Author Topic: Lakewood: Development and News  (Read 177219 times)

Offline blinker12

• 771'-Terminal Tower
Re: Lakewood: Development and News
« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2005, 09:35:48 AM »
In the third-to-last photo, you can see the Schilling Square apartment building -- one of the most beautiful rehab jobs in the city, IMO.
P.S. Considering most of these photos are from Cleveland, why is this is the Lakewood development thread?

Offline Map Boy

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2005, 11:50:22 AM »
I don't know who that is!  I thought it was very strange when this "being" rode by on his/her bike and looked like a cutout of a real person.  I had to take a picture! 

MayDay, I thought those condos were old-ish and that that balconies/porches were recent add-ons.  Was the whole thing new construction?  I know the corner building is new, but I'm thinking that the ones to the east are from the 1920s.

Also, I'll update the Chicle caption to reflect the appropriate #...thanks!  I was kinda rushing to post this for some reason...

Offline Map Boy

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2005, 11:51:59 AM »
B12, I wanted to show that not only the Lakewood side, but also the Cleveland side of Detroit have been looking up.  There should be lots more new development around this node (Detroit & 117th) in the near future!

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2005, 09:51:05 PM »
I don't know who that is! I thought it was very strange when this "being" rode by on his/her bike and looked like a cutout of a real person. I had to take a picture!

Feeling a little flat, was she? Wasn't yesterday windy? Could've been dangerous for her....
"Courage is the first of human qualities because it is the quality which guarantees all others." Winston Churchill

Offline YSOH

• 367'-PNC Bank
« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2005, 02:23:40 PM »

I don't know who that is!  I thought it was very strange when this "being" rode by on his/her bike and looked like a cutout of a real person.

Well, I sure do hope the the real person (whoever she is) isn't quite so pale and boxy!  :)

Offline Map Boy

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #40 on: November 21, 2005, 12:47:05 PM »
Rosewood is on deck
Thursday, November 17, 2005
By BRIAN HORN
Lakewood Sun Post

The original goal of a July 2005 groundbreaking has long since passed, but construction for the Rosewood Place development may still begin by the end of this year.

According to Thomas Barrett, managing partner for the developers, North Coast Capital Partners LLC, the final plans for the 20,000-square-foot development have taken longer than anticipated, but are still moving along at a decent pace.

I think we just didn't anticipate how long it was going to take to get the whole project done, Barrett said. We were hoping we could do it a lot faster. We are trying to go at lightning speed, but, in real estate, things don't go as fast as you'd like.

Barrett said, weather permitting, he is shooting to break ground later this year, but a grunt of the work won't begin until March of 2006. He said it's realistic that the project could be completed by late 2006.

The project will now also include the Westwood Medical Building, located to the east of the future development on the southeast corner of Rosewood and Detroit avenues, according to Barrett.

He said the medical building will undergo storefront renovations, and will include retail, office space and loft apartments similar to the future building. The existing building and the future structure will blend in with the surroundings of the area, Barrett said.

Although they are two separate entities, we are going to bring them together, he said. It's all going to be part of Rosewood Place.

Barrett said two living units have already been sold, and he has been contacted by a chiropractor, dentist, a sushi restaurant, along with a coffee shop, as possible tenants.

We're looking for high-end, low-impact type of tenants, Barrett said.

Planning and Development Director Thomas Jordan said in the meantime, he would like see a construction fence with a cover that advertises the site, along with a sales office trailer.

Just to make it more attractive and get people aware that the new construction is coming, Jordan said.

Announced in May, the project will be built on a half of an acre of land at 15725 Detroit Ave. Upon completion, the project is estimated to be valued at more than $3 million and will generate more than $650,000 in new real estate taxes over a 10-year period.

The development will include 11 residential units with approximately 6,000 square feet of retail space in the ground floor of the new live-work buildings. A duplex at 1413-1415 Rosewood Ave. also will be demolished as part of the project.

Most of the project will be privately finance, but Jordan said the city did approve an incentive package for a $200,000 loan forgivable over five years, as long as the project meets the goal of creating eight full-time jobs in the retail space.

The package also includes a five-year residential tax abatement, including 100 percent of it for the first two years and 50 percent for the following three.

Offline Believe N Cleveland

• New User
« Reply #41 on: November 22, 2005, 01:50:10 PM »
Hey folks, I stumble across your web-site and found it fascinating that there are still people in Cleveland that care about the betterment (is that a word?) of the city. I'm fairly new to the area (7 years) and I love Cleveland. This city has sooo much potential. I see some good developments in the city and surrounding area... looks promising. Anyway, does anyone know who's building the Rosewood Place development? It look very nice. Good mixed use project.

Offline Map Boy

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #42 on: November 22, 2005, 02:17:24 PM »
Welcome to the forum!  I think you'll find that most of us here share your enthusiasm and optimistic outlook for Cleveland. 

According to the two articles on Rosewood on this thread, the developer is North Coast Capital Partners LLC.

Offline 3231

• Global Moderator
« Reply #43 on: November 22, 2005, 09:31:24 PM »
Hey folks, I stumble across your web-site and found it fascinating that there are still people in Cleveland that care about the betterment (is that a word?) of the city. I'm fairly new to the area (7 years) and I love Cleveland. This city has sooo much potential. I see some good developments in the city and surrounding area... looks promising. Anyway, does anyone know who's building the Rosewood Place development? It look very nice. Good mixed use project.

Believe,

There is a nice sized army of us in this city. 

Offline blinker12

• 771'-Terminal Tower
« Reply #44 on: November 23, 2005, 11:57:44 AM »
Welcome to the board Believe. Great username!

Offline buildingcincinnati

• aka grasscat
  • 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Building Cincinnati isn't a job, it's a lifestyle
    • Building Cincinnati
« Reply #45 on: November 28, 2005, 12:07:23 AM »
From the 11/24/05 Lakewood Sun Post:

PHOTO: A new all-purpose trail runs along the perimeter of Lakewood Park in this sketch. City officials plan to host a grand opening for the trail sometime next spring.

Trail heralds first phase of new park
Thursday, November 24, 2005
By BRIAN HORN
Lakewood Sun Post

The first phase of improvements to Lakewood Park are nearing completion, though the snowy weather may stop most from enjoying it until next year.

An asphalt all-purpose trail around the perimeter of the park was just finished, while a handicap access ramp and a promenade should be finished by Christmas, weather permitting. 

http://www.cleveland.com/sun/lakewoodsunpost/index.ssf?/base/news-0/1132848991185360.xml&coll=3
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 09:15:49 AM by Grumpy »
THE ColDayMan's sig solidifies my status as a UO Hall of Famer.

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #46 on: November 28, 2005, 01:20:12 AM »
Brian wrote that article before he left Sun a little more than a week ago. There now is no full-time Lakewood reporter for Sun.
"Courage is the first of human qualities because it is the quality which guarantees all others." Winston Churchill

Offline Believe N Cleveland

• New User
« Reply #47 on: January 27, 2006, 01:30:54 PM »
Thanks for the warm welcome. Sorry it took me a while to get back but I have been traveling for my company. Anyway, I hope our little army can make a difference.

Offline OompaLoompa

• 408'-Kettering Tower
  • Rockin' the Cleve
    • My Website
« Reply #48 on: January 29, 2006, 08:39:37 PM »
I was looking around the Rsyar website. They listed two projects under the "proposed" category.  They are both in Cleveland: 8001 Franklin and Clifton Courts.  Does anyone know anything about these two?
I was curious about this, because I saw two existing "Clifton Courts" as I was out walking yesterday.  But I checked their website, and it's actually "Clinton Courts", 5 townhomes they are proposing for Ohio City.  The website said this about the Franklin site:  "Rysar purchased this environmentally-contaminated property and will acquire Clean Ohio funds to finish testing site and clean it up. Rysar is in the process of designing a new project for the site, something very cool, so stay tuned."

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #49 on: February 28, 2006, 07:36:41 PM »
There is going to be an article in this week's Lakewood Sun Post, updating the Rockport Square project. Ground is going to be broken soon for the loft apartments building, where the Fairchild Chevy dealership stood until last summer (at Detroit and Beach avenues). The writer of the article received three renderings of the loft apartments buildings, but we'll probably be able to get only one of them in the paper. I will see about getting copies to post here.

Let me just say this:  this loft apartments building is going to be fairly  large for the neighborhood -- six stories tall. My building is seven stories tall, at the opposite end of Beach, and it also stands out over the smaller buildings and homes around it. But this new building down the street from me looks to have more girth to it. Stay tuned....

Offline bertram von

• 279'-First Energy Center
« Reply #50 on: February 28, 2006, 10:00:10 PM »
Can't wait to see the article... born and bred in Lakewood, I'm excited to see the Rockport Square project moving along.

Now that there are residents moving into a couple of the units and the buildings look bout completed, I can't say I'm stunned with the first phase, a little heavy-handed design-wise (and I hear there have been structural problems to clean up, as well e.g. cantilever) but it does create the urban-massing on the street (no vacant lots  :-D) and a continuous streetscape on Detroit that we've been looking forward to. Can't wait until retail spaces are put on the street!

Besides the old Chevy lot that Rockport is building on, and the lot Rosewood is taking, I have my eyes on the other car dealerships marching westward along Detroit Avenue...
« Last Edit: February 28, 2006, 10:00:48 PM by bertram von »

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #51 on: February 28, 2006, 10:06:13 PM »
My eye is on the vacated Delorean Cadillac dealership at West 117th and Madison. That property, plus the Burger King and the dumpy stores right at the corner need to get the hell out of there. For the past six months or so, I've been hearing rumblings about that site, but nothing more than that. The whole area cries out for very high density development, being right next to the Rapid station that's under redevelopment. If they build it, and I can afford it, I would definitely consider moving to it.

Offline bertram von

« Reply #52 on: February 28, 2006, 10:31:02 PM »
The City was trying to market the Delorean site at a recent real estate conference as I read recently.
I agree about the site - its probably the space in that neighborhood I'd most like to see  occupied.

BTW, maybe its a good thing that that block wasn't developed years ago as speculated - it was once proposed as a set back shopping strip like that at Marc's in Lakewood or Church Square in Fairfax from what I can recall (before the New Urbanist bug caught on).

Offline bertram von

« Reply #53 on: February 28, 2006, 10:34:14 PM »
If the project gets beyond rumblings KJP, maybe I'll be a neighbor of yours in a few years.

Offline Map Boy

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #54 on: March 01, 2006, 10:40:54 AM »
Wouldn't Rysar be the perfect developer for it?  They've been very active along the W. 117th corridor and into both Cleveland and Lakewood... 

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #55 on: March 01, 2006, 08:21:33 PM »
My bad -- the live-work loft apartments (for sale, starting at $180,000) building will be on the south side of Detroit, between Hopkins and Winchester avenues. The building will have 11,000 square feet of ground floor retail along the Detroit Avenue sidewalk and two levels of parking (one of which will be below street level). I didn't count the number of housing units, but I can if requested. The penthouses will be two-story units with patios. The building is slated to open in Fall 2007. Here are a few graphics...

Offline OompaLoompa

• 408'-Kettering Tower
  • Rockin' the Cleve
    • My Website
« Reply #56 on: March 01, 2006, 11:18:30 PM »
Cool!  I've been anxiously awaiting the retail part.  Too bad it doesn't open until 2007.  Here's keeping my fingers crossed for a bookstore...

Offline 3231

• Global Moderator
« Reply #57 on: April 01, 2006, 10:18:15 AM »
I would prefer to see less retail in this sort of project.  Lakewood has enough retail as it is.  Increased housing in the area would help support the existing retail and fill up some of the vacancies.  I am not saying that there shouldn't be any retail, but I know that this project will cause some other storefronts to go vacant in the area.

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #58 on: April 01, 2006, 12:02:34 PM »
Even with the increased residents and higher incomes this will bring to the neighborhood?

Online X

• Global Moderator
« Reply #59 on: April 01, 2006, 12:19:18 PM »
It takes a lot of residents to support retail of any sort.  It is unlikely that the increase in residents that this project will create will be enough to support any additional retail operations.  It will help the retailers that are present already, of course.

Offline 3231

• Global Moderator
« Reply #60 on: April 01, 2006, 01:04:11 PM »
I can see how a Starbucks would want to locate in the area.  I can also see how that could hurt the area's other coffee shops. 

Offline Redbeard1969

« Reply #61 on: April 04, 2006, 12:11:08 PM »
If there is some retail development, I would hope that it would be a sort of "third place" like a coffeehouse, bookstore, or other space where people could actually congregate and build up a nice little community feeling.  Of course, it'd be awfully nice if it would be a local entrepreneur rather than a national chain, but I'm sure the developer's pushing for a chain.  Much safer investment.

Now if only some of those vacant storefronts on Madison could fill up ...

Underneath this flabby exterior is an enormous lack of character -- Oscar Levant

Offline JDD941

• 555'-LeVeque Tower
« Reply #62 on: April 04, 2006, 01:36:33 PM »
Speaking of store fronts on Madison....I may be the last to know this, but I was told by the bartender last night that the tavern right there on Madison and Warren was closing down in June because they are going to rip the WHOLE building down to build yet ANOTHER Walgreens!  How many freaking drug stores do we need in this area! 

Offline 3231

• Global Moderator
« Reply #63 on: April 04, 2006, 01:54:51 PM »
Speaking of store fronts on Madison....I may be the last to know this, but I was told by the bartender last night that the tavern right there on Madison and Warren was closing down in June because they are going to rip the WHOLE building down to build yet ANOTHER Walgreens!  How many freaking drug stores do we need in this area! 

Yeah, not the greatest of news.  At least they are going to build it up to the sidewalk like they did with the one on W. 117th.  But that will still leave a lot of asphalt in back.

Offline JDD941

• 555'-LeVeque Tower
« Reply #64 on: April 04, 2006, 02:38:44 PM »
Glad to hear they will at least front the sidewalk...are there any other things going in with it?  And I KNOW this is getting off the subject....but are the proposed stores off of 117th near I-90 (Target?) going to front the sidewalk as well?  and/or be multi level like other ventures I have seen? Top of 6th..Tribe 7 White Sux 1
« Last Edit: April 04, 2006, 02:39:47 PM by JDD941 »

Online X

• Global Moderator
« Reply #65 on: April 04, 2006, 07:54:02 PM »
That's The Warren Tavern.  One of my favorites.  They had one of Cleveland's best selection of beers, and at good prices.  There was no atmosphere, but hey, if the beer is good then to hell with the rest.  They aren't closing, though.  They are moving to Bufu, Egypt.  Or Brunswick or someplace like that.

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #66 on: April 04, 2006, 08:33:03 PM »
Glad to hear they will at least front the sidewalk...are there any other things going in with it?  And I KNOW this is getting off the subject....but are the proposed stores off of 117th near I-90 (Target?) going to front the sidewalk as well?  and/or be multi level like other ventures I have seen? Top of 6th..Tribe 7 White Sux 1

Target and a relocation of the Giant Eagle at West 116th and Clifton will not front the sidewalk at I-90 and West 117th, much to the dismay of the Councilwoman Dona Brady (and me!). Their location will be less convenient to me. I can no longer walk there as easily, thus I will be taking the circulator to the Giant Eagle at Bunts and Detroit or maybe the Tops just north of that (circulator goes right to Tops' front door).

Offline OompaLoompa

• 408'-Kettering Tower
  • Rockin' the Cleve
    • My Website
« Reply #67 on: April 04, 2006, 08:39:02 PM »
Does anyone know how sales are going for Rockport Square?  I've seen the same signs in the windows for months.  2 units are sold, one of which is occupied, the other still has the "sold" sign up, and one unit is "reserved."  I haven't seen any change since the signs first went up in the fall.

Offline Redbeard1969

« Reply #68 on: April 25, 2006, 11:44:11 AM »
Saw this in Crain's Cleveland Business this week (haven't seen dirt fly yet, but I'm optimistic!):

Rosewood Place work blooms in Lakewood

By SHANNON MORTLAND

6:00 am, April 24, 2006

Construction began last Friday on the $3 million Rosewood Place development in Lakewood.

The 29,000-square-foot mixed-use project will consist of retail space and 11, two-story townhomes on land once occupied by a used car lot and two-family home.
Underneath this flabby exterior is an enormous lack of character -- Oscar Levant

Offline Redbeard1969

« Reply #69 on: April 25, 2006, 11:46:46 AM »
And this was on WEWS-TV5's website:

Lakewood Breaks Ground On Retail, Residential Development
Development Will Have Stores, Offices, Townhouses

POSTED: 4:39 pm EDT April 21, 2006

LAKEWOOD, Ohio -- Groundbreaking took place Friday in Lakewood for a new development that will bring together retail, offices and stylish apartments.

Mayor Tom George presided over the event. He and other city leaders are excited to announce the start of construction on Rosewood Place, located at the intersection of Rosewood and Detroit avenues.

The first floor will be stores and offices. The townhouses above will have a second-story terrace and private parking.

Remove Ads