Author Topic: Cleveland: Downtown: Standard Building  (Read 23903 times)

Offline mrclifton88

• Premium Member
Re: Cleveland: Downtown: Standard Building
« Reply #70 on: January 11, 2017, 01:53:13 PM »
Alright!  Finally got photo evidence.  There is actually a strip of windows all the way down the western side of the Public Square face of the building.  Wonder if they plan to do more?  How much of the back wall is taken up with the elevators/stairs (I always understood that they were on the back of the building, therefore why they couldn't add windows to the whole wall)?

Offline surfohio

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #71 on: January 11, 2017, 02:05:32 PM »
^ Holy cow!!!

Offline YABO713

• 408'-Kettering Tower
« Reply #72 on: January 11, 2017, 03:47:56 PM »
Looks clean!!! I would assume that the cost of window installation on the side of a 300' building is an extreme investment. I think that would be another benefit of selling condos instead of renting apartments.
"They tell me of the River Cuyahoga in the Ohio territory; upon it a great city will emerge." - Correspondence of Thomas Jefferson in drafting 'Notes on the State of Virginia'

Offline ASPhotoman

• 0'-Surface Lot
« Reply #73 on: January 11, 2017, 04:18:38 PM »
Were there windows installed previously on the wall? From the pictures you can see faint discolorations that look like they line up perfectly with the new windows.

Offline seicer

• Premium Member
« Reply #74 on: January 11, 2017, 07:36:18 PM »
And the ghost lettering!

Offline sky

• 468'-Scripps Center
« Reply #75 on: January 11, 2017, 07:46:31 PM »
Weston wanted to install more windows on that blank wall but are limited by the tax credit restrictions.

Offline surfohio

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #76 on: January 11, 2017, 08:35:33 PM »
Weston wanted to install more windows on that blank wall but are limited by the tax credit restrictions.

Ugh, that's idiotic.

Offline willyboy

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
    • National Trust for Historic Preservation
« Reply #77 on: January 12, 2017, 09:10:43 AM »

Ugh, that's idiotic.

But there is an area down the center where its seems they once were.  Were they originally there and removed?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 10:48:36 AM by willyboy »
The National Trust for Historic Preservation http://www.preservationnation.org/  Become a member!

Offline jam40jeff

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #78 on: January 12, 2017, 09:42:01 AM »

Ugh, that's idiotic.

But there is an area down the center where its seems they once were.  Were they original there?

Could another building have once butted up against this one?  There is a small "newer" (like 50s/60s) building sitting in between this one and the Old Stone Church.

Offline mrclifton88

• Premium Member
« Reply #79 on: January 12, 2017, 09:54:24 AM »
I think this was discussed upthread.  There was another building planned at one time but never happened.  The other building that sits in between the church and the Standard is the offices for the church.  And at one time there were windows down the center, as you can see here:

Offline StrapHanger

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #80 on: January 12, 2017, 09:55:02 AM »
^^I don't think so. Nothing of any notable size. The Standard Building's rear is a lot line wall adjacent to a site the developer no doubt expected would be built out at some point. No different from the eastern wall of Halle's, for example which was a big blank face on PH Square until the Wyndham covered most of it up.

EDIT: that photo^ also shows another lot line wall. There's nothing really unusual about the blank wall on the Standard Bldg. I'm also a little skeptical there's really any leasable space along it, unless WESTON planned to relocated the corridors in that part of the floor plates.

EDIT2: oops, I meant Weston, not K&D. Thanks for correcting, mrclifton.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 01:07:05 PM by StrapHanger »
"Cleveland, as you see, is not an apple, but a bunch of grapes each of which has its own particular pattern-some large, others small, some round, others long and narrow, some sweet, others sour, some sound, others rotten throughout."  -Howard Whipple Green, 1932

Offline viscomi

• 408'-Kettering Tower
« Reply #81 on: January 12, 2017, 11:23:09 AM »
Seems like a excellent place for a residential high-rise, between Old Stone Church and the Standard Building.

Offline Htsguy

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #82 on: January 12, 2017, 11:28:42 AM »
^^I don't think so. Nothing of any notable size. The Standard Building's rear is a lot line wall adjacent to a site the developer no doubt expected would be built out at some point. No different from the eastern wall of Halle's, for example which was a big blank face on PH Square until the Wyndham covered most of it up.

EDIT: that photo^ also shows another lot line wall. There's nothing really unusual about the blank wall on the Standard Bldg. I'm also a little skeptical there's really any leasable space along it, unless K&D planned to relocated the corridors in that part of the floor plates.

Is K&D a partner in this project?  I thought Weston was doing it on its own.

Offline mrclifton88

• Premium Member
« Reply #83 on: January 12, 2017, 11:35:31 AM »
K&D has nothing to do with this, they are finishing the Leader Building and then moving on to the Halle.  The Standard Building is all Weston

Offline BCCLE1

• 468'-Scripps Center
« Reply #84 on: January 12, 2017, 11:52:37 AM »
I think this was discussed upthread.  There was another building planned at one time but never happened.  The other building that sits in between the church and the Standard is the offices for the church.  And at one time there were windows down the center, as you can see here:

I saw this picture too when I looked for pictures of the Standard Building. According to the person who posted the picture on Instagram, the picture was taken in the 1930's.

Here's my thoughts on the windows; I am not sure that one can tell from the 1930's picture if there truly were windows there, or not. But then why would there be in the 1930's picture, or the more recent pictures posted by mrclifton88 an area of the building facing PS what truly does look like windows in the 1930's picture, and in the mrcliffton88 pictures what looks like windows that were covered up at some point.

There definitely were no windows at any time in the history of the building where Weston has opened up the building and put in windows during the current renovations (on the far western portion of the south facing wall).

My thinking is that there might have been a compromise on the part of the developers and the state historic tax credit people that allowed the new windows on the south facing portion of the building to replace what might have been on that same wall where we all can see what looks like covered up windows in the mrcliffon88 pictures.

Anyone in the know, know?

Offline simplythis

• 555'-LeVeque Tower
« Reply #85 on: January 12, 2017, 01:22:15 PM »
Exactly what intersection is this picture.  I seem to not be able to pinpoint it.

Offline mrclifton88

• Premium Member
« Reply #86 on: January 12, 2017, 01:29:47 PM »
Superior and West 3rd i believe.  The Renaissance Hotel is to the right, and you can barely see 75 Public Square from behind the buildings that are now a parking lot.

Offline Htsguy

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #87 on: January 12, 2017, 01:32:22 PM »
^The left hand bottom is Superior and Prospect (really cannot see the intersection).  More towards the middle is Superior and West Third.

Offline jam40jeff

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #88 on: January 12, 2017, 02:17:55 PM »
Yes, and 55 Public Square is blocking the view of The Standard Building.  It and parking lots replaced all that density in the foreground.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 02:18:16 PM by jam40jeff »

Offline musky

• SPRAWL KILLS !!!
  • 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Where there is no vision, the people perish.
    • Cleveland vs. The World
« Reply #89 on: January 17, 2017, 10:26:30 AM »
Here ya go

Offline surfohio

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #90 on: January 17, 2017, 11:28:57 AM »

Offline surfohio

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #91 on: January 17, 2017, 11:29:36 AM »
^ What you talkin' bout Willis?

Offline viscomi

• 408'-Kettering Tower
« Reply #92 on: March 10, 2017, 11:36:33 AM »
Sure seems like they are putting in more windows on the south face of the building.

Offline Urbanophile

• 665'-Queen City Square
« Reply #93 on: March 10, 2017, 05:31:36 PM »
^ those notches have been there for a while. I have no idea what they're for.

Offline originaljbw

• 629'-Rhodes State Tower
  • Livin in the OB!
« Reply #94 on: March 11, 2017, 02:18:35 AM »
^live action platforming game.
-Mea Gloria Fides-

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #95 on: May 11, 2017, 12:19:32 AM »
I had no idea this building had interior spaces like this....

Breaking Ground
PHOTOS: inside the grand and historic Standard Building
KARIN CONNELLY RICE | WEDNESDAY, MAY 10, 2017

As only the second owner in the Standard Building’s history, Weston, Inc. has spent the past three years transforming the former bank and office building into 281 apartments that follow the latest trends in downtown Cleveland living.

The building sits in the heart of downtown at 99 W. St. Clair Ave. Now dubbed simply, The Standard, the project is set to be completed later this year. The building once housed the offices of famed Cleveland safety director Eliot Ness and served as a registration site for draftees during World War II through the 1960s.

“There’s staggering history there and we’re only the second owner,” says Suzanne Broadbent, Weston’s dealmaker. “We’re very excited about this project. It’s a huge project for us and a huge project for downtown Cleveland, We think it will change the landscape of downtown.”

Fresh Water recently had the chance to get a sneak peek at the progress in the historic building during a Cleveland Restoration Society SNOOPS tour.

MORE:
http://www.freshwatercleveland.com/breaking-ground/TheStandard051017.aspx
"George Washington could never tell a lie.
Richard Nixon could never tell the truth.
Donald Trump cannot tell the difference."

-- Mark Shields,  News Hour

Offline surfohio

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #96 on: May 11, 2017, 01:17:14 AM »
The windows can’t be seen if you’re standing in Public Square, says Baniszewski, in keeping with the historic look of the building and historic tax credit requirements, but “it’s a really cool picture postcard view of the Terminal Tower,” he says.

This is ridiculous. Do the tax credits actually require that an enormous blank, windowless wall face Public Square? That can't be right.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 01:17:45 AM by surfohio »

Offline 327

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Fascinating
« Reply #97 on: May 11, 2017, 08:14:34 AM »
For me, it needs a painting of Brian Sipe on it to look historic.
Vibrate your greenspace today with Frank Jackson

Offline bumsquare

• 665'-Queen City Square
« Reply #98 on: May 11, 2017, 08:18:43 AM »
For me, it needs a painting of Brian Sipe on it to look historic.
Hahahahahaha good call!

Offline StrapHanger

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #99 on: May 11, 2017, 09:43:00 AM »
The windows can’t be seen if you’re standing in Public Square, says Baniszewski, in keeping with the historic look of the building and historic tax credit requirements, but “it’s a really cool picture postcard view of the Terminal Tower,” he says.

This is ridiculous. Do the tax credits actually require that an enormous blank, windowless wall face Public Square? That can't be right.

Good question. @ink, do you know if this is the case?

The program has obviously been a huge boon, but would be a bummer if it were taken to literal extremes in cases like this.
"Cleveland, as you see, is not an apple, but a bunch of grapes each of which has its own particular pattern-some large, others small, some round, others long and narrow, some sweet, others sour, some sound, others rotten throughout."  -Howard Whipple Green, 1932

Offline sky

• 468'-Scripps Center
« Reply #100 on: May 11, 2017, 10:05:02 AM »

Unfortunately tax credits are super restrictive.  Hopefully a smart politician will loosen some of the rules about windows.

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #101 on: May 11, 2017, 10:09:57 AM »
Put a mesh mural/banner on that blank wall, then secretly cut windows out of the wall.
"George Washington could never tell a lie.
Richard Nixon could never tell the truth.
Donald Trump cannot tell the difference."

-- Mark Shields,  News Hour

Offline mrclifton88

• Premium Member
« Reply #102 on: May 11, 2017, 10:14:54 AM »
Those interiors are remarkable.  I did notice that one bedroom apartments are starting around $1700+ at this building?  That is pretty high.  It seems we are pushing avg. rent Downtown upwards very quickly with these new projects.  Some of the K&D re-habs have rents starting under 1,000 but I think those days are nearly behind us.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 10:15:22 AM by mrclifton88 »

Offline ink

• UO Supporting Moderator
« Reply #103 on: May 11, 2017, 10:19:37 AM »

Good question. @ink, do you know if this is the case?

The program has obviously been a huge boon, but would be a bummer if it were taken to literal extremes in cases like this.

I do not know the specifics about this project, although from my memory of the interior of the building, much of the back wall is consumed by elevators so windows would not be feasible.

In general, new window openings are a point of scrutiny in tax credit reviews. I worked on a project in Columbus where windows were restricted on the side elevation of an industrial building because it would have changed the industrial character of that building. As an industrial storage building, it would have never had windows so introducing a ton of glass was incongruous.

I have seen window openings permitted on elevations with more limited visibility (looking into an alley, property rear, side street, etc.), but given that this elevation is highly visible I'm sure there was concern about changing the character of the building. It's an urban, lot-line building built with the expectation that a neighbor would block its views in the future. But again, I'm not sure that windows would have even been feasible given the building's floorplan.

Offline clvlndr

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #104 on: May 11, 2017, 10:36:06 AM »
Pretty exciting.  The Standard has beautiful Art Deco detailing... When this building is finished, along with TT, the Beacon, Garfield and, maybe, Union Trust, the downtown apt population is going to skyrocket.

Remove Ads