Author Topic: Cleveland: Duck Island: Development and News  (Read 79066 times)

Offline MayDay

• Administrator
  • The HBIC from the CLE
    • Cleveland Skyscrapers
Re: Cleveland: Duck Island Developments
« Reply #140 on: May 31, 2015, 08:04:13 AM »
Some photos of the construction around Duck Island:

West 19th and Smith Court:

West 19th:

West 17th and Bradford:

Columbus Road:

For those in the know - what's going on with the former bakery, the adjacent green house (that's been art-bombed) and the brick home facing West 20th? The brick home looks like it got new windows, but if the green home and the bakery are coming down... seems to be taking a while?

« Last Edit: May 31, 2015, 08:11:31 AM by MayDay »

Online Mendo

• 771'-Terminal Tower
« Reply #141 on: June 17, 2015, 01:56:16 PM »
I wish I could find the original site plan of this project from 18 months ago. It was probably lost in the server crash some time back. The plan showed roughly 10 two-story townhomes with single car garage next to each unit. So the elevation left to right was 2 story (house), 1 story (garage), 2, then 1, etc all attached. The renderings looked like they were done with crayon.

The wife and I were looking for a house at the time and asked the listing agent about it. He told me the site plan was so bad they fired the architect and took the entire project back to the drawing board. And here we are a year later, I think they aimed a little higher this time:

http://planning.city.cleveland.oh.us/designreview/drcagenda/2015/06192015/index.php

Offline SixthCity

• 1450'-Willis Tower
« Reply #142 on: June 17, 2015, 02:11:14 PM »
These look 1,000 times better.  I'm digging the brick.
"A MONUMENT CONCEIVED AS A TRIBUTE TO THE IDEALS OF CLEVELAND, BUILDED BY HER CITIZENS AND DEDICATED TO SOCIAL PROGRESS, INDUSTRIAL ACHIEVEMENTS AND CIVIC INTEREST"

Offline Punch

• UO Supporting Moderator
« Reply #143 on: June 17, 2015, 04:19:03 PM »
Some photos of the construction around Duck Island:

West 19th and Smith Court:

West 19th:

West 17th and Bradford:

Columbus Road:

For those in the know - what's going on with the former bakery, the adjacent green house (that's been art-bombed) and the brick home facing West 20th? The brick home looks like it got new windows, but if the green home and the bakery are coming down... seems to be taking a while?

I really don't like townhouses, but I think I would kill to live in one of those on West 17th and Bradford
Originally Punch, then CleveChiNola, now back to Punch.

Online Motorist

• 367'-PNC Bank
« Reply #144 on: June 18, 2015, 08:38:03 AM »
What a waste of a cool site for something really unique.   

I wish I could find the original site plan of this project from 18 months ago. It was probably lost in the server crash some time back. The plan showed roughly 10 two-story townhomes with single car garage next to each unit. So the elevation left to right was 2 story (house), 1 story (garage), 2, then 1, etc all attached. The renderings looked like they were done with crayon.

The wife and I were looking for a house at the time and asked the listing agent about it. He told me the site plan was so bad they fired the architect and took the entire project back to the drawing board. And here we are a year later, I think they aimed a little higher this time:

http://planning.city.cleveland.oh.us/designreview/drcagenda/2015/06192015/index.php

Offline McLovin

• 947'-Key Tower
« Reply #145 on: June 18, 2015, 09:03:43 AM »

Is this the site plan you were looking for?

Online StrapHanger

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #146 on: June 18, 2015, 09:32:21 AM »
^Pretty sure that's a different project.  I think the project Mendo is referring to is south of Abbey, south of the Gateway Animal Clinic.
"Cleveland, as you see, is not an apple, but a bunch of grapes each of which has its own particular pattern-some large, others small, some round, others long and narrow, some sweet, others sour, some sound, others rotten throughout."  -Howard Whipple Green, 1932

Online Mendo

• 771'-Terminal Tower
« Reply #147 on: June 18, 2015, 11:48:34 AM »
^Pretty sure that's a different project.  I think the project Mendo is referring to is south of Abbey, south of the Gateway Animal Clinic.

Correct. Not that it matters because the new plan is an order of magnitude better but I did a bit of digging (I was bored). There might not have been a public site plan. I remember the project going to the board of zoning for variances (10/14/2013). Exhibit A!:

http://planning.city.cleveland.oh.us/bza/agenda/2013/crr10-14-2013.pdf

Within a few weeks I saw these townhomes pop-up on Zillow with a couple bad renderings. Funny enough, one of them still shows up for-sale on Zillow but the images were removed. Exhibit B:

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/S-l-3-W-19th-St-Cleveland-OH-44113/2105679966_zpid/

$274,900
S/l 3 W. 19th St,
Cleveland, OH 44113
2 beds 2.5 baths 1,950 sqft

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #148 on: June 18, 2015, 03:33:04 PM »
Knez Homes to seek Cleveland City Planning Commission approval for Duck Island Townhomes
June 18, 2015
STAN BULLARD   
REAL ESTATE

Talk about rewriting the rules for building homes.

Builders usually try to put as many homes as possible on a site to maximize potential profits. Meantime, city planners and zoning codes restrict how many units go on a particular spot of land to comply with local planning rules in hopes of a desirable result.

However, Painesville-based Knez Homes on Friday, June 19, plans to ask Cleveland City Planning Commission to approve the proposed Duck Island Townhomes, a 23-unit townhouse development at 2251-2271 W. 19th St.

Originally Bo Knez, president of Knez Homes, proposed six suites for the same site. However, when the plan went before the planning commissionís Near West Design Review District and others in 2013, it was suggested the site might accommodate more units to help neighborhood goals to support public transit and neighborhood services with more density.

MORE:
http://www.crainscleveland.com/article/20150618/BLOGS14/150619787/knez-homes-to-seek-cleveland-city-planning-commission-approval-for
"George Washington could never tell a lie.
Richard Nixon could never tell the truth.
Donald Trump cannot tell the difference."

-- Mark Shields,  News Hour

Offline fishface

• 279'-First Energy Center
« Reply #149 on: June 20, 2015, 12:28:15 PM »
I just drove by, and the siding has been removed from the 'art house' by abbey and 19th. Looks like it's coming down soon or being re-sided.

Offline SixthCity

• 1450'-Willis Tower
« Reply #150 on: June 20, 2015, 12:28:56 PM »
I just drove by, and the siding has been removed from the 'art house' by abbey and 19th. Looks like it's coming down soon or being re-sided.

Thank god
"A MONUMENT CONCEIVED AS A TRIBUTE TO THE IDEALS OF CLEVELAND, BUILDED BY HER CITIZENS AND DEDICATED TO SOCIAL PROGRESS, INDUSTRIAL ACHIEVEMENTS AND CIVIC INTEREST"

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #151 on: July 08, 2015, 01:58:09 PM »
http://planning.city.cleveland.oh.us/designreview/drcagenda/2015/07102015/index.php

City Planning Commission
Agenda for July 10, 2015

LOTS SPLITS/CONSOLIDATIONS

For PPNs 004-02-083, 004-02-082, & 004-02-081
At 2141, 2135, and 2129 West 18th Street, Duck Island neighborhood
Presenter: Westleigh Harper, MAKER

Offline MayDay

• Administrator
  • The HBIC from the CLE
    • Cleveland Skyscrapers
« Reply #152 on: July 12, 2015, 10:43:38 AM »
Anyone have any info on this project. Really haven't heard anything about it for awhile. Has anyone seen any demo or signage at the site? I know there were some environmental clean up and property acquisition issues that needed to be done. And the developers reputation has taken a few hits in the past. Hope it can still get done.
http://www.brickhauspartners.com/ohio-city/index.html

Just saw today that one or both of the homes on this site have been demolished.

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #153 on: July 15, 2015, 08:41:37 PM »
http://planning.city.cleveland.oh.us/designreview/drcagenda/2015/07172015/index.php

City Planning Commission
Agenda for July 17, 2015

LOT SPLITS/CONSOLIDATIONS
For PPN 004-02-027
At 2061 West 19th Street
Presenter: Westleigh Harper, MAKER

Offline flee2thecleve14

• 408'-Kettering Tower
« Reply #154 on: July 30, 2015, 05:49:48 PM »
While riding my bike a week ago past by Lorain and W20th, I noticed that a couple more houses were being demolished on the north side of Lorain where the Brickhaus apartments/condos were proposed. Does the developer now have full site control now, and is he close to breaking ground? My friend was looking at buying a condo nearby and was wondering about that large vacant parcel.

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #155 on: August 04, 2015, 05:38:44 PM »
Looks like these two lots between the white house at left and the curved part of West 18th/overhead part of Lorain Avenue would be consolidated per architect Horton's application...

http://planning.city.cleveland.oh.us/designreview/drcagenda/2015/08072015/index.php

City Planning Commission
Agenda for August 7, 2015

LOT SPLITS/CONSOLIDATIONS

For PPNs 004-02-063 & 004-02-062
At 2050 & 2058 West 18th Street
Presenter: Michael Horton, MAKER

Online Mendo

• 771'-Terminal Tower
« Reply #156 on: August 04, 2015, 08:28:48 PM »
^ There are a couple renderings of those two houses on Zillow.

www.zillow.com/homedetails/2036-W-18th-St-Cleveland-OH-44113/2101593984_zpid/

Edit: $542,000 -- 2 beds 2.5 baths 2,513 sqft
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 08:32:53 PM by Mendo »

Offline Dumbledore

• 1450'-Willis Tower
  • vive la France
« Reply #157 on: August 04, 2015, 08:39:51 PM »

On Sam Mcnulty's Facebook he has a sneak preview of the townhomes he's building next to VTR (at Columbus & Abbey).
Right now just a gravel lot.
45% Cabbage (and so are you if you're reading this)

Offline SixthCity

• 1450'-Willis Tower
« Reply #158 on: August 04, 2015, 09:27:20 PM »
Post 'em pleeaasse!!

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #159 on: August 04, 2015, 10:18:31 PM »
Post 'em pleeaasse!!

Not on Facebook? OK, here......
______

here's a very preliminary sneak peak of the seven duck island townhomes we'll start building later this year right next to the Red Line Greenway and The Velvet Tango Room. duck island is the perfectly situated neighborhood that connects ohio city and tremont and sits at the top of the columbus road hill. since the design is evolving, we don't have pricing or timeline or any more details but we do know they're going to be super fun when they're finished...

Offline MayDay

• Administrator
  • The HBIC from the CLE
    • Cleveland Skyscrapers
« Reply #160 on: August 05, 2015, 05:29:20 AM »
^And according to the rendering, they're rebuilding the cold storage building!!  :yap:

Offline SixthCity

• 1450'-Willis Tower
« Reply #161 on: August 05, 2015, 06:38:54 AM »
Thanks - yeah, I deactivated my Facebook.  I've never felt so free.

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #162 on: August 05, 2015, 06:59:16 AM »
^And according to the rendering, they're rebuilding the cold storage building!!  :yap:

Change your nickname to EagleEye, please!

Offline kennybabes

• 408'-Kettering Tower
« Reply #163 on: August 05, 2015, 10:00:27 AM »
I think that is the building on the south west corner of 25th and lorain.  catty corner to the market....not the cold storage building.

The one that has Crop on the ground floor.

-edit-

saw the cold storage building as well.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 10:02:02 AM by kennybabes »

Offline Confiteordeo

• 665'-Queen City Square
  • It's Britney, b*tch!
« Reply #164 on: August 05, 2015, 10:01:55 AM »
I think that is the building on the south west corner of 25th and lorain.  catty corner to the market....not the cold storage building.

The one that has Crop on the ground floor.

No, first picture.  Bottom left-hand corner, with the water tank on top.  The view is from Columbus Rd. looking east along Abbey Avenue.
Progress and prosperity.

Offline lafont

• 665'-Queen City Square
« Reply #165 on: August 05, 2015, 09:57:12 PM »
All confusing.  I thought the big project (mixed use with residential, offices, etc.) described in the PD last year, if not 2013, was to go from Columbus Road up the hill to the Lorain Avenue level.  But when that big announcement came, it was just the time that long-vacant restaurant right on Lorain was demolilshed, and the article said it was for this project, but that restaurant was to the east of Columbus Road.  So were the houses that were just demolished.  If the big project were to go from the west side of Columbus road up the hill to Lorain Avenue level, then aren't the new townhouses right on Columbus, nearly finished part of that project?

Offline lafont

• 665'-Queen City Square
« Reply #166 on: August 15, 2015, 04:20:46 PM »
Okay - I walked across the Hope Mem. bridge the other day and I now have it straight, noting there are two bridges west of the Hope bridge: the one over Columbus Road and and one over the railroad tracks.  The big project described in the PD over a year ago would go from the west side of Columbus Road up the hill to Lorain Avenue.  This area includes the acreage of that demolished long-vacant cafe, the demolished bunch of houses near Lorain, and the new townhouses on the west side of Columbus Road. :oops:
« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 09:49:12 AM by lafont »

Online Clefan98

• 947'-Key Tower
« Reply #167 on: August 26, 2015, 09:49:54 AM »
NW 2015

023:  Ohio City Townhomes (C)
2105 Abbey Avenue
Project Representatives

Sam McNulty, Project Principal; Gary Ogrocki, Dimit Architects
Proposed construction of two townhouse buildings containing a total of seven units on the SE corner of the Abbey Avenue

Columbus Road intersection in the Duck Island neighborhood

http://planning.city.cleveland.oh.us/designreview/drcagenda/2015/pdf/NWAgenda8-26-15.pdf

Offline jjames0408

• 947'-Key Tower
« Reply #168 on: August 26, 2015, 10:05:17 AM »
NW 2015

023:  Ohio City Townhomes (C)
2105 Abbey Avenue
Project Representatives

Sam McNulty, Project Principal; Gary Ogrocki, Dimit Architects
Proposed construction of two townhouse buildings containing a total of seven units on the SE corner of the Abbey Avenue

Columbus Road intersection in the Duck Island neighborhood

http://planning.city.cleveland.oh.us/designreview/drcagenda/2015/pdf/NWAgenda8-26-15.pdf
That'll be a nice change for that intersection!

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #169 on: August 26, 2015, 10:06:20 AM »

That'll be a nice change for that intersection!

There's renderings posted above, and yes they look good!

Online freethink

• 1450'-Willis Tower
« Reply #170 on: October 09, 2015, 03:39:19 PM »
http://www.freshwatercleveland.com/devnews/duckisland100715.aspx

High-End and Ultra Green: The new face of Duck  Island
ERIN O'BRIEN | WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 07, 2015
live small  dream big

Online Mendo

• 771'-Terminal Tower
« Reply #171 on: October 09, 2015, 05:34:25 PM »
^ Great article. Some comments from Berges allude to opposition to these developments. I've heard the same thing. Like the townhouses south of the animal clinic are basically dead in the water because of the residents across the street.

Offline skorasaurus

• 555'-LeVeque Tower
    • My blog/map portfolio
« Reply #172 on: October 09, 2015, 05:37:23 PM »
^ Great article. Some comments from Berges allude to opposition to these developments. I've heard the same thing. Like the townhouses south of the animal clinic are basically dead in the water because of the residents across the street.
There's a lot of NIMBYs and to put it crudely, more 'I support the NRA' door stickers and confederate flags in duck Island than you'd think (more than one or zero).
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 05:37:53 PM by skorasaurus »

Online TPH2

• 1450'-Willis Tower
  • Cleveland Boomerang via Washington, DC
    • Twitter
« Reply #173 on: October 09, 2015, 06:21:42 PM »
^ Sometimes I hate democracy
The quality of life in cities has much to do with systems of transport...Many cars, used by one or more people, circulate in cities, causing traffic congestion, raising the level of pollution, and consuming enormous quantities of non-renewable energy. -Pope Francis

Offline clvlndr

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #174 on: October 09, 2015, 06:47:52 PM »
^Sounds like some of these cretins would be more at home in Duck Dynasty rather than Duck Island.  I hope they're all driven out of there with those kinds of backward attitudes.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 06:48:30 PM by clvlndr »

Remove Ads