Author Topic: Lakewood: Development and News  (Read 177227 times)

Offline Vulpster03

• 574'-Carew Tower
Re: Lakewood: Development and News
« Reply #140 on: October 22, 2006, 09:55:12 PM »
hey. you don't live downtown.

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #141 on: October 23, 2006, 09:54:45 AM »
Yeah, at least I'm pimping my own digs.
"Courage is the first of human qualities because it is the quality which guarantees all others." Winston Churchill

Offline 3231

• Global Moderator
« Reply #142 on: October 23, 2006, 10:00:55 AM »
hey. you don't live downtown.

I'm much closer to downtown than Lakewood. Hey, I've got a kid and wife who loves to garden. I'm doing the best I can :)

Offline Vulpster03

• 574'-Carew Tower
« Reply #143 on: October 23, 2006, 12:39:59 PM »
Ohio City and other Cleveland neighborhoods are not 'downtown', they are in the 'city' as opposed to the suburbs.  The general populace refers to Edgewater, Tremont, Ohio City, University Circle, Detroit-Shoreway, Westpark, and Little Italy as 'downtown'. Whenever someone asks me where Tremont is, "like is that downtown?" I say "No, it is in the city. This is a pet peeve of mine and I try to break this ingrained habit out of Greater Cleveland speech whenever I encounter it. Bust anyway wimwar; living in the 'city' is just as commendable as living 'downtown'.

Offline MayDay

• Administrator
  • The HBIC from the CLE
    • Cleveland Skyscrapers
« Reply #144 on: October 23, 2006, 12:45:14 PM »
^I'm the same way; and I also correct anyone who mistakes my 'hood for Lakewood. It's "city OF..." thankyouverymuch!

Offline Florida Guy

• 1450'-Willis Tower
« Reply #145 on: October 23, 2006, 02:26:05 PM »
I am aware that the neighborhoods mentioned above are not downtown but in the City of Cleveland.

However, I was quite surprised to learn from this forum that Shaker Square is in Cleveland. I always thought it was part of Shaker Heights.

Btw, my interpretation of wimwar's post is that he is recommending downtown. I can see that he is from Ohio City.

Offline MyTwoSense

• 40+ and Fly
  • 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • back with a vengeance!
« Reply #146 on: October 23, 2006, 03:17:28 PM »
I am aware that the neighborhoods mentioned above are not downtown but in the City of Cleveland.

However, I was quite surprised to learn from this forum that Shaker Square is in Cleveland. I always thought it was part of Shaker Heights.

People make that mistake all the time.  It was built as the "gateway" to shaker hts, as shaker hts semi-wraps around Shaker Square-Larchmere.  Some streets around here literally change over from shaker <-> Cleveland in mid block, so your neighbor (or the person directly across the street) could be in Shaker but you'd be in Cleveland. If I walk out of my door and cross the street I'm in Shaker.

A young lady I casually know, had "shaker hts" on her payroll and tax information instead of "Cleveland", for well over a year.  You know she got screwed!
my 2      Please Sell Crazy Someplace Else....We Have Excess Inventory Here!!

Offline Vulpster03

• 574'-Carew Tower
« Reply #147 on: October 23, 2006, 09:36:21 PM »
^I'm the same way; and I also correct anyone who mistakes my 'hood for Lakewood. It's "city OF..." thankyouverymuch!

I don't even go so far to say "city OF". There is one true "city" in Northeast Ohio, and that's Cleveland. When you say city, people should understand that to be Cleveland proper.

Offline OompaLoompa

• 408'-Kettering Tower
  • Rockin' the Cleve
    • My Website
« Reply #148 on: October 29, 2006, 10:42:21 AM »
Has anyone else noticed that they have started clearing ground for the Rockport Square project between Ridgewood and Winchester streets?  According to their site plan, this would be Phase 2.  But they haven't started Phase 1B yet, they are almost done with Phase 1A.  I wonder if they are skipping 1B because they don't have any retail interest?  But it seems a little odd to jump over to that plot rather than build outward from the existing condos and keep the development continguous.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2006, 10:43:11 AM by OompaLoompa »

Online FrqntFlyr

• Premium Member
« Reply #149 on: October 29, 2006, 09:07:06 PM »
I noticed this week as well.  The block that they are starting will be more townhomes, much like the block already nearly complete. 

This is a bit weird because I was told by the sales agent in June/July that the retail/lofts building was "about to break ground"; they were "waiting for a few more pre sales".  They already had about 10 or 12 presales back then, so not sure what the hold-up is.

Offline OompaLoompa

• 408'-Kettering Tower
  • Rockin' the Cleve
    • My Website
« Reply #150 on: November 14, 2006, 11:25:54 AM »
Anyone else see the fugly colors they painted the newest block of 4 condos for the Rockport Square project?  :| I wish I had a digital camera so I could share it.  They should have stuck with a color scheme a bit more like the others IMO.

Offline Redbeard1969

• 279'-First Energy Center
« Reply #151 on: November 21, 2006, 04:01:20 PM »
Looks like the Rosewood project is going great guns, too ... the building looks nearly buttoned-up, and soon will be finished.  I heard the new YMCA opens up in a couple of weeks, too.

Hey, nothing against Ohio City or Tremont, two of Cleveland's most interesting neighborhoods, but Lakewood's a great place.  Move here, get good schools (if you have a family or are starting one, like me), nice small yards (less to cut and rake), a thoroughly walkable community, and close to everything.

But that's my opinion, Florida Guy ... and I live in Lakewood, so consider the source.  But I used to live in Cleveland Heights, Euclid, and Mentor, and flopped a bit in Tremont back in the early 1990s when it wasn't as "hip" a place as it is now (sadly, the house we were renting sold a at the time for $13,000 ... and we didn't have the money to buy it, so we moved out)... so I've been around Cleveland, and after looking around and assessing where I thought would be best to live (and it had to be fairly close to my downtown job), Lakewood won out.
Underneath this flabby exterior is an enormous lack of character -- Oscar Levant

Offline OompaLoompa

• 408'-Kettering Tower
  • Rockin' the Cleve
    • My Website
« Reply #152 on: November 21, 2006, 04:31:00 PM »
Saw the following on the Lakewood Buzz forums:

"Just got the word from my contact at Giant Eagle. The company is going to buy the Sunoco at the corner of Detroit and Marlowe, plus the three apartment buildings to the east of it. These will be torn down, and a Get Go will be built on that site. It seems that a new owner (grocer) will take over the old site, perhaps a Rego Brothers."

See entire thread here:  (you have to be registered to read)
http://lakewoodbuzz.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/33460472/m/8401027583/r/1561080704#1561080704

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #153 on: November 21, 2006, 08:23:38 PM »
There's a Get Go already being built there. But I'd hate to see those old apartment buildings go. If they do get demolished for a grocery store, can we please put some housing on top of the store?
"Courage is the first of human qualities because it is the quality which guarantees all others." Winston Churchill

Offline Map Boy

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #154 on: November 21, 2006, 08:48:06 PM »
What?  knocking down apartment buildings for a gas station?  That doesn't sound like the Lakewood I know!

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #155 on: November 21, 2006, 09:06:28 PM »
The demolitions would be for the grocery store. The Get Go gas station replaces a Sunoco.

Offline 3231

• Global Moderator
« Reply #156 on: November 21, 2006, 09:32:00 PM »
That sucks. This corner of Lakewood is losing the storefront feel that Detroit is so famous for.

Offline Redbeard1969

• 279'-First Energy Center
« Reply #157 on: November 22, 2006, 08:45:09 AM »
well, at the moment, all that has happened is that the Sunoco there has been converted to a GetGo.  No demolition or anything major, just a conversion.  As for the old Giant Eagle store, I've heard that the Rego family still owns the property and building, so Giant Eagle has nothing to do with it.  Hopefully something will happen to the old store, perhaps demolition and replacement with new retail or a restaurant.  I'd hate to see the building sit empty for months and months into the future. 
Underneath this flabby exterior is an enormous lack of character -- Oscar Levant

Online FrqntFlyr

• Premium Member
« Reply #158 on: November 22, 2006, 12:20:51 PM »
Has anyone else noticed that they have started clearing ground for the Rockport Square project between Ridgewood and Winchester streets?  According to their site plan, this would be Phase 2.  But they haven't started Phase 1B yet, they are almost done with Phase 1A.  I wonder if they are skipping 1B because they don't have any retail interest?  But it seems a little odd to jump over to that plot rather than build outward from the existing condos and keep the development continguous.

Some "intel" on the loft building that should have been started this year and is named Phase 1B:  Apparently there was disagreement between Rysar and FCE over the costs of this building; Now that Rysar is out, FCE did a redesign and is trying to determine the new cost structure.   So, they have essentially started over and don't even have prices yet for this building.  (Before the redesign, there was a published price list with a fair amount of presales.) 

Now I hear that they may break ground in the spring.  In the meantime, it sounds like they may go ahead and start the Phase 2 townhomes the next block over.

Offline jonmoxon

• 408'-Kettering Tower
« Reply #159 on: December 23, 2006, 09:35:27 AM »
Is there anything in the works for the monstrous vacant church at the corner of Lake and 117? Last I heard Marous Bros. were looking at doing something with it. I contend to this day that it would make a great bookstore/coffeeshop, something this area sorely needs. However, I'm sure the costs involved with rehabbing that behemoth are prohibitive. I hate having to go to Crocker Park to do some serious book buying/browsing.

Online FrqntFlyr

• Premium Member
« Reply #160 on: December 23, 2006, 11:23:53 AM »
No news in awhile...  See below....

http://www.urbanohio.com/forum2/index.php?topic=925.0

Offline bizbiz

• 574'-Carew Tower
  • I Just Can't Get Enough.. OF CLEVELAND!
« Reply #161 on: December 25, 2006, 02:02:04 PM »
There is a new bookstore closer to Lakewood residents than Crocker Park. It's in Rocky River on Detroit, near the Lakewood border. I am running blanks on the name of the bookstore or the name of the new mini plaza that it sits inside of (it's like a baby Crocker Park, and I mean *baby* sized, but it has a # of upscale stores not traditionally found in a normal plaza).
« Last Edit: December 25, 2006, 02:02:48 PM by bizbiz »

Offline jamiec

• 629'-Rhodes State Tower
« Reply #162 on: December 25, 2006, 03:26:17 PM »
There is a new bookstore closer to Lakewood residents than Crocker Park. It's in Rocky River on Detroit, near the Lakewood border. I am running blanks on the name of the bookstore or the name of the new mini plaza that it sits inside of (it's like a baby Crocker Park, and I mean *baby* sized, but it has a # of upscale stores not traditionally found in a normal plaza).

Liberty News is the name. I've been there a few times since it opened (I'm a Lakewood resident). It's OK. They have an A+ magazine collection. Books not so much. Better than driving to Westlake. I'd like to see a good bookstore around here... I have high hopes for the Appletree store relocating to Tremont.

Offline OompaLoompa

• 408'-Kettering Tower
  • Rockin' the Cleve
    • My Website
« Reply #163 on: February 18, 2007, 09:56:53 PM »
Hey, I finally got a memory card for my new digital camera so I am posting my first photos!  Not claiming they are MayDay quality, but I think they turned out okay.  Here are some shots I took today of the Rockport Square development and the surrounding neighborhood.  I walk through here frequently and it is shaping up nicely, the development integrates well with the existing neighborhood and it's nice to see those old car lots filling in.

The cool Rockport Square sales center:

Townhomes on Hopkins:

Some retail on Detroit - Diverse Universe, City Dweller, and a diner:

The loft condos on Detroit.  A couple "For Sale" signs, most seem to be sold:

This is the view from the porch of one of the condos looking northwest along Detroit:

...and the scenic view of the lovely Drug Mart looking northeast:

Most recent townhomes in back of the lofts on Newman.  I don't like these as well, I think they are a little weird looking, but I think they are all sold.

The new branch of the Lakewood Hospital next door.  Just finished, I think it's open.

Some more retail next door - a barber shop, Grand Poo-Bahs Records and some type of interior design/tailoring shop:

Next to the Drug Mart, Maria's italian restaurant, a neighborhood institution:

A little further down, the Phantasy night club and some boarded up storefronts that were until recently a couple of shops that sold goth and hippie type parephernalia, it says "MOVED" on the door, but who knows where to...

The lot that seems to be next to be developed for Rockport, between Winchester and Ridgewood on the south side of Detroit, see construction equip in background.  This would be Phase 2 according to the site map on their website.  They seem to be skipping Phase 1B for now?

That's it for now!  I got too cold to take any more.

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #164 on: February 18, 2007, 10:06:16 PM »
Cool pics.

Blue Moon moved because it caught fire about three weeks ago. I don't know where it moved, either.

Offline MayDay

• Administrator
  • The HBIC from the CLE
    • Cleveland Skyscrapers
« Reply #165 on: February 20, 2007, 09:22:53 AM »
"Not claiming they are MayDay quality, but I think they turned out okay"

Oh please - I think there are some great shots in there. Would you be interested in adding them to the site? :-)

Offline MyTwoSense

• 40+ and Fly
  • 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • back with a vengeance!
« Reply #166 on: February 20, 2007, 09:34:50 AM »
those condos look really nice, except for the snow.  I say that cause I know I would not want to shovel that mess or take care of the lawn if there is one.

Offline mrnyc

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
    • friends of the highline
« Reply #167 on: February 20, 2007, 09:46:57 AM »
nice job, thx for the update pics. i dont mind any of the new home stuff at all. it all looks like decent & very urban oriented infill to me. i give it all yays!
"That whole rural thing. It's a joke." Ed Koch

Offline MyTwoSense

• 40+ and Fly
  • 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • back with a vengeance!
« Reply #168 on: February 20, 2007, 09:56:41 AM »
nice job, thx for the update pics. i dont mind any of the new home stuff at all. it all looks like decent & very urban oriented infill to me. i give it all yays!

I love the four "primary colors" townhomes.  I love the contrast to the home immediately to the left of this development, which looks to be very nice itself.

Offline 3231

• Global Moderator
« Reply #169 on: February 20, 2007, 09:59:10 AM »
This project is so good for Lakewood. The eastern portion of LKW needs a little help and this project, when finished, should do it. If Rysar redevelops the old Medic Drugstore at 117th in Cleveland, that will also help Lakewood a bunch.

Online FrqntFlyr

• Premium Member
« Reply #170 on: February 20, 2007, 10:21:40 AM »
If Rysar redevelops the old Medic Drugstore at 117th in Cleveland, that will also help Lakewood a bunch.

Where is the old Medic Drugstore exactly?  Is this an existing plan by Rysar or something new?

Offline 3231

• Global Moderator
« Reply #171 on: February 20, 2007, 10:28:11 AM »
^its on the northeast corner of 117 and Detroit (currently the cudell cdc office). there are no current plans for the building. all i know is that rysar bought it. i would assume that they would want to do something with it once rockport square is built out.

Online FrqntFlyr

• Premium Member
« Reply #172 on: February 20, 2007, 10:51:14 AM »
Well, that's good news.  There should be nothing stopping them though -- they're no longer involved with the Rockport Square project.

Offline OompaLoompa

• 408'-Kettering Tower
  • Rockin' the Cleve
    • My Website
« Reply #173 on: February 20, 2007, 10:53:05 AM »
Oh please - I think there are some great shots in there. Would you be interested in adding them to the site? :-)
Feel free to use them however you like! 

Offline OompaLoompa

• 408'-Kettering Tower
  • Rockin' the Cleve
    • My Website
« Reply #174 on: February 20, 2007, 10:53:47 AM »
^its on the northeast corner of 117 and Detroit (currently the cudell cdc office). there are no current plans for the building. all i know is that rysar bought it. i would assume that they would want to do something with it once rockport square is built out.
Is Cudell Improvement no longer in there?  If not, where did they go?

Remove Ads