Author Topic: Lakewood: Development and News  (Read 174186 times)

Offline buildingcincinnati

• aka grasscat
  • 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Building Cincinnati isn't a job, it's a lifestyle
    • Building Cincinnati
Lakewood: Development and News
« on: March 16, 2005, 10:42:43 AM »
I don't recall seeing another thread on this, but if there is one please let me know.  From the city of Lakewood website:

The City of Lakewood has recently received over $1 million (including match) in grants to begin the revitalization of the lakefront at Lakewood Park, Lakewood's only public access to Lake Erie. Grants have been received from the Clean Ohio Fund, the Ohio Coastal Management Program and the Ohio NatureWorks Grant Program. In addition, the Sisters of Charity of St. Augustine have generously granted a permanent easement of their lakefront property (nearly one-acre), to the City for the sum of $10.00.

The capturing of these public dollars provides the City of Lakewood with the historic opportunity to bring public access in Lakewood directly to the waters of Lake Erie where none has ever existed. This first phase will consist of the following components:

• Acquistion of a permanent easement of approximately one-acre of lakefront land from the Sisters of Charity of St. Augustine that is contiguous to Lakewood Park and that includes a beach area where the public will be able to access the water

• Creation of access for the public to the lakefront via the addition of stairs at both east and west ends of Lakewood Park

• The creation of a pedestrian lake walk along the shoreline which will create a quarter mile lakefront promenade and will make available for easy access one of the best views of the Cleveland skyline, outstanding sunsets and incredible views of the expansive and dramatic shale cliffs that line the shore

• The addition of an ADA accessible winding ramp which will be incorporated into the hillside, include lake-view observation stops and benches along its path and will make the lakefront accessible to all

• The introduction of appropriate native planting and other landscaping to restore the natural elements of the open space and lakefront, create habitat, prevent hillside erosion and complete an aesthetically pleasing plan to restore components that have largely disappeared throughout Cuyahoga County

http://www.ci.lakewood.oh.us/citynews_lakefront.html

« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 11:56:23 PM by I Love Lee's! »
THE ColDayMan's sig solidifies my status as a UO Hall of Famer.

Offline Equillibrius

• 408'-Kettering Tower
Re: Lakewood: Development and News
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2005, 11:50:48 AM »
Good to see it finally happen.  The lack of public access to the lake was one of the things that bothered me most about Lakewood.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2005, 11:52:25 AM by Equillibrius »

• aka grasscat
  • 2717'-Burj Khalifa
    • Building Cincinnati
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2005, 06:01:07 PM »
No doubt...when you're called "Lakewood", you should be able to utilize the lake.

Offline smackem81

• 468'-Scripps Center
  • Lost in cul-de-sac
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2005, 06:15:45 PM »
Correct me if I'm wrong its been a long time since I have been there (haven't been there since I was a little kid in 80's living near the park) But when they put all those anti-erosion 'jack-like' things down by the lake, I distintly remember there being a fishing ledge/concrete observation thingy there. So that qualifys as lake access :) Anyhoo that looks so nice

Offline Map Boy

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2005, 08:13:53 PM »
I used to sneak down there with my first girlfriend...tee hee!

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2005, 09:37:53 AM »
http://www.cleveland.com/news/plaindealer/index.ssf?/base/cuyahoga/1115199157294381.xml

New housing project builds on boom in Lakewood
Wednesday, May 04, 2005
Thomas Ott
Plain Dealer Reporter

Lakewood- This older suburb's rebuilding boom has picked up more power with a plan to put townhouses on an abandoned used-car lot.

North Coast Capital Partners announced this week that it will build 11 townhouses on top of three ground-floor cafes or shops at Detroit and Rosewood avenues. Work on the $3 million project will begin this summer.

Rosewood Place is the latest in a series of projects that represent Lakewood's most significant construction in years.

« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 02:38:44 PM by ColDayMan »
"Greater Cleveland is last in the country in number of jobs accessible in typical commute distance, creating a huge drag on economy and more air & water pollution."-- Vibrant NEO

Offline mrnyc

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
    • friends of the highline
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2005, 02:09:27 PM »
great news, i couldn't be happier. now more please!

now if only mayor jane would see the value of building over parking lots like that.....

"That whole rural thing. It's a joke." Ed Koch

Offline X

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2005, 06:04:11 PM »
Who says she doesn't?  The difference is Cleveland has plenty of vacant lots that need built on first.  Once we run out of fallow land, then we can begin upgrading land that already has a use.

Offline mrnyc

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2005, 08:11:02 PM »
^i was immediately thinking of the warehouse nabe when i said that, not the other areas.

Offline X

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2005, 10:19:36 PM »
The economics are a bit different.  A car dealership can be bought out and move to a different, and by their standards, probably better, location.  A downtown parking lot has to be downtown.  Its that particular plot of land that is generating the income for them.  They can't be bought out and continue to make money as a parking lot.  That's the difficulty in getting them to move, you're buying land and a business.

Offline mrnyc

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2005, 11:37:48 AM »
^i know. thats why the taxpayers pay jane and the politicians the big bucks. to work that out. it's not impossible, nor even expensive. it just takes some creative action. minimally creative really, but definately action. all those open lots are a blight.

Offline Map Boy

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2005, 07:20:35 PM »
any links to the Rosewood or Rockport developments?  How close are these to W. 117th?

Offline Map Boy

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2005, 07:37:26 PM »
I can't believe no one has brought this up before on this site! 

www.rockportsquare.com

This one's just two blocks from West 117th and the City of Cleveland...an easy 5-minute walk from the Red Line!

here's just a taste:

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2005, 03:17:55 PM »
It's a little farther than 5 minutes. When I walk home from the rapid (which isn't often -- I take the Circulator) it takes 15 minutes. And that's downhill. Going uphill to the Rapid station, it's easily 20. So, I wouldn't associate this development with the Red Line at all.

But it does have very good acess to/from the #326 on Detroit (24hour service, with 5-10 minute headways during the day), #75X on Clifton/W.117/Berea/Triskett/Lorain (20-hour service, with 15-30 minute headways during the day), and #804 Lakewood Circulator (18-hour service, with 15-minute headways during the day). So, Rockport has pretty good transit access, though rail is a hike (especially in lousy weather, which, fortunately we rarely get in Cleveland!).

KJP
"Greater Cleveland is last in the country in number of jobs accessible in typical commute distance, creating a huge drag on economy and more air & water pollution."-- Vibrant NEO

Offline Map Boy

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2005, 04:54:41 PM »
yer bummin me out KJP!  come on...couldn't I make it there in 5 minutes if I really hustled???  It looks so close on the map!

Offline 3231

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2005, 11:06:39 PM »
I like this view of the entire site plan..

Offline Equillibrius

• 408'-Kettering Tower
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2005, 12:59:43 AM »
Here's a link to a Google satellite map of the area, offering a view of all the yucky car dealerships that are being replaced...

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=lakewood+ohio&ll=41.484257,-81.772785&spn=0.005257,0.008465&t=k&hl=en

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2005, 09:34:54 AM »
yer bummin me out KJP! come on...couldn't I make it there in 5 minutes if I really hustled??? It looks so close on the map!

I dunno. Give it a try. Make your path past the fire station. They have defibrillators there.

KJP

• aka grasscat
  • 2717'-Burj Khalifa
    • Building Cincinnati
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2005, 07:02:15 PM »
Here's some info on Rosewood Place I ran across (http://www.ci.lakewood.oh.us/citynews_rosewood.html):

Project Description
The former car dealership located at 15725 Detroit Avenue currently rests on one of the most underutilized parcels in the City of Lakewood. North Coast Capital Partners LLC plans to construct a new, three story, 20,000 sq. feet mixed use structure with an elevator. The development will include approximately 5800 square feet of retail space on the ground floor and 11 townhouses on the second and third floors. As part of the redevelopment plan, the developer plans to provide 33 new parking spots. Overall, the proposed development provides yet another style of housing to Lakewood's diverse stock in an appropriate, neo-urban manner.

Project Facts
Developer: North Coast Capital Partners LLC 
Use: Mixed-Use Residential and Commercial- see attached site plan
  • Residential - 11 New For-Sale Units
  • Retail - Approximately 5800 square feet of retail space in the ground floor of a new live-work buildings
  • Covered structured parking to serve live-work units
Value: Current Estimated Market Value - $266,700 
  Projected Estimated Value upon completion - $3.025 Million 
Project Site: 15725 Detroit Avenue on the southeast corner of Rosewood and Detroit Avenues and a duplex located at 1413-1415 Rosewood Avenue
Size: Approximately .5 acres
Timeline: Project should start in July 2005 and be completed by summer 2006.

Project Financials
Public Financing:
   Approximately 7% of completed project value
   • Proposed EDF Loan for $200,000 forgivable over five years as long as project meets job creation goals.
   Proposed 5-year Residential Tax Abatement
   • 100% for years One and Two
   • 50% for years Three, Four and Five
Private Financing:
   Approximately 93% of completed project value
   Developer secures private financing for remainder of project, which will have an estimated market value after the completion of approximately $2.7 million.

Rationale for City Assistance
Tax Abatement:
• Schools and City will continue to receive $7,776 from the two parcels involved with the site.
• Project will generate nearly $750,000 in new real estate taxes over a ten-year period.
• Of that amount, the schools will receive over $436,000 and the City will receive over $137,000.
• Other communities competing for those purchasing new home currently offer Tax Abatement at similar or more generous levels.
• Since 1978, the City has offered tax abatement for the remodeling of existing homes.

Bottom Line:
  The Rosewood Place project will increase the tax base and the total tax revenues generated from the project site to both the City and the Lakewood Public Schools.

For more information, visit www.rosewoodplace.com.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2005, 07:03:40 PM by grasscat »

Offline 3231

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2005, 02:57:09 PM »
I just got some news that the Rockport Square project is going to expand a bit.  There is a parking lot with an empty store just to the east of the project.  Rysar has bought the land and is going to incorporate it into the project.  This will cover up another surface parking lot and extend the project closer to Cleveland.  The lady said that she is not exactly sure what Rysar is going to do with the site, but that it will indeed be part of it.  For anyone who knows the area, it is where the old Doc Hebens herb store was located.

Offline Equillibrius

• 408'-Kettering Tower
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2005, 04:23:14 PM »
Too bad the nearby Drug Mart isn't closing any time soon.  That would free up another parcel of land for the project to expand on, and rid the street of another parking lot.

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2005, 10:35:00 PM »
^And would get rid of a crappy, low-class store!

KJP

Offline Equillibrius

• 408'-Kettering Tower
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2005, 10:11:32 AM »
Yeah, that too.

Offline 3231

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2005, 11:52:41 AM »
I was looking around the Rsyar website. They listed two projects under the "proposed" category.  They are both in Cleveland: 8001 Franklin and Clifton Courts.  Does anyone know anything about these two?

Offline MayDay

• Administrator
  • The HBIC from the CLE
    • Cleveland Skyscrapers
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2005, 02:13:27 PM »
Sorry for the delay in posting these but here are some views of the model for the Rockport Square project:

Looking east from the western end of the project:

Looking south - the low-slung white structure is the existing building where Enterprise, the Shore Restaurant, and City Dweller/Diverse Universe are located:

And looking west:

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2005, 08:39:21 PM »
Very cool. But I'm surprised they don't have a model showing the development for the north side of Detroit Road, where Fairchild Chevy's new car showroom and service department were located. According to Rysar's website, that's where the street-level retail would be located, with the housing above, as well as a plaza opening toward the brownstone apartments to the north. I'm anxious to see a 3-D representation of it.

KJP

Offline Equillibrius

• 408'-Kettering Tower
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2005, 08:43:56 PM »
I went by the site about a month ago.  The townhomes on the far east side (the red and yellow buildings in the site plan wimwar posted above) were/are the only structures being built, but already they add nicely to the streetscape.  Detroit Ave. going to look great when this is all finished.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2005, 08:45:29 PM by Equillibrius »

Offline Map Boy

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2005, 06:00:00 PM »
Rode my bike by the site today and checked out the sales center.  First off, best sales center I've ever seen!  It's in an old firehouse that Rysar bought on site that still has two fire poles and lots of character.  The 3-D model is, of course, the coolest part of the marketing, but the people in there really know their stuff too!  And they had cookies!

More of the model shots:

Some real time views of the first phase of development:

The Detroit townhomes:

The Hopkins Avenue Townhomes:

The rears, with two-car garages, patios and room for four more townhouses in the future!

« Last Edit: November 13, 2005, 06:05:11 PM by Mister Good Day »

Offline Map Boy

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2005, 06:11:40 PM »
Upon visiting the site, this is actually one of my favorite developments going on right now.  It's in Lakewood, which kills some of the buzz for me, but it's really part of a contiguous Detroit Avenue that runs through Cleveland into Lakewood and is looking really nice! (see the photos below)

Rysar has its hands in quite a few nice projects right now and I hope Cleveland can do more to capture their investment dollars.  From what I hear, Ken Lurie is a Jackson backer who used to support Jane, so that should bode well for the future. 

As for the future of the site just east of the project that Wimwar mentioned earlier (formerly a health goods store)...it's going to be a Cleveland Clinic medical office, which will only help solidify this neighborhood's position as a great place to live and work!

Offline Map Boy

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2005, 06:32:48 PM »
Cuddel/Edgewaterl...Just across the Cleveland border from Lakewood...Detroit Avenue from W. 103rd to W. 117th:

Some rowhouses on W. 117th, just south of Detroit:

Old storefronts and new old storefronts at Detroit and W. 116th (the ones on the right were being fixed up):

The north side of Detroit at 116th has a couple old tenants and a couple newer ones:

The north side of Detroit at W. 111th:

South side of Detroit at W. 110th...some old (?), some new:

Recently completed Chicle lofts, soon to be home to another 36-44 new townhomes!

« Last Edit: November 14, 2005, 11:54:51 AM by Mister Good Day »

Offline smackem81

• 468'-Scripps Center
  • Lost in cul-de-sac
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2005, 07:07:58 PM »
Looks very nice around there. Its nitchine nice things like this that the inner ring suburbs and cleveland should capitalize on for new growth
« Last Edit: November 13, 2005, 07:09:57 PM by smackem81 »

Offline MayDay

• Administrator
  • The HBIC from the CLE
    • Cleveland Skyscrapers
« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2005, 07:58:20 PM »
MGD, great photos - just to clarify: the "some old, some new" image shows the Schilling Square condos - they're relatively new (1999) and sell for around $250K a pop. Here's a link to a sample condo: http://www.results.cc/PhotoTemp/10803BDetroit/index.html

Also, the Chicle development is calling for 36 units (instead of 12).

Offline 3231

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2005, 08:10:39 PM »
MGD,

Who is that cute white person on the bike in front of the diner near 117th? ;)
« Last Edit: November 13, 2005, 10:21:57 PM by wimwar »

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2005, 10:07:30 PM »
I suspect the girlfriend didn't want her picture posted for all to see, correct?

Offline 3231

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2005, 10:21:15 PM »
^ Can you blame her?  Not many around here would want to be associated with that Mr. Good Day creep.  I for one avoid him whenever possible.

Remove Ads