Author Topic: Health Care  (Read 59864 times)

Offline down4cle

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Banned!
Re: Health Care
« Reply #1120 on: July 28, 2017, 01:07:12 PM »
^ when voter suppression and gerrymandering aren't enough.  Gerrymander the Senate too.

Offline Cleburger

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #1121 on: July 28, 2017, 04:30:52 PM »
The vote last night is extremely disheartening. As a small business owner I have seen my company's premiums double over the last 6 years. I do know whenever government becomes involved in a matter the end result is never a less cumbersome or less expensive result. I want to expand my business, but, it is extremely difficult to do so when you can only hire part-time employees. I am sure there are many other small business owners on this forum that are in my exact position.

Why aren't more business owners supportive of universal healthcare or at least universal health insurance (medicare for all)?  This would relieve business owners of the massive burden of providing health insurance for their employees.  If I were a small business owner I would be begging for it.  Otherwise how do you compete against the big boys?  You can't... and maybe that's exactly how they want it.

I second this sentiment.   

As an independent contractor, I am technically a sole proprietor that makes up 73 percent of the small businesses that Republicans supposedly wanted to "help" with Trumpcare.  I can tell you buying insurance for myself and one other employee was a NIGHTMARE prior to the ACA. 

So premiums are going up, but they were before the ACA as well (something the GOP always leaves out of their talking points).  The majority of the baby boomer generation is now over 60....certain to cause ripples in the risk pool.    Premiums are also increasing more rapidly now as the GOP has been taking more steps post-Trump to sabotage it, resulting in chaos in the insurance market.  The insurance companies are responding to all this by raising rates since they are uncertain of what to expect in the coming years (and desire maximum profits of course). 

So now that the GOP has failed miserably at their plan to repeal and replace, it's time for both parties to do what's right for America, rather than the lobbyists or just scoring a "win" against the Libruls.

I got some records from World War II
I play 'em just like me grand dad do
He was a rocker and I am too....Now Cleveland rocks....

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #1122 on: July 29, 2017, 01:28:01 PM »
Congratulations, the not-currently-on-fire are paying for firefighters, too....

Fox & Friends... "Congratulations, the healthy people are paying for the sick people." https://t.co/AfGn0ytc5E
"Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we've been waiting for."-- Barack Obama

Offline CBC

• Just a Gigalo in the "Real Housewives of Cleveland!"
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1123 on: August 02, 2017, 10:09:24 AM »
I'll throw this out here for discussion. I may be more aware of SMA than the general public because my sisters good friend lost her daughter to it at 18 mos old, but it's a terrible terminal condition that
strikes infants and very small children.

The article touches on how this new treatment was priced by comparing it to other exotic (overpriced) life saving medications. It's $125k a dose, so $750k the first year and $375k every year after that, for a drug that is basically the only hope parents have of extending their child's life. Market based pricing, relies on competition and rational actors, there is neither in this case. It seems like a fleecing to me. Yes, they give it to low income patients at no cost, but I suspect they begged their dosage cost that insurance will cover to meet a desired profit.

Drug Puts A $750,000 ‘Price Tag On Life’

By Julie Appleby August 2, 2017   

Jana Gundy and Amanda Chaffin live within two hours of each other in Oklahoma. Each has a child with the same devastating disease, one that robs them of muscle strength, affecting their ability to sit, stand or even breathe.

So both families were ecstatic when the Food and Drug Administration approved the first treatment for the genetic condition — known as spinal muscular atrophy (SMA) — two days before Christmas 2016. It seemed the gift they had been waiting for — a chance to slow the heartbreaking decline of their young sons.

link to the rest of  the article:
http://khn.org/news/drug-puts-a-750000-price-tag-on-life/
If I were a color, I'd be bitter brown. As in Cleveland Browns fan bitter....

Offline Brutus_buckeye

• 947'-Key Tower

Offline taestell

• Global Moderator
  • Obtaining Glory on UrbanOhio since 2008.™
    • UrbanCincy
« Reply #1125 on: August 02, 2017, 11:02:01 AM »
Insurance companies have agreed to offer plans on the marketplace in 19 out of the 20 Ohio counties that previously didn't have plans available. That means that there are only 19 counties in the U.S. that have no plans available, and only 12,076 people actually live in those counties.
Check out my photography on Flickr or Instagram | Twitter: @urbancincy & @taestell | The UrbanCincy Podcast (iTunes)

Offline Hts121

• UO Supporting Member
  • It's still just like your opinion, man
« Reply #1126 on: August 02, 2017, 11:42:27 AM »
^I never quite understood that angle.  There are counties where no plans are offered on the ACA marketplace.  But there are OTHER plans available for purchase through the private marketplace, correct? 
Your true friends will help you up when someone knocks you down.  Your best friend will say "Stay down, I got this."

Offline taestell

• Global Moderator
    • UrbanCincy
« Reply #1127 on: August 02, 2017, 11:46:25 AM »
No, the ACA marketplace is the only mechanism for selling health care plans directly to the public. But most of the people who live in those counties are probably either getting health care from their employer or from Medicaid or Medicare. So the number of people who want to buy a plan on the marketplace but can't might only be a few thousand people in the entire country.
Check out my photography on Flickr or Instagram | Twitter: @urbancincy & @taestell | The UrbanCincy Podcast (iTunes)

Offline taestell

• Global Moderator
    • UrbanCincy
« Reply #1128 on: August 02, 2017, 11:52:30 AM »

As you can clearly see, most of the counties where no plans are available are the very large rural counties in Nevada. It's clear why insurance companies don't want to offer plans here. It's expensive to provide medical care because everything so spread out, and there are hardly any residents in those counties to pay for it anyway. There are 13 Nevada counties with less than 50k residents.

For western states where everything's so spread out, the county probably isn't the best unit for health care. That's why Nevada is one of the few states considering implementing some sort of statewide alternative to the ACA, something like a public option or a single payer system.

Offline GCrites80s

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Running Free
« Reply #1129 on: August 02, 2017, 11:52:40 AM »
That's still a flaw in policy if someone's county's population is too small for them to have healthcare.

Offline taestell

• Global Moderator
    • UrbanCincy
« Reply #1130 on: August 02, 2017, 11:56:35 AM »
That's still a flaw in policy if someone's county's population is too small for them to have healthcare.

The ACA has a provision where states are allowed to opt out of the ACA if they're able to come up with an alternative plan that covers the same amount of people with the same quality of care for the same cost (or improves any of those factors). If Nevada is so different than the rest of the country (which it seems like they might be, given their unique status on the map above), that provision sounds like the perfect option for them.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 11:58:06 AM by taestell »

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #1131 on: August 04, 2017, 03:16:15 PM »
Republican donor sues GOP for fraud after Obamacare repeal failure http://hill.cm/3eCsKiU
"Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we've been waiting for."-- Barack Obama

Offline Clevelander17

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #1132 on: August 04, 2017, 06:56:10 PM »
Republican donor sues GOP for fraud after Obamacare repeal failure http://hill.cm/3eCsKiU

:laugh:

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #1133 on: August 06, 2017, 02:19:56 PM »
Top GOP senator knocks Trump: He's "the only person" who didn't know healthcare was complicated https://t.co/c2vPhk9AMb

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #1134 on: August 11, 2017, 08:43:19 PM »
For Profit Health Care Was Illegal Until Nixon Changed Everything
http://www.topsecretwriters.com/2017/06/profit-health-care-illegal-nixon-changed-everything/

Offline taestell

• Global Moderator
    • UrbanCincy
« Reply #1135 on: August 15, 2017, 01:14:41 PM »

As you can clearly see, most of the counties where no plans are available are the very large rural counties in Nevada. It's clear why insurance companies don't want to offer plans here. It's expensive to provide medical care because everything so spread out, and there are hardly any residents in those counties to pay for it anyway. There are 13 Nevada counties with less than 50k residents.

For western states where everything's so spread out, the county probably isn't the best unit for health care. That's why Nevada is one of the few states considering implementing some sort of statewide alternative to the ACA, something like a public option or a single payer system.

Insurance company Centene has stepped up and will offer plans on the ACA marketplace in Nevada. Only two counties are left in the country without any plans available on the marketplace. Only 500 people are enrolled in market place plans in those two counties. So the talk of a "death spiral" seems to be massively exaggerated at this point in time.

Offline audidave

• 771'-Terminal Tower
  • Akron skyline
« Reply #1136 on: August 15, 2017, 01:44:10 PM »
^^Great article KJP!   I didn't realize when that change took place.  I've always felt that it is unethical for there to be for-profit health insurance companies.   I would like to see that aspect overturned.

Offline GCrites80s

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Running Free
« Reply #1137 on: August 15, 2017, 02:19:12 PM »
Remutulization would definitely help keep the money in the people's hands. I'm not sure how the current stockholders get money for their shares in that situation though.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 02:19:45 PM by GCrites80s »

Offline jmecklenborg

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #1138 on: August 15, 2017, 03:47:54 PM »
Remutulization would definitely help keep the money in the people's hands. I'm not sure how the current stockholders get money for their shares in that situation though.

When Anthem demutualized in 2003 it caused total chaos since many pension funds had been invested in it but the courts ruled that the proceeds were the possession of the cities or states, not the pension funds themselves.  Now-mayor John Cranley didn't even consider putting the $50 million proceed back into Cincinnati's pension fund -- instead he rained it on mostly black leadership around the city (like Steve Reece) in his bid to build broad support from black voters. 

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #1139 on: August 15, 2017, 04:24:01 PM »
This guy is just a straight-up a-hole...

Trump Threat to Obamacare Would Send Premiums and Deficit Skyward
https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/08/15/us/politics/cbo-obamacare-cost-sharing-reduction-trump.html

Remove Ads