcements.  CLE lacks service to 2 of AA's hubs, Phoenix and Los Angeles.

That would be wonderful.  I'd love to see some competition for United on their LAX route.
I got some records from World War II
I play 'em just like me grand dad do
He was a rocker and I am too....Now Cleveland rocks....

Offline plinth857

• 408'-Kettering Tower
« Reply #3046 on: April 29, 2017, 01:30:57 PM »
^I'm hopeful that AA's move will trigger some new service announcements.  CLE lacks service to 2 of AA's hubs, Phoenix and Los Angeles.

I would hope AA would consider bringing the PHX route back.  US Airways ran it for a while, and I heard they had pretty decent load factors, but wanted to redeploy their fleet elsewhere after the merger.  Since Southwest is the only one with year round daily service to Phoenix, it definitely doesn't seem underserved.

Not sure about LA; since Spirit does run a daily flight, AA may be reluctant to get back into the mix, since it would surely require a mainline aircraft.  I often wonder which carrier would be represented if another nonstop flight to LA happened since all of the carriers have larger operations there.

Offline BelievelandD1

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #3047 on: April 29, 2017, 11:10:44 PM »
Frontier also serves Phoenix.  I never understood why Delta does have a cleveland to salt lake or Seattle.  Those are hubs for them.  I could understand minny replacing functionality for Seattle, but there is really no gateway to the west for delta without going all the way to Minnesota . I guess Detroit, but I feel Salt Lake could certainly sell like united can for Denver . Also miss the Indianapolis delta flight

Offline plinth857

• 408'-Kettering Tower
« Reply #3048 on: April 29, 2017, 11:27:12 PM »
Frontier also serves Phoenix.  I never understood why Delta does have a cleveland to salt lake or Seattle.  Those are hubs for them.  I could understand minny replacing functionality for Seattle, but there is really no gateway to the west for delta without going all the way to Minnesota . I guess Detroit, but I feel Salt Lake could certainly sell like united can for Denver . Also miss the Indianapolis delta flight

They must think they can connect to all of their potential destinations through MSP and ATL.

Frontier does serve PHX, but isn't it seasonal and/or non-daily?

Offline Dougal

• 468'-Scripps Center
« Reply #3049 on: April 30, 2017, 12:38:55 AM »
Not sure about LA; since Spirit does run a daily flight, AA may be reluctant to get back into the mix, since it would surely require a mainline aircraft.  I often wonder which carrier would be represented if another nonstop flight to LA happened since all of the carriers have larger operations there.

AA's interest in CLE-LAX would be for transpac feeder traffic; plus it's a busy route - traffic was almost 1,000 a day last summer.  I doubt AA will fly anything new immediately - it's too late for this summer. Maybe something will happen next spring.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 12:39:41 AM by Dougal »

Offline BelievelandD1

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #3050 on: May 08, 2017, 06:44:51 PM »
Hung out at bar symon tonight. A huge upgrade in terms of food, drink and vibe.  When American moves over to C, C will definitely have a little of that continental hub energy back. i think the new guy in charge of Hopkins definitely sees some things in terms of in house changes to make the experience better.  I know he has a lot of experience s in the aviation consulting industry, it will be very interesting to see if he can pull in addition routes.  Still waiting on more JetBlue flights!

Offline Cleburger

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #3051 on: May 08, 2017, 08:51:17 PM »
Hung out at bar symon tonight. A huge upgrade in terms of food, drink and vibe.  When American moves over to C, C will definitely have a little of that continental hub energy back. i think the new guy in charge of Hopkins definitely sees some things in terms of in house changes to make the experience better.  I know he has a lot of experience s in the aviation consulting industry, it will be very interesting to see if he can pull in addition routes.  Still waiting on more JetBlue flights!

I ate lunch there one day last week and the place was filled with airport employees, including Fred Szabo.  Definitely an upgrade from Panini.
I got some records from World War II
I play 'em just like me grand dad do
He was a rocker and I am too....Now Cleveland rocks....

Offline eyehrtfood

• 574'-Carew Tower
« Reply #3052 on: May 16, 2017, 02:36:14 PM »
From CLE Facebook post today (that's lots of gates for AA - 7 in C... More than previously stated?):

"Attention American Airlines passengers!  AA will begin moving their operations from Concourse A to Concourse C at Cleveland Hopkins International Airport at midnight tonight.

The new gates they will be using are C2, C3, C4, C5, C8, C10 and C14. They will however remain at gates A1 and A3 as they transition."

Offline plinth857

• 408'-Kettering Tower
« Reply #3053 on: May 16, 2017, 04:26:19 PM »
Still waiting on more JetBlue flights!

I'd bet money that CLE will get a route to JFK from JetBlue in the next 12 months.  With United pulling out of there, I didn't notice much (if any) of a capacity increase to there.  Plus it's all on small regional jets, whereas I think CLE could fill a E190 at least once a day if not more.

Offline anthonyb

• 279'-First Energy Center
« Reply #3054 on: May 18, 2017, 09:24:03 AM »
http://fox6now.com/2017/05/18/southwest-launches-new-nonstop-flights-from-milwaukee-to-nashville-cleveland/

Southwest Airlines announces new nonstop service between Cleveland and Milwaukee. Two daily departures, begins Saturday November 4th.

Offline BelievelandD1

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #3055 on: May 18, 2017, 09:45:40 AM »
interesting.  I wonder if United will retire their Milwaukee route.

Offline plinth857

• 408'-Kettering Tower
« Reply #3056 on: May 18, 2017, 10:41:51 AM »
interesting.  I wonder if United will retire their Milwaukee route.

I think they will, like they did with St. Louis when Southwest entered the route.

Offline eyehrtfood

• 574'-Carew Tower
« Reply #3057 on: May 18, 2017, 08:19:51 PM »
Feom Susan Glaser - Cleveland.com - According to the airport:

-- In 2016, Hopkins served 8.42 million passengers, including 7.92 million who started or ended their trip in Cleveland.

-- In 2011, the airport served 9.18 million passengers, including 5.96 million who started or ended their trip in Cleveland

Offline BelievelandD1

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #3058 on: May 18, 2017, 10:09:57 PM »
Feom Susan Glaser - Cleveland.com - According to the airport:

-- In 2016, Hopkins served 8.42 million passengers, including 7.92 million who started or ended their trip in Cleveland.

-- In 2011, the airport served 9.18 million passengers, including 5.96 million who started or ended their trip in Cleveland

interesting.  more lower fares and more people willing to come to CLE to have their flight originate combined with our huge year of tourism.  I guess thats a good sign, especially if you can get that 8.42 mill back above 9
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 10:10:29 PM by BelievelandD1 »

Offline Dougal

• 468'-Scripps Center
« Reply #3059 on: May 19, 2017, 01:19:12 PM »
I guess thats a good sign, especially if you can get that 8.42 mill back above 9

9 million is probably doable. 10 million would require bringing back some connecting traffic. Who might do that? Not the ultra low-cost carriers, connecting traffic is an expensive operation, which thye avoid. I see only two possibilities: Southwest or American.  Southwest could double the size of their current operation without expanding their facilities or adding many staff. They are proceeding in that direction, but very slowly, being up about 50% since UA left. It's not hard seeing Southwest grow at CLE to 40-50 daily flights, a mini-hub.

American is a tougher case to make. It would require the Cleveland Clinic to say, "I've got a hospital in Abu Dhabi and I'm building one in London. Give me a non-stop to London with a good connection on your partner British to the Gulf and I'll guarantee the purchase of $X million in tickets." If AA added a flight to London, they might well want to add some feed to it from cities lacking European service. Indications they might do it: AA just acquired the old Continental wide-body gates and the adjacent common use (potential expansion) gates match their own equipment minus only the logo. Another reason AA might do it: they are more or less locked into perpetual number 2 in Chicago and need to expand somewhere. Doing it in CLE would be a finger in the eye of UA which just stole it's COO from them.  On the other hand, a reason they might not: they just walked away from being a strong #2 in PIT, where a similar scenario would be possible.

Remove Ads