Author Topic: Gun Rights  (Read 114434 times)

Offline Ram23

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
Re: Gun Rights
« Reply #1540 on: February 17, 2017, 10:57:39 AM »
Semi-automatic weapons with large loaded capacity favor defenders over attackers.[/color]

This is a completely irrelevant point.  Sure, if my home were under attack by roving hoards of bad hombres I totally agree that a large capacity magazine would be to my benefit, but that's not the world we live in.  We don't set up fortified defensive positions designed to sustain long term sieges.  We live in a civilized society, E Rocc.  One where large capacity magazines are used far more often for horrific mass shootings than they are for defensive reasons.

Who are people pissing off that bad to always have to worry about a home invasion? Are you a drug dealer? Do you owe people money for drugs?

Some random crackhead broke into a neighbors house a few weeks ago and stabbed him so he could steal a Playstation and some video games. The guy was just looking for some crap to pawn for drugs and didn't care about hurting someone to get it. You don't need to have enemies to be victimized.

Offline Hts121

• UO Supporting Member
  • It's still just like your opinion, man
« Reply #1541 on: February 17, 2017, 11:01:26 AM »
You don't need to have enemies to be victimized.

Correct.... says every victim of Sandy Hook, Charleston, and the approximately 60 children under the age of 14 accidentally killed each year by someone with a gun.  That last number -- 60 -- is, by the way, about double the amount of TOTAL gun deaths per year in the UK.
Your true friends will help you up when someone knocks you down.  Your best friend will say "Stay down, I got this."

Online GCrites80s

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Running Free
« Reply #1542 on: February 17, 2017, 11:20:12 AM »
The reason the military spends so much time training people on hand-to-hand combat and disarming is that in close quarters (such as in a house) those things are more effective than guns. Of course, that involves getting good at something and physical activity rather than just spending money.

Offline Ram23

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #1543 on: February 17, 2017, 12:10:04 PM »
You don't need to have enemies to be victimized.

Correct.... says every victim of Sandy Hook, Charleston, and the approximately 60 children under the age of 14 accidentally killed each year by someone with a gun.  That last number -- 60 -- is, by the way, about double the amount of TOTAL gun deaths per year in the UK.

Accidental shootings and mass shootings via assault rifle do not even come close to being the biggest concerns when it comes to violence in America. They're just the ones that you can try to use to appeal to emotion. Although I noticed you left far worse shootings like Orlando off of your list.. I wonder why?

Anti-gun nuts need to realize that they're never going to convince the bulk of gun owners, who are reasonable people who would never let their guns be used to nefarious reasons, to give up their rights because bad and dumb people misuse their guns. The problem with guns in America isn't the guns themselves, it's a problem of personal irresponsibility that permeates our country, far more so than many other developed nations.

Offline Hts121

• UO Supporting Member
« Reply #1544 on: February 17, 2017, 12:22:58 PM »
Sorry.  You can add Orlando or whatever other mass shooting you need to see listed.  They are all tragic to me.  The victims are all innocent humans.

You on the other hand only post about events like these when the perps are not white.  I wonder why?  Hmmmmmmm.  But don't worry, I'm not made at you.  It's altwhite..... errrr, I mean altright..... errrrrr, I mean alright.

Accidental shootings and mass shootings via assault rifle do not even come close to being the biggest concerns when it comes to violence in America.

So then we do nothing about them?  Food stamps and welfare checks do not even come close to being the biggest concerns when it comes to our nation's debt/deficit.  I suppose we should ignore those too?  ISIS does not even come close to being the biggest concern when it comes to "violence in America".  We should ignore ISIS?  I have trouble following this supposed logic.  You are reaching. 
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 12:25:12 PM by Hts121 »
Your true friends will help you up when someone knocks you down.  Your best friend will say "Stay down, I got this."

Offline Hootenany

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #1545 on: February 17, 2017, 12:36:24 PM »
Anti-gun nuts need to realize that they're never going to convince the bulk of gun owners, who are reasonable people who would never let their guns be used to nefarious reasons, to give up their rights because bad and dumb people misuse their guns. The problem with guns in America isn't the guns themselves, it's a problem of personal irresponsibility that permeates our country, far more so than many other developed nations.

I can't speak for everyone, but I certainly wouldn't ask them to give up their right to own a gun.  But perhaps there are things we can do to make those weapons safer and less easy to use for mass killings.  The only sporting purpose of high capacity magazines is convenience.  That's it.  Perhaps in the name of public safety gun enthusiasts would be willing to shoulder the burden of a small inconvenience of reloading every 10 shots (I'm sure many of them would).  But any reasonable debate surrounding prevention of gun violence is essentially forbidden by the NRA who tells its followers that any restriction of gun ownership is a slippery slope toward confiscation and slavery.

Offline jmecklenborg

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • An Apollo Legend
« Reply #1546 on: February 17, 2017, 01:34:29 PM »
^The sex must've been good

They didn't have sex until they were married and she became pregnant the very first week.  You can't make this stuff up. 

Offline moonloop

• 665'-Queen City Square
« Reply #1547 on: February 22, 2017, 01:31:15 PM »
good. progress.

Assault Weapons Not Protected by Second Amendment, Federal Appeals Court Rules
by THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
ANNAPOLIS, Md. — Maryland's ban on 45 kinds of assault weapons and its 10-round limit on gun magazines were upheld Tuesday.
"Put simply, we have no power to extend Second Amendment protections to weapons of war," Judge Robert King wrote for the court, adding that the Supreme Court's decision in District of Columbia v. Heller explicitly excluded such coverage.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/assault-weapons-not-protected-second-amendment-federal-appeals-court-rules-n724106

Offline E Rocc

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Defender Of The Sprawl
« Reply #1548 on: February 22, 2017, 04:03:48 PM »
good. progress.

by THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
ANNAPOLIS, Md. — Maryland's ban on 45 kinds of assault weapons and its 10-round limit on gun magazines were upheld Tuesday.
"Put simply, we have no power to extend Second Amendment protections to weapons of war," Judge Robert King wrote for the court, adding that the Supreme Court's decision in District of Columbia v. Heller explicitly excluded such coverage.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/assault-weapons-not-protected-second-amendment-federal-appeals-court-rules-n724106

If anything, the "militia" clause means that basic military weapons are protected.  Even the government's attorneys in Miller argued that the shotgun in question could not be construed a military weapon.

Courts often make exclusions with respect to issues either not brought before them or not covered by precedent.   Heller did not establish the status of assault weapons because the plaintiffs did not argue about them.  It's much like Clarence Thomas's reminder that medical marijuana cases did not establish the Controlled Substances Act as Constitutional because it was not challenged.
"I mean, this man just can't be president of the US. I mean, they got this button, it's in a briefcase, he's gonna find it."
- P. J. O'Rourke

Offline Hts121

• UO Supporting Member
« Reply #1549 on: February 22, 2017, 04:19:31 PM »
^Can't use the "militia" clause when its suits your purposes and ignore it when it doesn't.  If military weapons are protected, then I should be able to own whatever the military keeps in its stockpile, including MI tanks and nuclear submarines. 

Offline E Rocc

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Defender Of The Sprawl
« Reply #1550 on: February 22, 2017, 08:06:26 PM »
^Can't use the "militia" clause when its suits your purposes and ignore it when it doesn't.  If military weapons are protected, then I should be able to own whatever the military keeps in its stockpile, including MI tanks and nuclear submarines. 

It's a justification, not a modifier.   But much depends on the meaning of the word "arms".

An AR-15 isn't quite a military rifle anyway, it's not full auto
"I mean, this man just can't be president of the US. I mean, they got this button, it's in a briefcase, he's gonna find it."
- P. J. O'Rourke

Offline Hts121

• UO Supporting Member
« Reply #1551 on: February 23, 2017, 07:36:56 AM »
^neither is a missile launcher

Offline E Rocc

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Defender Of The Sprawl
« Reply #1552 on: February 23, 2017, 07:55:18 AM »
The reason the military spends so much time training people on hand-to-hand combat and disarming is that in close quarters (such as in a house) those things are more effective than guns. Of course, that involves getting good at something and physical activity rather than just spending money.

It also involves being at least reasonably young and, in the vast majority of cases, male. 

Guns allow a 5 foot tall older woman to successfully resist a physically much stronger attacker.   Semiautomatic weapons let her resist several.

- P. J. O'Rourke

Offline Ram23

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #1553 on: February 23, 2017, 09:33:00 AM »
^Can't use the "militia" clause when its suits your purposes and ignore it when it doesn't.

Perhaps you should tell that to our court system, who is doing exactly that, not E Rocc, who is simply using legal precedent. The militia clause does actually help preserve gun rights, IMO.

Miller states: "The Court cannot take judicial notice that a shotgun having a barrel less than 18 inches long has today any reasonable relation to the preservation or efficiency of a well regulated militia, and therefore cannot say that the Second Amendment guarantees to the citizen the right to keep and bear such a weapon."

So if a weapon has a use in the militia the 2nd Amendment guarantees the citizens can bear such a weapon. Heller goes on to stipulate that ownership of said weapons is an individual right, so you do not need to actually be a part of any actual militia to have this right.

That said, this ruling is based on politics, not law or precedent. This court should be ashamed. They managed to ignore both Heller and Miller in order to make their ruling. If nothing else that's pretty impressive, most liberals just try to ignore one or the other.

Online GCrites80s

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Running Free
« Reply #1554 on: February 23, 2017, 10:08:31 AM »

It also involves being at least reasonably young and, in the vast majority of cases, male. 

Guns allow a 5 foot tall older woman to successfully resist a physically much stronger attacker.   Semiautomatic weapons let her resist several.

How often has this "Stop or My Mom Will Shoot" scenario played out?

Offline Hts121

• UO Supporting Member
« Reply #1555 on: February 23, 2017, 10:14:34 AM »
^probably a fraction of the times "my toddler did shoot" played out.

Offline E Rocc

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Defender Of The Sprawl
« Reply #1556 on: February 23, 2017, 11:45:56 AM »
^Can't use the "militia" clause when its suits your purposes and ignore it when it doesn't.

Perhaps you should tell that to our court system, who is doing exactly that, not E Rocc, who is simply using legal precedent. The militia clause does actually help preserve gun rights, IMO.

Miller states: "The Court cannot take judicial notice that a shotgun having a barrel less than 18 inches long has today any reasonable relation to the preservation or efficiency of a well regulated militia, and therefore cannot say that the Second Amendment guarantees to the citizen the right to keep and bear such a weapon."

So if a weapon has a use in the militia the 2nd Amendment guarantees the citizens can bear such a weapon. Heller goes on to stipulate that ownership of said weapons is an individual right, so you do not need to actually be a part of any actual militia to have this right.

That said, this ruling is based on politics, not law or precedent. This court should be ashamed. They managed to ignore both Heller and Miller in order to make their ruling. If nothing else that's pretty impressive, most liberals just try to ignore one or the other.

The really crazy thing about Miller is it wasn’t actually argued at the Supreme Court level.   Only the government was represented.   The case was dismissed by the District Court and Jack Miller was released.  He vanished and his attorney did not have the resources to travel to DC.  Therefore, only the government’s arguments could be considered.

Needless to say, this would not happen today.

- P. J. O'Rourke

Offline E Rocc

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Defender Of The Sprawl
« Reply #1557 on: February 23, 2017, 12:21:14 PM »

How often has this "Stop or My Mom Will Shoot" scenario played out?

http://reason.com/blog/2015/03/09/how-to-count-the-defensive-use-of-guns

At least 100,000 a year, possibly as many as 2.5 million.  It depends on the definition.  The vast majority do not involve firing the gun. 

There was a time in Bedford when my girlfriend saw some strange guys in the parking lot, my neighbor and I both walked outside weapons in hand.  They were testing the locks on parked cars, saw us, and bolted.  Does that count?
- P. J. O'Rourke

Online GCrites80s

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Running Free
« Reply #1558 on: February 23, 2017, 12:32:23 PM »
I threw rotten eggs out of my 3rd floor window one time at a guy who was doing that. He bolted.

Offline bfwissel

• 629'-Rhodes State Tower
    • My Cincinnati Life
« Reply #1559 on: February 23, 2017, 12:40:10 PM »
I threw rotten eggs out of my 3rd floor window one time at a guy who was doing that. He bolted.

You mean you didn't use a 9mm Uzi?  Gonna have to take away your man card ;-) :P
"Someone's sitting in the shade today because someone planted a tree a long time ago." - Warren Buffett

Offline E Rocc

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Defender Of The Sprawl
« Reply #1560 on: February 23, 2017, 05:23:54 PM »

Well I only had one floor and a sanitary refrigerator.  :)
- P. J. O'Rourke

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #1561 on: February 24, 2017, 07:32:43 AM »
"George Washington could never tell a lie.
Richard Nixon could never tell the truth.
Donald Trump cannot tell the difference."

-- Mark Shields,  News Hour

Offline E Rocc

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Defender Of The Sprawl
« Reply #1562 on: February 24, 2017, 09:38:20 AM »
Yay

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/assault-weapons-not-protected-second-amendment-federal-appeals-court-rules-n724106?cid=sm_npd_ms_fb_lw

Same case as referenced above.  Same replies.

By the way, there's a way to deal with laws like this, that could benefit Ohio:

http://money.cnn.com/2015/12/17/news/companies/beretta-guns-factory-tennessee-maryland/

- P. J. O'Rourke

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #1563 on: March 14, 2017, 01:55:11 PM »
When we value a "freedom" more than we value life....

Despite Missouri mother's plea, mentally ill daughter was sold a gun. She shot her father an hour later.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/ct-mentally-ill-gun-sales-20170306-story.html

Offline Ram23

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #1564 on: March 28, 2017, 12:46:10 PM »
Homeowner's son shoots, kills three would-be burglars

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/03/27/homeowners-son-shoots-kills-three-would-be-burglars.html

Three would-be robbers were shot and killed Monday when an Oklahoma homeowner's son opened fire on them with an AR-15, authorities said.

Wagoner County sheriff's deputies were called to the home in Broken Arrow, southeast of Tulsa at around 12:30 p.m. local time. When they arrived, they found the three dead suspects and two uninjured residents.

Sheriff's spokesman Deputy Nick Mahoney said the suspects enetered the home through a glass back door with the intent to burglarize it. It was not immediately clear why they picked that home.

The article linked to in the above has more information:

http://okcfox.com/news/local/wagoner-co-sheriffs-office-investigating-triple-homicide-in-broken-arrow-area

All 3 were shot in the house, the one guy ran away after being shot but only made it so far as the driveway. The getaway driver has been charged with 3 counts of murder because of her role.

Offline Hts121

• UO Supporting Member
« Reply #1565 on: March 28, 2017, 01:37:35 PM »

Offline E Rocc

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Defender Of The Sprawl
« Reply #1566 on: March 28, 2017, 01:47:25 PM »
Homeowner's son shoots, kills three would-be burglars

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/03/27/homeowners-son-shoots-kills-three-would-be-burglars.html

Three would-be robbers were shot and killed Monday when an Oklahoma homeowner's son opened fire on them with an AR-15, authorities said.

Wagoner County sheriff's deputies were called to the home in Broken Arrow, southeast of Tulsa at around 12:30 p.m. local time. When they arrived, they found the three dead suspects and two uninjured residents.

Sheriff's spokesman Deputy Nick Mahoney said the suspects enetered the home through a glass back door with the intent to burglarize it. It was not immediately clear why they picked that home.

The article linked to in the above has more information:

http://okcfox.com/news/local/wagoner-co-sheriffs-office-investigating-triple-homicide-in-broken-arrow-area

All 3 were shot in the house, the one guy ran away after being shot but only made it so far as the driveway. The getaway driver has been charged with 3 counts of murder because of her role.

The thing is, if they had surrendered or possibly even left this would likely not have been reported.
- P. J. O'Rourke

Offline Cleburger

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #1567 on: April 01, 2017, 01:20:21 PM »
Allow us to review:

Number of guns confiscated by Obama:  0

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/04/01/without-obama-once-booming-gun-industry-poised-to-shrink.html

NRA Contributions to candidates in 2016 election:  $1.1 Million.

https://www.opensecrets.org/orgs/summary.php?id=d000000082

I got some records from World War II
I play 'em just like me grand dad do
He was a rocker and I am too....Now Cleveland rocks....

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #1568 on: April 08, 2017, 08:43:44 PM »
Now that's funny....

NRA employee accidentally shoots self at organization’s headquarters https://t.co/xK2uiJDVwe

Online down4cle

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #1569 on: April 08, 2017, 08:50:55 PM »
^ They needed a good guy with a gun.

Offline Cleburger

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #1570 on: May 08, 2017, 02:15:29 PM »
I got some records from World War II
I play 'em just like me grand dad do
He was a rocker and I am too....Now Cleveland rocks....

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #1571 on: May 19, 2017, 11:18:58 AM »
A friend from Ireland saw this and asked me why Americans have such a sexual fetish with guns. Since I have never owned a gun, I couldn't answer...

Investigators find more than 60 weapons in home of Kirkersville shooter
http://www.dispatch.com/news/20170517/investigators-find-more-than-60-weapons-in-home-of-kirkersville-shooter

Remove Ads