Author Topic: Canton-Massillon: Random Development News & Info  (Read 63928 times)

Offline seicer

• Premium Member
Re: Canton-Massillon: Random Development News & Info
« Reply #140 on: January 10, 2017, 09:44:14 AM »
Ugh. Not everything needs to be football themed - although I found the football themed power poles to be cute.

But... this is staritecture at its worst. While it is iconic and unique, it doesn't seem to serve the public.

The architects claims the interior will be hollow so people will climb a ladder to the top? I'm sure the city will jump right in on the liability insurance for that one. And who will supervise the patrons that will climb this hollow football? Will there be an observation deck at the top? And how many will do this? It's not accessible to most of the public, and certainly not to the disabled, and if the Purple People Bridge Climb is any indication, the vast majority will simply not take up the offer. It's no higher than other nearby buildings and offers no unique viewpoints.

And it will be closed in windy weather? And in the winter? You've eliminated about a third of the year.

An integrated landscape with a large gazebo, splash pad, fountains, playground and countless other ideas, replicated in other cities to great success, could work better.

Offline audidave

• 947'-Key Tower
  • Akron skyline
« Reply #141 on: January 10, 2017, 09:48:34 AM »
It has more of a "Huh?" effect on me. So they are going to build a 160ft shower in the grassy square. Are people in Canton trying to get wet before they go into a restaurant? Just because it will look pretty for stupid promotional flyers of Canton doesn't mean it should be moved forward. i would suggest they have a firehose shoot straight up on the square and see if that is good enough or see how long that amuses people. That would save $9 million. You're welcome, Canton.

Offline yanni_gogolak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #142 on: January 11, 2017, 01:38:35 PM »
Ha, yes, I agree with both comments.

@Sherman Cahal: An integrated landscape with a large gazebo, splash pad, fountains, playground and countless other ideas, replicated in other cities to great success, could work better.

Right, and they had exactly that with the first design that was only $1mil. I think it's more functional as well.

Offline yanni_gogolak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #143 on: March 20, 2017, 10:06:07 AM »
Hercules development could give Canton more strength
 Posted Mar 19, 2017 at 12:30 PM
By Charita Goshay

Because Hercules is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, it was eligible for Federal Historic Preservation Tax Incentive program, which provides a 20-percent credit for restoring buildings that meet the criteria. The Hercules site has been occupied since the 1870s. One of its earliest occupants was Cornelius Aultman's "thresher" company, Timken said. Current buildings range from the 1900s to the 1940s. The last occupant was Hercules Engines, which opened in 1915 and closed in 1999.

http://www.cantonrep.com/special/20170319/hercules-development-could-give-canton-more-strength

Remove Ads