Author Topic: Blue Ash: Development and News  (Read 24778 times)

Offline thebillshark

• 771'-Terminal Tower
Re: Blue Ash: Development and News
« Reply #70 on: March 09, 2017, 03:06:32 PM »
^ The other part that would really put Cincy over the edge is getting the plates over FWW and putting as dense of residential / office as possible, then slowing down Third Street.  It's funny walking down that hill from the Canyon of gorgeous buildings too the wide openess of 3rd Street, FWW, then 2nd Street.  The Banks really is an island of itself, connecting that would make it world class.  Dream big!

I agree these would be nice but they would be incredibly expensive and I think it would be better now to take a step back and analyze what we can do to kick start more organic growth. Once again I have no doubt in my mind that Cincy can gather up TIF and city funding and work with 3cdc to pull off a big project like 84.51, 8th and Sycamore, or 4th and Race at about the rate of one every two years. But we need to know why not one surface lot has broken ranks and been developed yet even after the launch of the streetcar. We need to know why a project like the Mchahn's building did not work out even after landing tax credits.

Offline jmecklenborg

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • An Apollo Legend
« Reply #71 on: March 09, 2017, 04:37:37 PM »
^The city needs to adopt the looser form-based code that Nashville has in place in its booming neighborhoods.  It opens the door for small-time developers to put up small multi-families.  Cranley hates it because his developer buddies only do 50+ (and more like 100+) unit complexes and don't want small guys nibbling at the edges of the market.  I think a higher density form-based code is critical to seeing areas like the West End, Mt. Auburn, and Walnut Hills to really take off.  Otherwise you're sitting around waiting for big developers to pull the trigger on big projects, but then people who own random lots can't put up much other than single-family homes. 

Offline ColDayMan

• Administrator
  • ♪♪ An Apollo Legend! ♪♪
« Reply #72 on: March 10, 2017, 03:24:14 PM »
Here’s the latest on neo-traditional homes coming to a massive Blue Ash project

M/I Homes of Cincinnati LLC is bringing more than 100 new homes to Blue Ash, but most of them will have a design that puts a new twist on older designs.

More below:
http://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2017/03/10/here-s-the-latest-on-neo-traditional-homes-coming.html
I love it when people come into a message board and immediately begin to mix it up.  I mean, Jesus, at least say hello!  Do you walk into a room full of strangers, pick a random woman, and tell her she's fat? - buildingcincinnati

Offline jmecklenborg

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • An Apollo Legend
« Reply #73 on: May 17, 2017, 09:26:21 AM »
Summit Park 5/17/17...
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 09:39:06 AM by jmecklenborg »

Offline edale

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #74 on: May 17, 2017, 05:03:31 PM »
Wow, that tower is actually built!? Next time I come home I'll have to check that out. Apparently Blue Ash airport is the highest point in Hamilton County, and you're supposed to be able to see downtown from the top of the tower. Should be a pretty cool view from up there.

Offline jmecklenborg

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • An Apollo Legend
« Reply #75 on: May 17, 2017, 05:11:39 PM »
The tower itself is pretty unimpressive, so far.  A construction side indicates that there will be an elevator to the top, but hopefully you can climb the steps as well. 

Offline SleepyLeroy

• 468'-Scripps Center
« Reply #76 on: May 17, 2017, 05:32:11 PM »
Wow, that tower is actually built!? Next time I come home I'll have to check that out. Apparently Blue Ash airport is the highest point in Hamilton County, and you're supposed to be able to see downtown from the top of the tower. Should be a pretty cool view from up there.

I asked the architects when they put a photo of topped out tower on facebook and they said that you can indeed see downtown from up there.  I also was there on a really windy day (like today is) watching to see that roof flutter and it was rock solid despite its wing look (haha)!.

Offline OHSnap

• 468'-Scripps Center
« Reply #77 on: May 18, 2017, 07:58:51 AM »
^I believe the highest point in Hamilton County is the base of the Mt. Airy water tower.

http://www.peakbagger.com/peak.aspx?pid=23199

Offline ColDayMan

• Administrator
« Reply #78 on: May 18, 2017, 10:46:22 PM »
Blue Ash airport development team adds new partner

The team that's transforming the former Blue Ash airport into a massive mixed-use development has added a new partner.

More below:
http://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2017/05/18/exclusive-blue-ash-airport-development-team-adds.html

I love it when people come into a message board and immediately begin to mix it up.  I mean, Jesus, at least say hello!  Do you walk into a room full of strangers, pick a random woman, and tell her she's fat? - buildingcincinnati

Offline thebillshark

• 771'-Terminal Tower
« Reply #79 on: May 18, 2017, 10:52:11 PM »
My whole thing with these "walkable" developments in the burbs is...will you be able to walk to a part of the neighborhood that's NOT part of the development from there? It seems they're hemmed in by huge highway like roads and parking lots so someone would never leave a designated area. Kind of misses the point and panders to a buzzword.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 10:52:49 PM by thebillshark »

Offline jmecklenborg

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • An Apollo Legend
« Reply #80 on: May 19, 2017, 01:03:06 AM »
^No, nothing in that area can really be walked to.  But the edge of this huge development is only about 1,200 feet from where a light rail station would have been built at Glendale-Milford had Metro Moves passed, so it's conceivable that there would have been some real walking. 

Offline jjakucyk

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
    • Cincinnati Traction History
« Reply #81 on: May 19, 2017, 08:20:57 AM »
Even if they are right next to existing development, those neighbors are so likely to go full-on NIMBY that they won't allow even a pedestrian connection, let alone a street.  One of those seamy pedestrians might wander into the respectable old neighborhood and bite the head off someone's lawn gnome. 

Just a mile or so away at the TriHealth Pavilion at I-71 and Pfeiffer they have a solid fence along the entire west edge of the property against the residential subdivision behind.  Although there's pathways through to the industrial park to the north and a paved running trail around the building, it is physically impossible for a pedestrian to get between TriHealth and the subdivision.  I can understand not wanting through road traffic, but through joggers? 

Even in the city there's people who want to close hillside steps, block sidewalks, and cut off streets.  You just don't see this kind of blatant hostility towards walking in other countries. In places like Australia or much of Europe where their suburban street grids are similarly dendritic to ours, their pedestrian and cycling paths reestablish the connectivity.  They're not afraid to have a sidewalk or a bike path connecting through without being part of a street. 

The number of pedestrians in these renderings is beyond comical too. 

Offline seicer

• Premium Member
« Reply #82 on: May 19, 2017, 08:55:25 AM »
It's a start. Compare Easton when it was first developed to what it has blossomed into today. It's still surrounded by suburban outposts (well, sprawl), but it's density reach has spread beyond its original boundaries.

Who is the developer for this? The article didn't state it before it got cut off for the paywall.

Offline SleepyLeroy

• 468'-Scripps Center
« Reply #83 on: May 19, 2017, 09:01:44 AM »
Over in Delhi there is one cul-de-sac that has a public sidewalk from it to the main street and it is so rare to see i was shocked when i drove by it. My house is similar in that it existed by a farm for decades until the farm was redeveloped and a cul-de-sac neighborhood was added in. If I had the money to put a similar connection in for them to get to the main road I'm on I'd do it. Till then, i told the kids back there who have asked that i dont mind if they hop the fence to save them two blocks of walking to get to out. These days i should probably have their parents sign some sort of legal waver though, ugh. https://www.google.com/maps/place/Delhi,+OH/@39.1049103,-84.6202996,166m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x8841ca299bc86dcf:0x2b75114f6dcec6f6!8m2!3d39.0950595!4d-84.6052225
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.104345,-84.6201184,3a,75y,13.6h,86.73t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sbCF7i4fIPA275iqqVtMatQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Offline taestell

• Global Moderator
  • 부자태
    • UrbanCincy
« Reply #84 on: May 19, 2017, 10:05:37 AM »
Those are the infamous "catwalks"!
Check out my photography on Flickr or Instagram | Twitter: @urbancincy & @taestell | The UrbanCincy Podcast (iTunes)

Offline jwulsin

• 1450'-Willis Tower
« Reply #85 on: May 19, 2017, 10:36:00 AM »
It's a start. Compare Easton when it was first developed to what it has blossomed into today. It's still surrounded by suburban outposts (well, sprawl), but it's density reach has spread beyond its original boundaries.

Who is the developer for this? The article didn't state it before it got cut off for the paywall.

Fortus, Vandercar Holdings, MKSK and M/I Homes.

Towne Properties was previously working on the project, but they're no longer involved.

Offline jmecklenborg

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • An Apollo Legend

Offline bendixondavis

• 468'-Scripps Center
« Reply #87 on: May 19, 2017, 07:12:58 PM »
Honestly there are a lot of sidewalks along Reed Hartman and Plainfield. That doesn't mean that it's super nice for pedestrians, but they are there.  Mostly only see people walking by ethicon office park and by the new park. It was crazy last summer there was a food truck festival in the new summit park and there were office workers walking at least half a mile to go to it.

Offline jjakucyk

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
    • Cincinnati Traction History
« Reply #88 on: May 19, 2017, 07:22:59 PM »
Most suburban sidewalks seem to be little more than paths for dog walking or kids to ride scooters.  If you're lucky a kid may have a friend a few doors down.  Getting to your neighbor's across the back fence, to another subdivision, school, or convenience store on the other hand is going to be nearly impossible.  That's especially true with newer pseudo-gated subdivisions that only have one exit to the old farm road that never got upgraded and is still lined with ditches and scrub.

Offline jmecklenborg

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • An Apollo Legend
« Reply #89 on: May 20, 2017, 12:31:13 PM »
I had reason to be in Blue Ash twice this past week and drove Reed Hartman Hwy each time...it's surreal and pretty depressing.  The grass is green, the trees are in bloom, but the whole thing feels strange and dead because the buildings are all brooding with their tinted glass.  I can't help but think that the setting puts workers in a bad mood.  A newer warehouse district is different because so many of those buildings don't have air conditioning and so there are open dock doors and other signs of life. 

Offline ColDayMan

• Administrator
« Reply #90 on: May 22, 2017, 05:02:13 PM »
Developers purchase former Blue Ash airport

One of the largest mixed-use developments planned in Greater Cincinnati took a big step forward last week.

More below:
http://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2017/05/22/exclusive-developers-purchase-former-blue-ash.html

Remove Ads