Author Topic: Lakewood: Development and News  (Read 168727 times)

Offline Redbeard1969

• 279'-First Energy Center
Re: Lakewood: Development and News
« Reply #70 on: April 25, 2006, 11:49:15 AM »
And finally, from The Lakewood Observer (okay, I'm excited about this project, since I live just a few streets away ... this is SUCH an improvement over the car lot that was there ... add this to the new YMCA building, and our neighborhood's gettin' kinda classy!):

Rosewood Place Groundbreaking
by Stan Austin

Groundbreaking For Rosewood Place
By Stan Austin---Lakewood Observer Reporter

It seems like Lakewood is becoming ground zero for new construction in Northeast Ohio. The rain held up and the sun came out on Friday morning as Mayor Thomas George, Council President Robert Seelie, and developer Thomas Barrett performed the ceremonial groundbreaking for Rosewood Place at the corner of Rosewood and Detroit Avenues.

This project will be a combination of retail and residential units and will turn a vacant used car lot into a sophisticated urban living experience.

Barrett of North Coast Capital Partners described a setting where one could dine nearby, go for a workout at a brand new YMCA, select a book from a newly expanded Lakewood Public Library or just sit on a balcony and enjoy the view. He called it the convenience of an urban setting with the comfort of a suburb.

Mayor George gave some significant statistics. The property is currently valued at $266,700 and will have a projected value of $3,000,025. Seven per cent of the project will be financed with public funds and there will be a 100% tax abatement for two years declining to 50% for years three to five.

George emphasized that the financial risk to the city is minimal. “This represents a change of philosophy from the past” George said. The attitude that “we are so desperate that we have to give anything” has changed where we will now do new projects and minimize the city’s risk.

The D-A-S Construction Company will have the basic building completed in 51/2 months. Visit www.rosewoodplace.com for a view of the building and its units.

Underneath this flabby exterior is an enormous lack of character -- Oscar Levant

Offline X

• Global Moderator
« Reply #71 on: April 25, 2006, 03:49:40 PM »
"It seems like Lakewood is becoming ground zero for new construction in Northeast Ohio."

Umm...OK.  Gotta love the joy of severely limited horizons!

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #72 on: April 25, 2006, 05:08:40 PM »
That's why we "love" the Lakewood Observer at our office! Always such a unique perspective on things....

BTW, the developer of this project called our Lakewood reporter more than a half-dozen times since late last week, asking if she needed anything, wanting to write the lead for her story, sending her numerous pictures, telling her that the article "MUST" go on the front page of the paper, and etc. and so on ad nauseum!

Um, dude, dial it down, OK? It's a nice project, but it's not the crem de la crem of developments. By the end of the week we will have forgotten all about it for yet another "This Week's Development of the Century."
« Last Edit: April 25, 2006, 05:10:21 PM by KJP »
"George Washington could never tell a lie.
Richard Nixon could never tell the truth.
Donald Trump cannot tell the difference."

-- Mark Shields,  News Hour

Offline Vulpster03

• 574'-Carew Tower
« Reply #73 on: April 25, 2006, 05:50:42 PM »
lol. Yeah, this project is nice, but I wouldn't put it in the exciting category.

Offline X

• Global Moderator
« Reply #74 on: April 25, 2006, 08:22:20 PM »
I like it.  I think it is the right kind of project for Lakewood (as opposed to an isolated lifestyle center like the West End was going to be).  I just thought the "ground zero of new construction in NEO" was funny as hell.

Offline Redbeard1969

« Reply #75 on: April 26, 2006, 01:46:42 PM »
well, it's at least more exciting than the construction of the new parking lot at Donato's Pizza.
Underneath this flabby exterior is an enormous lack of character -- Oscar Levant

Offline WoollyBear

• I'm a Witness
  • 468'-Scripps Center
  • Born: Cleveland, Ohio
« Reply #76 on: April 27, 2006, 08:17:38 AM »
Hey at least the paper is being positive. :clap:

Offline MorningTheft

• 468'-Scripps Center
  • In my day we didn't need a cell phone to get some.
« Reply #77 on: April 27, 2006, 01:14:10 PM »
well, it's at least more exciting than the construction of the new parking lot at Donato's Pizza.

Is that what is going in where that old Auto body shop was?

Offline 3231

• Global Moderator
« Reply #78 on: April 27, 2006, 01:43:46 PM »
Its been a Donato's for years.  Lakewood and Cleveland Hts have some of the best gas station architecture in the country. 

Offline MorningTheft

• 468'-Scripps Center
  • In my day we didn't need a cell phone to get some.
« Reply #79 on: April 28, 2006, 11:47:20 AM »
Its been a Donato's for years.  Lakewood and Cleveland Hts have some of the best gas station architecture in the country. 

No, the Donoto's is in that Chalet looking building on the corner of Detroit and W. Clifton.  Right next door to that was an old autobody shop that was recently torn down and now has a construction fence around it.  Are they actually building a structure there or is it just going to be a parking lot?  I'd be surprised if Donoto's wanted to build more parking...their current lot is never full.

Offline lakewoodranger

• 0'-Surface Lot
« Reply #80 on: May 03, 2006, 11:29:31 PM »
That's exactly what Donato's is doing, and adding a drive thru or something to 'better serve its loyal customers.'
TRIBE BROWNS CAVS

Offline smackem81

• 468'-Scripps Center
  • Lost in cul-de-sac
« Reply #81 on: May 03, 2006, 11:35:27 PM »
Oh man drive through pizza. Drive through subway and taco bell is messy enough

Offline 3231

• Global Moderator
« Reply #82 on: May 05, 2006, 05:48:44 PM »
Rockport Square continues to scare us with their interior design:

Offline blinker12

• 771'-Terminal Tower
« Reply #83 on: May 05, 2006, 05:51:11 PM »
 :-o
That is jaw-droppingly ugly!

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #84 on: May 05, 2006, 11:14:07 PM »
Nothing that a few dozen trips to Home Depot couldn't fix!

Offline mrnyc

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
    • friends of the highline
« Reply #85 on: May 05, 2006, 11:49:29 PM »
what the?

overheard at the developr's office:

"let aunt shirley do it, she has an eye for decorating."
"That whole rural thing. It's a joke." Ed Koch

Offline jrosen

• 367'-PNC Bank
« Reply #86 on: May 06, 2006, 06:16:52 AM »
ha, i actually have been inside this model recently.  I liked the overall feel of the townhome although the decorating was a bit much.   

Offline WoollyBear

• I'm a Witness
  • 468'-Scripps Center
  • Born: Cleveland, Ohio
« Reply #87 on: May 06, 2006, 11:07:04 AM »
That condo looks like it belongs on a golf course in Florida.

Offline 3231

• Global Moderator
« Reply #88 on: May 06, 2006, 11:29:51 AM »
^I think that they are trying to capture a different market.  If you are a young professional, would you pay $300,000 for a new townhome in Lakewood or Ohio City/Tremont/Larchmere?  My guess is that Rockport is more acutely focusing on the boomers than some of the other projects.

Offline jrosen

• 367'-PNC Bank
« Reply #89 on: May 06, 2006, 03:09:04 PM »
That's what I thought when I was inside the model - this is nice if you are a boomer, want some pretense of urban living and don't want to send your kids to a bad public school system

Offline 3231

• Global Moderator
« Reply #90 on: May 15, 2006, 08:42:02 AM »
Lakewood is gaining some momentum..

River valley’s Lakewood side set for upscale twist

By STAN BULLARD

6:00 am, May 15, 2006

A planned $20 million residential development promises to remake part of the Lakewood side of the Rocky River valley as a step-like series of terraced townhouses and lofts climbing the slope from the riverfront to Sloane Avenue.

The novel design resembles gymnasium benches hugging the 90-foot slope. It would enable each buyer of the planned $275,000 lofts to $1 million penthouses to have a terrace with open sky above them, said Rick Foran, a member of Foran Montlack Development LLC, which is proposing the project.

The units would provide views of the river, the Rocky River Yacht Club and Lake Erie. The 46-unit project would rise from the riverbank at the former Krumreig’s Marina, which the developers bought last December.

Plans also call for replacing the landmark marina with for-sale boat slips the developers dub “dock-o-miniums.”

Lakewood Mayor Thomas George likes what he sees in the plans.

“We couldn’t be more excited about this project,” he said.

Atop the valley at Sloane Avenue, the planned project is on the opposite side of the Detroit Road Bridge from the proposed West End mixed-use redevelopment project, which never got off the group. A contentious effort to declare a residential neighborhood blighted so that an eminent domain action could be pursued for the West End project drew national media attention before it failed at the ballot box in 2003 and cost Mayor George’s predecessor, Madeline Cain, her job.

Forget eminent domain

Mayor George noted the proposed “Cliffs on Rocky River” project would not require eminent domain, a blight declaration or tax abatement. Proposed municipal assistance consists of a $1.75 million tax-increment financing agreement, under which less than 10% of the proposed development’s annual tax proceeds would be used to repay the bonds.

The tax-backed bonds would pay for improvements to the slope, as well as sewers and waterlines for the project, Mr. Foran said.

The developer will begin seeking Lakewood Planning Commission and Lakewood City Council approvals next month for the project. The proposed site is zoned appropriately and requires no variances, said Tom Jordan, Lakewood planning and development director.

Lakewood needs the Cliffs project, Mayor George said, because the suburb that arose in the trolley-car era loses to land-rich outlying suburbs those longtime residents who want to buy newly constructed homes or downsize to condominiums.

The proposed project would join two other new residential developments in Lakewood, part of what the mayor estimates is a $250 million round of private, school and civic investment in the suburb.

The developer of the project is a team comprising the Montlack Group, a real estate development and investment group in Cleveland Heights that is led by Michael Montlack; the Foran Group, a Rocky River development concern led by Mr. Foran and his son Patrick; and developer George Zamecnik of Brooklyn Heights.

Mr. Montlack’s background is in condo and shopping center construction and apartment ownership, while Mr. Zamecnik worked in industrial and apartment development with the late Julius Paris. Foran Group will serve as the contractor; it will draw on Patrick Foran’s background as a part of the team at Robert L. Stark Enterprises of Beachwood, which developed the Crocker Park mixed-use project in Westlake.

The elder Mr. Foran has been a consultant for the last three years with pioneering urban homebuilder Heartland Developers of Shaker Heights. His work at Heartland followed 20 years in real estate development and construction with various companies here.

Inspiration from Florida

To prepare for the Lakewood project, Mr. Montlack, his wife, Carol, and architect Michael Caito of City Architecture toured lake and riverfront developments throughout southern Florida.

Mrs. Montlack said the project would benefit from walking-distance proximity to the adjoining Rocky River Reservation of Cleveland Metroparks and restaurants in western Lakewood and downtown Rocky River.

The younger Mr. Foran said the developer is negotiating with banks for a construction loan. Plans call for construction to begin this summer and for a model to be ready next May.

The project is proposed amidst a worsening residential real estate market as interest rates rise. However, Ali McAdams, managing broker of Lake Realty in Rocky River, said marketability should not pose a problem.

“It’ll fly,” Ms. McAdams said. “There are people with money waiting for good stuff to buy on the river and lake. The market is still good for that.”

Moreover, there is no new lakefront residential construction of scale between the Flats and Vermilion, Mr. Montlack notes.

“It’s one of a kind,” he said.

Offline 3231

• Global Moderator
« Reply #91 on: May 15, 2006, 08:43:06 AM »
here is an image of the new development

Offline Redbeard1969

« Reply #92 on: May 15, 2006, 09:39:01 AM »
The description "gymnasium benches" is extremely appropriate when viewing the photograph.  Still, as ugly and uninspired as it is (it does kind of look like something out of "Star Wars" or "Star Trek"), it will spruce up the Sloane Avenue area, which needs a bit of sprucing up.  And if there's some collateral development ... new restaurants or shops, so much the better for the tax base and property values.  Especially since I live a few blocks away, woo-hoo!

Offline MayDay

• Administrator
  • The HBIC from the CLE
    • Cleveland Skyscrapers
« Reply #93 on: May 15, 2006, 10:07:18 AM »
I like the Cliffs project - I've always felt that Lakewood needed to have more upscale residential along the Rocky River.

"Rockport Square continues to scare us with their interior design"

Dear god, my retinas have been permanently scarred!

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #94 on: May 15, 2006, 10:43:49 AM »
How about some greenspace to break up that cliff development? That thing is pretty overbearing, IMHO.

Offline smackem81

• 468'-Scripps Center
  • Lost in cul-de-sac
« Reply #95 on: May 15, 2006, 03:43:26 PM »
I like it, greener would be nicer, but its all balconys on that side. It will get as green as the condo owners want it to be

Offline MyTwoSense

• 40+ and Fly
  • 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • back with a vengeance!
« Reply #96 on: May 15, 2006, 09:04:00 PM »
I think the development is very impressive.  It's cool in my opinion, even though i tend to like pre-war buildings.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2006, 12:18:00 PM by MyTwoSense »
my 2 ¢     Please Sell Crazy Someplace Else....We Have Excess Inventory Here!!

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #97 on: May 15, 2006, 09:48:45 PM »
Here's a slightly larger image....

I'd like to see how they're going to get cars down to the river level. I'd also like to know why they want to. The site plan shows a parking garage and a 40-space surface parking lot of the same footprint as the garage, above it and at ground level flush with the top of the hill. I'll see if I can get that and post it.

Offline Map Boy

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #98 on: May 16, 2006, 12:06:21 PM »
Wow, that's quite impressive and fetching (in my opinion).  I agree that my first response to the cars was "why would they want cars there?"  How about terraces, public space (hello, there's over $1 million in public financing here), or a restaurant/cafe tenant?  Think big, folks!

On a side note, if they can do this here and make it work financially, what's to stop Cleveland from building on its riverfront hillside???

Offline smackem81

• 468'-Scripps Center
  • Lost in cul-de-sac
« Reply #99 on: May 16, 2006, 12:35:19 PM »
Well we know cleveland metropolitan housing authority owns the the best hillside in ohio city. I really feel that they should sell it off, they know they cant develop it, to a person that isnt going to mise on it. The second best hills is owned by Forest City on duck island,  I think whomever is in charge of irish bend townhouses owns some of it too, that whole area is controled by alot of people north of loain carnegie bridge. Most of the river really has no hills along it, whatever hills that were along most of the river has been flattened out by all the industry that used to be there.

Offline Vulpster03

• 574'-Carew Tower
« Reply #100 on: May 16, 2006, 12:37:36 PM »
I think these units are going to sell like crazy. The location is great, and the views are probably incredible. It would have been nice though if they could have incorporated some more landscaping along the terraces. To me part of the attraction of the cliffs along the river is all the green.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2006, 12:40:40 PM by Vulpster03 »

Offline Redbeard1969

« Reply #101 on: May 17, 2006, 02:26:47 PM »
In the Lakewood Observer, there's several drawings, and they do show that off Sloane, there will be a parking lot; probably not a lot of visible building, other than the top-most layer of townhouses.  Interestingly enough, it looks like the bulk of the buildings will actually be below the rather ugly high-rise apartment building that overlooks the valley.  So while this will be a nice development for those who live in it, and will look interesting from the other side of the river, I don't think it's going to beautify Sloane Avenue that much.  I'm hopeful for collateral development to grow from this, but seeing as a new Dollar General ultra-discount store just opened up on Sloane, it probably won't happen anytime soon.  Or soon enough!

Still, I'm glad to see some more development.  If this gets accomplished, add it to Rockport, Rosewood, the new Library, the new YMCA, the new Sherwin-Williams and Walgreen's stores, and the renovation and rebuilding of the schools.  That's a LOT of development going on in essentially a pretty small suburb!

Offline buildingcincinnati

• aka grasscat
  • 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Building Cincinnati isn't a job, it's a lifestyle
    • Building Cincinnati
« Reply #102 on: May 27, 2006, 05:28:49 PM »
From the 5/18/06 Lakewood Sun Post:

Final touches placed on park improvements
Thursday, May 18, 2006
By Lisa Novatny
Lakewood Sun Post

Lakewood's lakefront is getting a new look.

With only a week away from its unveiling, the finishing touches are being put on the new all-purpose trail, a handicap accessible ramp and waterside promenade.

The Lakewood Park project, which began construction in August of 2005, has been in the works for more than four years.

http://www.cleveland.com/sun/lakewoodsunpost/index.ssf?/base/news-0/114797076434560.xml&coll=3
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 09:16:18 AM by Grumpy »
THE ColDayMan's sig solidifies my status as a UO Hall of Famer.

Offline buildingcincinnati

• aka grasscat
  • 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Building Cincinnati isn't a job, it's a lifestyle
    • Building Cincinnati
« Reply #103 on: June 09, 2006, 06:34:52 PM »
From the 6/8/06 Lakewood Sun Post:

Air cleared on Rockport
Thursday, June 08, 2006
By Lisa Novatny
Lakewood Sun Post

What started off on a rocky note ended on a more positive one at a neighborhood meeting to discuss the progress of Rockport Square.

The meeting Monday at Rockport Square's Hopkins Avenue location allowed Lakewood residents the chance to voice concerns about the progress of the project.

I left the meeting last night in some ways feeling better but in some ways more disheartened, said Lyz Bly, a Fry Avenue homeowner.

According to several Fry Avenue residents who were in attendance, some of their concerns were addressed and put at ease, while many still feel as though they are left in the dark about future plans for the Rockport Square project.

The meeting was hosted by Rysar Property's owner Ken Lurie and Forest City's project manager Eli Miller. About 20 individuals turned out for the open forum.

Those in attendance discussed their concerns, including the failure to maintain Rysar's property, the recent arson committed in three vacant homes along Fry Avenue, the stability of future Rockport plans, the lack of communication between area homeowners, the developer and the city and the rumors that Rysar may be handing the project over to another company.

One break-through made at the meeting was the proposal and acceptance of the neighbors' proposition to use the land created by the demolition of the three vacant homes as green space for neighborhood children to use.

We wanted a place for the kids to play and we will make every effort for Rysar to go through with it, said Bly.

Miller addressed residents, explaining that street sweepers had been working with Rysar to keep the neighborhood clean and will continue to do so.

While the residents got the response they wanted in terms of the vacant lots, many still felt as though they do not have a sense of what is going on the north side of Detroit Avenue.

What is happening with the north side of Detroit? When do we get to see the plans of the future phases? Bly asked.

According to Lurie, the neighborhood got a little restless because they did not see any new construction taking place recently.

This isn't a project that will be finished overnight, said Lurie. It's a phase project.

Tom Jordan, city director of planning and development, said that after the arson in April, the city granted a demolition permit for the vacant homes, despite the fact that the site has not been incorporated into the development project.

Demolition of the three vacant homes along Fry Avenue was set to begin Wednesday.

According to Kelly Standish of Rysar, We have been working with the building department to get the necessary signatures to demolish the houses and we have applied to the EPA for demolition approval. We will begin tapping the sewers ... and demolition will occur shortly after.

In two weeks, a Cleveland Clinic facility will also break ground on the old Doc Heben location, which is part of Rysar's property. According the Lurie, Rysar bought the land for $300,000 and it was sold to the Clinic to house a medical building.

Rysar and Forest City are also getting ready to begin construction on four more housing units.

Lastly, Lurie and Jordan addressed the rumor that Rysar may be leaving the Rockport Square project.

There is a development plan and timeline and we will stick to it, said Lurie. We will be there as long as we're supposed to be.

Jordan backed up this statement saying, We're under an agreement signed by Rysar, Forest City and the city of Lakewood. There have been no proposed changes to the development agreement or the partnership agreement with the city.

Over the next several months, Lurie and Miller have agreed to work on keeping the communication flowing with neighborhood residents, whether it be on Rysar's Web site or through newspaper updates.

There is a lot of behind the scenes working going on. We've been working very hard, said Lurie. I respect the neighbors' concerns and I am very familiar with the community process.

I respect the community process and we want to be a good neighbor, Lurie added. If they neighbors want to open the communication lines, we'll be happy to do it and if they want green space for their kids, they can have it.

http://www.cleveland.com/sun/lakewoodsunpost/index.ssf?/base/news-0/1149785005287690.xml&coll=3
THE ColDayMan's sig solidifies my status as a UO Hall of Famer.

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #104 on: June 09, 2006, 07:37:24 PM »
I live one block from Fry and I never before heard a peep about an arson until I read this article. Let alone three homes set afire. I'll have to stroll by and take a look.

Glad to hear the Cleveland Clinic is pressing ahead with its building. I hope it's more than just a one-story, suburban-style building with a parking in front. Put the damn lot in back, or maybe on the side.

Remove Ads