Author Topic: Cleveland: Downtown: Standard Building  (Read 26120 times)

Offline surfohio

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
Re: Cleveland: Downtown: Standard Building
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2015, 12:54:36 PM »
I've been concerned that the shift of office to residential may drive some people to the burbs.  I know my building in independence is offering rents extremely cheap due to the vacancy rates along Rockside.  It's truly a "ghost town" there compared to what it was 10 to 15 years ago. 

I've done some work in Independence. The only pro I can think of was seeing coyotes run across the parking lot every now and then.

Offline jmc8651

• 468'-Scripps Center
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2015, 02:25:40 PM »
It will be hard for downtown to retain some businesses which want to own their HQ. I believe the company that sold 75 Public SQ is also headed to Independence. Many suburban markets offer cheaper ownership opportunities.  However I think a lot of the displaced tenants will remain downtown. Many of these tenants are small litigation firms which value proximity to the courts. Plus there is still a ton of space downtown at the $15-16 dollar psf price point. 

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2015, 08:46:02 AM »
United Transportation Union already moved "outward" from downtown Lakewood to North Olmsted.

The Teamsters District Council HQ is just up the street from Independence, in Brooklyn Heights. And the BLE is part of the Teamsters as of a few years ago.
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I'll tell you what you value." -- Joe Biden

Offline freethink

• 1450'-Willis Tower
« Reply #38 on: October 09, 2015, 09:21:02 AM »
Michelle had these from the meeting.

Michelle J. McFee ‏@mjarboe
Weston has no plans, at this point, to replace or mimic onetime "The Standard Building" sign on building's big, blank south face.

24h24 hours ago
Weston exec estimates that developer will replace 1,320 windows in Standard Building north of Public Square as part of apartment conversion.

24h24 hours ago
At a #CLE Landmarks Commission presentation re: Standard Building redo. Plans for 285 apartments. Addy's, PNC stay on ground floor for now.

I would consider using the wall as a video display. But the video 'mesh' type display that they used at the Cle Institute of Art. You see it used a lot in Time Square. They are much more energy efficient and less expensive than traditional video display. And they look great.
live small  dream big

Offline msa1092

• 367'-PNC Bank
« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2015, 12:01:40 AM »
I always thought that huge blank wall would be great for a mural or advertising.

Offline dave68

• 629'-Rhodes State Tower
« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2015, 12:22:30 PM »
i wonder why the southern side never had windows. For a building, with such a prominent view from Public Square, I always felt the terra cotta details should have continued on the back.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 09:50:52 PM by dave68 »

Offline freethink

• 1450'-Willis Tower
« Reply #41 on: October 10, 2015, 09:49:28 PM »
^Yes that would have been nice. Or if the whole building could have been rotated 90° so the entrance would have been on Ontario. But it was not uncommon for buildings of that era to have a blank wall.  From what I recall when Weston bought the Standard it was mentioned that the buildings elevators are along the back wall so punching in windows was not feasible. Even if the historic tax credits allowed it. Our only hope is maybe the OldStone Parish building which is the structure just South of the Standard can be replaced one day with something taller. But that property has been in the churches hands for a long long time.
live small  dream big

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #42 on: October 11, 2015, 09:22:23 AM »
i wonder why the southern side never had windows. For a building, with such a prominent view from Public Square, I always felt the terra cotta details should have continued on the back.

Because the part of the Standard Building that was built was Phase 1. There was consideration in the 1920s of demolishing the Old Stone Church, which was only 70 years old at that time, and constructing the Phase 2 office building in its place.

Any time you see a blank wall like that (Lebron mural wall at Landmark office tower, blank wall of The 9 facing Euclid Ave), it's an example of a construction phase that was never undertaken.
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I'll tell you what you value." -- Joe Biden

Offline StrapHanger

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #43 on: October 11, 2015, 12:13:00 PM »
^Did the Standard Bldg owners ever control the Old Stone Church lot? They may have an eye on a second phase, but the more usual reason for blank or "unfinished" building walls is that they face shared lot lines, so any windows (or fancy facade materials) are liable to be sealed up by by a future adjacent building, unless a developer owns both lots or controls the air rights over the shorter building. In most cities, lot line windows are permitted, but don't meet code requirements.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 08:50:50 AM by StrapHanger »
"Cleveland, as you see, is not an apple, but a bunch of grapes each of which has its own particular pattern-some large, others small, some round, others long and narrow, some sweet, others sour, some sound, others rotten throughout."  -Howard Whipple Green, 1932

Offline mrnyc

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
    • friends of the highline
« Reply #44 on: October 11, 2015, 12:33:05 PM »
there are sometimes unsightly/sometimes cool looking blank walls via neighboring teardowns as well.
"That whole rural thing. It's a joke." Ed Koch

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #45 on: October 11, 2015, 12:55:10 PM »
there are sometimes unsightly/sometimes cool looking blank walls via neighboring teardowns as well.

True. An example is the missing tooth between the Rockefeller Building and the Perry-Payne Building. But the building that was there predated the other two and was smaller than them as well.

Offline Whipjacka

• 771'-Terminal Tower
« Reply #46 on: October 11, 2015, 01:26:09 PM »
Maybe the expected the building between the church and the standard to be more than 3 stories tall
"got this thang licked like stamps and 9 volt battery end caps"~Big Boi

Offline freethink

• 1450'-Willis Tower
« Reply #47 on: October 11, 2015, 11:13:53 PM »
^Did the Standard Bldg owners ever control the Old Stone Church lot? They may have an eye on a second phase, but the more usual reason for blank or "unfinished" building walls is that they face shared lot lines, so any windows (or fancy facade materials) are libel to be sealed up by by a future adjacent building, unless a developer owns both lots or controls the air rights over the shorter building. In most cities, lot line windows are permitted, but don't meet code requirements.

If you read the history of that space on the Old Stone website it doesn't sound like that property was ever in jeopardy of leaving the churches hands.  http://www.oldstonechurch.org/the-arts/history-architecture
Especially when the Standard Bank pretty much dissolved into two other banks not long after the building was constructed. And I can't find any evidence of a 'Phase 2' anywhere.
live small  dream big

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #48 on: October 11, 2015, 11:43:44 PM »
And I can't find any evidence of a 'Phase 2' anywhere.

Except the blank wall facing a major city's public square and the bank of elevators not put in the center of the Standard Building, but rather placed on the other side of that blank wall. In archaeology, this is called a positive correlation. ;)
« Last Edit: October 11, 2015, 11:46:08 PM by KJP »

Offline ink

• UO Supporting Moderator
« Reply #49 on: October 12, 2015, 06:50:35 AM »
And I can't find any evidence of a 'Phase 2' anywhere.

Except the blank wall facing a major city's public square and the bank of elevators not put in the center of the Standard Building, but rather placed on the other side of that blank wall. In archaeology, this is called a positive correlation. ;)

It was very common that urban buildings built to a lot line (not talking right of way lot lines) would not have any windows or openings on the lot line facade. If you did not own additional land or an easement, another building could be built up against you at any time--and that was certainly a possibility when the Standand was built--so you set yourself up for the next guy in the block and put your elevators and windowless uses on the potential/future common wall. I am not sure how much they worried about fire back in those days--I assume they did--but today if you put windows in any building on the lot line, you may have to plan fireblocks or other mechanisms to prevent fire from jumping from your building to the next.

If the building was planned for an addition/phase 2, I think a good clue would be the floorplan and circulation. If the cooridors are stubbed or elevators/stairs are overbuilt capacity-wise, that might be a sign.

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #50 on: October 22, 2015, 09:35:14 AM »
Change of use request:

http://planning.city.cleveland.oh.us/bza/agenda/2015/crr11-09-2015.pdf

Board of Zoning Appeals
NOVEMBER 9, 2015

9:30
Calendar No. 15-229: 1370 Ontario Street Ward 3
Joe Cimperman
4 Notices
1370 Standard Building LLC, owner, proposes to change use of office building to 285 residential units
with ground floor retail, and exterior alterations to building including exterior façade, window and
roof replacement in an E5 General Retail Business District. The owner appeals for relief from the
following sections of the Cleveland Codified Ordinances:
1. Section 355.04(b) which states that in an “E” area district, the maximum gross floor area of a
residential building in any use district cannot exceed one & one half times the lot area. Lot
2 | P a g e
area of 22,676 square feet allows a maximum gross floor area of 34,014 square feet. The
gross floor area of the building is approximately 350,000 square feet.
2. Section 357.01(c) which states that rear and interior side yards are required for a residence
building in a General Retail Business District.
3. Section 357.08(b)(2) which states that a rear yard equal to one half the height of the building
is required none provided.
4. Section 357.09(b)(2)(C) which states that an interior side yard equal to one fourth the height
of the building is required none provided.
5. Section 341.02 which states that review and approval of the Cleveland Landmarks
Commission is required. (Filed October 12, 2015)

Offline ExPatClevGuy

• 408'-Kettering Tower
« Reply #51 on: March 11, 2016, 09:14:16 AM »
In this screen capture from the Turner Hilton Webcam this morning, it looks like Construction activity on the upper floors of the Standard Building. 
Any news of such progress at this site?

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #52 on: March 11, 2016, 09:16:19 AM »
In this screen capture from the Turner Hilton Webcam this morning, it looks like Construction activity on the upper floors of the Standard Building. 
Any news of such progress at this site?

Good job! You can be a private detective any time you want! Nice job not paying attention to the obvious and instead noticing the not-so obvious!

Offline PoshSteve

• 629'-Rhodes State Tower
« Reply #53 on: March 12, 2016, 12:54:01 PM »
Definitely doing something there. I noticed some large construction dumpsters out front along St Clair today

Offline sky

• 468'-Scripps Center
« Reply #54 on: April 14, 2016, 07:50:13 PM »
Lots of new scaffolding around the building today!!

Offline stpats44113

• Premium Member
« Reply #55 on: April 14, 2016, 10:32:26 PM »
I saw that as well on my walk home from work.

Offline musky

• SPRAWL KILLS !!!
  • 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Where there is no vision, the people perish.
    • Cleveland vs. The World
« Reply #56 on: May 19, 2016, 09:08:19 AM »
Saw this on the west side ofthe building on Monday: three different-sized letters placed in weird spots. Anyone know what it means?

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #57 on: May 19, 2016, 09:59:27 AM »
Saw this on the west side ofthe building on Monday: three different-sized letters placed in weird spots. Anyone know what it means?

Alien navigational aids for their targeting systems.

Offline ArtMasterCLE

• 279'-First Energy Center
    • MyrickCreative
« Reply #58 on: May 19, 2016, 10:30:42 AM »
That's laugh out loud funny, KJP!!!
Thank you for that.
Great arts.
Great eats.
Great parks.
Great peeps!

Offline CLE618

• 468'-Scripps Center
« Reply #59 on: May 19, 2016, 03:32:26 PM »
My guess would be that they are testing different sized letters for "The Standard" or something similar on the building.

Offline Mov2Ohio

• 1450'-Willis Tower
« Reply #60 on: May 19, 2016, 07:18:55 PM »

They are testing the sizing of the "WESTON" signage that will be installed at the top of the building. There was a test W as well as few weeks ago.
Without change, progress is impossible.

Offline mrclifton88

• Premium Member
« Reply #61 on: June 27, 2016, 12:49:28 PM »
They are doing a beautiful job cleaning and repairing the Standard Building

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Dumbledore

• 1450'-Willis Tower
  • vive la France
« Reply #62 on: June 27, 2016, 05:47:02 PM »

^ thumbs up , this is in my top10 downtown bldgs

i took these (mostly bad) pics in mid-march ,  wasnt gonna post but what the hey

#Alien #Aliens #Alien3 #AlienResurrection #Prometheus # AlienCovenant
The real greatest story ever told

Offline freethink

• 1450'-Willis Tower
« Reply #63 on: June 27, 2016, 06:04:09 PM »
How about a ' Living Wall ' on the Public Square side. I think the largest one is about 10k sq ft. That would take up a big chunk of that blank space.
live small  dream big

Offline mrclifton88

• Premium Member
« Reply #64 on: July 29, 2016, 06:28:19 PM »

Hmmmmm what are they doing ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #65 on: July 30, 2016, 01:42:11 AM »
If you're thinking there might be a decoration of some kind on that blank wall, nothing was submitted to planning commission.

Offline ExPatClevGuy

• 408'-Kettering Tower
« Reply #66 on: August 31, 2016, 03:31:04 PM »
Weston Completes Conversion Financing for Historic Standard Building in Downtown Cleveland, Ohio

CLEVELAND, OH - BGL Real Estate Advisors announced the successful completion of development financing for Weston Inc.  The multi-faceted capital structure will support the historical conversion of the Standard Building in downtown Cleveland, Ohio.

The $81.0 million financing consisted of...

http://www.multifamilybiz.com/News/7142/Weston_Completes_Conversion_Financing_for_Historic...

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #67 on: August 31, 2016, 03:31:40 PM »
BGL Real Estate Advisors Arranges $81M Loan for Redevelopment of Historic Cleveland Building
POSTED ON AUGUST 30, 2016 BY CHRISTINA CANNON IN LOANS, MIDWEST, MIXED-USE, OHIO

CLEVELAND — BGL Real Estate Advisors LLC has arranged an $81 million construction loan for Weston Inc. The company plans to convert the Standard Building, which was originally built for Standard Bank in the 1920s, into a mixed-use building. The building is currently used as Class B office space and will be transformed into luxury apartments with ground-floor retail. Financing consisted of senior construction debt, subordinated bridge debt, municipal city and state agency debt, Federal and State Historic Tax Credit Equity, and Weston equity. Companies involved in the financing include The Huntington National Bank, Fifth Third Bank, First Commonwealth Bank, Peoples Bank, and Cleveland Development Advisors, as well as multiple city and state agencies including the Ohio Water Development Authority and Ohio Development Services Agency.

MORE:
http://rebusinessonline.com/bgl-real-estate-advisors-arranges-81m-loan-for-redevelopment-of-historic-cleveland-building/

Offline mrclifton88

• Premium Member
« Reply #68 on: January 05, 2017, 01:25:29 PM »
I noticed yesterday what appeared to be a window punched into the western end of the back (Public Square side) of the Standard Building.  I couldn't get a picture...  Anyone notice this?

Offline anthonyb

• 279'-First Energy Center
« Reply #69 on: January 05, 2017, 01:52:02 PM »
I noticed yesterday what appeared to be a window punched into the western end of the back (Public Square side) of the Standard Building.  I couldn't get a picture...  Anyone notice this?

I noticed this also when I was downtown last week but I did not take any pictures of it.

Remove Ads