Author Topic: Cincinnati: University of Cincinnati: Development and News  (Read 150526 times)

Offline jmecklenborg

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
Re: Cincinnati: University of Cincinnati: Development and News
« Reply #700 on: April 10, 2017, 06:45:31 PM »
The campus is going-on 200 years old and there are hardly any big trees.  Fail. 

OU -- the state's most remote major university -- is actually its most urban and walkable.  And tons of big trees.   

Offline jmicha

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #701 on: April 10, 2017, 06:48:20 PM »
...those big trees are by the parts that are most similar to how they were originally. Of course there aren't going to be big trees yet in places like Campus Green, it was a parking lot 30 years ago. Give it time.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 08:29:37 PM by jmicha »

Online BigDipper 80

• 574'-Carew Tower
« Reply #702 on: April 10, 2017, 08:57:50 PM »
I actually really like the corridor between ERC and Rhodes. It feels very industrial and really appropriate for engineering. It's also very canyonesque which I like.

That's fair, I definitely do appreciate the narrowness of it, but having spent so much time in Rhodes I may just be very biased against that building!  :laugh:

Offline jmicha

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #703 on: April 10, 2017, 09:19:04 PM »
Haha I can imagine. Rhodes didn't come out of an era of buildings that were pleasant to be in.

Online BigDipper 80

• 574'-Carew Tower
« Reply #704 on: April 10, 2017, 09:20:59 PM »
The renovation of the top floor of Rhodes was excellent, I do have to give the college credit for that. Hopefully they just do the rest of the building to match the quality of the upstairs room or even the refreshed lobby...
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 09:21:13 PM by BigDipper 80 »

Offline Rabbit Hash

• 947'-Key Tower
« Reply #705 on: April 10, 2017, 09:39:27 PM »
I like campus for all the reasons you pros can enunciate better than I can. But the new Linder? When I see the renderings, I think it would look at home in 1971 Queensgate.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 09:40:11 PM by Rabbit Hash »

Offline PhilaDayphiaMan

• Administrator
  • ♪♪ An Apollo Legend! ♪♪
« Reply #706 on: May 16, 2017, 04:09:55 PM »
UC breaks ground on $120M business school, unveils new renderings

The University of Cincinnati officially broke ground on its new $120 million Carl H. Lindner College of Business this week.

A ceremonial groundbreaking for the building was held on Monday morning.

More below:
http://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2017/05/16/uc-breaks-ground-on-120m-business-school-unveils.html
I love it when people come into a message board and immediately begin to mix it up.  I mean, Jesus, at least say hello!  Do you walk into a room full of strangers, pick a random woman, and tell her she's fat? - buildingcincinnati

Offline PhilaDayphiaMan

• Administrator
« Reply #707 on: May 18, 2017, 03:04:27 PM »
UC envisions Innovation Hub as 'front door to the community'

UC's 1819 Innovation Hub will serve as a research accelerator as well as a command post for a better way of interacting with the community, said Pat Limbach, vice president for research and interim president and CEO of the University of Cincinnati Research Institute, which will be housed in the hub.

More below:
http://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2017/05/18/uc-envisions-innovation-hub-as-front-door-to-the.html
I love it when people come into a message board and immediately begin to mix it up.  I mean, Jesus, at least say hello!  Do you walk into a room full of strangers, pick a random woman, and tell her she's fat? - buildingcincinnati

Online MGM

• 367'-PNC Bank
« Reply #708 on: May 22, 2017, 01:20:23 PM »
...those big trees are by the parts that are most similar to how they were originally. Of course there aren't going to be big trees yet in places like Campus Green, it was a parking lot 30 years ago. Give it time.
And there are plenty of big trees across the street in Burnett Woods lol. I like UC's campus a lot.

Offline PhilaDayphiaMan

• Administrator
« Reply #709 on: May 23, 2017, 03:05:32 PM »
UC Health begins construction of $60M neuroscience institute, provides first look inside

UC Health began construction today on a headquarters for the University of Cincinnati Gardner Neuroscience Institute, a $60.5 million outpatient center in Corryville that will treat people with neurologic and psychiatric diseases.

More below:
http://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2017/05/23/uc-health-begins-construction-of-60m-neuroscience.html

Offline jwulsin

• 1450'-Willis Tower
« Reply #710 on: May 23, 2017, 04:30:41 PM »
^Here's the YouTube video that the UC Foundation posted:
&feature=youtu.be

I really dislike how the building seems to float above the street. At no point does it properly connect to the sidewalk. It seems like the only pedestrian access is up a small sidewalk next to the driveway entrance from Bellevue Ave. Along MLK, Eden, and Piedmont, the building doesn't even try to meet the street.

Offline taestell

• Global Moderator
  • Obtaining Glory on UrbanOhio since 2008.ô
    • UrbanCincy
« Reply #711 on: May 23, 2017, 04:36:37 PM »
For as good of a job as UC did with West Campus, they can't figure out how to make East Campus into a pedestrian friendly place.
Check out my photography on Flickr or Instagram | Twitter: @urbancincy & @taestell | The UrbanCincy Podcast (iTunes)

Offline jwulsin

• 1450'-Willis Tower
« Reply #712 on: May 23, 2017, 04:48:03 PM »
For as good of a job as UC did with West Campus, they can't figure out how to make East Campus into a pedestrian friendly place.
Yeah... and if you're walking to this new building from the west (Vontz Center), there will be no pedestrian entrance on the west side, so you'll have to walk all the way up to Bellevue Ave, then do a u-turn on the driveway and walk back half a block. Not cool!

Offline PhilaDayphiaMan

• Administrator
« Reply #713 on: July 12, 2017, 11:53:00 PM »
Get a first look at UCís $87M renovation of Fifth Third Arena

Fifth Third Arena doesnít look much like the home of University of Cincinnati basketball right now. But thatís a good thing.

UC is in the midst of an $87 million renovation project thatís overhauling the 28-year-old arena. And even though itís mostly an enormous hole inside the arenaís surrounding structure right now, things are progressing on schedule. Thatís the word from Bryan Ramsey, project manager for the Skanska USA-Megen Construction team handling the project. Ramsey led a group of media members through the construction site Wednesday.

More below:
https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2017/07/12/get-a-first-look-at-uc-s-87m-renovation-of-fifth.html

Offline jwulsin

• 1450'-Willis Tower
« Reply #714 on: July 13, 2017, 01:35:33 PM »
Amazing to see what Sigma Sigma Commons used to look like:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BWfjBz1nvM7/

Offline Brutus_buckeye

• 947'-Key Tower
« Reply #715 on: July 13, 2017, 01:40:20 PM »
It is amazing how ugly that campus used to be compared to how nice it is now.

Offline American Luxury

• 367'-PNC Bank
« Reply #716 on: July 13, 2017, 01:53:09 PM »
And of course all people can do is complain about is how they got rid of it.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 04:39:18 PM by American Luxury »

Online GCrites80s

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Running Free
« Reply #717 on: July 13, 2017, 02:00:55 PM »
Those people can go to the branch campuses.

Offline jmecklenborg

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #718 on: July 13, 2017, 02:45:32 PM »
College students assume that the university is getting rich off of parking passes and tickets.  Those $30 million parking garages have to pay for themselves somehow. 

Online SleepyLeroy

• 468'-Scripps Center
« Reply #719 on: July 17, 2017, 12:04:25 PM »
Just found this drone footage of the Sears Building demo from a while back. Compare the size of the street between the gas station and the site here, to the drone pic travis took in in the MLK exit form. Way bigger now, and probably the reason that later addition to the building was demolished and not renovated like the rest.

Remove Ads