Author Topic: Lakewood: Development and News  (Read 168869 times)

Online surfohio

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
Re: Lakewood: Development and News
« Reply #630 on: March 31, 2017, 05:29:16 PM »
^^ One of my spies has informed me there's construction materials in the north section of Rockport. Will be really nice to finally see the finished project.

Offline pgn711

• 367'-PNC Bank
« Reply #631 on: March 31, 2017, 11:38:56 PM »
Husband and wife plan to open Lakewood distillery

http://www.cleveland.com/lakewood/index.ssf/2016/12/husband_and_wife_plan_to_open.html#incart_river_home

Work has started on this project. They have a cherry picker on site and have started removing the parging on the face of the building. Will definitely be an improvement over this now vacant part of Madison. Pretty excited to taste their rums! 8-)

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #632 on: April 01, 2017, 09:04:31 AM »
^^ One of my spies has informed me there's construction materials in the north section of Rockport. Will be really nice to finally see the finished project.

If so, I will take pictures on my way to The Shore for breakfast tomorrow morning.
"George Washington could never tell a lie.
Richard Nixon could never tell the truth.
Donald Trump cannot tell the difference."

-- Mark Shields,  News Hour

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #633 on: April 02, 2017, 09:50:09 AM »
The piles of lumber on the north side of Detroit are there so they can build the last building on the south side. There's no room left on the south side for the staging of construction materials.

Online surfohio

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #634 on: April 02, 2017, 10:28:34 AM »
The piles of lumber on the north side of Detroit are there so they can build the last building on the south side. There's no room left on the south side for the staging of construction materials.

Darn.

Offline down4cle

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #635 on: April 02, 2017, 10:38:25 AM »
I think the construction on the north side should start soon.  The signs on the lots say that a few are sold already.

Online surfohio

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #636 on: April 02, 2017, 10:47:59 AM »
I think the construction on the north side should start soon.  The signs on the lots say that a few are sold already.

Hope so, it's just been a vacant lot so long!

Offline down4cle

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #637 on: April 02, 2017, 10:58:23 AM »
I'm glad to finally see it coming along.  I wasn't a big fan of the design on paper but they look pretty good in person.  I hope this can provide some momentum to the eastern  end of Lakewood.

Online surfohio

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #638 on: April 02, 2017, 11:21:47 AM »
I'm glad to finally see it coming along.  I wasn't a big fan of the design on paper but they look pretty good in person.  I hope this can provide some momentum to the eastern  end of Lakewood.

Agree. What's going to be interesting is when the city finally runs out of buildable lots. What's that next era of development going to replace? What will it look like?

Offline down4cle

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #639 on: April 02, 2017, 12:05:34 PM »
I think build able lots are being created with some of the demos.  Hilliard theatre is gone with a nice sized parcel.   The lakewood hospital site is about 6 acres for private development.   There are infill lots with potential too.   I think Knez is planning some infill housing.

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #640 on: April 02, 2017, 03:35:19 PM »

Whenever a land use becomes obsolete (like a car dealership not near a highway interchange) or chronically under-maintained (like the Hilliard Theater), there will always be buildable lots.

BTW here's the latest Rockport Square Townhomes sales update (in photo below). After they finish the last building on the south side of Detroit Avenue, they will probably start construction on the first sold-out building on the north side....

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #641 on: April 03, 2017, 04:28:26 PM »
Big-name developers compete for Lakewood project
April 03, 2017
By STAN BULLARD   

Competition is intense for an assignment to remake the site of Lakewood Hospital as a mixed-use project. City officials and a citizens advisory group short-listed five teams from eight that vied for the site.

Several of Northeast Ohio's largest real estate developers and a sprinkling of out-of-state firms are on the short list posted on the city's web page.

Since the suburb's request for qualifications asked for full project teams incorporating consultants and architects, a panoply of the region's service providers are allied with various teams. The goal is to repurpose the 6-acre site on the southeast corner of Detroit and Belle avenues.

The five teams are as follows:

MORE:
http://www.crainscleveland.com/article/20170403/NEWS/170409961/big-name-developers-compete-for-lakewood-project

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #642 on: April 03, 2017, 06:59:49 PM »
Lakewood City School District to put board office building up for auction
By John Benson, special to cleveland.com
on March 31, 2017 at 6:57 AM, updated March 31, 2017 at 1:46 PM

LAKEWOOD, Ohio - After much deliberation, Lakewood City School District Board of Education recently announced the administrative office building located on Warren Road will be put up for a public auction on April 25.

"Now that we are nearly done with our Facilities Master Plan construction project for our school buildings, it is time to address the future of the Board's remaining properties, which include the administrative offices and the former Taft and Franklin elementary schools," Lakewood City School District Superintendent Jeff Patterson said.

"It's not a prudent use of taxpayer dollars to operate with excess capacity, therefore I made the recommendation to the Board to sell the administrative building."

MORE:
http://www.cleveland.com/lakewood/index.ssf/2017/03/lakewood_city_school_district_1.html#incart_river_index

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #643 on: April 07, 2017, 11:01:59 AM »
Construction On Lakewood Center North Starts Soon
The building is being transformed into a mixed-use development with 153 high-end apartments.
By Chris Mosby (Patch Staff) - April 3, 2017 4:08 pm ET

LAKEWOOD, OH - Downtown Lakewood is changing rapidly and the city's skyline could be getting a face lift. Lakewood Center North, the centerpiece of the Detroit Avenue corridor, is transitioning into a mixed-use building from an office space and will be renamed Center North. The project is breaking ground this week.

The 15-floor tower will feature 153 high-end apartments, while the top two floors will remain commercial office space. The first floor will continue to be occupied by Forage, the city says.

The city says the project could add as many as 250 residents to the city. The first phase of construction is expected to be completed by the end of 2017. The project is being overseen by Kowit & Company Real Estate Group, which leases the property.

Detroit Avenue and Belle Avenue will undergo minor traffic changes during the construction. Those changes will be shared with residents via the city's social media pages. Notably, traffic will be maintained in both directions during construction.

MORE:
https://patch.com/ohio/lakewood-oh/construction-lakewood-center-north-starts-soon

Offline Mendo

• 771'-Terminal Tower
« Reply #644 on: April 07, 2017, 12:59:09 PM »
The article links to some renderings that show changes to the exterior. It appears they are adding a couple vertical columns of larger windows. And apartments on the 3rd floor get a private patio on the pedestal.

http://www.onelakewood.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/LCN-Renovation.pdf

Offline down4cle

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #645 on: April 07, 2017, 01:06:29 PM »
They're doing the best they can with this brutalist monstrosity. I am glad to see more housing in Downtown Lakewood though.

Offline down4cle

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #647 on: April 07, 2017, 01:15:22 PM »
Another great adaptive re-use.  Keep them coming

Online surfohio

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #648 on: April 07, 2017, 01:22:30 PM »
Construction On Lakewood Center North Starts Soon
The building is being transformed into a mixed-use development with 153 high-end apartments.
By Chris Mosby (Patch Staff) - April 3, 2017 4:08 pm ET

LAKEWOOD, OH - Downtown Lakewood is changing rapidly and the city's skyline could be getting a face lift.

Is the city going to reject the additional windows!?

Online surfohio

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #649 on: April 11, 2017, 03:29:11 PM »
Keep your eyes on this little spot. Some of the Mahall's folks recently bought it!

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #650 on: May 05, 2017, 03:49:49 PM »
Lakewood narrows field of developers vying to remake 6-acre hospital site
May 04, 2017 UPDATED A DAY AGO
By SCOTT SUTTELL 

The city of Lakewood has narrowed the field of developers who are in contention to remake the site of Lakewood Hospital as a mixed-use project.

In a "community update" issued late Wednesday, May 3, the western suburb announced that a citizen-led advisory panel and the city administration have identified two development teams, from five on an initial shortlist, to move to the next round of consideration for the project on a 6-acre site on the southeast corner of Detroit and Belle avenues.

The two that made the cut are Columbus-based Casto, working with Mayfield Heights-based North Pointe Realty; and Carnegie Management & Development Corp. of Westlake.

MORE:
http://www.crainscleveland.com/article/20170504/NEWS/170509906/lakewood-narrows-field-of-developers-vying-to-remake-6-acre-hospital

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #651 on: May 15, 2017, 03:34:45 PM »
A pair of significant downtown Lakewood development projects are seen here. In the foreground is where the Cleveland Clinic is building a $34 million Lakewood Family Health Center. In the background, renovations are underway on the conversion of the 1974-built Lakewood Center North office building into 153 apartments after New York Life Insurance relocated its 200 employees to downtown Cleveland. More windows are being cut into all four sides of the 15-story building.

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #652 on: May 15, 2017, 03:36:34 PM »
Constantino's Market plans Lakewood store at site of former Nature's Bin
May 15, 2017 UPDATED 24 MINUTES AGO
By SCOTT SUTTELL 
This story was updated at 3:10 p.m. on Monday, May 15.

Lakewood is about to get a new food store to fill a hole in the market that was left with last fall's closing of Nature's Bin.

Cornucopia Inc., a nonprofit serving people with disabilities that operated the Nature's Bin store for more than 40 years, on Monday, May 15, announced the "pending sale" of the Nature's Bin property on Sloane Avenue in the western suburb to Constantino's Market.

Nancy Peppler, executive director of Cornucopia, said in a phone interview on Monday afternoon that Cornucopia and Constantino's have a signed purchase agreement that they expect to complete by the end of July.

MORE:
http://www.crainscleveland.com/article/20170515/NEWS/170519887/constantinos-market-plans-lakewood-store-at-site-of-former-natures
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 03:47:19 PM by KJP »

Offline Equillibrius

• 408'-Kettering Tower
« Reply #653 on: May 15, 2017, 04:09:04 PM »
It's too bad the top three floors of LCN will remain offices. The top floor with all those windows would have made some interesting penthouse apartments.

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #654 on: May 15, 2017, 04:13:21 PM »
It's too bad the top three floors of LCN will remain offices. The top floor with all those windows would have made some interesting penthouse apartments.

Probably will after the current tenant's lease runs out.

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #655 on: May 19, 2017, 02:41:34 PM »
Construction has started on the first row of Rockport Square Townhomes along the north side of Detroit Avenue in Lakewood.

Offline Equillibrius

• 408'-Kettering Tower
« Reply #656 on: May 20, 2017, 10:48:22 AM »
That lot has been sitting empty for the better part of the decade, hasn't it? Good to finally see some progress.

I've checked out the portfolios of the developers that are expressing interest in redeveloping the soon-to-be-vacant hospital site. Quite a spread of suburban shopping centers and office parks. I know the development is still many years off but I hope that's not what gets put there, especially in that part of Lakewood.

I'm personally envisioning sort of a mini NuCLEus for that site, with a residential highrise roughly the height of Lakewood Center North, but that's just me. :)

Offline 327

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Fascinating
« Reply #657 on: May 20, 2017, 07:59:14 PM »
^^ I really like the look of the ones they've built so far. 

^  There's demand for newer housing here so that seems like a good idea.  We definitely don't need a plaza, we already have one and it's more than enough.
Vibrate your greenspace today with Frank Jackson

Offline down4cle

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #658 on: May 20, 2017, 08:02:30 PM »
I attended an initial meeting for the hospital site.  The city is looking for an urban mixed use development.   Likely with a higher density use closer to Detroit and scaling back as it nears the d single family homes to the south. 

They are considering office, retail and housibg

Remove Ads