Author Topic: Cleveland: Downtown: Standard Building  (Read 23902 times)

Offline Clefan98

• 947'-Key Tower
Cleveland: Downtown: Standard Building
« on: June 30, 2014, 09:16:52 AM »
Standard Building near Public Square will become apartments, after sale to Weston, Inc. (gallery)

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- A downtown Cleveland building constructed by the nation's oldest labor union for country's first labor bank could become 287 apartments, under plans being considered by local developer Weston, Inc.

Weston expects to buy the Standard Building, near Public Square, in a deal set to close today. The sale will be the first in the history of the 90-year old office building, which was built by the Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers and Trainmen and has housed the union's offices since 1989.

http://www.cleveland.com/business/index.ssf/2014/06/standard_building_near_public.html#incart_river_default
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 10:15:35 AM by ColDayMan »

Offline musky

• SPRAWL KILLS !!!
  • 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Where there is no vision, the people perish.
    • Cleveland vs. The World
Re: Cleveland: Standard Building conversion to apartments
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2014, 09:55:11 AM »
I've always loved the exterior design of this building. Terracotta, right?

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2014, 09:55:54 AM »
Got to give Crain's their due, though. They had this story first, although Michelle has more detail in her piece (above).....

Is Weston Inc. preparing to acquire the Standard Building?
By STAN BULLARD
Originally Published: June 27, 2014 1:28 PM  Modified: June 30, 2014 7:11 AM

Weston Inc., the Warrensville Heights-based real estate concern, may be preparing to add the largest building yet — the 21-story Standard Building — to its recent spate of downtown Cleveland acquisitions.

Such a name would be appropriate for a company to own the structure, as it pairs the building’s name with its address on Ontario Street.

A Weston play for the 1925-vintage building has been widely rumored for months among downtown Cleveland real estate insiders and developers, perhaps incorporating adjoining properties to accommodate the lack of parking on the block.

READ MORE AT:
http://www.crainscleveland.com/article/20140627/FREE/140629796
"George Washington could never tell a lie.
Richard Nixon could never tell the truth.
Donald Trump cannot tell the difference."

-- Mark Shields,  News Hour

Offline surfohio

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2014, 10:17:52 AM »
I've always loved the exterior design of this building. Terracotta, right?

But that south side...ugh!! I'd like to hear more about Weston's ideas here.

Offline clvlndr

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2014, 10:40:46 AM »

I wonder if they could cut through the south wall and put windows in.  You would think it would enhance the value of the new apartments coming in.  It would certainly end that longtime Public Square visual eyesore.

Offline musky

• SPRAWL KILLS !!!
  • 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2014, 10:51:04 AM »
Or add a giant Menchies billboard like the one on the Stark building

Offline McLovin

• 947'-Key Tower
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2014, 10:54:41 AM »

I wonder if they could cut through the south wall and put windows in.  You would think it would enhance the value of the new apartments coming in.  It would certainly end that longtime Public Square visual eyesore.
That could cause them to lose the historic tax credits though.

Offline BCCLE1

• 468'-Scripps Center
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2014, 10:56:37 AM »
This is very good news if it happens. I have for a long time thought that the Standard Building would be a great building to convert to apts. It would be a plus for the two hotels within a few hundred feet; the residents could be eating at the restaurants inside the Marriott and Hilton. And the SB is considered in the Warehouse District, so again move business for the WHD also.

Now, where are the office tenants going to move too? And how much of the SB is currently occupied? I tried to research how much office space is in the SB, but could not find it in any of my Cleveland books. Only that it's a 20 story building opened in 1925.

What if all the tenants in the SB would move into the same new office building, say a new 40+ building on the Jacobs land on Public Square. Now that would be a win, win for Cleveland.

:clap:

Offline bluemeanie

• 367'-PNC Bank
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2014, 10:57:13 AM »
I've always wanted to see a Living Wall installed on the Standard's backside.

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2014, 10:59:20 AM »
The PD article states that the Standard Building is 45% occupied. As for the effect that this conversion, and many others would have on the downtown office market, see the general downtown office market thread at:
http://www.urbanohio.com/forum2/index.php?topic=4266.0

I also wrote a blog posting this morning regarding this issue:
http://neo-trans.blogspot.com/2014/06/downtown-cleveland-apartment.html

Offline MyTwoSense

• 40+ and Fly
  • 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • back with a vengeance!
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2014, 11:05:57 AM »
Once this development is complete, with exception to the Weston parking lots, all properties between the River and East 12 street on Lakeside, St. Clair and Rockwell have 24 hour connectivity!
my 2 ¢     Please Sell Crazy Someplace Else....We Have Excess Inventory Here!!

Offline mjarboe

• 367'-PNC Bank
    • Cleveland.com
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2014, 11:10:20 AM »
@KJP

Yes, I was disappointed to see that very speculative Crain's item on Friday afternoon. I have been working on a story for a while but had promised to wait until this morning to publish it. That's why you didn't see something from The Plain Dealer before now.

C'est la vie!

Michelle
Michelle Jarboe
Plain Dealer real estate, development reporter
216.316.7024 (cell)
mjarboe@plaind.com
@mjarboe

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2014, 11:12:31 AM »
OK, "La vie!"

Offline jjames0408

• 947'-Key Tower
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2014, 12:24:01 PM »
@KJP

Yes, I was disappointed to see that very speculative Crain's item on Friday afternoon. I have been working on a story for a while but had promised to wait until this morning to publish it. That's why you didn't see something from The Plain Dealer before now.

C'est la vie!

Michelle
Yours are always worth the wait!

Offline 3231

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2014, 12:33:23 PM »
Wow, so this would remove 400,000 sf of office space from the market. As well as remove 180,000 sf of vacancy. I wonder how many current office tenants would stay downtown if this project goes through.

Offline X

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2014, 12:53:11 PM »
I had no idea this building was actually so big.

As for what this does to the office market, that's interesting.  If B and C supplies tighten up, we should see rents increase in that market.  It may force some office users out of Downtown, and/or put a halt to the conversion from office to residential and hotel of these spaces (higher occupancy+higher rent making the risk and expense of conversion less worthwhile).  I'd love to be optimistic and believe that it may lead to new Downtown office construction, but I doubt it.  That happens when the top of the market gets tight.

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2014, 01:07:59 PM »
The conversion of this building to residential is small compared to what is already happening -- the equivalent of THREE KEY TOWERS is being converted to residential downtown between now and 2017 -- before this conversion was announced. SOURCE: http://www.crainscleveland.com/article/20140615/SUB1/306159983&template=mobile#ATHS

Rents have already risen $1 per square foot over the past year in the Class C market (same source). I hear what you're saying about the top of the market usually driving the construction of new office product. But this is a very unusual circumstance in which building inventories are quickly and substantially shifting over -- old to residential, new to office. So the effect is that old offices will ultimately be traded for new offices. That is what is affecting the Class A market -- the bottom. No one builds new Class C offices.

Once these conversions take place between now and 2017 (not including the Huntington, Garfield and whatever K&D is thinking of buying next), the Class A market will tighten up and rents will rise further. So either the Class C office users are moving over to Class B (which is also being lost to apartment conversions) and to Class A downtown, or we'll lose them to the suburbs.

EDIT: of course, we should be discussing this at http://www.urbanohio.com/forum2/index.php?topic=4266.0 where you will find such a discussion is already well underway.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 01:15:34 PM by KJP »

Offline clvlndr

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2014, 05:12:39 PM »

OK, "La vie!"

Oh, you're baaad!!   :whip:
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 05:13:12 PM by clvlndr »

Offline gotribe

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2014, 08:07:41 PM »
The conversion of this building to residential is small compared to what is already happening -- the equivalent of THREE KEY TOWERS is being converted to residential downtown between now and 2017 -- before this conversion was announced. SOURCE: http://www.crainscleveland.com/article/20140615/SUB1/306159983&template=mobile#ATHS

Rents have already risen $1 per square foot over the past year in the Class C market (same source). I hear what you're saying about the top of the market usually driving the construction of new office product. But this is a very unusual circumstance in which building inventories are quickly and substantially shifting over -- old to residential, new to office. So the effect is that old offices will ultimately be traded for new offices. That is what is affecting the Class A market -- the bottom. No one builds new Class C offices.

Once these conversions take place between now and 2017 (not including the Huntington, Garfield and whatever K&D is thinking of buying next), the Class A market will tighten up and rents will rise further. So either the Class C office users are moving over to Class B (which is also being lost to apartment conversions) and to Class A downtown, or we'll lose them to the suburbs.

EDIT: of course, we should be discussing this at http://www.urbanohio.com/forum2/index.php?topic=4266.0 where you will find such a discussion is already well underway.
You're right, they don't build class C space...downtown.  However, there is an oversupply of it in the burbs.  Hopefully the reduced class c space in the city doesn't drive these businesses to the suburbs.

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2014, 08:31:54 PM »
Admittedly, the ramifications of this project spread beyond it in a big way. Heck, I was the one last Friday/Saturday wondering why we weren't recognizing this fact and discussing it. So that's why I pointed people over the weekend to the general downtown offices thread (and continue to):
http://www.urbanohio.com/forum2/index.php?topic=4266.0

Offline SixthCity

• 1450'-Willis Tower
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2014, 01:57:28 PM »
Standard Building fetches $3.9 million in sale to Weston, Inc. for apartment conversion

"CLEVELAND, Ohio -- A downtown Cleveland office building owned by a labor union for the last 90 years changed hands Tuesday for $3.9 million.
Real estate records show that Weston, Inc., a Warrensville Heights developer, closed its purchase of the Standard Building on Tuesday morning. The Plain Dealer reported Monday that Weston was acquiring the 21-story building for an apartment conversion that could start next year."

http://www.cleveland.com/business/index.ssf/2014/07/standard_building_fetches_39_m.html#incart_river_default

Note: Wow, 3.9 million is insanely low but I assume the Union couldn't maintain it and had to take what it could get.  I wonder what the effect on the comp calculations will be because of such a low selling price in the heart of the CBD.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 02:00:44 PM by SixthCity »
"A MONUMENT CONCEIVED AS A TRIBUTE TO THE IDEALS OF CLEVELAND, BUILDED BY HER CITIZENS AND DEDICATED TO SOCIAL PROGRESS, INDUSTRIAL ACHIEVEMENTS AND CIVIC INTEREST"

Offline freethink

• 1450'-Willis Tower
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2014, 04:23:25 PM »
Michelle had the presence of mind to give us a picture of what a southern view would look like if there could be some way to replace the blank wall on the Standard with windows. From what I have read about the tax credits you are not able to alter the architectural integrity of the building. I guess you could argue that a blank wall has no 'architectural integrity'. Didn't 668 put in some windows on the west side of the building, also there were some windows cut in the alley of the Breuer project I think.
live small  dream big

Offline surfohio

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2014, 04:34:46 PM »
Michelle had the presence of mind to give us a picture of what a southern view would look like if there could be some way to replace the blank wall on the Standard with windows. From what I have read about the tax credits you are not able to alter the architectural integrity of the building. I guess you could argue that a blank wall has no 'architectural integrity'. Didn't 668 put in some windows on the west side of the building, also there were some windows cut in the alley of the Breuer project I think.

If that is true about the tax credits in this case, then the tax credit program has to loosen up a bit.

edit - well, this could be an obstacle. A comment from cleveland.com:

the elevators are up against the back wall so you cant put windows there because there are no offices there
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 04:37:35 PM by surfohio »

Offline freethink

• 1450'-Willis Tower
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2014, 05:34:37 PM »
OK well, then there's that...
live small  dream big

Offline Htsguy

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2014, 06:38:32 PM »

If that is true about the tax credits in this case, then the tax credit program has to loosen up a bit.

edit - well, this could be an obstacle. A comment from cleveland.com:

the elevators are up against the back wall so you cant put windows there because there are no offices there

You know I thought that was the case from being in the building so often but was not sure, so I held back commenting as posters constantly lamented the blank wall.

Offline MuRrAy HiLL

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2014, 07:36:51 PM »
We can always incorporate the rectory (?) into a much taller, multi-use, more iconic design.... correct?  :-D

« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 07:42:51 PM by MuRrAy HiLL »
“Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood. " -- Daniel Burnham

Offline Mov2Ohio

• 1450'-Willis Tower
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2014, 07:41:34 PM »
If your prject has historic tax credits you have to wait seven yeats before altering the building.
Without change, progress is impossible.

Offline tradition7

• 629'-Rhodes State Tower
« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2014, 07:42:27 PM »
It's probably not worth the cost and effort but couldn't they use an elevator with glass walls and still put in windows?  Would make for a really fun elevator ride.

Offline MuRrAy HiLL

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2014, 07:45:52 PM »
If your prject has historic tax credits you have to wait seven yeats before altering the building.

Isn't the section I highlighted in green offices for the Old Stone Church?
“Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood. " -- Daniel Burnham

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2014, 12:10:43 AM »

Isn't the section I highlighted in green offices for the Old Stone Church?

Yes. And before those offices were built mid-20th century (100 years after the church was built), the Standard Building would have added a new structure in that space and possibly even to where the church is.

But I suspect a large mural will be the first phase of any plan to make the south wall more attractive. A building expansion would probably have to come later.

Offline SixthCity

• 1450'-Willis Tower
Re: Cleveland: Downtown: Standard Building
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2014, 01:31:52 PM »
Standard Building, Drury Plaza, other Northeast Ohio projects win state tax credits for preservation

http://www.cleveland.com/business/index.ssf/2014/12/standard_building_drury_plaza.html#incart_river
"A MONUMENT CONCEIVED AS A TRIBUTE TO THE IDEALS OF CLEVELAND, BUILDED BY HER CITIZENS AND DEDICATED TO SOCIAL PROGRESS, INDUSTRIAL ACHIEVEMENTS AND CIVIC INTEREST"

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2014, 03:45:52 PM »
Win some and lose a big one: Cleveland-area preservation projects receive funding, Cincinnati takes main prize
By STAN BULLARD
Originally Published: December 18, 2014 2:06 PM  Modified: December 18, 2014 3:23 PM

Conversions of the old Cleveland Board of Education Building to a Drury Plaza Hotel, and of the Standard Building near Public Square to a mixed-use project with apartments, both received maximum $5 million state Historic Preservation Tax Credit awards from the Ohio Department of Development Services.

Renovation of the former Goodyear Tire & Rubber Co. headquarters building in Akron to residential, office and institutional use, also received a $5 million allocation, the state said in an announcement today, Thursday, Dec. 18.

Industrial Realty Group, the developer of the Goodyear project, had applied for both a $5 million allocation and for a $25 million in the state’s new, larger program for project with catalytic economic impact.

MORE:
http://www.crainscleveland.com/article/20141218/FREE/141219830/win-some-and-lose-a-big-one-cleveland-area-preservation-projects

Offline sky

• 468'-Scripps Center
« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2014, 11:29:50 AM »
I heard from a good source that full-on construction will start in June. 

Offline Confiteordeo

• 665'-Queen City Square
  • It's Britney, b*tch!
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2015, 12:14:12 PM »
You're right, they don't build class C space...downtown.  However, there is an oversupply of it in the burbs.  Hopefully the reduced class c space in the city doesn't drive these businesses to the suburbs.

And unfortunately, the Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers and Trainmen is moving out of this building and to Independence...

Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers and Trainmen to move HQ to Independence

Originally Published: March 20, 2015 4:21 PM  Modified: March 20, 2015 5:01 PM

Conversion of office buildings to apartments is about to cost downtown Cleveland the national headquarters of the Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers and Trainmen, which has purchased an office building in Independence.

Through an affiliate, BLET Thursday, March 19, acquired for $1.8 million the office building at 7061 E. Pleasant Valley Road, according to Cuyahoga County land records.

BLET sold its 21-story Standard Building, 1370 Ontario St., July 1, 2014, to Warrensville Heights-based Weston Inc., for $3.9 million. Weston, an industrial and office building owner, plans to convert part of the multitenant office building to apartments and retain part of it as office space.

http://www.crainscleveland.com/article/20150320/FREE/150329969/brotherhood-of-locomotive-engineers-and-trainmen-to-move-hq-to
Progress and prosperity.

Offline gotribe

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2015, 12:49:25 PM »
I've been concerned that the shift of office to residential may drive some people to the burbs.  I know my building in independence is offering rents extremely cheap due to the vacancy rates along Rockside.  It's truly a "ghost town" there compared to what it was 10 to 15 years ago. 

Offline surfohio

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2015, 12:54:36 PM »
I've been concerned that the shift of office to residential may drive some people to the burbs.  I know my building in independence is offering rents extremely cheap due to the vacancy rates along Rockside.  It's truly a "ghost town" there compared to what it was 10 to 15 years ago. 

I've done some work in Independence. The only pro I can think of was seeing coyotes run across the parking lot every now and then.

Offline jmc8651

• 468'-Scripps Center
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2015, 02:25:40 PM »
It will be hard for downtown to retain some businesses which want to own their HQ. I believe the company that sold 75 Public SQ is also headed to Independence. Many suburban markets offer cheaper ownership opportunities.  However I think a lot of the displaced tenants will remain downtown. Many of these tenants are small litigation firms which value proximity to the courts. Plus there is still a ton of space downtown at the $15-16 dollar psf price point. 

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2015, 08:46:02 AM »
United Transportation Union already moved "outward" from downtown Lakewood to North Olmsted.

The Teamsters District Council HQ is just up the street from Independence, in Brooklyn Heights. And the BLE is part of the Teamsters as of a few years ago.

Offline freethink

• 1450'-Willis Tower
« Reply #38 on: October 09, 2015, 09:21:02 AM »
Michelle had these from the meeting.

Michelle J. McFee ‏@mjarboe
Weston has no plans, at this point, to replace or mimic onetime "The Standard Building" sign on building's big, blank south face.

24h24 hours ago
Weston exec estimates that developer will replace 1,320 windows in Standard Building north of Public Square as part of apartment conversion.

24h24 hours ago
At a #CLE Landmarks Commission presentation re: Standard Building redo. Plans for 285 apartments. Addy's, PNC stay on ground floor for now.

I would consider using the wall as a video display. But the video 'mesh' type display that they used at the Cle Institute of Art. You see it used a lot in Time Square. They are much more energy efficient and less expensive than traditional video display. And they look great.
live small  dream big

Offline msa1092

• 367'-PNC Bank
« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2015, 12:01:40 AM »
I always thought that huge blank wall would be great for a mural or advertising.

Offline dave68

« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2015, 12:22:30 PM »
i wonder why the southern side never had windows. For a building, with such a prominent view from Public Square, I always felt the terra cotta details should have continued on the back.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 09:50:52 PM by dave68 »

Offline freethink

• 1450'-Willis Tower
« Reply #41 on: October 10, 2015, 09:49:28 PM »
^Yes that would have been nice. Or if the whole building could have been rotated 90° so the entrance would have been on Ontario. But it was not uncommon for buildings of that era to have a blank wall.  From what I recall when Weston bought the Standard it was mentioned that the buildings elevators are along the back wall so punching in windows was not feasible. Even if the historic tax credits allowed it. Our only hope is maybe the OldStone Parish building which is the structure just South of the Standard can be replaced one day with something taller. But that property has been in the churches hands for a long long time.
live small  dream big

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #42 on: October 11, 2015, 09:22:23 AM »
i wonder why the southern side never had windows. For a building, with such a prominent view from Public Square, I always felt the terra cotta details should have continued on the back.

Because the part of the Standard Building that was built was Phase 1. There was consideration in the 1920s of demolishing the Old Stone Church, which was only 70 years old at that time, and constructing the Phase 2 office building in its place.

Any time you see a blank wall like that (Lebron mural wall at Landmark office tower, blank wall of The 9 facing Euclid Ave), it's an example of a construction phase that was never undertaken.

Offline StrapHanger

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #43 on: October 11, 2015, 12:13:00 PM »
^Did the Standard Bldg owners ever control the Old Stone Church lot? They may have an eye on a second phase, but the more usual reason for blank or "unfinished" building walls is that they face shared lot lines, so any windows (or fancy facade materials) are liable to be sealed up by by a future adjacent building, unless a developer owns both lots or controls the air rights over the shorter building. In most cities, lot line windows are permitted, but don't meet code requirements.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 08:50:50 AM by StrapHanger »
"Cleveland, as you see, is not an apple, but a bunch of grapes each of which has its own particular pattern-some large, others small, some round, others long and narrow, some sweet, others sour, some sound, others rotten throughout."  -Howard Whipple Green, 1932

Offline mrnyc

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
    • friends of the highline
« Reply #44 on: October 11, 2015, 12:33:05 PM »
there are sometimes unsightly/sometimes cool looking blank walls via neighboring teardowns as well.
"That whole rural thing. It's a joke." Ed Koch

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #45 on: October 11, 2015, 12:55:10 PM »
there are sometimes unsightly/sometimes cool looking blank walls via neighboring teardowns as well.

True. An example is the missing tooth between the Rockefeller Building and the Perry-Payne Building. But the building that was there predated the other two and was smaller than them as well.

Offline Whipjacka

• 771'-Terminal Tower
« Reply #46 on: October 11, 2015, 01:26:09 PM »
Maybe the expected the building between the church and the standard to be more than 3 stories tall
"got this thang licked like stamps and 9 volt battery end caps"~Big Boi

Offline freethink

• 1450'-Willis Tower
« Reply #47 on: October 11, 2015, 11:13:53 PM »
^Did the Standard Bldg owners ever control the Old Stone Church lot? They may have an eye on a second phase, but the more usual reason for blank or "unfinished" building walls is that they face shared lot lines, so any windows (or fancy facade materials) are libel to be sealed up by by a future adjacent building, unless a developer owns both lots or controls the air rights over the shorter building. In most cities, lot line windows are permitted, but don't meet code requirements.

If you read the history of that space on the Old Stone website it doesn't sound like that property was ever in jeopardy of leaving the churches hands.  http://www.oldstonechurch.org/the-arts/history-architecture
Especially when the Standard Bank pretty much dissolved into two other banks not long after the building was constructed. And I can't find any evidence of a 'Phase 2' anywhere.
live small  dream big

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #48 on: October 11, 2015, 11:43:44 PM »
And I can't find any evidence of a 'Phase 2' anywhere.

Except the blank wall facing a major city's public square and the bank of elevators not put in the center of the Standard Building, but rather placed on the other side of that blank wall. In archaeology, this is called a positive correlation. ;)
« Last Edit: October 11, 2015, 11:46:08 PM by KJP »

Offline ink

• UO Supporting Moderator
« Reply #49 on: October 12, 2015, 06:50:35 AM »
And I can't find any evidence of a 'Phase 2' anywhere.

Except the blank wall facing a major city's public square and the bank of elevators not put in the center of the Standard Building, but rather placed on the other side of that blank wall. In archaeology, this is called a positive correlation. ;)

It was very common that urban buildings built to a lot line (not talking right of way lot lines) would not have any windows or openings on the lot line facade. If you did not own additional land or an easement, another building could be built up against you at any time--and that was certainly a possibility when the Standand was built--so you set yourself up for the next guy in the block and put your elevators and windowless uses on the potential/future common wall. I am not sure how much they worried about fire back in those days--I assume they did--but today if you put windows in any building on the lot line, you may have to plan fireblocks or other mechanisms to prevent fire from jumping from your building to the next.

If the building was planned for an addition/phase 2, I think a good clue would be the floorplan and circulation. If the cooridors are stubbed or elevators/stairs are overbuilt capacity-wise, that might be a sign.

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #50 on: October 22, 2015, 09:35:14 AM »
Change of use request:

http://planning.city.cleveland.oh.us/bza/agenda/2015/crr11-09-2015.pdf

Board of Zoning Appeals
NOVEMBER 9, 2015

9:30
Calendar No. 15-229: 1370 Ontario Street Ward 3
Joe Cimperman
4 Notices
1370 Standard Building LLC, owner, proposes to change use of office building to 285 residential units
with ground floor retail, and exterior alterations to building including exterior façade, window and
roof replacement in an E5 General Retail Business District. The owner appeals for relief from the
following sections of the Cleveland Codified Ordinances:
1. Section 355.04(b) which states that in an “E” area district, the maximum gross floor area of a
residential building in any use district cannot exceed one & one half times the lot area. Lot
2 | P a g e
area of 22,676 square feet allows a maximum gross floor area of 34,014 square feet. The
gross floor area of the building is approximately 350,000 square feet.
2. Section 357.01(c) which states that rear and interior side yards are required for a residence
building in a General Retail Business District.
3. Section 357.08(b)(2) which states that a rear yard equal to one half the height of the building
is required none provided.
4. Section 357.09(b)(2)(C) which states that an interior side yard equal to one fourth the height
of the building is required none provided.
5. Section 341.02 which states that review and approval of the Cleveland Landmarks
Commission is required. (Filed October 12, 2015)

Offline ExPatClevGuy

• 408'-Kettering Tower
« Reply #51 on: March 11, 2016, 09:14:16 AM »
In this screen capture from the Turner Hilton Webcam this morning, it looks like Construction activity on the upper floors of the Standard Building. 
Any news of such progress at this site?

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #52 on: March 11, 2016, 09:16:19 AM »
In this screen capture from the Turner Hilton Webcam this morning, it looks like Construction activity on the upper floors of the Standard Building. 
Any news of such progress at this site?

Good job! You can be a private detective any time you want! Nice job not paying attention to the obvious and instead noticing the not-so obvious!

Offline PoshSteve

« Reply #53 on: March 12, 2016, 12:54:01 PM »
Definitely doing something there. I noticed some large construction dumpsters out front along St Clair today

Offline sky

• 468'-Scripps Center
« Reply #54 on: April 14, 2016, 07:50:13 PM »
Lots of new scaffolding around the building today!!

Offline stpats44113

• Premium Member
« Reply #55 on: April 14, 2016, 10:32:26 PM »
I saw that as well on my walk home from work.

Offline musky

• SPRAWL KILLS !!!
  • 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #56 on: May 19, 2016, 09:08:19 AM »
Saw this on the west side ofthe building on Monday: three different-sized letters placed in weird spots. Anyone know what it means?

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #57 on: May 19, 2016, 09:59:27 AM »
Saw this on the west side ofthe building on Monday: three different-sized letters placed in weird spots. Anyone know what it means?

Alien navigational aids for their targeting systems.

Offline ArtMasterCLE

• 279'-First Energy Center
    • MyrickCreative
« Reply #58 on: May 19, 2016, 10:30:42 AM »
That's laugh out loud funny, KJP!!!
Thank you for that.
Great arts.
Great eats.
Great parks.
Great peeps!

Offline CLE618

• 468'-Scripps Center
« Reply #59 on: May 19, 2016, 03:32:26 PM »
My guess would be that they are testing different sized letters for "The Standard" or something similar on the building.

Offline Mov2Ohio

• 1450'-Willis Tower
« Reply #60 on: May 19, 2016, 07:18:55 PM »

They are testing the sizing of the "WESTON" signage that will be installed at the top of the building. There was a test W as well as few weeks ago.
Without change, progress is impossible.

Offline mrclifton88

• Premium Member
« Reply #61 on: June 27, 2016, 12:49:28 PM »
They are doing a beautiful job cleaning and repairing the Standard Building

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Dumbledore

• 1450'-Willis Tower
  • vive la France
« Reply #62 on: June 27, 2016, 05:47:02 PM »

^ thumbs up , this is in my top10 downtown bldgs

i took these (mostly bad) pics in mid-march ,  wasnt gonna post but what the hey

45% Cabbage (and so are you if you're reading this)

Offline freethink

• 1450'-Willis Tower
« Reply #63 on: June 27, 2016, 06:04:09 PM »
How about a ' Living Wall ' on the Public Square side. I think the largest one is about 10k sq ft. That would take up a big chunk of that blank space.
live small  dream big

Offline mrclifton88

• Premium Member
« Reply #64 on: July 29, 2016, 06:28:19 PM »

Hmmmmm what are they doing ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #65 on: July 30, 2016, 01:42:11 AM »
If you're thinking there might be a decoration of some kind on that blank wall, nothing was submitted to planning commission.

Offline ExPatClevGuy

• 408'-Kettering Tower
« Reply #66 on: August 31, 2016, 03:31:04 PM »
Weston Completes Conversion Financing for Historic Standard Building in Downtown Cleveland, Ohio

CLEVELAND, OH - BGL Real Estate Advisors announced the successful completion of development financing for Weston Inc.  The multi-faceted capital structure will support the historical conversion of the Standard Building in downtown Cleveland, Ohio.

The $81.0 million financing consisted of...

http://www.multifamilybiz.com/News/7142/Weston_Completes_Conversion_Financing_for_Historic...

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #67 on: August 31, 2016, 03:31:40 PM »
BGL Real Estate Advisors Arranges $81M Loan for Redevelopment of Historic Cleveland Building
POSTED ON AUGUST 30, 2016 BY CHRISTINA CANNON IN LOANS, MIDWEST, MIXED-USE, OHIO

CLEVELAND — BGL Real Estate Advisors LLC has arranged an $81 million construction loan for Weston Inc. The company plans to convert the Standard Building, which was originally built for Standard Bank in the 1920s, into a mixed-use building. The building is currently used as Class B office space and will be transformed into luxury apartments with ground-floor retail. Financing consisted of senior construction debt, subordinated bridge debt, municipal city and state agency debt, Federal and State Historic Tax Credit Equity, and Weston equity. Companies involved in the financing include The Huntington National Bank, Fifth Third Bank, First Commonwealth Bank, Peoples Bank, and Cleveland Development Advisors, as well as multiple city and state agencies including the Ohio Water Development Authority and Ohio Development Services Agency.

MORE:
http://rebusinessonline.com/bgl-real-estate-advisors-arranges-81m-loan-for-redevelopment-of-historic-cleveland-building/

Offline mrclifton88

• Premium Member
« Reply #68 on: January 05, 2017, 01:25:29 PM »
I noticed yesterday what appeared to be a window punched into the western end of the back (Public Square side) of the Standard Building.  I couldn't get a picture...  Anyone notice this?

Offline anthonyb

• 279'-First Energy Center
« Reply #69 on: January 05, 2017, 01:52:02 PM »
I noticed yesterday what appeared to be a window punched into the western end of the back (Public Square side) of the Standard Building.  I couldn't get a picture...  Anyone notice this?

I noticed this also when I was downtown last week but I did not take any pictures of it.

Offline mrclifton88

• Premium Member
« Reply #70 on: January 11, 2017, 01:53:13 PM »
Alright!  Finally got photo evidence.  There is actually a strip of windows all the way down the western side of the Public Square face of the building.  Wonder if they plan to do more?  How much of the back wall is taken up with the elevators/stairs (I always understood that they were on the back of the building, therefore why they couldn't add windows to the whole wall)?

Offline surfohio

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #71 on: January 11, 2017, 02:05:32 PM »
^ Holy cow!!!

Offline YABO713

• 408'-Kettering Tower
« Reply #72 on: January 11, 2017, 03:47:56 PM »
Looks clean!!! I would assume that the cost of window installation on the side of a 300' building is an extreme investment. I think that would be another benefit of selling condos instead of renting apartments.
"They tell me of the River Cuyahoga in the Ohio territory; upon it a great city will emerge." - Correspondence of Thomas Jefferson in drafting 'Notes on the State of Virginia'

Offline ASPhotoman

• 0'-Surface Lot
« Reply #73 on: January 11, 2017, 04:18:38 PM »
Were there windows installed previously on the wall? From the pictures you can see faint discolorations that look like they line up perfectly with the new windows.

Offline seicer

• Premium Member
« Reply #74 on: January 11, 2017, 07:36:18 PM »
And the ghost lettering!

Offline sky

• 468'-Scripps Center
« Reply #75 on: January 11, 2017, 07:46:31 PM »
Weston wanted to install more windows on that blank wall but are limited by the tax credit restrictions.

Offline surfohio

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #76 on: January 11, 2017, 08:35:33 PM »
Weston wanted to install more windows on that blank wall but are limited by the tax credit restrictions.

Ugh, that's idiotic.

Offline willyboy

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
    • National Trust for Historic Preservation
« Reply #77 on: January 12, 2017, 09:10:43 AM »

Ugh, that's idiotic.

But there is an area down the center where its seems they once were.  Were they originally there and removed?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 10:48:36 AM by willyboy »
The National Trust for Historic Preservation http://www.preservationnation.org/  Become a member!

Offline jam40jeff

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #78 on: January 12, 2017, 09:42:01 AM »

Ugh, that's idiotic.

But there is an area down the center where its seems they once were.  Were they original there?

Could another building have once butted up against this one?  There is a small "newer" (like 50s/60s) building sitting in between this one and the Old Stone Church.

Offline mrclifton88

• Premium Member
« Reply #79 on: January 12, 2017, 09:54:24 AM »
I think this was discussed upthread.  There was another building planned at one time but never happened.  The other building that sits in between the church and the Standard is the offices for the church.  And at one time there were windows down the center, as you can see here:

Offline StrapHanger

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #80 on: January 12, 2017, 09:55:02 AM »
^^I don't think so. Nothing of any notable size. The Standard Building's rear is a lot line wall adjacent to a site the developer no doubt expected would be built out at some point. No different from the eastern wall of Halle's, for example which was a big blank face on PH Square until the Wyndham covered most of it up.

EDIT: that photo^ also shows another lot line wall. There's nothing really unusual about the blank wall on the Standard Bldg. I'm also a little skeptical there's really any leasable space along it, unless WESTON planned to relocated the corridors in that part of the floor plates.

EDIT2: oops, I meant Weston, not K&D. Thanks for correcting, mrclifton.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 01:07:05 PM by StrapHanger »
"Cleveland, as you see, is not an apple, but a bunch of grapes each of which has its own particular pattern-some large, others small, some round, others long and narrow, some sweet, others sour, some sound, others rotten throughout."  -Howard Whipple Green, 1932

Offline viscomi

• 408'-Kettering Tower
« Reply #81 on: January 12, 2017, 11:23:09 AM »
Seems like a excellent place for a residential high-rise, between Old Stone Church and the Standard Building.

Offline Htsguy

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #82 on: January 12, 2017, 11:28:42 AM »
^^I don't think so. Nothing of any notable size. The Standard Building's rear is a lot line wall adjacent to a site the developer no doubt expected would be built out at some point. No different from the eastern wall of Halle's, for example which was a big blank face on PH Square until the Wyndham covered most of it up.

EDIT: that photo^ also shows another lot line wall. There's nothing really unusual about the blank wall on the Standard Bldg. I'm also a little skeptical there's really any leasable space along it, unless K&D planned to relocated the corridors in that part of the floor plates.

Is K&D a partner in this project?  I thought Weston was doing it on its own.

Offline mrclifton88

• Premium Member
« Reply #83 on: January 12, 2017, 11:35:31 AM »
K&D has nothing to do with this, they are finishing the Leader Building and then moving on to the Halle.  The Standard Building is all Weston

Offline BCCLE1

• 468'-Scripps Center
« Reply #84 on: January 12, 2017, 11:52:37 AM »
I think this was discussed upthread.  There was another building planned at one time but never happened.  The other building that sits in between the church and the Standard is the offices for the church.  And at one time there were windows down the center, as you can see here:

I saw this picture too when I looked for pictures of the Standard Building. According to the person who posted the picture on Instagram, the picture was taken in the 1930's.

Here's my thoughts on the windows; I am not sure that one can tell from the 1930's picture if there truly were windows there, or not. But then why would there be in the 1930's picture, or the more recent pictures posted by mrclifton88 an area of the building facing PS what truly does look like windows in the 1930's picture, and in the mrcliffton88 pictures what looks like windows that were covered up at some point.

There definitely were no windows at any time in the history of the building where Weston has opened up the building and put in windows during the current renovations (on the far western portion of the south facing wall).

My thinking is that there might have been a compromise on the part of the developers and the state historic tax credit people that allowed the new windows on the south facing portion of the building to replace what might have been on that same wall where we all can see what looks like covered up windows in the mrcliffon88 pictures.

Anyone in the know, know?

Offline simplythis

• 555'-LeVeque Tower
« Reply #85 on: January 12, 2017, 01:22:15 PM »
Exactly what intersection is this picture.  I seem to not be able to pinpoint it.

Offline mrclifton88

• Premium Member
« Reply #86 on: January 12, 2017, 01:29:47 PM »
Superior and West 3rd i believe.  The Renaissance Hotel is to the right, and you can barely see 75 Public Square from behind the buildings that are now a parking lot.

Offline Htsguy

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #87 on: January 12, 2017, 01:32:22 PM »
^The left hand bottom is Superior and Prospect (really cannot see the intersection).  More towards the middle is Superior and West Third.

Offline jam40jeff

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #88 on: January 12, 2017, 02:17:55 PM »
Yes, and 55 Public Square is blocking the view of The Standard Building.  It and parking lots replaced all that density in the foreground.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 02:18:16 PM by jam40jeff »

Offline musky

• SPRAWL KILLS !!!
  • 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #89 on: January 17, 2017, 10:26:30 AM »
Here ya go

Offline surfohio

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #90 on: January 17, 2017, 11:28:57 AM »

Offline surfohio

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #91 on: January 17, 2017, 11:29:36 AM »
^ What you talkin' bout Willis?

Offline viscomi

• 408'-Kettering Tower
« Reply #92 on: March 10, 2017, 11:36:33 AM »
Sure seems like they are putting in more windows on the south face of the building.

Offline Urbanophile

• 665'-Queen City Square
« Reply #93 on: March 10, 2017, 05:31:36 PM »
^ those notches have been there for a while. I have no idea what they're for.

Offline originaljbw

• Livin in the OB!
« Reply #94 on: March 11, 2017, 02:18:35 AM »
^live action platforming game.
-Mea Gloria Fides-

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #95 on: May 11, 2017, 12:19:32 AM »
I had no idea this building had interior spaces like this....

Breaking Ground
PHOTOS: inside the grand and historic Standard Building
KARIN CONNELLY RICE | WEDNESDAY, MAY 10, 2017

As only the second owner in the Standard Building’s history, Weston, Inc. has spent the past three years transforming the former bank and office building into 281 apartments that follow the latest trends in downtown Cleveland living.

The building sits in the heart of downtown at 99 W. St. Clair Ave. Now dubbed simply, The Standard, the project is set to be completed later this year. The building once housed the offices of famed Cleveland safety director Eliot Ness and served as a registration site for draftees during World War II through the 1960s.

“There’s staggering history there and we’re only the second owner,” says Suzanne Broadbent, Weston’s dealmaker. “We’re very excited about this project. It’s a huge project for us and a huge project for downtown Cleveland, We think it will change the landscape of downtown.”

Fresh Water recently had the chance to get a sneak peek at the progress in the historic building during a Cleveland Restoration Society SNOOPS tour.

MORE:
http://www.freshwatercleveland.com/breaking-ground/TheStandard051017.aspx

Offline surfohio

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #96 on: May 11, 2017, 01:17:14 AM »
The windows can’t be seen if you’re standing in Public Square, says Baniszewski, in keeping with the historic look of the building and historic tax credit requirements, but “it’s a really cool picture postcard view of the Terminal Tower,” he says.

This is ridiculous. Do the tax credits actually require that an enormous blank, windowless wall face Public Square? That can't be right.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 01:17:45 AM by surfohio »

Offline 327

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Fascinating
« Reply #97 on: May 11, 2017, 08:14:34 AM »
For me, it needs a painting of Brian Sipe on it to look historic.
Vibrate your greenspace today with Frank Jackson

Offline bumsquare

• 665'-Queen City Square
« Reply #98 on: May 11, 2017, 08:18:43 AM »
For me, it needs a painting of Brian Sipe on it to look historic.
Hahahahahaha good call!

Offline StrapHanger

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #99 on: May 11, 2017, 09:43:00 AM »
The windows can’t be seen if you’re standing in Public Square, says Baniszewski, in keeping with the historic look of the building and historic tax credit requirements, but “it’s a really cool picture postcard view of the Terminal Tower,” he says.

This is ridiculous. Do the tax credits actually require that an enormous blank, windowless wall face Public Square? That can't be right.

Good question. @ink, do you know if this is the case?

The program has obviously been a huge boon, but would be a bummer if it were taken to literal extremes in cases like this.

Offline sky

• 468'-Scripps Center
« Reply #100 on: May 11, 2017, 10:05:02 AM »

Unfortunately tax credits are super restrictive.  Hopefully a smart politician will loosen some of the rules about windows.

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #101 on: May 11, 2017, 10:09:57 AM »
Put a mesh mural/banner on that blank wall, then secretly cut windows out of the wall.

Offline mrclifton88

• Premium Member
« Reply #102 on: May 11, 2017, 10:14:54 AM »
Those interiors are remarkable.  I did notice that one bedroom apartments are starting around $1700+ at this building?  That is pretty high.  It seems we are pushing avg. rent Downtown upwards very quickly with these new projects.  Some of the K&D re-habs have rents starting under 1,000 but I think those days are nearly behind us.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 10:15:22 AM by mrclifton88 »

Offline ink

• UO Supporting Moderator
« Reply #103 on: May 11, 2017, 10:19:37 AM »

Good question. @ink, do you know if this is the case?

The program has obviously been a huge boon, but would be a bummer if it were taken to literal extremes in cases like this.

I do not know the specifics about this project, although from my memory of the interior of the building, much of the back wall is consumed by elevators so windows would not be feasible.

In general, new window openings are a point of scrutiny in tax credit reviews. I worked on a project in Columbus where windows were restricted on the side elevation of an industrial building because it would have changed the industrial character of that building. As an industrial storage building, it would have never had windows so introducing a ton of glass was incongruous.

I have seen window openings permitted on elevations with more limited visibility (looking into an alley, property rear, side street, etc.), but given that this elevation is highly visible I'm sure there was concern about changing the character of the building. It's an urban, lot-line building built with the expectation that a neighbor would block its views in the future. But again, I'm not sure that windows would have even been feasible given the building's floorplan.

Offline clvlndr

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #104 on: May 11, 2017, 10:36:06 AM »
Pretty exciting.  The Standard has beautiful Art Deco detailing... When this building is finished, along with TT, the Beacon, Garfield and, maybe, Union Trust, the downtown apt population is going to skyrocket.

Offline freethink

• 1450'-Willis Tower
« Reply #105 on: May 11, 2017, 11:03:05 AM »
^ also The Leader and CAC and The Edge/CSU and The Halle all under construction...
live small  dream big

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #106 on: May 11, 2017, 11:04:40 AM »
....And more coming!

Remove Ads