Author Topic: Canton-Massillon: Random Development News & Info  (Read 61062 times)

Online Hts121

• UO Supporting Member
  • It's still just like your opinion, man
Re: Canton-Massillon: Random Development News & Info
« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2012, 09:36:09 AM »
Timken contract was overwhelmingly approved by the union.  The $225m expansion is going forward.
Your true friends will help you up when someone knocks you down.  Your best friend will say "Stay down, I got this."

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2012, 12:21:54 PM »
Canton Timken workers overwhelmingly adopt new contract; $225 million expansion on the way
Published: Tuesday, February 21, 2012, 9:45 PM     Updated: Wednesday, February 22, 2012, 7:25 AM
  By Robert Schoenberger, The Plain Dealer

CANTON, Ohio -- Timken workers overwhelmingly approved a contract Tuesday with the industrial equipment maker, clearing the way for a $225 million expansion of a steel plant.

After rejecting a similar deal last month, United Steelworkers Local 1123 approved the new contract, 1,520-260. The new contract runs through 2017.

"It's better than the last one," said Leroy Sword, a newly hired worker.

READ MORE AT:
http://www.cleveland.com/business/index.ssf/2012/02/canton_timken_workers_overwhel.html
"Greater Cleveland is last in the country in number of jobs accessible in typical commute distance, creating a huge drag on economy and more air & water pollution."-- Vibrant NEO

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2012, 08:42:39 AM »
Cross-posted from the Marcellus-Utica thread......

Baker Huges to hire 700 people in Massillon, invest $64 million to serve shale gas industry
Published: Monday, February 27, 2012, 10:00 PM

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Baker Hughes, one of the nation's leading oilfield services companies, plans to build a 700-job regional headquarters in Massillon.

The Massillon office would serve as the company's base for providing services to shale gas exploration companies in Ohio, Pennsylvania and surrounding states.

The Ohio Tax Credit Authority on Monday approved a 65 percent tax credit for the $64 million project. The state also approved several other Northeast Ohio business expansions at its regular monthly meeting. Calls to Baker were not immediately returned late Monday, but the company has been hinting at plans to build in this area for some time.

READ MORE AT:
http://www.cleveland.com/shalegas/index.ssf/2012/02/baker_huges_to_hire_700_people.html
"Greater Cleveland is last in the country in number of jobs accessible in typical commute distance, creating a huge drag on economy and more air & water pollution."-- Vibrant NEO

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2012, 10:28:20 PM »
Good news above, bad news below.... This is going to hurt downtown Canton, which is already becoming little more than a few historic buildings surrounded by seas of surface parking. Most of you will probably puke if you see the new building's rendering at the link below. Why do so many Ohioans hate their cities so much when so many other cities around the nation and world are urbanizing?

Timken to expand office by Akron-Canton airport; move workers from downtown Canton
Published: Tuesday, February 28, 2012, 11:13 AM     Updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2012, 12:02 PM

CLEVLEAND, Ohio -- The Timken Co. plans to build a new $42 million office complex adjacent to its existing research and development facilities near the Akron-Canton Regional Airport.

When completed toward the end of next year, Timken will move 500 workers from a building in leases in downtown Canton to the new office complex, doubling the number of workers it will have at the airport-area complex.

The Canton-based industrial equipment and steel supplier said moving some of its sales, marketing and customer service employees to the new facility should allow for more collaboration with engineers and researchers.

READ MORE AT:
http://www.cleveland.com/business/index.ssf/2012/02/timken_to_expand_office_by_akr.html

Offline yanni_gogolak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: February 29, 2012, 08:25:47 AM »
/\/\/\
I don't understand why these manufacturing corporations accept these facility designs that area poor replicas of poor 70's design. Look at this rendering, what Goodyear is building, First Energy's new office, etc... They all look like they were designed by a builder (no offense to the 5% of builders that understand good design).

Offline mkeller234

• 629'-Rhodes State Tower
« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2012, 05:14:53 AM »
A few Canton developments:

1.) The downtown Canton YMCA will be demolished this year and replaced with a new, smaller structure.  It will be called the "Eric Snow YMCA".  The new structure is pretty disappointing, more fitting of the suburbs.  Mr. Snow generously donated $1 million dollars towards the new building.  I am sad to see the old building go.

2.) Crystal Park Hardware has closed it's doors for good.  It was dubbed as Canton's oldest.  I shopped there many times and I am REALLY going to miss that place.

3.) A new bar called "Sports Therapy" has opened in the former downtown Burger King.  Yes, that sounds awful....and it sort of is, but it did turn out much nicer than anyone would expect.

4.) The former Canton Steam Power Plant now has a tenant, an artist.  The building is owned by Steve Coon and serves mainly as a storage are for his restoration company.  Apparently Thomas Edison was involved in the design of the building.  It is also rumored that Al Capone may have dumped some bodies in the deep wells through the years.

5.) The Football Hall of Fame expansion is moving forward at a quick pace.  I need to swing by and take some photos next time I take my bicycle out that way.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 05:16:44 AM by mkeller234 »

Offline yanni_gogolak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2012, 04:03:05 PM »

1.) The downtown Canton YMCA will be demolished this year and replaced with a new, smaller structure.  It will be called the "Eric Snow YMCA".  The new structure is pretty disappointing, more fitting of the suburbs.  Mr. Snow generously donated $1 million dollars towards the new building.  I am sad to see the old building go.

What makes you say it's more fitting for the burbs? Only thing I would argue is that it appears to be set back from the street. Otherwise, I don't mind it. I'm not familiar with the old building though.

Funny coincidence: The YMCA program director's name is Mike Brown, to add to Eric Snow donating money for it.

Offline mkeller234

« Reply #42 on: March 13, 2012, 12:30:38 AM »

What makes you say it's more fitting for the burbs? Only thing I would argue is that it appears to be set back from the street. Otherwise, I don't mind it. I'm not familiar with the old building though.

Yes, I don't like the way it is set back from the street.  The overall site plan includes a sea of parking lots.... something that area already has a lot of.  It's just a shame to lose the old building... but I do understand that it's needed.  At one point Steve Coon said he wanted to buy the old YMCA, but that never came to be.  Coon Restoration has been working on the Onesto Hotel for a very long time, I imagine that they don't want to take on too much more.

Here is the google maps view of the old YMCA building.  It had an unfortunate makeover at one point that removed it's original roofline details.

Picture 1 by mkeller234, on Flickr

I never thought of the Mike Brown thing, but that is pretty funny stuff.

Offline mkeller234

« Reply #43 on: March 18, 2012, 11:28:57 PM »
Hall of Fame getting a facelift for the future

By Todd Porter
CantonRep.com staff writer

CANTON —
There is dirt and mud. Plywood and two-by-fours. These aren’t the makings of the history of football.  They are making the future of the Pro Football Hall of Fame.  It is obvious when one drives past the Hall that Stark County’s iconic building is undergoing its biggest facelift since it originally was built in 1963.

http://www.cantonrep.com/sports/hall_of_fame/x872946809/Hall-of-Fame-getting-a-facelift-for-the-future

Offline mkeller234

« Reply #44 on: March 18, 2012, 11:31:10 PM »
Don't miss the great photo gallery and video that the Canton Repository put together:

http://www.cantonrep.com/photos/x872946432/Photo-Gallery-Pro-Football-HOF-Construction-Tour

Offline mkeller234

« Reply #45 on: March 22, 2012, 06:48:02 PM »
Cross Posted with the Hall of fame thread:

I rode past the HOF today to take some exterior photos of the project.  They are really humming along, the exterior should look pretty decent for the next Induction ceremony.  The overall look is a lot less dramatic than I expected.  The decorative piece above the main entrance was really scaled down, at the moment I think it looks odd.  Even so, the expansion is a major improvement on what it used to look like.

DSC05384 by mkeller234, on Flickr

DSC05380 by mkeller234, on Flickr

DSC05391 by mkeller234, on Flickr

DSC05400 by mkeller234, on Flickr

Panorama:

DSC05390 by mkeller234, on Flickr

DSC05398 by mkeller234, on Flickr

DSC05396 by mkeller234, on Flickr

DSC05401 by mkeller234, on Flickr

DSC05403 by mkeller234, on Flickr

DSC05406 by mkeller234, on Flickr

DSC05408 by mkeller234, on Flickr

DSC05414 by mkeller234, on Flickr

DSC05416 by mkeller234, on Flickr

Last year they cleaned up all of the copper on the original part of the building.  It had mostly turned completely black.

DSC05418 by mkeller234, on Flickr

Bonus Picture:
The remains of the Timken Mansion, which was donated to The Sisters of Mercy.  The landmark Stables and gatehouse were all part of this property.

DSC05421 by mkeller234, on Flickr

Offline JRC

« Reply #46 on: March 22, 2012, 07:44:35 PM »
Thanks for the pics!  I never cared for the original building, so I'm glad to see that the new addition kinda gives you more to look at. :)

I saw this on facebook yesterday, but didn't think to post it here.

City seeking buyer for 59 Duncan Place, moving on foreclosure
By Matthew Rink
IndeOnline.com staff writer
Posted Mar 20, 2012 @ 11:48 PM

MASSILLON —

Buyers may be lining up to eventually bid on the troubled 59 Duncan Place apartments, which the city is foreclosing on in an effort to recoup an unpaid loan given to developers.

Mayor Kathy Catazaro-Perry confirmed Tuesday that additional entities and individuals have expressed interest in the 66-unit, nine-story property at 59 Lincoln Way E.

More: http://www.indeonline.com/news/x1704640899/City-seeking-buyer-for-59-Duncan-Place-moving-on-foreclosure

And, in response to your March 12 post, I see that Demmer's Hardware in Massillon (open since 1917) will also be closing. :(

Offline mkeller234

« Reply #47 on: March 23, 2012, 01:56:25 AM »
^ Wow, I did not know that building was being foreclosed on!  I also didn't know that it was apartments for seniors.  Is it nice at all?

Stark Parks has been busy adding some wonderful trails.  At the moment they are mostly short, isolated segments but they will eventually start connecting the dots.  I rode the brand new Middle Branch trail two days ago and was really pleased with it.  The trail starts near my house, runs through a playground/picnic area and continues through Gervasi Vineyard.  I was so impressed that I wrote an email to StarkParks to let them know what a nice job they did.  There will be an official grand opening on June 2nd after they finish some small parts of the trail and create signs.

Here are some pictures from that ride:

DSC05327 by mkeller234, on Flickr

DSC05326 by mkeller234, on Flickr

DSC05331 by mkeller234, on Flickr

This new fence smelled amazing:

DSC05332 by mkeller234, on Flickr

The new Villas at Gervasi Vineyard.  Gervasi deserves a thread of it's own, it's pretty amazing.

DSC05346 by mkeller234, on Flickr

[
DSC05355 by mkeller234, on Flickr

DSC05356 by mkeller234, on Flickr

DSC05361 by mkeller234, on Flickr

DSC05362 by mkeller234, on Flickr

DSC05364 by mkeller234, on Flickr

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #48 on: March 23, 2012, 07:58:17 AM »
Awesome pics! I especially liked that third photo.

Offline mkeller234

« Reply #49 on: March 23, 2012, 08:48:15 AM »
Thanks!  The third photo was actually taken in motion.

Offline yanni_gogolak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #50 on: March 26, 2012, 11:33:30 AM »
The HOF addition doesn't do much for me. Maybe it will look better when done.

Offline JRC

« Reply #51 on: March 26, 2012, 12:04:29 PM »
^ Wow, I did not know that building was being foreclosed on!  I also didn't know that it was apartments for seniors.  Is it nice at all?

I don't know if the apartments are nice, or not.  I wonder if whoever buys the building will keep it senior housing?  Back when the project was completed, in the mid-90's, downtown living was still a novelty outside of the big cities, and senior housing was probably seen as more of a sure bet.

Before I saw the picture, this phrase made me laugh.  You don't read/hear that phrase very often. :)

Offline mkeller234

« Reply #52 on: March 27, 2012, 02:11:17 AM »
The HOF addition doesn't do much for me. Maybe it will look better when done.

I agree

Offline mkeller234

« Reply #53 on: March 27, 2012, 02:12:10 AM »

I don't know if the apartments are nice, or not.  I wonder if whoever buys the building will keep it senior housing?  Back when the project was completed, in the mid-90's, downtown living was still a novelty outside of the big cities, and senior housing was probably seen as more of a sure bet.

Before I saw the picture, this phrase made me laugh.  You don't read/hear that phrase very often. :)

Ha, yeah.  I think it's safe to safe that is also the last time I will probably ever say it.

Offline mkeller234

« Reply #54 on: March 27, 2012, 02:13:59 AM »
There was a very short blurb in the Repository, Steve Coon says he will have an announcement about the Hotel Onesto in coming weeks.  I hope it's good, I've been following that project for a good long while.

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #55 on: March 27, 2012, 10:12:14 AM »
There was a very short blurb in the Repository, Steve Coon says he will have an announcement about the Hotel Onesto in coming weeks.  I hope it's good, I've been following that project for a good long while.

Where and what is this hotel?

Offline mkeller234

« Reply #56 on: March 27, 2012, 05:09:25 PM »

Canton – Hotel Onesto (OHPTC & COAF) by Ohio Office of Redevelopment, on Flickr

The Onesto hotel is the second tallest building in downtown Canton.  It has been vacant for a very, very long time.  It received Historic tax credits from the state years ago but has been delayed by Asbestos removal and securing loans for construction.  The plan is for upscale apartments downtown, Steve Coon seems pretty determined to build a downtown population.

Here is the website for the project, it has not been updated since it was created.
http://historiconesto.com/info.html

And here is a quote from the website, with some background information about the building:

The Onesto Hotel officially opened its doors to the public on April 20, 1930. Francis A. Onesto, a young hotelier, recognized the potential in Canton, Ohio, and commissioned The H.L. Stevens Company to design and build a hotel that would rival hotels that were found in other metropolitan cities.
No expense was spared during the construction phase of the Onesto Hotel. Fireproof Pyro-Blocs were used for the main structures. The main lobby of the building features travertine marble staircases, brass hardware, travertine terrazzo flooring, American walnut wood trims, Italian Renaissance ornamental relief ceiling panels and a stunning crystal chandelier.
In 1982, the Onesto Hotel was added to the National Register of Historic Places, which marks it as a building of historic significance in American architecture and commerce.
Now, The Historic Onesto has been fully restored to create market rate housing in the heart of Canton’s downtown Historic District. The property will feature a bronze revolving door, and all of the existing features has been retained and restored for the enjoyment of its new occupants.

And finally, a great set of photos showing the building inside and out.  These are not my photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/63837784@N08/sets/72157627132553872/with/5909190691/

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #57 on: March 27, 2012, 08:33:13 PM »
Wow, that's a beauty!!

Offline mkeller234

« Reply #58 on: March 27, 2012, 08:35:47 PM »
Yeah, it's a pretty nice building.... except for the nasty appendage that was added later; "Bliss tower".  That back portion did not have a tower on it when the hotel was originally built, I believe it's the ballroom.

I toured the building about 2 years ago, after the asbestos abatement.  The upper floors were mostly empty.  The old elevator is still operational and was pretty cool to use.  There is a restaurant / bar called the Conestoga that has reopened on the ground floor recently.  It's a really nice bar with all of the original charm and great wooden details.  It's pretty surprising to me that the building still has so much of it's original features.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 08:40:16 PM by mkeller234 »

Offline JRC

« Reply #59 on: March 28, 2012, 05:15:13 PM »
Work under way at Shearer's Foods new HQ

IndeOnline.com staff report
Posted Mar 27, 2012 @ 11:46 PM

MASSILLON —

Signs of progress — whirring power tools and swirling dust — are easy to see inside the four-story Grand Mill Centre, located downtown across from the Massillon Museum, which is being renovated for Shearer’s Foods new corporate headquarters.

The 40,000-square-foot building, which was designed for multiple tenants, is being rehabbed to meet the needs of a single tenant, according to Kim Schumacher, president of Massillon-based Schumacher Construction Co., the project’s general contractor.

More: http://www.indeonline.com/communities/massillon/x221018411/Work-under-way-at-Shearers-Foods-new-HQ

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #60 on: March 28, 2012, 05:32:07 PM »
Downtown?? Awesome!!

Sounds like Massillon is following Kent's lead, with a small-town downtown pulling in a corporate HQ (or two) and building it with a traditional, pedestrian-friendly design!

http://www.indeonline.com/communities/massillon/x720909749/Shearers-move-to-city-delayed?photo=0

Offline mkeller234

« Reply #61 on: March 29, 2012, 03:13:47 PM »
So long to Esber's.  I'm not old enough that I will miss this place.  It has been around since 1928 and must have had a great local reputation at one point.  It's still sad to see a local institution fail.... although, this one was in a pretty sad state.  Somewhere along that line it seems the passion died and the meal I had there was nothing worth returning for.  Anyway, I work next door and my employer bought the lot.  Standard Printing now owns nearly all of the property on that block, all the way from Cherry to Walnut.  The only two other buildings remaining are a body shop (that Standard owns) and a small church.

Esber's Restaurant demolished

CantonRep.com staff report
Posted Mar 29, 2012 @ 08:20 AM
Last update Mar 29, 2012 @ 02:15 PM

CANTON —
It took Eslich Wrecking about three hours Thursday to demolish the 84-year-old Esber’s Restaurant & Cocktail Lounge building.

Project Manager Rich Eslich said the demolition was smooth and easy, with no nearby utility poles to worry about.

http://www.cantonrep.com/newsnow/x760608133/Esbers-Restaurant-demolition-begins-today
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 03:15:39 PM by mkeller234 »

Offline JRC

« Reply #62 on: April 12, 2012, 05:33:07 PM »
New life possible for Stone Block building

MASSILLON —

The old Stone Block building at the northeast corner of Tremont Avenue and Erie Street S could play an integral role in the city’s creation of an arts district.

“The owner of the building wants to clean it up and put it back into reuse,” Massillon Chamber of Commerce President Robert Sanderson said. “He’s got a real interest in the arts. Between the old Stone Block and the building that is up against it, where the bicycle shop was, he’s looking to bring some artists in to lease space. It’s all conceptual right now.”

More: http://www.indeonline.com/communities/massillon/x876162933/New-life-possible-for-Stone-Block-building

Offline mkeller234

« Reply #63 on: April 13, 2012, 03:09:25 PM »
Wow, talk about unrecognizable...compared with the old photo in the paper.  That is good news.

Offline JRC

« Reply #64 on: April 13, 2012, 06:27:07 PM »
^Back in college, I wrote a paper on Massillon.  The building lost its mansard roof in a fire.

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #65 on: April 24, 2012, 08:01:22 AM »
What's even more impressive is that its continuous caster will rise 180 feet above ground -- and 80 feet below ground! And this investment (like others) is more proof that major companies see the natgas boom as big and long-lasting....

Timken breaks ground on big expansion
By Katie Byard
Beacon Journal business writer

Published: April 23, 2012 - 01:30 PM | Updated: April 24, 2012 - 07:05 AM

PERRY TWP.: Timken Co. Chairman Ward J. “Tim” Timken Jr. recalled Monday that people thought the company was “a little bit nuts” to begin building the $450 million Faircrest steel plant in the early 1980s recession that gave the Rust Belt its name.

On Monday, 30 years later, the bearing and steel maker ceremoniously broke ground on a $225 million expansion to the Faircrest plant, south of Canton.

Timken’s steel business is thriving. The Canton company reported record overall sales in 2011 and is expecting higher sales and income for this year.

READ MORE AT:
http://www.ohio.com/news/break-news/timken-breaks-ground-on-big-expansion-1.302373

Offline JRC

« Reply #66 on: June 20, 2012, 05:40:09 PM »
Republic headquarters sells for $165,000

By Matthew Rink
IndeOnline.com staff writer
Posted Jun 19, 2012 @ 11:19 PM
Last update Jun 19, 2012 @ 11:26 PM

MASSILLON —

Republic Steel’s former world headquarters sold at auction for $165,000 to First Street Development on Tuesday, and a company official says plans for the building and possibly the separately owned 350-acre, now-defunct steel yard behind it could be unveiled in August.

Eisenhut answered in the affirmative and without hesitation when asked if the plans would lead to significant economic development for the area. The project partially is tied to the oil-and-gas industry, but not entirely, he said. He said the company is interested in the adjoining steel yard that was not part of the auction. However, he would not provide details of the plan.

“It’s the location, not the building,” he said. “It’s the property and the location.”

More: http://www.indeonline.com/news/x448224972/Republic-headquarters-sells-for-165-000?zc_p=0

That last quote has me worried.  I like this building, even though it's somewhat isolated.  And, it sounds like they have plans to tear it down in the name of progress.

Offline Gramarye

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #67 on: June 25, 2012, 12:38:09 PM »
What's so special about this building?

Offline NEOBuckeye

• 468'-Scripps Center
« Reply #69 on: June 25, 2012, 03:11:16 PM »
^The property itself sits on the Tuscarawas River and has easy access to the State Rt. 21 and Rt. 30 interchange in Southwestern Stark County, so the location is a very good one for industrial/manufacturing use.

Remove Ads