Author Topic: Terrorism  (Read 58042 times)

Offline Hts121

• UO Supporting Member
  • It's still just like your opinion, man
Re: Terrorism
« Reply #700 on: April 21, 2017, 07:11:00 AM »
^I wonder who they want to win
Your true friends will help you up when someone knocks you down.  Your best friend will say "Stay down, I got this."

Offline ryanlammi

• Global Moderator
  • Cultural Marxist
    • Flickr Profile
Re: Radical Financial Terrorism
« Reply #701 on: April 21, 2017, 08:32:16 AM »
Bombing of Borussia Dortmund Bus Targeted Club’s Stock, Prosecutors Say

BERLIN — Germany’s elite antiterrorism unit has arrested a 28-year-old German-Russian man who is suspected of trying to blow up the Borussia Dortmund team bus, with the apparent aim of driving down the price of the club’s stock so he could profit through a speculation scheme, federal prosecutors said Friday.

The suspect, identified only as Sergei W. in keeping with German privacy laws, was charged with attempted murder, inflicting serious bodily harm and carrying out an explosion in the attack, whichwounded one player and one police officer.

His arrest represented the clearest explanation to date of the motive for an attack that has been attributed at various times to Islamist extremists and right-wing and left-wing political groups, and has added to election-year fears that Germany is vulnerable to terrorism.

According to prosecutors, the suspect had checked into the hotel where the team was staying. On the day of the attack, he purchased 15,000 put options over the internet for shares in Borussia Dortmund, which is publicly traded. These would have entitled him to sell shares later at a predetermined price.

The financial maneuver could have resulted in a substantial profit for the suspect if the shares had undergone a “massive fall” value in the interim, prosecutors said. “A significant share price drop could have been expected if a player had been seriously injured or even killed as a result of the attack,” they said.
"We both would have looked silly if he came in, got out and came back in.”

- Tim Burke, Hamilton County Democratic Party Chairman

Flickr Profile

Offline AmrapinVA

• 771'-Terminal Tower
« Reply #702 on: April 21, 2017, 09:06:04 AM »
http://www.un.org/apps/news/story.asp?NewsID=56547#.WPoDrP51qM8

'Alarming' rise in use of children in 'suicide' attacks by Boko Haram in Lake Chad region – UNICEF

12 April 2017 – The use of children, particularly girls, by the Boko Haram terrorist group in violent attacks in the Lake Chad region has seen an “alarming” surge in 2017, the United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF) has reported.

According to the UNICEF report, Silent Shame: Bringing out the voices of children caught in the Lake Chad crisis, 27 children have been used to carry out bomb attacks in public places across Nigeria, Chad, Niger and Cameroon in the first quarter of this year. During the same period last year, the number was nine.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-04-19/islamic-state-nears-egypt-tourism-hub-with-south-sinai-attack

Islamic State Nears Egypt Tourism Hub With South Sinai Attack

The Islamic State’s Egyptian affiliate claimed responsibility for an attack on a police checkpoint near St. Catherine’s Monastery in south Sinai, the latest strike by the group against Egypt’s Coptic Christian minority and the country’s vital tourism industry.

One policeman was killed and three others were wounded when militants opened fire at the checkpoint, the Interior Ministry said in a statement late Tuesday. Several militants were also injured in the shootout. The Islamic State claim was reported by SITE Intel Group, which monitors jihadist channels on social media.

« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 10:00:14 AM by AmrapinVA »

Offline Cleburger

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #703 on: April 21, 2017, 09:12:49 AM »
ISIS launched an attack in Paris, just days before the French presidential election:

PARIS SHOOTING Paris shooting leaves one policeman dead and ‘two seriously injured’ as ‘ISIS terrorists armed with AK47s’ open fire on the Champs-Élysée in Paris

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/3376910/paris-shooting-terror-attack-champs-elysees/

Dramatic video captures French police shooting dead ISIS terrorist who killed officer and wounded two others in AK-47 ambush on the Champs Elysees as manhunt launched for SECOND extremist - just days before French presidential election

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4429938/Major-road-Paris-closed-police.html

The good news is this kind of incident would never happen here in 'Merica where every other person is a law-abiding concealed carry guru waiting to save the world. 

Also nice to see--the police in Paris still wear police uniforms.   Here in the USA, they would have been delayed by 30 minutes to all run to the station and change into their woodland camo fatigues. 
I got some records from World War II
I play 'em just like me grand dad do
He was a rocker and I am too....Now Cleveland rocks....

Offline Ram23

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #704 on: April 21, 2017, 09:24:50 AM »
^^ How is that bus bomb terrorism? it was an attempt to make money.  The only relevance to this thread is that people had thought it might have been terrorism, but it seems it wasn't, so I guess that's good to know.

This is a good example of why the two separate threads made sense, by the way. The Paris attack yesterday was part of a coordinated, ongoing wave of terrorism perpetuated by radical Islamists against the western world. That's a different topic then some random guy trying to manipulate stock prices.

Offline ryanlammi

• Global Moderator
  • Cultural Marxist
    • Flickr Profile
« Reply #705 on: April 21, 2017, 09:37:54 AM »
^ I don't care enough to argue the definition of terrorism with you. It's a relevant development in a terrorism investigation.
"We both would have looked silly if he came in, got out and came back in.”

- Tim Burke, Hamilton County Democratic Party Chairman

Flickr Profile

Offline Ram23

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #706 on: April 26, 2017, 09:21:36 AM »
If you're a Radical Islamic Terrorist this might be the worst way to go:

Wild boars overrun Islamic State position, kill 3 militants

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2017/04/25/wild-boars-overrun-islamic-state-position-kill-3-militants/100876844/

Three Islamic State militants setting up an ambush in a bitterly contested area of northern Iraq were killed by a herd of stampeding boars, local leaders say.

Sheikh Anwar al-Assi, a chief of the local Ubaid tribe and supervisor of anti-ISIS forces, told The Times of London the militants were hiding on the edge of a field about 50 miles southwest of Kirkuk when the boars overwhelmed them Sunday. Five other militants were injured, al-Assi said. He said the group was poised to attack a band of local tribesmen who had fled to nearby mountains since militants seized the town of Hawija three years ago.

For an extra level of irony, check out the author's name.

Offline Cleburger

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #707 on: April 26, 2017, 12:13:20 PM »
There you go--we insert wild boars by the pallet load there and turn them loose.  No boots on the ground, but plenty of hooves!

Offline Hootenany

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #708 on: April 26, 2017, 12:27:07 PM »
^^Is it just me or does this story reek of propaganda?  Don't get me wrong, it's a great story and I can see why USA Today published it (and had Mr. Bacon write it), but it wasn't exactly independently verified now was it...

Offline TBideon

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #709 on: April 27, 2017, 08:14:25 PM »
https://bigstory.ap.org/article/2150816867454c288d74b212acdeac4e/belgium-sorry-it-helped-get-saudi-arabia-un-rights-panel

Belgium sorry it helped get Saudi Arabia on UN rights panel

In a year of unbelievably a$$-backwards, self-sabatoging decisions globally, this is up there.

Offline Foraker

• 574'-Carew Tower
« Reply #710 on: April 28, 2017, 05:12:53 PM »

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #711 on: April 28, 2017, 09:20:06 PM »
A Trump Supporter Allegedly Attacked Students At A Kentucky University With A Machete
The suspect, who once wrote a BuzzFeed post about conservatives being discriminated against on liberal campuses, reportedly asked students about their political affiliations as he attacked them.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/davidmack/a-trump-supporter-allegedly-attacked-students-at-a-school?utm_term=.cmm2D37Z6#.ldYrXWMpb
"Greater Cleveland is last in the country in number of jobs accessible in typical commute distance, creating a huge drag on economy and more air & water pollution."-- Vibrant NEO

Offline Ram23

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #712 on: April 28, 2017, 11:04:16 PM »
^ Seems like a mean guy, I'm glad no one was seriously hurt.

Meanwhile, a Radical Islamic Terror attack that claimed 140 lives this week snuck under the radar of American media. The NY Times had this article on page 37 or so:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/22/world/asia/taliban-afghanistan-military-base-soldiers-killed.html?_r=0

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #713 on: April 28, 2017, 11:15:25 PM »
When they get close to the millions of Muslims slaughtered by American soldiers, let me know.
"Greater Cleveland is last in the country in number of jobs accessible in typical commute distance, creating a huge drag on economy and more air & water pollution."-- Vibrant NEO

Offline Hts121

• UO Supporting Member
« Reply #714 on: April 29, 2017, 12:49:01 PM »
"Meanwhile".... haha
Your true friends will help you up when someone knocks you down.  Your best friend will say "Stay down, I got this."

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #715 on: May 16, 2017, 01:22:42 PM »
They hate the US government, and they're multiplying: the terrifying rise of 'sovereign citizens'
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/may/15/sovereign-citizens-rightwing-terrorism-hate-us-government?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Offline MGM

• 367'-PNC Bank
« Reply #716 on: May 23, 2017, 07:40:50 AM »
Manchester Arena Suicide Bombing: 22 Die at Ariana Grande Concert

MANCHESTER, England — Children were among 22 people killed in a suicide attack after an Ariana Grande concert at Britain's Manchester Arena, police said early Tuesday.

The bomber also died when he detonated an improvised explosive device near one of the venue's exits at 10:33 p.m. local time (5:33 p.m. ET) on Monday, according to authorities.
http://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/deaths-injuries-confirmed-after-explosions-heard-u-k-concert-featuring-n763286

Offline Ram23

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #717 on: May 23, 2017, 08:11:24 AM »
^ Given who the main demographic is at an Ariana Grande concert (tween girls), this terrorist seems to have purposefully targeted children.

Indiscriminate mass murders like this one shouldn't be accepted as the new normal.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 08:11:45 AM by Ram23 »

Offline MGM

• 367'-PNC Bank
« Reply #718 on: May 23, 2017, 08:29:09 AM »
^ Given who the main demographic is at an Ariana Grande concert (tween girls), this terrorist seems to have purposefully targeted children.

Indiscriminate mass murders like this one shouldn't be accepted as the new normal.
Very cold blooded and evil. I hope the injured in the hospitals all make a full recovery.

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #719 on: May 23, 2017, 01:41:24 PM »
Tomorrow's terrorists.....

TRUMP EFFECT INSPIRES RADICAL CHRISTIANS IN MILITARY
http://www.newsweek.com/christian-fundamentalists-us-armed-forces-national-security-threat-613428

Offline eastvillagedon

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #720 on: May 23, 2017, 01:47:50 PM »
^good grief! was that supposed to be a straight news article?? No wonder people hate the mainstream media. They don't even pretend to hide their bigotry anymore!

Offline Hts121

• UO Supporting Member
« Reply #721 on: May 23, 2017, 02:10:44 PM »
How can reporting on bigotry be bigotry itself?

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #722 on: May 23, 2017, 04:23:31 PM »
The suicide bomber in Manchester was born in Britain, Jay Sekulow, you unbelievable dipsh!t. https://t.co/RR6u6QLmXw

Offline Ram23

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #723 on: May 23, 2017, 10:42:18 PM »
^ His parents were Libyan refugees. It's interesting that we have been seeing a lot of second generation Islamic terrorists in recent years. The immigrants and refugees themselves seem to be thankful for the most part, but their children, who never knew the horrors of their homeland, harbor resentment.

Tomorrow's terrorists.....

TRUMP EFFECT INSPIRES RADICAL CHRISTIANS IN MILITARY
http://www.newsweek.com/christian-fundamentalists-us-armed-forces-national-security-threat-613428

Why did you feel it was necessary to post this in a thread about terrorism? I don't see the relevance. It's particularly odd given you did it the day after a Radical Islamic Terrorist murdered 22 people, mostly little girls, at a concert. It almost seems like you wanted to deflect from that story.

Online down4cle

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #724 on: May 23, 2017, 10:45:47 PM »
The story is about terrorism.  Why don't you have any respect for differing opinions?

Offline Cleburger

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #725 on: May 23, 2017, 10:53:17 PM »
^ His parents were Libyan refugees. It's interesting that we have been seeing a lot of second generation Islamic terrorists in recent years. The immigrants and refugees themselves seem to be thankful for the most part, but their children, who never knew the horrors of their homeland, harbor resentment. 

It's all about opportunity.  I liken this to glorifying gangs in the US inner cities.  The kids look up to them and are recruited while they are young and don't know any better.  This kind of radical Islamic kid is no different.

Offline BCCLE1

• 468'-Scripps Center
« Reply #726 on: May 25, 2017, 09:51:17 AM »
Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but here it is anyway. Which is worse, that this person was a Neo-Nazi, or that he converted to Islam and then murdered two of his former Neo-Nazi friends.

Florida Neo-Nazi Converts To Islam. Guess What Happens Next...

It's bizarre as it sounds.

CN Jacob Airey

May 23, 2017

A former Florida neo-Nazi murdered his skinhead roommates after he converted to Islam, claiming that they disrespected his faith.
According to the Tampa Bay Times, the group had explosives in their home. The police have started an ongoing investigation into one of the most bizarre news reports of the day......

http://www.conservativenews.com/article/2823/florida-neo-nazi-converts-islam-then

Online down4cle

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #727 on: May 25, 2017, 09:54:20 AM »
^why am I not surprised this happened in Florida.

Offline Hts121

• UO Supporting Member
« Reply #728 on: May 25, 2017, 09:54:44 AM »
I wonder if he has a valid case for self defense?  /s

And, yes, this is where we put all stories about any of the over 1 billion Muslims around the world who commit any acts of violence.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 09:56:11 AM by Hts121 »

Offline Ram23

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #729 on: May 26, 2017, 09:31:31 AM »
Egypt: 26 dead as gunmen fire on bus carrying Coptic Christians

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/05/26/africa/egypt-shooting-coptic-christians/index.html?adkey=bn

I ended up going down a rabbit  hole on Wikipedia while reading about this story. Over the last few years terrorism has become so widespread and frequent that a new article is created every month. So far there have been 133 terrorist attacks in May - the vast majority of which are Radical Islamic Terrorism (I count about 15 that aren't):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_terrorist_incidents_in_May_2017

Online down4cle

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #730 on: May 26, 2017, 09:33:31 AM »
It all depends on what you classify as a terrorist attack and who reports on it.  Objectivity.

Offline Ram23

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #731 on: May 26, 2017, 09:38:24 AM »
^ Do you have any specific criticism of how Wikipedia classifies terror attacks? Any examples of what should be on that list, but isn't, or something that's on it and shouldn't be? It seems pretty fair to me.

Online down4cle

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #732 on: May 26, 2017, 09:39:25 AM »
If you go through many of my posts on this board you will see plenty in incidents not considered terrorist attacks that should be. I don't feel like compiling them for someone who has an agenda.

Also, looking at terrorist incidents from one month is pretty stupid, don't you agree?
« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 09:40:59 AM by down4cle »

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #733 on: May 26, 2017, 09:58:11 AM »
Katie Hopkins, the Sean Hannity of Britain, finally goes too far.

British Columnist’s Career Implodes After ‘Final Solution’ Tweet
by Ken Meyer | 8:39 am, May 26th, 2017

A British broadcaster and tabloid columnist has been sacked from her radio job after saying on Twitter that a “final solution” was necessary after the bombing in Manchester this week.

Katie Hopkins, a Mail Online writer and host for Leading Britain’s Conversation (LBC), lost her radio gig shortly after posting a highly-controversial tweet about the terror attack that left 22 people dead and dozens more hospitalized:

MORE:
http://www.mediaite.com/online/british-columnists-career-implodes-after-final-solution-tweet/

Offline Ram23

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #734 on: May 26, 2017, 10:12:59 AM »
^ On cue - in the wake of a deadly Radical Islamic Terror attack, a deflection to a story about a Tweet from someone most people have never heard of.

^^ So your answers are no, no, and no? Noted. And in answer to your question: no. Looking at a list of terrorist attacks in the past month is in no way "stupid." There are links at the bottom of that article to previous months and years if you'd like to have more context.

Remove Ads