Author Topic: Cincinnati: Wasson Way Trail  (Read 22450 times)

Offline jjakucyk

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
    • Cincinnati Traction History
Re: Cincinnati: Wasson Way Trail
« Reply #140 on: May 18, 2017, 07:06:41 PM »
The only explanation I can find is that they want to make it wide enough to install benches so people can sit and watch the nonexistent traffic below.  That seems like a colossal waste of money that could be better spent where needed on things like the crossings at Madison/Edwards or any number of other things.  It's already a wide bridge (cited as 29') which is more than enough for them to do what they want without rebuilding it.  Why it was made big enough for double tracks with abutments large enough for a three-track overpass I have no idea.  Jake, was this ever a possible alternate route for the subway?  It was only built in 1929. 

The Marburg overpass was pretty well kaput, or at least its deck was, and it's been scheduled for replacement for a while now. 

Online jmecklenborg

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • An Apollo Legend
« Reply #141 on: May 18, 2017, 09:09:39 PM »
No the original rapid transit loop plan never had anything to do with this branch line.  In fact it would have passed beneath it in the exact spot and along the same way that I-71 does. 

Some people get confused when looking at the later-1920s map you see floating around more often than the original plan.  That's when the president of Cincinnati Milacron was appointed a Rapid Transit Commissioner and got the whole loop plan tossed in favor of a scheme that would have seen the line start and end at Madison Rd. in Oakley, almost right in front of his property.  They bought all of the property they needed to make it happen, with the rapid transit tracks paralleling the south side of the B&O mainline from Norwood eastward.  So that means the never-built eastern half of the loop would have paralleled Duck Creek north of Smith Rd., but instead of turning west to complete the loop in Norwood Waterworks Park, it would have turned east.  I'm not sure if they planned to build four parallel rapid transit tracks there or do a flying crossover and just use two. 

I ran out of time to really look into all of that when I was writing the book so I left it out.  But it's pretty obvious that if it had come to pass it would have set up Oakley as the region's #2 area and a possible challenger to Downtown Cincinnati for offices and shopping in the long-term.  That line with 2x service could of course been extended further along the B&O or really anywhere else in that area.   

Online taestell

• Global Moderator
  • 부자태
    • UrbanCincy
« Reply #142 on: May 18, 2017, 09:13:22 PM »
Check out my photography on Flickr or Instagram | Twitter: @urbancincy & @taestell | The UrbanCincy Podcast (iTunes)

Offline seicer

• Premium Member
« Reply #143 on: May 19, 2017, 08:59:33 AM »
Shedding more light on this (and to follow up with you @jjakucyk from last night), could the overpass have been built for a small yard never built for Cincinnati Builders Supply and Hyde Park Lumber? (Via https://historicaerials.com/location/39.145862940909964/-84.44850862026215/1956/18) The trestle over Duck Creek to the immediate west only has one track.

The Sanborn map (http://digital.cincinnatilibrary.org/cdm/ref/collection/p16998coll9/id/4240) also makes no indication of any big plans.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 09:03:36 AM by seicer »

Remove Ads