Author Topic: Cleveland: Downtown: Gateway District: Development and News  (Read 189847 times)

Offline jjames0408

• 947'-Key Tower
Re: Cleveland: Gateway District Developments
« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2012, 04:30:55 PM »
There seems to be some action going on in the Fifth Street Arcades. The Euclid space, east of Colossal Cupcakes is a pop-up shop called Collective Upcycle. It is up and ready to go, but the photo I took was super blurry...here's their sign.

IMG_2849 by jjames0408, on Flickr

There were a few places I'd not seen before such as this one:

IMG_2850 by jjames0408, on Flickr
with many other spaces covered in the black paper.

Across from Progressive Field, we are getting a better taste of the design of the sidewalks...

IMG_2854 by jjames0408, on Flickr

Progress on the Tri C administrative parking garage:

IMG_2851 by jjames0408, on Flickr

I just saw new signage for Goodfellers this week:

IMG_2855 by jjames0408, on Flickr

Offline Zimzolla

• 367'-PNC Bank
« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2012, 08:53:08 PM »
^ You noticed our new City Beautiful space I see. We just got done painting it last week.

City Beautiful is the organization that will be evolving out of Save Lower Prospect Avenue from the Columbia building fiasco. Dick Pace is lending space to non-profits to bring interest to the arcades until he can find real leases for the spaces, and we were able to secure a space, and will be holding our meetings and doing planning work in there.

Our organization worked on the Wolfe Music building after the Columbia (where although we lost the building, we did get some concessions thanks to councilman Johnson) and now we are working on a Slavic village project.

Offline jjames0408

• 947'-Key Tower
« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2012, 10:10:07 PM »
Haha...I was intrigued by the chopped up map!

Offline Punch

• UO Supporting Moderator
« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2012, 10:26:25 PM »
Good Luck Zimzolla! 
Originally Punch, then CleveChiNola, now back to Punch.

Offline McLovin

• 1450'-Willis Tower
« Reply #39 on: November 28, 2012, 10:38:44 AM »
I always thought the Gateway District was odd as it is vastly undeveloped which you see when you are coming off the freeway and is a surprise because of what is around there....

Offline BuckeyeVille

• New User
« Reply #40 on: December 21, 2012, 07:17:36 AM »
I have heard the a restaurant will be replacing the Nexus Cafe, although I forgot what the name will be.

Offline jjames0408

• 947'-Key Tower
« Reply #41 on: December 21, 2012, 08:09:04 AM »
It's something like Soul Central. I'll check when I go outside later.

Offline pgn711

• 367'-PNC Bank
« Reply #42 on: December 21, 2012, 09:06:31 AM »
I have heard the a restaurant will be replacing the Nexus Cafe, although I forgot what the name will be.

I'll save you the trip. It's going to be called Stonetown. I believe there was an article posted in another thread. It's going to be Soul Food. And they aren't using the back space. It's being leased to someone else.

Online PoshSteve

• 629'-Rhodes State Tower
« Reply #43 on: December 23, 2012, 07:51:45 AM »
So i was walking down Huron from the Q last night, and they had the sidewalkin front of the old ATT building covered and looked like they were doing work on it. Anyone here know whats going on there?

Offline pgn711

• 367'-PNC Bank
« Reply #44 on: December 27, 2012, 08:10:24 AM »
So i was walking down Huron from the Q last night, and they had the sidewalkin front of the old ATT building covered and looked like they were doing work on it. Anyone here know whats going on there?

That's the view outside my window every day. Some of the scaffolding has been up for a couple months now, but they recently added more. The only work I've noticed is from Coon Reconstruction. They've been scaling different sides of the building doing some type of concrete/mortar work. My guess is just checking for cracks and sealing. The scaffolding is probably for protection from falling debris.

Offline sky

• 468'-Scripps Center
« Reply #45 on: December 27, 2012, 08:59:54 AM »
The Daily Planet is located there!

Offline jjames0408

• 947'-Key Tower
« Reply #46 on: January 09, 2013, 04:36:02 PM »
Colossal Cupcakes will either be getting signage or an art piece by Feb 1st. Per Facebook: "A six foot 3D cupcake would look pretty cool on Euclid...don't you agree?" and then in the comments: "By February 1, Cleveland will own the worlds largest cupcake!"

Also...Chocolate 76 will be opening up shop on January 21, where they will be selling the city their handmade chocolate in the 5th Street Arcades.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 04:39:37 PM by jjames0408 »

Online PoshSteve

« Reply #47 on: January 09, 2013, 05:01:08 PM »
hmmm... Colossal Cupcake and the Chocolate Bar on Euclid, and now Chocolate 76 in the Arcade. Is this the start of the Cleveland Sugar District??  :-P

Online Mendo

• 771'-Terminal Tower
« Reply #48 on: January 09, 2013, 07:00:16 PM »
The Diabetes District has a certain ring to it. I'll definitely stop by to check out the chocolates.

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #49 on: January 09, 2013, 08:05:45 PM »
Diabetes District. Trademark that, please.
"Courage is the first of human qualities because it is the quality which guarantees all others." – Winston Churchill

Offline jjames0408

• 947'-Key Tower
« Reply #50 on: January 09, 2013, 09:05:38 PM »
And don't forget the soul food that just opened as well haha!

Offline tedders55

• 771'-Terminal Tower
« Reply #51 on: January 10, 2013, 08:08:30 AM »
Good thing there is a direct connection to the Clinic, could be getting a lot of use after people OD on chocolate.

Offline gotribe

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #52 on: January 10, 2013, 08:18:22 AM »
Yep, the Diabetes District along the Healthline...I Like it!

Offline BelievelandD1

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #53 on: January 10, 2013, 08:24:45 AM »
Diabetes District. Trademark that, please.

+1.  Thats a no brainer. 

Online PoshSteve

« Reply #54 on: January 10, 2013, 04:23:20 PM »
Ha! Diabetes district. I love it. Much more unique than "gateway". Now we can court Paula Dean into opening a restautant

Offline jjames0408

• 947'-Key Tower
« Reply #55 on: January 10, 2013, 04:37:04 PM »
Eww...please no! Keep that stuff down in Savannah!

Offline MyTwoSense

• 40+ and Fly
  • 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • back with a vengeance!
« Reply #56 on: January 12, 2013, 10:44:51 AM »
Eww...please no! Keep that stuff down in Savannah!

How can you say that without even seeing the venues?  Without seeing them, they are unique to the area and something that residents and visitor to the are would patronize, not to mention daytime office workers.
my 2 ˘     Please Sell Crazy Someplace Else....We Have Excess Inventory Here!!

Offline jjames0408

• 947'-Key Tower
« Reply #57 on: January 12, 2013, 11:14:37 AM »
It was a joke MTS. I've been to her restaurant in Savannah. It was nothing special. There are very few places I would legitimately say keep out of the area.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 11:58:05 AM by jjames0408 »

Online mrclifton88

• Premium Member
« Reply #58 on: January 15, 2013, 08:40:42 AM »
From the Agenda... a new Sherwin Williams Banner!  I like the current one too but we need come color.  I like it!
Even has the MedMart in it.... and conveniently no name on the Browns Stadium  :roll:
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 09:11:20 AM by mrclifton88 »

Offline TPH2

• 1450'-Willis Tower
    • Twitter
« Reply #59 on: January 15, 2013, 08:42:06 AM »
From the Agenda... a new SW Banner!  I like the current one too but we need come color.  I like it!

SW?
The quality of life in cities has much to do with systems of transport...Many cars, used by one or more people, circulate in cities, causing traffic congestion, raising the level of pollution, and consuming enormous quantities of non-renewable energy. -Pope Francis

Online mrclifton88

• Premium Member
« Reply #60 on: January 15, 2013, 09:11:56 AM »
Sorry!  See above.  I fixed it

Offline TPH2

• 1450'-Willis Tower
    • Twitter
« Reply #61 on: January 15, 2013, 09:18:19 AM »
Ohhh, duh. I'm awful at recognizing acronyms. I like that a lot.
The quality of life in cities has much to do with systems of transport...Many cars, used by one or more people, circulate in cities, causing traffic congestion, raising the level of pollution, and consuming enormous quantities of non-renewable energy. -Pope Francis

Online Mendo

• 771'-Terminal Tower
« Reply #62 on: January 15, 2013, 11:35:26 AM »
Someone should photoshop a Sherwin Williams skyscraper somewhere in that  banner and email it back to them. Maybe they'll get the hint.

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #63 on: January 15, 2013, 11:48:39 AM »
Someone should photoshop a Sherwin Williams skyscraper somewhere in that  banner and email it back to them. Maybe they'll get the hint.

Just be sure to put it on Public Square!
"Courage is the first of human qualities because it is the quality which guarantees all others." – Winston Churchill

Online musky

• SPRAWL KILLS !!!
  • 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Where there is no vision, the people perish.
    • Cleveland vs. The World
« Reply #64 on: January 15, 2013, 02:13:15 PM »
I like it.
My only critique: why are the lights of Progressive field were so dominating in the image - why not add the wind spiral thing instead?

Online Mendo

• 771'-Terminal Tower
« Reply #65 on: January 15, 2013, 06:11:03 PM »
I like it.
My only critique: why are the lights of Progressive field were so dominating in the image - why not add the wind spiral thing instead?
The turbine is supposedly only temporary. Probably a good idea to leave it off the banner if it won't be there in a year or two.

http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ssf/2012/09/cleveland_state_university_win.html

The turbine is expected to generate about 40,000 kilowatt-hours per year, roughly the amount of energy needed to power four homes, Indians officials said. The ballpark uses about 17 million kilowatt-hours a year.

Rashidi plans to test the turbine for a year.

He said he has spoken with a company interested in replicating his turbine on a much smaller scale – a six-foot spiral and 18-inch turbines. It would be mounted on top of telecommunications towers like a weathervane, removing the need for electrical components.

Offline jborger

• examiner.com, twitter, blog
  • 665'-Queen City Square
  • Now living in Detroit Shoreway
    • Jeremy Borger from Cleveland, Ohio
« Reply #66 on: January 16, 2013, 11:53:57 AM »

The lights are fairly iconic and unique when it comes to ballparks.

Offline pgn711

• 367'-PNC Bank
« Reply #67 on: January 19, 2013, 09:23:41 AM »
From the Agenda... a new Sherwin Williams Banner!  I like the current one too but we need come color.  I like it!
Even has the MedMart in it.... and conveniently no name on the Browns Stadium  :roll:

I believe some friends over at The Adcom Group designed it.

Offline MuRrAy HiLL

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #68 on: January 29, 2013, 10:17:28 AM »
Momentum.

Charter One Small Business Grant Program at 5th Street Arcades 

Small business entrepreneurs have an opportunity to secure grants to help their companies grow or launch in downtown Cleveland through the Downtown Cleveland Alliance 5th Street Arcades Retail Development Grant Competition in the Gateway neighborhood. The competition is a program of the Charter One Growing Communities initiative, a project aimed at boosting economic and neighborhood development.

The competition will award winning small businesses with grants ranging from $1,500 to $20,000 to assist in opening or expanding a business in the historic 5th Street Arcades,  which is located between Euclid and Prospect Avenues in the Gateway neighborhood of downtown Cleveland.  The 5th Street Arcades are now home to 30 retailers after experiencing significant growth with the addition of 10 new businesses in the past 6 months. Available spaces in the 5th Street Arcades range from 200 square feet to more than 1,000 square feet.   

Grant winners may utilize funds for the payment of rent at 5th Street Arcades for up to one year, to purchase equipment necessary for business operation or for interior build out.

http://www.downtowncleveland.com/business/charter-one-small-business-grant-program.aspx
“Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood. " -- Daniel Burnham

Offline MuRrAy HiLL

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #69 on: February 03, 2013, 02:26:15 AM »
Colossal Cupcakes will either be getting signage or an art piece by Feb 1st. Per Facebook: "A six foot 3D cupcake would look pretty cool on Euclid...don't you agree?" and then in the comments: "By February 1, Cleveland will own the worlds largest cupcake!"

Also...Chocolate 76 will be opening up shop on January 21, where they will be selling the city their handmade chocolate in the 5th Street Arcades.

Colossal Cupcakes' new signage!  WHOA

6-foot tall cupcake sign tops Colossal Cupcakes store in downtown Cleveland

By: Mike Waterhouse, newsnet5.com

CLEVELAND - After Friday’s massive storefront addition, it’s going to be hard to miss a downtown Cleveland cupcake store.

Colossal Cupcakes, located on Euclid Avenue near East 6th Street, added a 6-foot tall cupcake as a part of the company’s signage.

Read more: http://www.newsnet5.com/dpp/news/local_news/cleveland_metro/6-foot-tall-cupcake-sign-tops-colossal-cupcakes-store-in-downtown-cleveland#ixzz2Jp44cMXw
“Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood. " -- Daniel Burnham

Remove Ads