Author Topic: Cleveland Planning Commission  (Read 9966 times)

Online surfohio

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
Re: Cleveland Planning Commission
« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2016, 12:02:52 AM »
It's a great idea, but the execution has to be there. One or two aren't going to make much of an impact. A certain amount of retail is required to create critical mass.

People keep saying there's already too many empty storefronts downtown; proof that downtown doesn't need any more retail. Well by that logic Tower City Mall doesn't need any more retail either.

I didn't say we don't need more retail.  I did say that we'd be acting stupidly to spend a lot of money to convert spaces that are poorly suited to retail while actual retail space go empty. If someone wants to build new actual retail space, then have at.

But "poorly suited for retail"  means what exactly? There's an alleyway in downtown Columbus that's getting retail. Yet there are no existing storefronts. Why is that? It's a concerted effort to bring life into a lifeless area. It requires more than someone wanting to do it. It needs to be something the city is behind.

Online X

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2016, 01:05:25 PM »
Why?  What makes it a priority?  What makes it make sense?  Of the other hundreds of ideas competing for limited resources, what makes this the one that should get them?

Offline 327

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Fascinating
« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2016, 01:37:38 PM »
Retail needs to be a priority because it's an essential part of urban life, one in which Cleveland makes a very poor showing.  We are competing with cities that have found a way to make it work.  We will continue to lose jobs and residents from our urban core until we can too.  The market is very limited for this retail-lite version of city living.
Vibrate your greenspace today with Frank Jackson

Online surfohio

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2016, 02:35:07 PM »
Why?  What makes it a priority?  What makes it make sense?  Of the other hundreds of ideas competing for limited resources, what makes this the one that should get them?

It makes sense because it lays the groundwork for makes the neighborhood a much more welcoming, functional, safe and livable place. Commerce is the engine of our economy. Blank walls and dead zones in the WD and anywhere do not foster anything positive. They're planning mistakes that should by no means be continued. There's long and short term fixes that can be applied asap and without much initial cost; a little bit of will power and a little bit of investment is all. We want a lively city with more activity. It's what separates a lively place from a forlorn grey concrete wasteland. Retail districting is the easy answer.

The city can and should do more to help foster entrepreneurial spirit. Providing cheap places for commerce is seed planting. Here's the concept, better stated:

“We want to encourage the development of small scale permanent retailing in Pearl and Lynn Alleys,” he stated. “There are very few places in Downtown where one can create clusters of starter spaces for retail. The improvements will help encourage development of the alley system. It’s designed to draw people through.”

Read more: http://www.urbanohio.com/forum2/index.php/topic,419.1225.html#ixzz423x27hf5

Offline E Rocc

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Defender Of The Sprawl
« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2016, 02:44:04 PM »

It makes sense because it lays the groundwork for makes the neighborhood a much more welcoming, functional, safe and livable place. Commerce is the engine of our economy. Blank walls and dead zones in the WD and anywhere do not foster anything positive. They're planning mistakes that should by no means be continued. There's long and short term fixes that can be applied asap and without much initial cost; a little bit of will power and a little bit of investment is all. We want a lively city with more activity. It's what separates a lively place from a forlorn grey concrete wasteland. Retail districting is the easy answer.

The city can and should do more to help foster entrepreneurial spirit. Providing cheap places for commerce is seed planting. Here's the concept, better stated:

“We want to encourage the development of small scale permanent retailing in Pearl and Lynn Alleys,” he stated. “There are very few places in Downtown where one can create clusters of starter spaces for retail. The improvements will help encourage development of the alley system. It’s designed to draw people through.”

Read more: http://www.urbanohio.com/forum2/index.php/topic,419.1225.html#ixzz423x27hf5

Are they trying to attract tourism by implying it's haunted??
"I mean, this man just can't be president of the US. I mean, they got this button, it's in a briefcase, he's gonna find it."
- P. J. O'Rourke

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #40 on: September 26, 2016, 11:53:33 AM »
Developer Fred Geis resigns from Cleveland City Planning Commission to avoid potential conflict
By Michelle Jarboe, The Plain Dealer
on September 26, 2016 at 10:11 AM

CLEVELAND, Ohio – Seven months after he took a seat on the Cleveland City Planning Commission, developer Fred Geis has stepped down to avoid a possible clash between his part-time role on a public body and his day job in real estate.

A city spokesman confirmed by email that Geis tendered his resignation Sept. 12. The spokesman referred all follow-up questions to Geis, who said he made the decision based on the advice of his lawyers.

"I can either do business in the city of Cleveland or be on planning commission," Geis said. "And, at this point, I think I still make a little bit of a greater difference by doing business in the city. ... The city, in no way, played a part in this. It was just something that wasn't feasible on my side."

MORE:
http://realestate.cleveland.com/realestate-news/2016/09/developer_fred_geis_resigns_fr.html
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I'll tell you what you value." -- Joe Biden

Online surfohio

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #41 on: September 26, 2016, 12:10:48 PM »
^ Duh.

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #42 on: September 29, 2016, 01:28:55 PM »
Is there a Design Review Committee meeting this week? I thought there was but nothing has been posted on the CPC website.
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I'll tell you what you value." -- Joe Biden

Online TPH2

• 1450'-Willis Tower
    • Twitter
« Reply #43 on: September 29, 2016, 02:27:58 PM »
Is there a Design Review Committee meeting this week? I thought there was but nothing has been posted on the CPC website.

Do you mean for downtown/flats? They only meet the 1st and 3rd Thursdays of the month, and this week is the 5th
The quality of life in cities has much to do with systems of transport...Many cars, used by one or more people, circulate in cities, causing traffic congestion, raising the level of pollution, and consuming enormous quantities of non-renewable energy. -Pope Francis

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #44 on: September 29, 2016, 06:02:21 PM »
Yes. No wonder why! I'm going into withdrawal here....

Online Dougal

• 555'-LeVeque Tower
« Reply #45 on: October 20, 2016, 08:50:38 AM »
Tomorrow's CPC meeting will discuss "La Villa Hispana".  Is that eventually going to be a specific place or the general area around Clark-W25th (and west) favored by Hispanics?

Online Dougal

• 555'-LeVeque Tower
« Reply #46 on: October 22, 2016, 09:35:39 AM »
I still didn't get an answer to my question.   :-( 

Is La Villa Hispana (o mejor La Villa Latina, quizás) intended to be the area centered west of Clark and W25th? 

Offline buckeye1

• Premium Member
  • UO Certified "Thread Cleaner"
« Reply #47 on: October 22, 2016, 01:31:33 PM »

Is La Villa Hispana (o mejor La Villa Latina, quizás) intended to be the area centered west of Clark and W25th? 

Best answer I could find...
https://plainpress.wordpress.com/2016/01/01/forum-seeks-to-shape-vision-for-la-villa-hispana/

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #48 on: October 22, 2016, 03:04:31 PM »
It already is. I reported on it years ago when I was with Sun. La Villa Hispania has long been a name to describe the enclave of the Clark-Metro neighborhood centered on Clark /West 25th Street, much the way Hingetown is an enclave of Ohio City along Detroit Avenue west of West 25th Street.

Online X

• Global Moderator
« Reply #49 on: October 22, 2016, 06:38:16 PM »
They are doing a corridor plan for Clark Rd all the way out to w. 65th.  Probably has something to do with that.

Online Dougal

• 555'-LeVeque Tower
« Reply #50 on: October 23, 2016, 10:08:27 AM »

https://plainpress.wordpress.com/2016/01/01/forum-seeks-to-shape-vision-for-la-villa-hispana/

Thanks, everybody, for the replies. From this citation LVH sounds like both an area and a new (or potential) civic association.

Offline MyTwoSense

• 40+ and Fly
  • 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • back with a vengeance!
« Reply #51 on: October 23, 2016, 04:06:04 PM »

Thanks, everybody, for the replies. From this citation LVH sounds like both an area and a new (or potential) civic association.

I'm going to say this has been "talked" about for more than 15/20 years.
my 2 ¢     Please Sell Crazy Someplace Else....We Have Excess Inventory Here!!

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #52 on: September 13, 2017, 09:49:07 AM »
CPC is usually pretty good at keeping its web-based agendas and databases updated. Except for BZA, I haven't seen anything updated on their website since late August.

Remove Ads