Author Topic: Canton-Massillon: Random Development News & Info  (Read 63771 times)

Offline akronurban

• 0'-Surface Lot
Re: Canton-Massillon: Random Development News & Info
« Reply #70 on: June 25, 2012, 05:55:09 PM »
This building is of great historical significance as the Massillon office of Republic Steel Corp., once the 3rd largest steel company in the world. It was near here that the "Little Steel" strike of 1937 occurred where 3 workers were shot and killed by police after the company had expelled over 1000 workers because of union organizing activities. I grew up and worked there the summer after graduating from high school. Republic Steel once employed over 1/2 the entire workforce in the City of Massillon. (thank you Wikipedia!)

Offline mkeller234

• 629'-Rhodes State Tower
« Reply #71 on: August 10, 2012, 08:03:40 PM »
I went out the other day and wasted some time downtown.  There are some new things happening that I hadn't noticed before.

The former downtown YMCA, soon to be torn down.

DSC06750 by mkeller234, on Flickr

DSC06752 by mkeller234, on Flickr

DSC06753 by mkeller234, on Flickr

The plywood in the Onesto is newish, at least there is a visible sign that something is going on.

DSC06760 by mkeller234, on Flickr

Another view, the YMCA is peeking over the top.

DSC06765 by mkeller234, on Flickr

There were some construction workers inside the Sten & Mann building. 

DSC06769 by mkeller234, on Flickr

AH!  These used to be covered with drop ceilings.

DSC06774 by mkeller234, on Flickr

My co-pilot:

DSC06775 by mkeller234, on Flickr

DSC06776 by mkeller234, on Flickr

An artist set up shop in the Canton steam power plant.  Steve Coon owns this building.

DSC06779 by mkeller234, on Flickr

DSC06787 by mkeller234, on Flickr

DSC06788 by mkeller234, on Flickr

DSC06790 by mkeller234, on Flickr
« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 09:27:00 AM by mkeller234 »

Offline mkeller234

« Reply #72 on: August 10, 2012, 08:07:57 PM »
This building is looking great these days.  Someone did a nice job.

DSC06795 by mkeller234, on Flickr

The floor lights up underneath, it looks really cool.

DSC06798 by mkeller234, on Flickr

DSC06800 by mkeller234, on Flickr

DSC06803 by mkeller234, on Flickr

DSC06806 by mkeller234, on Flickr

DSC06808 by mkeller234, on Flickr

DSC06809 by mkeller234, on Flickr

DSC06810 by mkeller234, on Flickr

Another artist studio on Rex avenue

DSC06812 by mkeller234, on Flickr

Even better.... there was a full construction crew at the house next to mine today!

DSC06815 by mkeller234, on Flickr

DSC06814 by mkeller234, on Flickr
« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 09:27:38 AM by mkeller234 »

Offline JRC

« Reply #73 on: August 12, 2012, 08:33:17 AM »
Thanks for the pics!  I've probably said this before, but even though I grew up in Stark County, we were a Massillon oriented family, and almost never went to Canton.

Offline mkeller234

« Reply #74 on: September 23, 2012, 06:01:29 PM »
The downtown YMCA is coming down soon.  I snapped a few farewell photos of it in the small Canton skyline.  Y'd ya have to go??

DSC00416 by mkeller234, on Flickr

DSC00421 by mkeller234, on Flickr

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #75 on: September 23, 2012, 09:10:39 PM »
"Courage is the first of human qualities because it is the quality which guarantees all others." – Winston Churchill

Offline gotribe

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #76 on: September 24, 2012, 11:20:59 AM »
Is there something going in place of this building?

Offline mkeller234

« Reply #77 on: October 02, 2012, 12:22:01 PM »
Yes, a new YMCA will replace the one being torn down.  The new one is much smaller and more of a suburban design with parking lots surrounding it.

Offline yanni_gogolak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #78 on: October 09, 2012, 12:31:40 PM »
North Canton finds buyer for vacant car dealership building

By Dottie McGrew
Special to the Beacon Journal
Published: October 8, 2012 - 11:51 PM

NORTH CANTON: The former Willis Motor Co. site on North Main Street will become the new home of the North Canton YMCA Child Care Center.

The YMCA of Central Stark County purchased the long-vacant site last week for an undisclosed amount, North Canton Y Director Ben Wheeler said.

http://www.ohio.com/news/local-news/north-canton-finds-buyer-for-vacant-car-dealership-building-1.340457

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #79 on: October 12, 2012, 10:22:05 PM »
Yes, a new YMCA will replace the one being torn down.  The new one is much smaller and more of a suburban design with parking lots surrounding it.

Of course! While more cities are densifying, Ohio's cities are going in the opposite direction.
"Courage is the first of human qualities because it is the quality which guarantees all others." – Winston Churchill

Offline mkeller234

« Reply #80 on: October 14, 2012, 10:27:56 PM »
I'm pretty bummed out about it KJP.  I do think that it's the right decision for the YMCA, I just wish it didn't involve tearing the old one down.

I took these today.  Notice the construction vehicle up on the top floor.

DSC00814 by mkeller234, on Flickr

DSC00815 by mkeller234, on Flickr

Offline ink

• UO Supporting Moderator
« Reply #81 on: October 14, 2012, 10:46:37 PM »
That is really too bad. Thanks for the pics, though.

Offline 327

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Fascinating
« Reply #82 on: October 15, 2012, 07:34:21 AM »
How did they get that bobcat up there?
Vibrate your greenspace today with Frank Jackson

Offline mkeller234

« Reply #83 on: October 15, 2012, 08:05:36 AM »
How did they get that bobcat up there?

Ha, I have no idea.... maybe a crane?  I wouldn't want to drive that around up on the destroyed 9th floor.

Offline Bryce McGovern

• New User
« Reply #84 on: November 16, 2012, 09:51:03 AM »
Yeah, it's a pretty nice building.... except for the nasty appendage that was added later; "Bliss tower".  That back portion did not have a tower on it when the hotel was originally built, I believe it's the ballroom.

I toured the building about 2 years ago, after the asbestos abatement.  The upper floors were mostly empty.  The old elevator is still operational and was pretty cool to use.  There is a restaurant / bar called the Conestoga that has reopened on the ground floor recently.  It's a really nice bar with all of the original charm and great wooden details.  It's pretty surprising to me that the building still has so much of it's original features.

Has there been any update on the Onesto? I know that they have been working on it in pieces for a while, but I have heard very little about their progress.

Offline ink

• UO Supporting Moderator
« Reply #85 on: November 16, 2012, 11:28:08 AM »
We need some updated YMCA demo pics as well.

Offline mkeller234

« Reply #86 on: November 16, 2012, 11:55:26 PM »
Yeah, it's a pretty nice building.... except for the nasty appendage that was added later; "Bliss tower".  That back portion did not have a tower on it when the hotel was originally built, I believe it's the ballroom.

I toured the building about 2 years ago, after the asbestos abatement.  The upper floors were mostly empty.  The old elevator is still operational and was pretty cool to use.  There is a restaurant / bar called the Conestoga that has reopened on the ground floor recently.  It's a really nice bar with all of the original charm and great wooden details.  It's pretty surprising to me that the building still has so much of it's original features.

Has there been any update on the Onesto? I know that they have been working on it in pieces for a while, but I have heard very little about their progress.

The last update that I read about the Onesto was in a  section of the Canton repository called "boldface", on March 17.

Here is the full article:
http://www.cantonrep.com/news/business/x872943252/Bold-Face-Brownstone-vacancy-filled

And the snippet about the Onesto: 
He (Steve Coon) said there also will be good news to share on the Onesto Hotel project in four or five weeks.

“We’re going to have life back downtown, and the Onesto’s going to bring it,” Coon said. “We’re going to be alive and well downtown. You watch.”

About that same time I noticed that a lot of the windows were being replaced with ply wood.  I never saw that "good news" and it's been a little more than 5 weeks.  I have a feeling it's all about financing....I hope it's on some sort of track.

Offline mkeller234

« Reply #87 on: November 18, 2012, 10:59:09 PM »
We need some updated YMCA demo pics as well.

I grabbed my camera and went back today.  It's gone, nothing but a small pile of rubble now.

Offline NEOBuckeye

• 468'-Scripps Center
« Reply #88 on: November 28, 2012, 03:12:11 PM »
For a downtown that is trying to preserve its heritage and revitalize itself at the same time, it seems like such a major setback that the city gave the go-ahead to demo a building that contributed to its very modest skyline... only to replace it with a suburbanesque design that belongs on a generic strip mall outlot up in Belden Village. :roll:

Downtown Canton certainly benefits from having a YMCA, but it's too bad they couldn't have redeveloped the existing building for another use (offices, apartments, etc.) while building the new YMCA on one of the all too numerous parking lots nearby. Alas, shortsighted thinking and the car culture mentality prevails once again.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 03:18:18 PM by NEOBuckeye »

Offline yanni_gogolak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #89 on: December 06, 2012, 11:48:39 AM »
New factory planned in Canton Township

By Nancy Molnar
Published: December 4, 2012 - 08:46 PM

The company needs to move because its current facility at 1600 Whipple Ave. SW is not large enough for the conveyors it builds, Canton Development Director Fonda Williams said.

AmbaFlex is expected to move its 17 employees to the new building.

http://www.ohio.com/news/local-news/new-factory-planned-in-canton-township-1.355327

Online Mendo

• 771'-Terminal Tower
« Reply #90 on: December 06, 2012, 12:20:30 PM »
I guess expanding their current facility is out of the question? I think this is the industrial park they are moving to. Undeveloped, former farmland about 15 minutes southwest from downtown.

http://www.starkcoohio.com/html/mills.html

http://www.starkcoohio.com/jpegs_lrg/mills_aerial_new.jpg

Offline yanni_gogolak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #91 on: December 07, 2012, 01:09:20 PM »
I guess expanding their current facility is out of the question? I think this is the industrial park they are moving to. Undeveloped, former farmland about 15 minutes southwest from downtown.

http://www.starkcoohio.com/html/mills.html

http://www.starkcoohio.com/jpegs_lrg/mills_aerial_new.jpg

From looking at all of the handouts and possibly more depending on employees, it seems like another one of those no brainers to relocate to a new facility.

Offline yanni_gogolak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #92 on: January 07, 2013, 08:51:15 AM »
PHOTOS: Stark State Hoists New Pedestrian Bridge Into Place

The bridge connects the 660-space student parking lot at the corner of Mega Street and Frank Avenue to the second floor of the North Academic Building
By Morgan Day

Stark State College hoisted its new $1.1 million, 80-ton pedestrian bridge into place Monday afternoon.

The bridge connects the 660-space student parking lot at the corner of Mega Street and Frank Avenue to the second floor of the North Academic Building.

http://northcanton.patch.com/articles/photos-stark-state-hoists-new-pedestrian-bridge-into-place#photo-10535824

Offline Buck1974

• 0'-Surface Lot
« Reply #93 on: January 15, 2013, 11:07:18 AM »
I disagree with some stating that Canton has a so so skyline for a city its size.  Here are some recent aerials I found of Canton.  They are copyrighted so you have to go through the link. 

http://www.aerialaspectphoto.com/shop/gallery.php?mode=gallery&id=NTAyNDkxOGE5YzE=&page=1

Canton photos very nicely from the air.  With a metro of over 400,000 though I do think Canton should have a couple more high rise buildings between 10 to 18 floors.  But like the rest of Ohio cities, the suburban nightmare is still all too prevalent.  Overall downtown Canton has vastly improved over the last 15 years.  I wish the old YMCA was renovated rather than torn down but I guess the cost of asbestos abatement made that impossible. 
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 11:22:59 AM by Buck1974 »

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #94 on: January 15, 2013, 11:18:18 AM »
An ariel?

Offline Buck1974

• 0'-Surface Lot
« Reply #95 on: January 15, 2013, 11:24:00 AM »

Offline mkeller234

« Reply #96 on: August 29, 2013, 02:36:13 AM »
Downtown Canton got it's very first bicycle lanes this month.  The lanes are on each side of Walnut Ave NE.  They run from 3rd street South, up to 12th street.  Walnut is a one way, one of the bike lanes has cyclists riding against traffic.  I think that was probably a mistake, but I am happy to see the lanes.

These lanes will tie into the greenway master plan, which should eventually connect the entire county with recreational trails.

Offline NEOBuckeye

• 468'-Scripps Center
« Reply #97 on: August 29, 2013, 11:33:55 PM »
^I recently saw the new bike lanes too on Walnut Ave and noticed that the lane running against traffic even has its own traffic light. Never seen anything quite like it. I agree, it's probably a mistake given that people around NE Ohio aren't exactly used to this sort of arrangement, but I guess we have to start somewhere, right?

Still, I think they might have been better off converting this street to two-way traffic. For that matter, I'm not sure that Downtown Canton even gets busy enough during rush hour now to warrant any one-way streets. They should convert them all over to two-way. It would do a lot to nurture a stronger sense of downtown being a safe and walkable place as well as encourage more investment and re-development.

Offline mkeller234

« Reply #98 on: August 30, 2013, 02:11:36 AM »
I tend to agree with you about the one way streets being converted into to way.  However, I like Cherry Ave as a one way.  The lights on that street are synched so well that you can hit each one without stopping.  I suppose that might not be a healthy thing for downtown.... but I enjoy it!  I wish they would do a better job with the lights on W. Tusc.  Driving down that road is much harder than it probably should be.

Offline mkeller234

« Reply #99 on: October 22, 2013, 01:30:48 AM »
This is sort of exciting news, at least to me.  Canton doesn't have a college campus like you would find in Akron or Wooster.  I realize this Stark State satellite is no comparison to the other cities, but it's a tiny start.  I think it's wonderful news.

http://www.cantonrep.com/newsnow/x1467725940/Stark-State-to-expand-in-Canton

Stark State to expand in Canton

By Edd Pritchard
CantonRep.com staff writer
Posted Oct 22, 2013 @ 12:05 AM

Stark State College will enlarge its downtown Canton footprint by building an oil and natural-gas training site on Cherry Avenue SE.

The Jackson Township-based school will install a pump jack and well head, stock tanks, a separator and other equipment on what now is a paved parking lot bounded by Cherry Avenue, Third Street, Savannah Avenue and Second Street.

The complex will be part of the Stark State Downtown Canton Satellite Center and Energy Institute. The new facility will be include a building for indoor labs in addition to the outdoor equipment.

Offline NEOBuckeye

• 468'-Scripps Center
« Reply #100 on: October 22, 2013, 02:28:42 AM »
Ugh. I'd love to see a stronger post-secondary/higher ed presence in Downtown Canton, but Shale Oil speculation training sure isn't the way to get there.

Offline mkeller234

« Reply #101 on: October 22, 2013, 05:52:33 PM »
Yeah, I do sort of agree.  However, this is taking the place of a pretty nasty looking surface parking lot.  Don't want to turn my nose up to this and hold out for the ideal situation.

Offline yanni_gogolak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #102 on: October 23, 2013, 10:52:58 AM »
Ugh. I'd love to see a stronger post-secondary/higher ed presence in Downtown Canton, but Shale Oil speculation training sure isn't the way to get there.

Stark State seems to think it is.

Offline mkeller234

« Reply #103 on: October 24, 2013, 03:33:01 AM »
NEO Buckeye, are you a Canton resident?  Not that it matters, just rare to find that on these forums.  I've been sort of the lone Cantonian.

Offline yanni_gogolak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #104 on: October 30, 2013, 08:12:29 AM »
North Canton demolishes former ‘NoCaHi’
By Dottie McGrew

NORTH CANTON: Within the next few days, little, if anything, will remain of the former North Canton High School on Charlotte Street.

Demolition began last week with interior work; walls are coming down this week.

Hoover Sideliners, the high school booster club, plans to collect the bricks and sell them to raise funds for athletic programs. The demolition site is too dangerous to allow the public to gather bricks, district Business Manager Todd Henne said.

http://www.ohio.com/news/local/north-canton-demolishes-former-nocahi-1.440905

Remove Ads