Author Topic: Terrorism  (Read 48567 times)

Offline Hts121

• UO Supporting Member
  • It's still just like your opinion, man
Re: Terrorism
« Reply #700 on: April 21, 2017, 07:11:00 AM »
^I wonder who they want to win
Your true friends will help you up when someone knocks you down.  Your best friend will say "Stay down, I got this."

Offline ryanlammi

• Global Moderator
  • Cultural Marxist
    • Flickr Profile
Re: Radical Financial Terrorism
« Reply #701 on: April 21, 2017, 08:32:16 AM »
Bombing of Borussia Dortmund Bus Targeted Club’s Stock, Prosecutors Say

BERLIN — Germany’s elite antiterrorism unit has arrested a 28-year-old German-Russian man who is suspected of trying to blow up the Borussia Dortmund team bus, with the apparent aim of driving down the price of the club’s stock so he could profit through a speculation scheme, federal prosecutors said Friday.

The suspect, identified only as Sergei W. in keeping with German privacy laws, was charged with attempted murder, inflicting serious bodily harm and carrying out an explosion in the attack, whichwounded one player and one police officer.

His arrest represented the clearest explanation to date of the motive for an attack that has been attributed at various times to Islamist extremists and right-wing and left-wing political groups, and has added to election-year fears that Germany is vulnerable to terrorism.

According to prosecutors, the suspect had checked into the hotel where the team was staying. On the day of the attack, he purchased 15,000 put options over the internet for shares in Borussia Dortmund, which is publicly traded. These would have entitled him to sell shares later at a predetermined price.

The financial maneuver could have resulted in a substantial profit for the suspect if the shares had undergone a “massive fall” value in the interim, prosecutors said. “A significant share price drop could have been expected if a player had been seriously injured or even killed as a result of the attack,” they said.
"We both would have looked silly if he came in, got out and came back in.”

- Tim Burke, Hamilton County Democratic Party Chairman

Flickr Profile

Offline AmrapinVA

• 771'-Terminal Tower
« Reply #702 on: April 21, 2017, 09:06:04 AM »
http://www.un.org/apps/news/story.asp?NewsID=56547#.WPoDrP51qM8

'Alarming' rise in use of children in 'suicide' attacks by Boko Haram in Lake Chad region – UNICEF

12 April 2017 – The use of children, particularly girls, by the Boko Haram terrorist group in violent attacks in the Lake Chad region has seen an “alarming” surge in 2017, the United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF) has reported.

According to the UNICEF report, Silent Shame: Bringing out the voices of children caught in the Lake Chad crisis, 27 children have been used to carry out bomb attacks in public places across Nigeria, Chad, Niger and Cameroon in the first quarter of this year. During the same period last year, the number was nine.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-04-19/islamic-state-nears-egypt-tourism-hub-with-south-sinai-attack

Islamic State Nears Egypt Tourism Hub With South Sinai Attack

The Islamic State’s Egyptian affiliate claimed responsibility for an attack on a police checkpoint near St. Catherine’s Monastery in south Sinai, the latest strike by the group against Egypt’s Coptic Christian minority and the country’s vital tourism industry.

One policeman was killed and three others were wounded when militants opened fire at the checkpoint, the Interior Ministry said in a statement late Tuesday. Several militants were also injured in the shootout. The Islamic State claim was reported by SITE Intel Group, which monitors jihadist channels on social media.

« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 10:00:14 AM by AmrapinVA »

Offline Cleburger

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #703 on: April 21, 2017, 09:12:49 AM »
ISIS launched an attack in Paris, just days before the French presidential election:

PARIS SHOOTING Paris shooting leaves one policeman dead and ‘two seriously injured’ as ‘ISIS terrorists armed with AK47s’ open fire on the Champs-Élysée in Paris

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/3376910/paris-shooting-terror-attack-champs-elysees/

Dramatic video captures French police shooting dead ISIS terrorist who killed officer and wounded two others in AK-47 ambush on the Champs Elysees as manhunt launched for SECOND extremist - just days before French presidential election

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4429938/Major-road-Paris-closed-police.html

The good news is this kind of incident would never happen here in 'Merica where every other person is a law-abiding concealed carry guru waiting to save the world. 

Also nice to see--the police in Paris still wear police uniforms.   Here in the USA, they would have been delayed by 30 minutes to all run to the station and change into their woodland camo fatigues. 
I got some records from World War II
I play 'em just like me grand dad do
He was a rocker and I am too....Now Cleveland rocks....

Offline Ram23

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #704 on: April 21, 2017, 09:24:50 AM »
^^ How is that bus bomb terrorism? it was an attempt to make money.  The only relevance to this thread is that people had thought it might have been terrorism, but it seems it wasn't, so I guess that's good to know.

This is a good example of why the two separate threads made sense, by the way. The Paris attack yesterday was part of a coordinated, ongoing wave of terrorism perpetuated by radical Islamists against the western world. That's a different topic then some random guy trying to manipulate stock prices.

Offline ryanlammi

• Global Moderator
  • Cultural Marxist
    • Flickr Profile
« Reply #705 on: April 21, 2017, 09:37:54 AM »
^ I don't care enough to argue the definition of terrorism with you. It's a relevant development in a terrorism investigation.
"We both would have looked silly if he came in, got out and came back in.”

- Tim Burke, Hamilton County Democratic Party Chairman

Flickr Profile

Offline Ram23

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #706 on: Yesterday at 09:21:36 AM »
If you're a Radical Islamic Terrorist this might be the worst way to go:

Wild boars overrun Islamic State position, kill 3 militants

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2017/04/25/wild-boars-overrun-islamic-state-position-kill-3-militants/100876844/

Three Islamic State militants setting up an ambush in a bitterly contested area of northern Iraq were killed by a herd of stampeding boars, local leaders say.

Sheikh Anwar al-Assi, a chief of the local Ubaid tribe and supervisor of anti-ISIS forces, told The Times of London the militants were hiding on the edge of a field about 50 miles southwest of Kirkuk when the boars overwhelmed them Sunday. Five other militants were injured, al-Assi said. He said the group was poised to attack a band of local tribesmen who had fled to nearby mountains since militants seized the town of Hawija three years ago.

For an extra level of irony, check out the author's name.

Offline Cleburger

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #707 on: Yesterday at 12:13:20 PM »
There you go--we insert wild boars by the pallet load there and turn them loose.  No boots on the ground, but plenty of hooves!
I got some records from World War II
I play 'em just like me grand dad do
He was a rocker and I am too....Now Cleveland rocks....

Online Hootenany

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #708 on: Yesterday at 12:27:07 PM »
^^Is it just me or does this story reek of propaganda?  Don't get me wrong, it's a great story and I can see why USA Today published it (and had Mr. Bacon write it), but it wasn't exactly independently verified now was it...

Remove Ads