Author Topic: Canton-Massillon: Random Development News & Info  (Read 60776 times)

Offline buildingcincinnati

• aka grasscat
  • 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Building Cincinnati isn't a job, it's a lifestyle
    • Building Cincinnati
Canton-Massillon: Random Development News & Info
« on: May 14, 2007, 06:50:10 PM »
From the 5/14/07 Wooster Daily Record:

Planners approve Orrville project
Developers will seek federal funds for Orchard Glen

By BOBBY WARREN
Staff Writer

WOOSTER -- Thirty-two working class families with a desire to purchase their own homes in Orrville might have their dreams realized if a development company can secure federal funding.

David Cooper and Ian Maute of Woda Development cleared one hurdle for the company's Orchard Glen project on Hostetler Road when the Wayne County Planning Commission gave its clearance for the subdivision Wednesday. Woda representatives tried to get the plan off the ground last year but were not successful.

In June, the developers will apply for federal funding and tax credits totaling $11.9 million to finance the project. They should have an answer by August. If the financing is secured, the homes will be offered to families who make between 25-60 percent of the area median gross income. The rents are expected to be between $435-$710...

http://www.the-daily-record.com/news/article/1996892
« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 03:12:21 PM by ColDayMan »
THE ColDayMan's sig solidifies my status as a UO Hall of Famer.

• aka grasscat
  • 2717'-Burj Khalifa
    • Building Cincinnati
Re: Canton-Massillon: Random Development News & Info
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2007, 12:53:44 AM »
From the 6/5/07 Massillon Independent:

Land rezoning approved for Northwood homes
By MATTHEW RINK
Matthew.Rink@IndeOnline.com

A housing development unique to Massillon jumped one hurdle Monday, as City Council approved rezoning land in the city’s downtown for its construction.

Rick Hall and Sharon Hodgson of Northwood Development want to build a dozen two- and three-story townhouse homes on a 0.76-acre tract bound by Federal and North avenues to the north and south and by Third and Fourth streets Northeast to the east and west.

The homes will be built in the brownstone-style architecture popularized in cities like Boston...

http://www.indeonline.com/index.php?ID=17150&r=2&Category=3
« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 09:01:25 AM by McCleveland »

• aka grasscat
  • 2717'-Burj Khalifa
    • Building Cincinnati
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2007, 01:40:31 AM »
From the 6/12/07 Canton Repository:

Developer receives zone change despite opposition
By FELLICIA SMITH
REPOSITORY STAFF WRITER

JACKSON TWP. When Township Trustee Bill Burger voted to adopt the Zoning Commission's recommendation to rezone land on the northeast corner of Portage Street and Lutz Avenue NW, his vote outweighed the rejection by the other two trustees.

Essentially Burger's vote changed the zoning for the 28 acres of land from rural residential to R-3, which will allow Akron based developer David Hart to build 51 single-family homes on smaller lots.

"The way the township has developed, I see there is a need for this," Burger said...

http://www.cantonrep.com/index.php?Category=9&ID=359461&r=13&subCategoryID=
« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 09:01:50 AM by McCleveland »

• aka grasscat
  • 2717'-Burj Khalifa
    • Building Cincinnati
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2007, 11:54:12 PM »
From the 7/3/07 Alliance Review:

New college housing nearly ready for students
By STEPHANIE UJHELYI
The Review

"If you build it, they will come."

Although this is an overused quote from the motion picture "Field of Dreams," this was the mentality behind Mount Union College's new $8 million housing complexes.

Blaine Lewis, director of the physical plant, said it was a "leap of faith," but it appears to be one that has paid off. The units in both new housing projects, which are set to open in August at separate sites on Union Avenue and Hartshorn Street, already have been reserved.

While traditional residence hall housing provides two-person bedrooms in a complex sharing a common bathroom on each floor, these new housing accommodations are earmarked for juniors and seniors and provide more independent living...

http://www.the-review.com/news/article/2211232
« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 09:08:48 AM by McCleveland »

• aka grasscat
  • 2717'-Burj Khalifa
    • Building Cincinnati
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2007, 11:56:48 PM »
From the 7/4/07 Canton Repository:

Home sales in Stark buck trend

Pending sales of existing homes in Stark County haven’t followed the drooping national trend.

The National Association of Realtors said Tuesday that pending sales dropped to their lowest level in almost six years, demonstrating the persistence of the housing slump.

The 3.5 percent decline in May, compared with the previous month, follows a drop of 3.4 percent in April and a 4.5 percent dip in March. It leaves the National Association of Realtors’ index at its lowest point since September 2001...

http://www.cantonrep.com/index.php?ID=363182
« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 09:09:21 AM by McCleveland »

Offline 13

• 0'-Surface Lot
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2007, 08:43:13 AM »
Attorneys partner to restore building
Tuesday, July 17, 2007
By ED BALINT
REPOSITORY STAFF WRITER 

CANTON Eugene Cazantzes admits he has dueling emotions about renovating the building at Fifth Street NE and Market Avenue N.

Cazantzes, a member of F.L.I.P. (Four Lawyers in Partnership), feels as if he's jumping off a cliff. But he's also excited.

The partnership includes Rick Pitinii, Anthony Koukoutas and Holly Davies, all Canton attorneys with offices downtown. The group is taking its first stab at a downtown project.

Each member of the group is an equal partner, he said. It's not a one-person project, he emphasized.

"I think the instant we saw it, it was love at first sight," Cazantzes said, smiling. "We just had to see how much it cost - love can be expensive.

more at: http://www.cantonrep.com/
« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 09:11:05 AM by McCleveland »

Offline mrnyc

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
    • friends of the highline
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2007, 12:57:16 PM »
does anyone know what is going on here in downtown canton? i took the pic in july. thx if you know:

"That whole rural thing. It's a joke." Ed Koch

Offline buckeye1

• Premium Member
  • UO Certified "Thread Cleaner"
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2007, 11:10:55 PM »
Developer: Hoover deal almost wrapped up
Tuesday, December 4, 2007
By G. PATRICK KELLEY
REPOSITORY BUSINESS EDITOR
and Edd Pritchard
REPOSITORY STAFF WRITER

NORTH CANTON California developer Stuart Lichter said his company is close to finalizing a deal to purchase the Hoover property downtown.
Post edited 9-4-09 to comply with terms of use
http://cantonrep.com/index.php?ID=389889&r=0&Category=9&subCategoryID=0
« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 07:38:59 PM by buckeye1 »

Offline Master

• 408'-Kettering Tower
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2008, 05:36:38 PM »
New convention center planned for Canton

Vic Gideon   3/20/2008 11:35:20 AM

CANTON -- Canton Mayor William Healy has announced plans for a convention center with retail, residential, and office space just south of downtown.
The $178 million project will sit on the site of the former Hercules Engine Plant, which spans 26 acres.

Healy expects the project to create hundreds of new jobs and give the area a shot in the arm.

"This is an opportunity for us to have some new life, new growth in the community. It's not just the project but what it represents, a turnaround."

The Ohio Department of Development/Ohio Historical Preservation Tax Credit has provided significant funding for the project.

Hercules closed almost 10 years ago and there are currently other tenants in the space.

The city says it will help those tenants relocate in the city.

The project could open by 2010.

more at:  http://www.cantonrep.com
« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 09:14:26 AM by McCleveland »

Offline seicer

• Premium Member
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2008, 03:02:37 PM »
Federal center project in Canton slated to start in spring
Developer chosen for downtown federal center
The Repository, October 30, 2008

CANTON A developer has been selected for the federal center project in downtown Canton, and work is scheduled to begin in the spring.

Fedcar Co. has been chosen by the U.S. General Services Administration. A 45,000-square-foot federal complex will be constructed on a 4.5-acre site at McKinley Avenue and Third Street SW, according to a news release from the general services administration. Occupants will include offices of the U.S. Bankruptcy Court, U.S. Marshals Service, U.S. Trustee Program, Internal Revenue Service and the Social Security Administration..
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 12:46:03 PM by Sherman Cahal »

Offline mkeller234

• 629'-Rhodes State Tower
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2008, 03:02:29 AM »
Some Canton developments today.  Ground breaking for the new federal building finally happened after a few delays.

http://www.cantonrep.com/archive/x1049853482/Regula-praised-as-officials-break-ground-for-new-federal-building
By Edd Pritchard
CantonRep.com staff writer
Posted Dec 11, 2008 @ 11:20 AM
Last update Dec 12, 2008 @ 12:50 AM

CANTON — They kept trying to give him credit for downtown’s newest project, but U.S. Rep. Ralph Regula insisted that he had a lot of help.

“This is a product of teamwork,” Regula told the crowd gathered for the official groundbreaking of the city’s new federal building.

The U.S. General Services Administration — the federal government’s real-estate manager — will lease the building, which will go up at the corner of McKinley Avenue and Third Street SW.

The new facility will cost about $14 million and replace the 76-year-old Frank T. Bow Federal Building a block east of the site. The U.S. Bankruptcy Court and clerk’s office, U.S. Trustee program, U.S. Marshal’s service, Social Security Administration and Internal Revenue Service will occupy parts of the 45,000-square-foot complex.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 12:47:48 PM by Sherman Cahal »

Offline mkeller234

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2008, 03:19:07 AM »
This is where the new Canton Federal building is going to be built.  It is in the Southwest corner of downtown and will replace 3 ugly surface lots and 1 over-grown field, so anything is an improvement.

There was a very very sad looking victorian style home on one of the lots.  The city sold it to a private citizen for $1.00.  The home was moved 3 blocks East and 1 block south, then it was beautifully restored.

The area bounded by the pink square is the new Federal building location.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2008, 03:19:59 AM by mkeller234 »

Offline Master

• 408'-Kettering Tower
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2008, 07:08:06 PM »
Maybe this will help get Downtown Canton back on a roll.

Offline mkeller234

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2008, 02:18:46 AM »
I hope so, this past summer didn't bring the amount of visible construction that I was hoping for..  There are a few other projects either in planning stages or in construction.  Some noteworthy ones:

- Old Cadillac garage - converted to photography studio/gallery below with private residence above.

- Wilson Pointe Senior center - large development nearly complete, occupies former vacant lots.

- Joseph's Bar - exterior returned to original style, apartments above

- Hotel Onesto - Luxury Condos

- Former Canton YMCA - Will be renovated as apartments

- Former boardwalk nightclub - Restoration of exterior, Preservation Society thrift store.

- A few new restaurants/bars, some smaller apartments in the works.

Offline Master

• 408'-Kettering Tower
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2008, 06:14:00 PM »
Sounds like something is happening. One or two big projects might set things off.

Offline ink

• UO Supporting Moderator
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2009, 09:18:09 AM »
From the Canton Rep:
Despite delays, Onesto project still on track for fall completion
Onesto restoration project in Canton
By Ed Balint

CANTON — The stunning crystal chandelier. That’s what folks first noticed when walking into the Hotel Onesto back in its heyday.

“It was beautiful,” said Estella Brown, 72, referring to the opulence of the entire lobby. “Just when you walked in there you thought you were in another place. That lobby was something else.”

During the 1950s, she operated the elevator at the Onesto. Besides the chandelier, paintings adorned the lobby area. Columns, arched windows, ornate plaster work and ceilings created by Italian craftsmen added other flourishes.

http://www.cantonrep.com/communities/canton/x743976807/Despite-delays-Onesto-project-still-on-track-for-fall-completion
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 12:49:01 PM by Sherman Cahal »

Offline seicer

• Premium Member
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2009, 09:32:09 AM »
Former Louisville middle school to be razed
By Malcolm Hall, CantonRep, May 12, 2009

LOUISVILLE — A prominent downtown structure last known as this city’s middle school will disappear in a matter of months, concluding an 87-year presence.

A casualty of time and computer-age education, the three-level structure has become a growing maintenance burden to the Louisville Board of Education, which has authorized demolition.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 12:38:10 PM by Sherman Cahal »

Offline mkeller234

« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2009, 01:19:06 AM »
Does anyone here know what is going on with the Hotel Onesto project in Canton?  There have not been any visible signs of progress this summer, at least not that I have noticed.  The sign advertising the apartments has been taken down too.

Offline mkeller234

« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2009, 05:02:44 AM »
Does anyone here know what is going on with the Hotel Onesto project in Canton?  There have not been any visible signs of progress this summer, at least not that I have noticed.  The sign advertising the apartments has been taken down too.

Bump question

Offline yanni_gogolak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2009, 07:28:12 AM »

Bump question

As of July 1 it seems to still be on.  Steve Coon is restoring it. I believe he owns Coon Caulking, a major historical restoration contractor (they did / are completing the Terminal Tower).

http://www.cantonrep.com/homepage/x135736198/Bar-where-McKinley-tried-case-sold-at-auction

Offline mkeller234

« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2010, 02:04:30 AM »
It looks like the Hercules factory project is getting a shot in the arm.  Construction is set to start again this summer.

http://www.cantonrep.com/news/business/x562885989/Hercules-site-to-get-fed-financing-boost

By Kelli Young
Posted Jan 27, 2010 @ 10:43 PM
CANTON —
Construction at the Hercules Engine Co. site will be restarted. A local hospital will build a new medical center in Jackson Township.

And a proposed equestrian show arena at the Stark County Fairgrounds will come closer to its fundraising goal.

Each of the projects got a financial boost Wednesday as county commissioners agreed to finance them with nearly $28 million worth of economic-stimulus bonds issued through the federal American Recovery and Reinvestment Act.

Offline Gramarye

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2010, 04:09:34 PM »
Unfortunately, I just learned today that about a month ago, my favorite restaurant in Canton--Blue Olive--closed its doors.  I went there about a week ago and found it closed, but didn't know that it had closed for good. :-(

Offline yanni_gogolak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2010, 02:31:46 PM »
Unfortunately, I just learned today that about a month ago, my favorite restaurant in Canton--Blue Olive--closed its doors.  I went there about a week ago and found it closed, but didn't know that it had closed for good. :-(

I had not heard that.  Had been meaning to get there too.  Also, Fideli's closed.  They might be owned by the same person.

Offline mkeller234

« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2010, 05:31:03 PM »

I was under the impression that the owner of Fedeli's was going to reopen... with a less expensive menu and possibly a new name.  Blue Olive didn't just close, they were thrown out for not paying their rent.

Little Chicago is long gone and the new Brownstone steak house is in it's place.  I will be interested to see how they do... I wonder how many people buy the Kobe beef?
I had not heard that.  Had been meaning to get there too.  Also, Fideli's closed.  They might be owned by the same person.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 05:31:56 PM by mkeller234 »

Offline yanni_gogolak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2010, 01:35:04 PM »
Canton shrine set for major expansion

Hall of fame expecting $23.6 million addition to be finished in 2013

By Kathy Antoniotti
Beacon Journal staff writer

Canton's Pro Football Hall of Fame will announce on Friday the largest expansion and renovation in the hall of fame's history.

The ''Future 50 Project'' includes plans for a $23.6 million expansion, expected to be completed in 2013. The planned opening will coincide with the hall's 50th anniversary.

http://www.ohio.com/news/111581424.html
« Last Edit: December 10, 2010, 01:35:15 PM by yanni_gogolak »

Offline MuRrAy HiLL

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2011, 03:31:19 AM »
South of Canton is the small city of Dover.  There's talk of abandoning their old high school...located downtown on Fifth St, and built in 1915 with a 1938 addition.

The State's current policy is very anti-urban and anti-rehab.  Ohio is offering Dover $9 million if they build new high school...and right now t on a property on the nothern outskirts of town which is currently farmland.

BUT....Why can't they offer the same money to rehab the existing, centrally-located structure??  The school creates life on the streets down there.

http://www.timesreporter.com/communities/x128432705/More-plans-revealed-for-Dover-High-project

“Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood. " -- Daniel Burnham

Offline yanni_gogolak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2011, 11:38:55 AM »
South of Canton is the small city of Dover.  There's talk of abandoning their old high school...located downtown on Fifth St, and built in 1915 with a 1938 addition.

The State's current policy is very anti-urban and anti-rehab.  Ohio is offering Dover $9 million if they build new high school...and right now t on a property on the nothern outskirts of town which is currently farmland.

BUT....Why can't they offer the same money to rehab the existing, centrally-located structure??  The school creates life on the streets down there.

http://www.timesreporter.com/communities/x128432705/More-plans-revealed-for-Dover-High-project

Usually renovating buildings that old can be more costly than building new. Also, the OSFC seems to be very heavily handed when it comes to building new as opposed to preservation. Take a look at what happened in Akron.

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2011, 08:22:21 AM »
Cross-posted from the Marcellus/Utica thread. A lot of this is being driven by the Marcellus/Utica shale gas and oil exploitation......

Timken Co. ponders $225 million investment in Canton's Faircrest Steel Plant
8:14 am, August 25, 2011

Timken Co. (NYSE: TKR) said it is considering an investment of $225 million at its Faircrest Steel Plant in Canton that would increase capacity and expand the product range of Timken alloy steel bars.

The maker of bearings and steel said a ladle refiner and a new large-bloom continuous caster would be central to the investment, targeted to begin production in 2014.

Timken said a team charged with developing a plan for moving the project forward is beginning discussions with suppliers and government officials. In addition, company representatives plan to engage the United Steelworkers on the labor agreement that covers the plant.

READ MORE AT:
http://www.crainscleveland.com/article/20110825/FREE/110829917
"Greater Cleveland is last in the country in number of jobs accessible in typical commute distance, creating a huge drag on economy and more air & water pollution."-- Vibrant NEO

Offline audidave

• 771'-Terminal Tower
  • Akron skyline
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2011, 12:23:21 PM »
Tilted Kilt in Canton is having its Grand Opening this week.  I'm told it is in a former Chi-Chis in Belden Village.  Its a fairly nice looking facility but I wasn't really looking at that for their invite-only opening.  There is another location in Ohio at Polaris.  To me the theme is if Hooters and an upscale Irish bar merged.   

Was at Zar's grand opening on Friday.  I really can't see how that is going to work unless more couches are brought downstairs, the lighting not made so bright, and the view from outside not so easy to see how few people are inside.  When it is open at 7-8pm it is like a fishbowl of emptiness. Bright white sodium lights gleaming off the glossy gray floor is easily seen from the outside.  The VIP area is upstairs and that is darker and a lot more inviting.  But that makes it worse if the only people that are there are upstairs, then who will want to come in to a massive empty space with electronic music being blasted at you.    The concept could work better in the summertime with being able to be outside and the massive bar windows open and sit at the bar ala Vegiteranean had.  Maybe I'm wrong and the Barley House crowd will feel this is a second home for them through the winter..   

Offline yanni_gogolak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2012, 12:15:12 PM »
Church plans world headquarters in Wadsworth

By Colette M. Jenkins
Beacon Journal staff writer

WADSWORTH: The Restored Church of God is working on plans for a six-building complex to house its world headquarters on Ambassador Drive, west of the Giant Eagle store.

Representatives from the church presented formal plans for the project at the city of Wadsworth’s Planning Commission meeting Monday. The commission granted some variances, approved the division of the parcel into two lots and suggested some minor revisions. It did not grant approval of the project, pending review the church’s traffic impact study.

http://www.ohio.com/news/church-plans-world-headquarters-in-wadsworth-1.256837
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 12:16:03 PM by yanni_gogolak »

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2012, 12:35:07 PM »
Once you get out of Ohio's largest metros, it truly is a different world amongst the Children of the Corn...
"Greater Cleveland is last in the country in number of jobs accessible in typical commute distance, creating a huge drag on economy and more air & water pollution."-- Vibrant NEO

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2012, 09:02:40 PM »
Timken contract is vital to Stark County’s economic future
Repository Editorial
Posted Feb 15, 2012 @ 01:35 PM

The Stark Development Board, and all the companies that invest in our organization, are hopeful that a new labor agreement between The Timken Co. and the members of Local 1123 Golden Lodge of the Steel Workers will be ratified when the members of the union vote on a new contract Feb. 21.

At stake is the potential loss of a $225 million investment by The Timken Company to upgrade its Faircrest Steel Plant in Perry Township. This investment would expand the company’s product range and strengthen the competitiveness of Timken alloy steel, particularly in the heavy equipment and energy sectors.

In our view, Stark County residents and businesses alike should take note that since 2006, The Timken Co. has invested more than $200 million in its steel operations in Stark County, not including its proposed $225 million for the Faircrest Steel Plant. In February 2011, the company announced a $35 million investment in a high-volume in-line forge press at the Faircrest rolling mill. That announcement followed $50 million in capital improvements the company made at its Harrison and Gambrinus steel plants in 2010.

READ MORE AT:
http://www.cantonrep.com/opinion/letters/x1341781211/Timken-contract-is-vital-to-Stark-County-s-economic-future
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 09:45:35 PM by KJP »

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2012, 09:47:45 PM »
Stark State may get $10 million for downtown Canton project
By Lisa Reicosky
Posted Feb 16, 2012 @ 06:01 PM
Last update Feb 17, 2012 @ 12:26 PM

The area’s shale oil and gas industry boom is creating educational opportunities.

Jackson Township-based Stark State College is slated to receive $10 million in state funds to create a downtown campus and energy center in Canton. It would serve the education and training needs of the emerging oil and gas industry and serve students and companies in Stark and surrounding counties.

The award is expected to be part of the state’s $400 million biennial capital budget for higher education that will be submitted to the Ohio legislature for final approval.

READ MORE AT:
http://www.cantonrep.com/news/x1353875947/Stark-State-gets-10-million-for-downtown-Canton-project

Offline mkeller234

« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2012, 07:24:35 AM »
Thanks for splitting Canton from Akron.

I posted this a while back and figured I would update:

FINISHED! - Old Cadillac garage - converted to photography studio/gallery below with private residence above.

FINISHED! - Wilson Pointe Senior center - large development nearly complete, occupies former vacant lots.

FINISHED! Although now it is "Thatsa Wrap" - Joseph's Bar - exterior returned to original style, apartments above

Visible progress as of 2-19-12, all upper floor windows have been removed and are now plywood - Hotel Onesto - Luxury Condos

Nothing happening, I doubt this has legs - Former Canton YMCA - Will be renovated as apartments

Still making slow progess.  The thrift store is still operating. -  Former boardwalk nightclub - Restoration of exterior, Preservation Society thrift store.

- A few new restaurants/bars, some smaller apartments in the works.

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2012, 10:33:16 AM »
mkeller234, you're welcome. I split it off to encourage more Canton-area postings. Please help make that happen.

Offline Hts121

• UO Supporting Member
  • It's still just like your opinion, man
« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2012, 09:36:09 AM »
Timken contract was overwhelmingly approved by the union.  The $225m expansion is going forward.
Your true friends will help you up when someone knocks you down.  Your best friend will say "Stay down, I got this."

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2012, 12:21:54 PM »
Canton Timken workers overwhelmingly adopt new contract; $225 million expansion on the way
Published: Tuesday, February 21, 2012, 9:45 PM     Updated: Wednesday, February 22, 2012, 7:25 AM
  By Robert Schoenberger, The Plain Dealer

CANTON, Ohio -- Timken workers overwhelmingly approved a contract Tuesday with the industrial equipment maker, clearing the way for a $225 million expansion of a steel plant.

After rejecting a similar deal last month, United Steelworkers Local 1123 approved the new contract, 1,520-260. The new contract runs through 2017.

"It's better than the last one," said Leroy Sword, a newly hired worker.

READ MORE AT:
http://www.cleveland.com/business/index.ssf/2012/02/canton_timken_workers_overwhel.html

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2012, 08:42:39 AM »
Cross-posted from the Marcellus-Utica thread......

Baker Huges to hire 700 people in Massillon, invest $64 million to serve shale gas industry
Published: Monday, February 27, 2012, 10:00 PM

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Baker Hughes, one of the nation's leading oilfield services companies, plans to build a 700-job regional headquarters in Massillon.

The Massillon office would serve as the company's base for providing services to shale gas exploration companies in Ohio, Pennsylvania and surrounding states.

The Ohio Tax Credit Authority on Monday approved a 65 percent tax credit for the $64 million project. The state also approved several other Northeast Ohio business expansions at its regular monthly meeting. Calls to Baker were not immediately returned late Monday, but the company has been hinting at plans to build in this area for some time.

READ MORE AT:
http://www.cleveland.com/shalegas/index.ssf/2012/02/baker_huges_to_hire_700_people.html

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2012, 10:28:20 PM »
Good news above, bad news below.... This is going to hurt downtown Canton, which is already becoming little more than a few historic buildings surrounded by seas of surface parking. Most of you will probably puke if you see the new building's rendering at the link below. Why do so many Ohioans hate their cities so much when so many other cities around the nation and world are urbanizing?

Timken to expand office by Akron-Canton airport; move workers from downtown Canton
Published: Tuesday, February 28, 2012, 11:13 AM     Updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2012, 12:02 PM

CLEVLEAND, Ohio -- The Timken Co. plans to build a new $42 million office complex adjacent to its existing research and development facilities near the Akron-Canton Regional Airport.

When completed toward the end of next year, Timken will move 500 workers from a building in leases in downtown Canton to the new office complex, doubling the number of workers it will have at the airport-area complex.

The Canton-based industrial equipment and steel supplier said moving some of its sales, marketing and customer service employees to the new facility should allow for more collaboration with engineers and researchers.

READ MORE AT:
http://www.cleveland.com/business/index.ssf/2012/02/timken_to_expand_office_by_akr.html

Offline yanni_gogolak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: February 29, 2012, 08:25:47 AM »
/\/\/\
I don't understand why these manufacturing corporations accept these facility designs that area poor replicas of poor 70's design. Look at this rendering, what Goodyear is building, First Energy's new office, etc... They all look like they were designed by a builder (no offense to the 5% of builders that understand good design).

Offline mkeller234

« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2012, 05:14:53 AM »
A few Canton developments:

1.) The downtown Canton YMCA will be demolished this year and replaced with a new, smaller structure.  It will be called the "Eric Snow YMCA".  The new structure is pretty disappointing, more fitting of the suburbs.  Mr. Snow generously donated $1 million dollars towards the new building.  I am sad to see the old building go.

2.) Crystal Park Hardware has closed it's doors for good.  It was dubbed as Canton's oldest.  I shopped there many times and I am REALLY going to miss that place.

3.) A new bar called "Sports Therapy" has opened in the former downtown Burger King.  Yes, that sounds awful....and it sort of is, but it did turn out much nicer than anyone would expect.

4.) The former Canton Steam Power Plant now has a tenant, an artist.  The building is owned by Steve Coon and serves mainly as a storage are for his restoration company.  Apparently Thomas Edison was involved in the design of the building.  It is also rumored that Al Capone may have dumped some bodies in the deep wells through the years.

5.) The Football Hall of Fame expansion is moving forward at a quick pace.  I need to swing by and take some photos next time I take my bicycle out that way.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 05:16:44 AM by mkeller234 »

Offline yanni_gogolak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2012, 04:03:05 PM »

1.) The downtown Canton YMCA will be demolished this year and replaced with a new, smaller structure.  It will be called the "Eric Snow YMCA".  The new structure is pretty disappointing, more fitting of the suburbs.  Mr. Snow generously donated $1 million dollars towards the new building.  I am sad to see the old building go.

What makes you say it's more fitting for the burbs? Only thing I would argue is that it appears to be set back from the street. Otherwise, I don't mind it. I'm not familiar with the old building though.

Funny coincidence: The YMCA program director's name is Mike Brown, to add to Eric Snow donating money for it.

Offline mkeller234

« Reply #42 on: March 13, 2012, 12:30:38 AM »

What makes you say it's more fitting for the burbs? Only thing I would argue is that it appears to be set back from the street. Otherwise, I don't mind it. I'm not familiar with the old building though.

Yes, I don't like the way it is set back from the street.  The overall site plan includes a sea of parking lots.... something that area already has a lot of.  It's just a shame to lose the old building... but I do understand that it's needed.  At one point Steve Coon said he wanted to buy the old YMCA, but that never came to be.  Coon Restoration has been working on the Onesto Hotel for a very long time, I imagine that they don't want to take on too much more.

Here is the google maps view of the old YMCA building.  It had an unfortunate makeover at one point that removed it's original roofline details.

Picture 1 by mkeller234, on Flickr

I never thought of the Mike Brown thing, but that is pretty funny stuff.

Offline mkeller234

« Reply #43 on: March 18, 2012, 11:28:57 PM »
Hall of Fame getting a facelift for the future

By Todd Porter

CANTON —
There is dirt and mud. Plywood and two-by-fours. These aren’t the makings of the history of football.  They are making the future of the Pro Football Hall of Fame.  It is obvious when one drives past the Hall that Stark County’s iconic building is undergoing its biggest facelift since it originally was built in 1963.

http://www.cantonrep.com/sports/hall_of_fame/x872946809/Hall-of-Fame-getting-a-facelift-for-the-future

Offline mkeller234

« Reply #44 on: March 18, 2012, 11:31:10 PM »
Don't miss the great photo gallery and video that the Canton Repository put together:

http://www.cantonrep.com/photos/x872946432/Photo-Gallery-Pro-Football-HOF-Construction-Tour

Offline mkeller234

« Reply #45 on: March 22, 2012, 06:48:02 PM »
Cross Posted with the Hall of fame thread:

I rode past the HOF today to take some exterior photos of the project.  They are really humming along, the exterior should look pretty decent for the next Induction ceremony.  The overall look is a lot less dramatic than I expected.  The decorative piece above the main entrance was really scaled down, at the moment I think it looks odd.  Even so, the expansion is a major improvement on what it used to look like.

DSC05384 by mkeller234, on Flickr

DSC05380 by mkeller234, on Flickr

DSC05391 by mkeller234, on Flickr

DSC05400 by mkeller234, on Flickr

Panorama:

DSC05390 by mkeller234, on Flickr

DSC05398 by mkeller234, on Flickr

DSC05396 by mkeller234, on Flickr

DSC05401 by mkeller234, on Flickr

DSC05403 by mkeller234, on Flickr

DSC05406 by mkeller234, on Flickr

DSC05408 by mkeller234, on Flickr

DSC05414 by mkeller234, on Flickr

DSC05416 by mkeller234, on Flickr

Last year they cleaned up all of the copper on the original part of the building.  It had mostly turned completely black.

DSC05418 by mkeller234, on Flickr

Bonus Picture:
The remains of the Timken Mansion, which was donated to The Sisters of Mercy.  The landmark Stables and gatehouse were all part of this property.

DSC05421 by mkeller234, on Flickr

Offline JRC

« Reply #46 on: March 22, 2012, 07:44:35 PM »
Thanks for the pics!  I never cared for the original building, so I'm glad to see that the new addition kinda gives you more to look at. :)

I saw this on facebook yesterday, but didn't think to post it here.

City seeking buyer for 59 Duncan Place, moving on foreclosure
By Matthew Rink
IndeOnline.com staff writer
Posted Mar 20, 2012 @ 11:48 PM

MASSILLON —

Buyers may be lining up to eventually bid on the troubled 59 Duncan Place apartments, which the city is foreclosing on in an effort to recoup an unpaid loan given to developers.

Mayor Kathy Catazaro-Perry confirmed Tuesday that additional entities and individuals have expressed interest in the 66-unit, nine-story property at 59 Lincoln Way E.

More: http://www.indeonline.com/news/x1704640899/City-seeking-buyer-for-59-Duncan-Place-moving-on-foreclosure

And, in response to your March 12 post, I see that Demmer's Hardware in Massillon (open since 1917) will also be closing. :(

Offline mkeller234

« Reply #47 on: March 23, 2012, 01:56:25 AM »
^ Wow, I did not know that building was being foreclosed on!  I also didn't know that it was apartments for seniors.  Is it nice at all?

Stark Parks has been busy adding some wonderful trails.  At the moment they are mostly short, isolated segments but they will eventually start connecting the dots.  I rode the brand new Middle Branch trail two days ago and was really pleased with it.  The trail starts near my house, runs through a playground/picnic area and continues through Gervasi Vineyard.  I was so impressed that I wrote an email to StarkParks to let them know what a nice job they did.  There will be an official grand opening on June 2nd after they finish some small parts of the trail and create signs.

Here are some pictures from that ride:

DSC05327 by mkeller234, on Flickr

DSC05326 by mkeller234, on Flickr

DSC05331 by mkeller234, on Flickr

This new fence smelled amazing:

DSC05332 by mkeller234, on Flickr

The new Villas at Gervasi Vineyard.  Gervasi deserves a thread of it's own, it's pretty amazing.

DSC05346 by mkeller234, on Flickr

[
DSC05355 by mkeller234, on Flickr

DSC05356 by mkeller234, on Flickr

DSC05361 by mkeller234, on Flickr

DSC05362 by mkeller234, on Flickr

DSC05364 by mkeller234, on Flickr

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #48 on: March 23, 2012, 07:58:17 AM »
Awesome pics! I especially liked that third photo.

Offline mkeller234

« Reply #49 on: March 23, 2012, 08:48:15 AM »
Thanks!  The third photo was actually taken in motion.

Offline yanni_gogolak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #50 on: March 26, 2012, 11:33:30 AM »
The HOF addition doesn't do much for me. Maybe it will look better when done.

Offline JRC

« Reply #51 on: March 26, 2012, 12:04:29 PM »
^ Wow, I did not know that building was being foreclosed on!  I also didn't know that it was apartments for seniors.  Is it nice at all?

I don't know if the apartments are nice, or not.  I wonder if whoever buys the building will keep it senior housing?  Back when the project was completed, in the mid-90's, downtown living was still a novelty outside of the big cities, and senior housing was probably seen as more of a sure bet.

Before I saw the picture, this phrase made me laugh.  You don't read/hear that phrase very often. :)

Offline mkeller234

« Reply #52 on: March 27, 2012, 02:11:17 AM »
The HOF addition doesn't do much for me. Maybe it will look better when done.

I agree

Offline mkeller234

« Reply #53 on: March 27, 2012, 02:12:10 AM »

I don't know if the apartments are nice, or not.  I wonder if whoever buys the building will keep it senior housing?  Back when the project was completed, in the mid-90's, downtown living was still a novelty outside of the big cities, and senior housing was probably seen as more of a sure bet.

Before I saw the picture, this phrase made me laugh.  You don't read/hear that phrase very often. :)

Ha, yeah.  I think it's safe to safe that is also the last time I will probably ever say it.

Offline mkeller234

« Reply #54 on: March 27, 2012, 02:13:59 AM »
There was a very short blurb in the Repository, Steve Coon says he will have an announcement about the Hotel Onesto in coming weeks.  I hope it's good, I've been following that project for a good long while.

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #55 on: March 27, 2012, 10:12:14 AM »
There was a very short blurb in the Repository, Steve Coon says he will have an announcement about the Hotel Onesto in coming weeks.  I hope it's good, I've been following that project for a good long while.

Where and what is this hotel?

Offline mkeller234

« Reply #56 on: March 27, 2012, 05:09:25 PM »

Canton – Hotel Onesto (OHPTC & COAF) by Ohio Office of Redevelopment, on Flickr

The Onesto hotel is the second tallest building in downtown Canton.  It has been vacant for a very, very long time.  It received Historic tax credits from the state years ago but has been delayed by Asbestos removal and securing loans for construction.  The plan is for upscale apartments downtown, Steve Coon seems pretty determined to build a downtown population.

Here is the website for the project, it has not been updated since it was created.
http://historiconesto.com/info.html

And here is a quote from the website, with some background information about the building:

The Onesto Hotel officially opened its doors to the public on April 20, 1930. Francis A. Onesto, a young hotelier, recognized the potential in Canton, Ohio, and commissioned The H.L. Stevens Company to design and build a hotel that would rival hotels that were found in other metropolitan cities.
No expense was spared during the construction phase of the Onesto Hotel. Fireproof Pyro-Blocs were used for the main structures. The main lobby of the building features travertine marble staircases, brass hardware, travertine terrazzo flooring, American walnut wood trims, Italian Renaissance ornamental relief ceiling panels and a stunning crystal chandelier.
In 1982, the Onesto Hotel was added to the National Register of Historic Places, which marks it as a building of historic significance in American architecture and commerce.
Now, The Historic Onesto has been fully restored to create market rate housing in the heart of Canton’s downtown Historic District. The property will feature a bronze revolving door, and all of the existing features has been retained and restored for the enjoyment of its new occupants.

And finally, a great set of photos showing the building inside and out.  These are not my photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/63837784@N08/sets/72157627132553872/with/5909190691/

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #57 on: March 27, 2012, 08:33:13 PM »
Wow, that's a beauty!!

Offline mkeller234

« Reply #58 on: March 27, 2012, 08:35:47 PM »
Yeah, it's a pretty nice building.... except for the nasty appendage that was added later; "Bliss tower".  That back portion did not have a tower on it when the hotel was originally built, I believe it's the ballroom.

I toured the building about 2 years ago, after the asbestos abatement.  The upper floors were mostly empty.  The old elevator is still operational and was pretty cool to use.  There is a restaurant / bar called the Conestoga that has reopened on the ground floor recently.  It's a really nice bar with all of the original charm and great wooden details.  It's pretty surprising to me that the building still has so much of it's original features.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 08:40:16 PM by mkeller234 »

Offline JRC

« Reply #59 on: March 28, 2012, 05:15:13 PM »
Work under way at Shearer's Foods new HQ

IndeOnline.com staff report
Posted Mar 27, 2012 @ 11:46 PM

MASSILLON —

Signs of progress — whirring power tools and swirling dust — are easy to see inside the four-story Grand Mill Centre, located downtown across from the Massillon Museum, which is being renovated for Shearer’s Foods new corporate headquarters.

The 40,000-square-foot building, which was designed for multiple tenants, is being rehabbed to meet the needs of a single tenant, according to Kim Schumacher, president of Massillon-based Schumacher Construction Co., the project’s general contractor.

More: http://www.indeonline.com/communities/massillon/x221018411/Work-under-way-at-Shearers-Foods-new-HQ

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #60 on: March 28, 2012, 05:32:07 PM »
Downtown?? Awesome!!

Sounds like Massillon is following Kent's lead, with a small-town downtown pulling in a corporate HQ (or two) and building it with a traditional, pedestrian-friendly design!

http://www.indeonline.com/communities/massillon/x720909749/Shearers-move-to-city-delayed?photo=0

Offline mkeller234

« Reply #61 on: March 29, 2012, 03:13:47 PM »
So long to Esber's.  I'm not old enough that I will miss this place.  It has been around since 1928 and must have had a great local reputation at one point.  It's still sad to see a local institution fail.... although, this one was in a pretty sad state.  Somewhere along that line it seems the passion died and the meal I had there was nothing worth returning for.  Anyway, I work next door and my employer bought the lot.  Standard Printing now owns nearly all of the property on that block, all the way from Cherry to Walnut.  The only two other buildings remaining are a body shop (that Standard owns) and a small church.

Esber's Restaurant demolished

CantonRep.com staff report
Posted Mar 29, 2012 @ 08:20 AM
Last update Mar 29, 2012 @ 02:15 PM

CANTON —
It took Eslich Wrecking about three hours Thursday to demolish the 84-year-old Esber’s Restaurant & Cocktail Lounge building.

Project Manager Rich Eslich said the demolition was smooth and easy, with no nearby utility poles to worry about.

http://www.cantonrep.com/newsnow/x760608133/Esbers-Restaurant-demolition-begins-today
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 03:15:39 PM by mkeller234 »

Offline JRC

« Reply #62 on: April 12, 2012, 05:33:07 PM »
New life possible for Stone Block building

MASSILLON —

The old Stone Block building at the northeast corner of Tremont Avenue and Erie Street S could play an integral role in the city’s creation of an arts district.

“The owner of the building wants to clean it up and put it back into reuse,” Massillon Chamber of Commerce President Robert Sanderson said. “He’s got a real interest in the arts. Between the old Stone Block and the building that is up against it, where the bicycle shop was, he’s looking to bring some artists in to lease space. It’s all conceptual right now.”

More: http://www.indeonline.com/communities/massillon/x876162933/New-life-possible-for-Stone-Block-building

Offline mkeller234

« Reply #63 on: April 13, 2012, 03:09:25 PM »
Wow, talk about unrecognizable...compared with the old photo in the paper.  That is good news.

Offline JRC

« Reply #64 on: April 13, 2012, 06:27:07 PM »
^Back in college, I wrote a paper on Massillon.  The building lost its mansard roof in a fire.

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #65 on: April 24, 2012, 08:01:22 AM »
What's even more impressive is that its continuous caster will rise 180 feet above ground -- and 80 feet below ground! And this investment (like others) is more proof that major companies see the natgas boom as big and long-lasting....

Timken breaks ground on big expansion
By Katie Byard
Beacon Journal business writer

Published: April 23, 2012 - 01:30 PM | Updated: April 24, 2012 - 07:05 AM

PERRY TWP.: Timken Co. Chairman Ward J. “Tim” Timken Jr. recalled Monday that people thought the company was “a little bit nuts” to begin building the $450 million Faircrest steel plant in the early 1980s recession that gave the Rust Belt its name.

On Monday, 30 years later, the bearing and steel maker ceremoniously broke ground on a $225 million expansion to the Faircrest plant, south of Canton.

Timken’s steel business is thriving. The Canton company reported record overall sales in 2011 and is expecting higher sales and income for this year.

READ MORE AT:
http://www.ohio.com/news/break-news/timken-breaks-ground-on-big-expansion-1.302373

Offline JRC

« Reply #66 on: June 20, 2012, 05:40:09 PM »
Republic headquarters sells for $165,000

By Matthew Rink
Posted Jun 19, 2012 @ 11:19 PM
Last update Jun 19, 2012 @ 11:26 PM

MASSILLON —

Republic Steel’s former world headquarters sold at auction for $165,000 to First Street Development on Tuesday, and a company official says plans for the building and possibly the separately owned 350-acre, now-defunct steel yard behind it could be unveiled in August.

Eisenhut answered in the affirmative and without hesitation when asked if the plans would lead to significant economic development for the area. The project partially is tied to the oil-and-gas industry, but not entirely, he said. He said the company is interested in the adjoining steel yard that was not part of the auction. However, he would not provide details of the plan.

“It’s the location, not the building,” he said. “It’s the property and the location.”

More: http://www.indeonline.com/news/x448224972/Republic-headquarters-sells-for-165-000?zc_p=0

That last quote has me worried.  I like this building, even though it's somewhat isolated.  And, it sounds like they have plans to tear it down in the name of progress.

Offline Gramarye

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #67 on: June 25, 2012, 12:38:09 PM »
What's so special about this building?

Offline NEOBuckeye

• 468'-Scripps Center
« Reply #69 on: June 25, 2012, 03:11:16 PM »
^The property itself sits on the Tuscarawas River and has easy access to the State Rt. 21 and Rt. 30 interchange in Southwestern Stark County, so the location is a very good one for industrial/manufacturing use.

Offline akronurban

• 0'-Surface Lot
« Reply #70 on: June 25, 2012, 05:55:09 PM »
This building is of great historical significance as the Massillon office of Republic Steel Corp., once the 3rd largest steel company in the world. It was near here that the "Little Steel" strike of 1937 occurred where 3 workers were shot and killed by police after the company had expelled over 1000 workers because of union organizing activities. I grew up and worked there the summer after graduating from high school. Republic Steel once employed over 1/2 the entire workforce in the City of Massillon. (thank you Wikipedia!)

Offline mkeller234

« Reply #71 on: August 10, 2012, 08:03:40 PM »
I went out the other day and wasted some time downtown.  There are some new things happening that I hadn't noticed before.

The former downtown YMCA, soon to be torn down.

DSC06750 by mkeller234, on Flickr

DSC06752 by mkeller234, on Flickr

DSC06753 by mkeller234, on Flickr

The plywood in the Onesto is newish, at least there is a visible sign that something is going on.

DSC06760 by mkeller234, on Flickr

Another view, the YMCA is peeking over the top.

DSC06765 by mkeller234, on Flickr

There were some construction workers inside the Sten & Mann building. 

DSC06769 by mkeller234, on Flickr

AH!  These used to be covered with drop ceilings.

DSC06774 by mkeller234, on Flickr

My co-pilot:

DSC06775 by mkeller234, on Flickr

DSC06776 by mkeller234, on Flickr

An artist set up shop in the Canton steam power plant.  Steve Coon owns this building.

DSC06779 by mkeller234, on Flickr

DSC06787 by mkeller234, on Flickr

DSC06788 by mkeller234, on Flickr

DSC06790 by mkeller234, on Flickr
« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 09:27:00 AM by mkeller234 »

Offline mkeller234

« Reply #72 on: August 10, 2012, 08:07:57 PM »
This building is looking great these days.  Someone did a nice job.

DSC06795 by mkeller234, on Flickr

The floor lights up underneath, it looks really cool.

DSC06798 by mkeller234, on Flickr

DSC06800 by mkeller234, on Flickr

DSC06803 by mkeller234, on Flickr

DSC06806 by mkeller234, on Flickr

DSC06808 by mkeller234, on Flickr

DSC06809 by mkeller234, on Flickr

DSC06810 by mkeller234, on Flickr

Another artist studio on Rex avenue

DSC06812 by mkeller234, on Flickr

Even better.... there was a full construction crew at the house next to mine today!

DSC06815 by mkeller234, on Flickr

DSC06814 by mkeller234, on Flickr
« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 09:27:38 AM by mkeller234 »

Offline JRC

« Reply #73 on: August 12, 2012, 08:33:17 AM »
Thanks for the pics!  I've probably said this before, but even though I grew up in Stark County, we were a Massillon oriented family, and almost never went to Canton.

Offline mkeller234

« Reply #74 on: September 23, 2012, 06:01:29 PM »
The downtown YMCA is coming down soon.  I snapped a few farewell photos of it in the small Canton skyline.  Y'd ya have to go??

DSC00416 by mkeller234, on Flickr

DSC00421 by mkeller234, on Flickr

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #75 on: September 23, 2012, 09:10:39 PM »

Offline gotribe

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #76 on: September 24, 2012, 11:20:59 AM »
Is there something going in place of this building?

Offline mkeller234

« Reply #77 on: October 02, 2012, 12:22:01 PM »
Yes, a new YMCA will replace the one being torn down.  The new one is much smaller and more of a suburban design with parking lots surrounding it.

Offline yanni_gogolak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #78 on: October 09, 2012, 12:31:40 PM »
North Canton finds buyer for vacant car dealership building

By Dottie McGrew
Special to the Beacon Journal
Published: October 8, 2012 - 11:51 PM

NORTH CANTON: The former Willis Motor Co. site on North Main Street will become the new home of the North Canton YMCA Child Care Center.

The YMCA of Central Stark County purchased the long-vacant site last week for an undisclosed amount, North Canton Y Director Ben Wheeler said.

http://www.ohio.com/news/local-news/north-canton-finds-buyer-for-vacant-car-dealership-building-1.340457

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #79 on: October 12, 2012, 10:22:05 PM »
Yes, a new YMCA will replace the one being torn down.  The new one is much smaller and more of a suburban design with parking lots surrounding it.

Of course! While more cities are densifying, Ohio's cities are going in the opposite direction.

Offline mkeller234

« Reply #80 on: October 14, 2012, 10:27:56 PM »
I'm pretty bummed out about it KJP.  I do think that it's the right decision for the YMCA, I just wish it didn't involve tearing the old one down.

I took these today.  Notice the construction vehicle up on the top floor.

DSC00814 by mkeller234, on Flickr

DSC00815 by mkeller234, on Flickr

Offline ink

« Reply #81 on: October 14, 2012, 10:46:37 PM »
That is really too bad. Thanks for the pics, though.

Offline 327

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Fascinating
« Reply #82 on: October 15, 2012, 07:34:21 AM »
How did they get that bobcat up there?
Vibrate your greenspace today with Frank Jackson

Offline mkeller234

« Reply #83 on: October 15, 2012, 08:05:36 AM »
How did they get that bobcat up there?

Ha, I have no idea.... maybe a crane?  I wouldn't want to drive that around up on the destroyed 9th floor.

Offline Bryce McGovern

• New User
« Reply #84 on: November 16, 2012, 09:51:03 AM »
Yeah, it's a pretty nice building.... except for the nasty appendage that was added later; "Bliss tower".  That back portion did not have a tower on it when the hotel was originally built, I believe it's the ballroom.

I toured the building about 2 years ago, after the asbestos abatement.  The upper floors were mostly empty.  The old elevator is still operational and was pretty cool to use.  There is a restaurant / bar called the Conestoga that has reopened on the ground floor recently.  It's a really nice bar with all of the original charm and great wooden details.  It's pretty surprising to me that the building still has so much of it's original features.

Has there been any update on the Onesto? I know that they have been working on it in pieces for a while, but I have heard very little about their progress.

Offline ink

« Reply #85 on: November 16, 2012, 11:28:08 AM »
We need some updated YMCA demo pics as well.

Offline mkeller234

« Reply #86 on: November 16, 2012, 11:55:26 PM »

Has there been any update on the Onesto? I know that they have been working on it in pieces for a while, but I have heard very little about their progress.

The last update that I read about the Onesto was in a  section of the Canton repository called "boldface", on March 17.

Here is the full article:
http://www.cantonrep.com/news/business/x872943252/Bold-Face-Brownstone-vacancy-filled

And the snippet about the Onesto: 
He (Steve Coon) said there also will be good news to share on the Onesto Hotel project in four or five weeks.

“We’re going to have life back downtown, and the Onesto’s going to bring it,” Coon said. “We’re going to be alive and well downtown. You watch.”

About that same time I noticed that a lot of the windows were being replaced with ply wood.  I never saw that "good news" and it's been a little more than 5 weeks.  I have a feeling it's all about financing....I hope it's on some sort of track.

Offline mkeller234

« Reply #87 on: November 18, 2012, 10:59:09 PM »
We need some updated YMCA demo pics as well.

I grabbed my camera and went back today.  It's gone, nothing but a small pile of rubble now.

Offline NEOBuckeye

• 468'-Scripps Center
« Reply #88 on: November 28, 2012, 03:12:11 PM »
For a downtown that is trying to preserve its heritage and revitalize itself at the same time, it seems like such a major setback that the city gave the go-ahead to demo a building that contributed to its very modest skyline... only to replace it with a suburbanesque design that belongs on a generic strip mall outlot up in Belden Village. :roll:

Downtown Canton certainly benefits from having a YMCA, but it's too bad they couldn't have redeveloped the existing building for another use (offices, apartments, etc.) while building the new YMCA on one of the all too numerous parking lots nearby. Alas, shortsighted thinking and the car culture mentality prevails once again.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 03:18:18 PM by NEOBuckeye »

Offline yanni_gogolak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #89 on: December 06, 2012, 11:48:39 AM »
New factory planned in Canton Township

By Nancy Molnar
Published: December 4, 2012 - 08:46 PM

The company needs to move because its current facility at 1600 Whipple Ave. SW is not large enough for the conveyors it builds, Canton Development Director Fonda Williams said.

AmbaFlex is expected to move its 17 employees to the new building.

http://www.ohio.com/news/local-news/new-factory-planned-in-canton-township-1.355327

Offline Mendo

• 771'-Terminal Tower
« Reply #90 on: December 06, 2012, 12:20:30 PM »
I guess expanding their current facility is out of the question? I think this is the industrial park they are moving to. Undeveloped, former farmland about 15 minutes southwest from downtown.

http://www.starkcoohio.com/html/mills.html

http://www.starkcoohio.com/jpegs_lrg/mills_aerial_new.jpg

Offline yanni_gogolak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #91 on: December 07, 2012, 01:09:20 PM »
I guess expanding their current facility is out of the question? I think this is the industrial park they are moving to. Undeveloped, former farmland about 15 minutes southwest from downtown.

http://www.starkcoohio.com/html/mills.html

http://www.starkcoohio.com/jpegs_lrg/mills_aerial_new.jpg

From looking at all of the handouts and possibly more depending on employees, it seems like another one of those no brainers to relocate to a new facility.

Offline yanni_gogolak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #92 on: January 07, 2013, 08:51:15 AM »
PHOTOS: Stark State Hoists New Pedestrian Bridge Into Place

The bridge connects the 660-space student parking lot at the corner of Mega Street and Frank Avenue to the second floor of the North Academic Building
By Morgan Day

Stark State College hoisted its new $1.1 million, 80-ton pedestrian bridge into place Monday afternoon.

The bridge connects the 660-space student parking lot at the corner of Mega Street and Frank Avenue to the second floor of the North Academic Building.

http://northcanton.patch.com/articles/photos-stark-state-hoists-new-pedestrian-bridge-into-place#photo-10535824

Offline Buck1974

• 0'-Surface Lot
« Reply #93 on: January 15, 2013, 11:07:18 AM »
I disagree with some stating that Canton has a so so skyline for a city its size.  Here are some recent aerials I found of Canton.  They are copyrighted so you have to go through the link. 

http://www.aerialaspectphoto.com/shop/gallery.php?mode=gallery&id=NTAyNDkxOGE5YzE=&page=1

Canton photos very nicely from the air.  With a metro of over 400,000 though I do think Canton should have a couple more high rise buildings between 10 to 18 floors.  But like the rest of Ohio cities, the suburban nightmare is still all too prevalent.  Overall downtown Canton has vastly improved over the last 15 years.  I wish the old YMCA was renovated rather than torn down but I guess the cost of asbestos abatement made that impossible. 
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 11:22:59 AM by Buck1974 »

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #94 on: January 15, 2013, 11:18:18 AM »
An ariel?

Offline Buck1974

• 0'-Surface Lot
« Reply #95 on: January 15, 2013, 11:24:00 AM »

Offline mkeller234

« Reply #96 on: August 29, 2013, 02:36:13 AM »
Downtown Canton got it's very first bicycle lanes this month.  The lanes are on each side of Walnut Ave NE.  They run from 3rd street South, up to 12th street.  Walnut is a one way, one of the bike lanes has cyclists riding against traffic.  I think that was probably a mistake, but I am happy to see the lanes.

These lanes will tie into the greenway master plan, which should eventually connect the entire county with recreational trails.

Offline NEOBuckeye

• 468'-Scripps Center
« Reply #97 on: August 29, 2013, 11:33:55 PM »
^I recently saw the new bike lanes too on Walnut Ave and noticed that the lane running against traffic even has its own traffic light. Never seen anything quite like it. I agree, it's probably a mistake given that people around NE Ohio aren't exactly used to this sort of arrangement, but I guess we have to start somewhere, right?

Still, I think they might have been better off converting this street to two-way traffic. For that matter, I'm not sure that Downtown Canton even gets busy enough during rush hour now to warrant any one-way streets. They should convert them all over to two-way. It would do a lot to nurture a stronger sense of downtown being a safe and walkable place as well as encourage more investment and re-development.

Offline mkeller234

« Reply #98 on: August 30, 2013, 02:11:36 AM »
I tend to agree with you about the one way streets being converted into to way.  However, I like Cherry Ave as a one way.  The lights on that street are synched so well that you can hit each one without stopping.  I suppose that might not be a healthy thing for downtown.... but I enjoy it!  I wish they would do a better job with the lights on W. Tusc.  Driving down that road is much harder than it probably should be.

Offline mkeller234

« Reply #99 on: October 22, 2013, 01:30:48 AM »
This is sort of exciting news, at least to me.  Canton doesn't have a college campus like you would find in Akron or Wooster.  I realize this Stark State satellite is no comparison to the other cities, but it's a tiny start.  I think it's wonderful news.

http://www.cantonrep.com/newsnow/x1467725940/Stark-State-to-expand-in-Canton

Stark State to expand in Canton

By Edd Pritchard
Posted Oct 22, 2013 @ 12:05 AM

Stark State College will enlarge its downtown Canton footprint by building an oil and natural-gas training site on Cherry Avenue SE.

The Jackson Township-based school will install a pump jack and well head, stock tanks, a separator and other equipment on what now is a paved parking lot bounded by Cherry Avenue, Third Street, Savannah Avenue and Second Street.

The complex will be part of the Stark State Downtown Canton Satellite Center and Energy Institute. The new facility will be include a building for indoor labs in addition to the outdoor equipment.

Offline NEOBuckeye

• 468'-Scripps Center
« Reply #100 on: October 22, 2013, 02:28:42 AM »
Ugh. I'd love to see a stronger post-secondary/higher ed presence in Downtown Canton, but Shale Oil speculation training sure isn't the way to get there.

Offline mkeller234

« Reply #101 on: October 22, 2013, 05:52:33 PM »
Yeah, I do sort of agree.  However, this is taking the place of a pretty nasty looking surface parking lot.  Don't want to turn my nose up to this and hold out for the ideal situation.

Offline yanni_gogolak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #102 on: October 23, 2013, 10:52:58 AM »
Ugh. I'd love to see a stronger post-secondary/higher ed presence in Downtown Canton, but Shale Oil speculation training sure isn't the way to get there.

Stark State seems to think it is.

Offline mkeller234

« Reply #103 on: October 24, 2013, 03:33:01 AM »
NEO Buckeye, are you a Canton resident?  Not that it matters, just rare to find that on these forums.  I've been sort of the lone Cantonian.

Offline yanni_gogolak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #104 on: October 30, 2013, 08:12:29 AM »
North Canton demolishes former ‘NoCaHi’
By Dottie McGrew

NORTH CANTON: Within the next few days, little, if anything, will remain of the former North Canton High School on Charlotte Street.

Demolition began last week with interior work; walls are coming down this week.

Hoover Sideliners, the high school booster club, plans to collect the bricks and sell them to raise funds for athletic programs. The demolition site is too dangerous to allow the public to gather bricks, district Business Manager Todd Henne said.

http://www.ohio.com/news/local/north-canton-demolishes-former-nocahi-1.440905

Offline NEOBuckeye

• 468'-Scripps Center
« Reply #105 on: November 03, 2013, 01:18:39 AM »
NEO Buckeye, are you a Canton resident?  Not that it matters, just rare to find that on these forums.  I've been sort of the lone Cantonian.
Technically no. I have lived in Akron for most of my life. But since the two cities are so close, and because I have experienced so much informal overlap between them in my social and professional lives, I really feel just as much at home in Canton as I do in Akron. So maybe that makes me an "honorary" Cantonian? :-)

You are certainly right about posters from Canton being rare, though. I have been hoping to maybe see some members of the downtown arts or professional communities post here eventually. I guess it also would help if there were a more active urbanist blog scene representing the area, which doesn't yet seem to be the case.

Offline mkeller234

« Reply #106 on: November 04, 2013, 04:03:37 AM »
Honorary Cantonian will work.  I suppose I share the same comfortable feelings towards Akron.  It's probably funny to you, but Akron feels like a big city to me.  I guess it works that way when you're looking up?  Even though Akron permanently borrowed our ball club, I like the city a lot.  I also have to admit that Canal Park is a zillion times nicer that Thurman Munson Stadium could have ever dream it would be.  I wish our downtown was as in tact as Akron's too.

I always feel like it's my job to defend against any of the irrational broad strokes that most people online like to paint Canton with.  I wish I didn't feel so much like a loner.  If the day ever comes that I start seeing more positive activity, i'll figure that things are starting to take off.  I'm a cyclist and was sort of alone in that too.  Now i'm starting to see cyclists pretty frequently.  Actual commuters, not just people that cannot drive.  All of my co-workers used to assume that I had DUI problems because of my bicycle.

Offline NEOBuckeye

• 468'-Scripps Center
« Reply #107 on: November 04, 2013, 10:58:06 AM »
I think you are onto something about "looking up" based upon size, because I see Cleveland and Pittsburgh as the "big cities" in the region. Akron and Canton have always seemed more comparable to each other to me, despite the difference of about 100k people between their proper municipal definitions. At the same time, Canton has some big townships that would add substantially to its population if they were incorporated as part of the city.

As for the old Canton-Akron Indians, I do think it is unfortunate that Akron poached them from Canton, despite the benefits that they have provided at Canal Park and in Downtown Akron. Still, I'd really rather see our cities work together to help and boost each other economically than to compete against each other and rely on one-upmanship to benefit at the other's expense, even if things as they are have probably been generally more favorable for Akron. Both cities are really too small to stand alone these days. Maybe a partnership similar to what Raleigh and Durham have in NC would work? It's how the Research Triangle was born, and look at how both of those sister cities have benefitted from that collaborative effort.

At any rate, I would love to see something similar to Canal Park in Downtown Canton. I do love what is happening with the arts there though. First Fridays are as lively and fun as anything happening on any given weekend night in Downtown Akron, if not more so. Akron surprisingly does not have anything really comparable as an arts district. I mean there is Highland Square and Northside, but both are tiny and only have a few small galleries. Canton by comparison has so many layers of art and galleries throughout the formal arts district and beyond its fringes that it's really tough to see and appreciate it all in one evening. I would definitely say that Canton holds a huge edge on Akron in this regard.

Keep defending Canton, my friend. There is a lot of hope and potential still evident there, and I think the arts as well as the new bike lanes downtown will really help to pave the way towards the future. I'm doing my part to promote and defend it too.

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #108 on: November 19, 2013, 08:23:57 AM »
Heinz plans $28 million expansion in Massillon
The H.J. Heinz Co. is looking to add nearly 250 jobs in Massillon by expanding its processing facility on Oberlin Road SW
Steven M. Grazier
Posted Nov. 18, 2013 @ 11:29 pm

If money were ketchup, a whole lot of the red sauce would appear to be oozing into the city in the near future.

The H.J. Heinz Co. — a pillar in the ketchup industry — is planning a $28 million expansion to its processing facility at 1301 Oberlin Road SW, an effort that aims to add 249 local manufacturing jobs over three years, beginning next year, and retain up to 450 existing positions, according to Mayor Kathy Catazaro-Perry.

"This is a great deal for the city. We're excited (Heinz) chose us for a place to invest and grow," the mayor said Monday, noting the job retention part of the agreement was paramount.

Read more: http://www.cantonrep.com/article/20131118/NEWS/131119352#ixzz2l6KV11ga

Offline Mendo

• 771'-Terminal Tower
« Reply #109 on: November 19, 2013, 11:34:15 AM »
Heinz plans $28 million expansion in Massillon
The H.J. Heinz Co. is looking to add nearly 250 jobs in Massillon by expanding its processing facility on Oberlin Road SW
Steven M. Grazier
Posted Nov. 18, 2013 @ 11:29 pm

If money were ketchup, a whole lot of the red sauce would appear to be oozing into the city in the near future.

The H.J. Heinz Co. — a pillar in the ketchup industry — is planning a $28 million expansion to its processing facility at 1301 Oberlin Road SW, an effort that aims to add 249 local manufacturing jobs over three years, beginning next year, and retain up to 450 existing positions, according to Mayor Kathy Catazaro-Perry.

"This is a great deal for the city. We're excited (Heinz) chose us for a place to invest and grow," the mayor said Monday, noting the job retention part of the agreement was paramount.

Read more: http://www.cantonrep.com/article/20131118/NEWS/131119352#ixzz2l6KV11ga

^ Sweet. My brother works there.

Offline mkeller234

« Reply #110 on: November 20, 2013, 02:31:27 AM »
Hey, I think I know your brother.  Vasko?

Offline mkeller234

« Reply #111 on: December 11, 2013, 08:38:36 AM »
I don't have pictures, but the Onesto hotel in downtown has been showing  good visible progress.  The masonry at the base has been cleaned in spots.  They are installing windows too.  I can't tell if the are new, or just re glazed and painted.  Glad to see it happening.

Offline yanni_gogolak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #112 on: December 13, 2013, 09:30:25 AM »
I don't have pictures, but the Onesto hotel in downtown has been showing  good visible progress.  The masonry at the base has been cleaned in spots.  They are installing windows too.  I can't tell if the are new, or just re glazed and painted.  Glad to see it happening.

How is the new YMCA coming?

Offline mkeller234

« Reply #113 on: December 16, 2013, 03:07:36 AM »
I believe the YMCA is nearly ready. 

Here is an article published 3 days ago:

YMCA nearly ready to open

Jessica Holbrook
CantonRep.com business writer
Posted Dec. 12, 2013 @ 8:26 pm
Dec 12, 2013 at 11:39 PM

During a sneak peek Thursday of the YMCA that bears his name, Eric Snow picked up a basketball and took a ceremonial first shot in one of the gym's newly-hung hoops.  The ball stuck.  Snow, and a crowd of donors and YMCA staff, laughed. He jumped, knocked the ball out of the net and tried again in the second hoop. Then the third.   All three stuck.

Read more: http://www.cantonrep.com/article/20131212/NEWS/131219747/10284/NEWS#ixzz2ncua1XQg

Offline yanni_gogolak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #114 on: January 02, 2014, 09:30:48 AM »
New orthopedic center planned in Jackson Township

By Cheryl Powell
Beacon Journal medical writer
Published: December 30, 2013 - 06:34 PM

An Akron developer recently announced plans to build a 44,000-square-foot outpatient medical office and surgery center for Spectrum Orthopaedics Inc. in Jackson Township.

Signet Development Ltd. will own the facility, at the corner of Frank Avenue and Applegrove Street, and lease the building to the medical practice, according to Mark S. Corr, president and chief operating officer of Signet Enterprises. Affiliates Signet Equity Partners and Signet Capital are arranging funding for the project.

http://www.ohio.com/news/new-orthopedic-center-planned-in-jackson-township-1.456061

Offline mkeller234

« Reply #115 on: April 07, 2014, 11:51:39 AM »
There are a lot of Canton developments to go through, but the brutal winter has really kept me from updating this thread.

- The Onesto hotel is finally moving along, at a nice pace too.  Windows are going in and drywall is being hung.  The building is open for tours on the first Friday of every month now.  They have a facebook page too:  https://www.facebook.com/pages/Historic-Onesto-Lofts/277532245742631?ref=br_tf

Offline mkeller234

« Reply #116 on: July 21, 2014, 01:41:10 AM »
It's been a while since I updated, but many things have been happening in Downtown Canton this year.  There have been some new businesses opened and some added street life.  I drove through town on a Thursday night and was shocked to see a huge crowd at Buzzbin.  There has been a certain buzz that was missing despite all of the improvements over the past decade.
Some new notable businesses:
- Cultured Coffee, a new coffee shop in a previously unoccupied storefront near the arts district.
- Deli Ohio, celebrated 1 year of business and looks like they are here to stay.
- A new clothing, rummage, thrift type store opened in a previously unoccupied space.
- Grapes in a glass, a nice little wine bar
- Tapas 218, bourbon bar and fancy food
- Cork and Canvas, small plate food and wine.
- Cheese Louise - food

Some big news:
The Onesto Hotel renovation has kicked into full swing and looks to be renting it's first units this year.  I believe they now have a floor finished, or nearly so, to display on first Friday events.  This project has been hung on financing for a long, long time.  It is refreshing to see it moving toward completion!

Some REALLY big news!:
Canton Brewing Company is opening in December!  Not just some crummy little place, but a real professional looking operation.  They have shared updates on equipment, building construction and some of the work they are doing on their beers.  I've been really impressed and am personally very excited to see this one.  The building is centrally located and seating will open up to a small green space on market ave.  Again, this is the rear of a previously unused space that is located in a prime spot.

Some of the interior work:

Offline mkeller234

« Reply #117 on: July 21, 2014, 01:47:32 AM »
Some photos from the Onesto Hotel facebook page:

Offline jeremyck01

« Reply #118 on: July 21, 2014, 02:21:26 AM »
^Thanks for the updates! Looks like some cool things are happening in Canton. Nice to see.

Offline ink

« Reply #119 on: July 21, 2014, 05:47:25 AM »
Excellent updates. I was in Canton about a month ago and saw some of that, but didn't know about half. I hope the momentum continues.

Offline yanni_gogolak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #120 on: November 11, 2014, 10:46:50 AM »
Timken Co’s new, open headquarters a bump up

By Jim Mackinnon
Beacon Journal business writer
Published: November 10, 2014 - 10:31 PM

JACKSON TWP.: Timken Co.’s Chief Executive Officer, Richard Kyle, was involved in a “casual collision” early Monday inside the bearing company’s recently finished headquarters.

It was all good. There were no injuries, just an exchange of pleasantries.

Actually, so-called casual collisions — basically, informal and unexpected encounters — are an intentional consequence of the building’s design.

/\/\/\
Nice looking interiors

Offline mu2010

• Back in CLE
« Reply #121 on: November 21, 2014, 01:12:55 PM »
I am working in Canton this week and we just got lunch at Deli Ohio. What an awesome place! There actually was what appeared to be a high school class on a field trip eating while I was, and the owner of the place was speaking to them, so I got to learn all about their history and future plans. Nearly everything is local, and they are very focused on being involved with revitalization of downtown Canton. He also said that next summer, they are going to jackhammer a huge parking lot behind their building and create a urban garden/farm/park with public spaces to try to add some green space to the overly-concrete area. Just wanted to give them a shout out/recommendation. The pic I've attached is just from google streetview, but it shows the lot that will be converted, including cool "rust belt" mural.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 01:13:57 PM by mu2010 »

Offline yanni_gogolak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #122 on: November 21, 2014, 02:03:57 PM »
Nice, love that mural.

Offline NEOBuckeye

• 468'-Scripps Center
« Reply #123 on: November 25, 2014, 08:59:57 PM »
Deli Ohio is wonderful. I usually try to stop in there at least a few times a month. :-D Did not know anything about the back lot conversion to a garden, but I'm glad to see it happening. It's definitely inspiring to see people taking an active interest in Downtown Canton.

It would definitely benefit from having more green space and trees in place of some of the crumbling asphalt and concrete lots.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 09:03:17 PM by NEOBuckeye »

Offline mkeller234

« Reply #124 on: November 26, 2014, 07:53:35 PM »
Agreed, Deli Ohio is great.  We just had my sisters baby shower there last Sunday.  I think everyone was really happy with it.  The mural (which is my favorite in town) was done by Steve Ehret.  He is working on one in the former mother goosland now.  http://www.steveehret.com/

Offline yanni_gogolak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #125 on: December 01, 2014, 12:02:42 PM »
Hall of Fame Village has its own thread:
http://www.urbanohio.com/forum2/index.php/topic,29768.0.html

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #126 on: September 29, 2015, 05:37:29 PM »
Tax breaks weighed for Bliss Tower in Canton
Canton City Council on Monday discussed a potential real estate tax break for developer Steve Coon so he can turn Bliss Tower into luxury apartments.
By Alison Matas
Posted Sep. 28, 2015 at 10:22 PM

CANTON
The developer who’s seeking a tax break for a $12.5 million downtown renovation heard more kudos than questions from elected officials Monday.

Canton City Council discussed a potential tax abatement for Steve Coon so he can turn Bliss Tower, at 217 Second St. NW, into luxury apartments. Most of the conversation centered on whether Coon will use local labor on the project and on his success with the Historic Onesto Lofts.

“We really need to invest in him so he can invest in downtown,” Councilman Thomas West, D-2, said.

MORE:
http://www.cantonrep.com/article/20150928/NEWS/150929347/

Offline Mendo

• 771'-Terminal Tower
« Reply #127 on: September 29, 2015, 09:15:41 PM »
I wonder what's under the glass and metal. It would be great to see them go after historic preservation credits and restore the original facade.

Offline ink

« Reply #128 on: September 30, 2015, 06:12:22 AM »
^The glass and metal is the original facade. The Bliss Tower dates to the 60's, I believe.

Offline Mendo

• 771'-Terminal Tower
« Reply #129 on: September 30, 2015, 06:27:24 AM »
Thanks for the info.

Offline yanni_gogolak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #130 on: November 13, 2015, 07:42:12 AM »
Retailers lined up for Venue at Belden
By Edd Pritchard
CantonRep.com staff writer Follow @@epritchardREP

Posted Nov. 12, 2015 at 8:48 PM

PLAIN TWP.

If you’ve missed shopping at a local Stein Mart store, you’ll be happy to know the retailer has plans to return to Stark County next year.

It’s one of four tenants lined up for the Venue at Belden, under reconstruction on the northeast corner of Everhard Road and Whipple Avenue NW. The property is co-owned by DeVille Development and Rodney Napier, who has been using it as home to several businesses.

http://www.cantonrep.com/article/20151112/NEWS/151119712

Offline yanni_gogolak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #131 on: February 01, 2016, 08:24:44 AM »
Hoover District construction moves along despite delays
Work on the current construction phase of the Hoover District is expected to be finished by August.
By Robert Wang

Construction of 131 high-end apartments, retail stores and office space in 40,000 square feet at the Hoover District is expected to be done by August, according to a top project manager.

Carol Smith, vice president of IRG Realty Advisors, described the project’s progress:

http://www.cantonrep.com/news/20160131/hoover-district-construction-moves-along-despite-delays

Offline yanni_gogolak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #132 on: February 15, 2016, 09:34:14 AM »
New, 26,000-square-foot professional building planned in downtown Massillon
By Steven M. Grazier
Independent staff writer

A multimillion-dollar complex with the capability to board multiple business offices downtown is in the works for 2017.

MCTV owner and President Bob Gessner envisions the First North Building, a 26,000-square-foot, multiuse office facility built on an empty lot at First Street and North Avenue NE. The property is directly east of the remodeled AA Hammersmith Insurance Agency office.

http://www.cantonrep.com/news/20160212/new-26000-square-foot-professional-building-planned-in-downtown-massillon

Offline seicer

• Premium Member
« Reply #133 on: February 15, 2016, 11:29:15 AM »
Great use of this horrible lot: http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=40.79847,-81.52299&z=20&t=S , but I'm curious as to its location - so far from the center?

Offline yanni_gogolak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #134 on: June 08, 2016, 08:34:15 AM »
Moved the HOF discussion to the appropriate thread:
http://www.urbanohio.com/forum2/index.php/topic,29768.35.html

Offline yanni_gogolak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #135 on: July 11, 2016, 08:01:23 AM »
New entrance, eateries coming to Belden Village Mall
Here's a first look at its major exterior renovation.

By Jessica Holbrook

Repository staff writer

Posted Jul. 8, 2016 at 12:24 PM
Updated Jul 8, 2016 at 6:02 PM

JACKSON TWP. Belden Village Mall will soon have a new look and new restaurants.

The mall is undergoing its "first major exterior renovation since 1987" with a newly-designed north entrance, exterior work to create an updated, contemporary feel and a landscaping project, according to a news release Friday.

• Burntwood Tavern, a Chagrin-Falls based eatery, will open in early 2017 in the former Max & Erma's location. The upscale restaurant chain has seven locations in Northeast Ohio.

http://www.cantonrep.com/news/20160708/new-entrance-eateries-coming-to-belden-village-mall
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 08:01:37 AM by yanni_gogolak »

Offline yanni_gogolak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #136 on: September 19, 2016, 09:06:43 AM »
Are the Onesto lofts worth $11 million or just $1 million?
By Alison Matas Repository staff writer
Posted Sep 18, 2016 at 6:06 AM

CANTON The Historic Onesto Lofts reopened its doors nearly two years ago and hosted an event in the grand ballroom, giving the public a first glimpse at a multimillion restoration effort that spanned a decade.

A month later, a private appraiser hired by the city of Canton walked through the 13-story building and decided its new market value was close to $11 million. The renovation was almost finished, he wrote in his appraisal, and residents would begin arriving in early 2015.

http://www.cantonrep.com/news/20160918/are-onesto-lofts-worth-11-million-or-just-1-million

Offline yanni_gogolak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #137 on: October 27, 2016, 11:16:17 AM »
Fat Head's Brewery eyes Canton and Charlotte, N.C., for expansion
By Rick Armon Published: October 27, 2016

The Ohio-based brewery is eyeing a brewpub at 3885-3893 Everhard Road in a Plain Township plaza that also has an Earth Fare and is located just down the street from the Westfield Belden Village mall.

At 10,000 square feet, the brewpub would be slightly smaller than the Fat Head’s location in North Olmsted but would feature an outdoor patio. Fat Head’s also operates a brewpub in Portland, Ore., a production brewery in Middleburg Heights and a restaurant in Pittsburgh.

http://www.ohio.com/blogs/the-beer-blog/the-beer-blog-1.273124/fat-head-s-brewery-eyes-canton-and-charlotte-n-c-for-expansion-1.722634

Offline yanni_gogolak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #138 on: October 28, 2016, 07:32:47 AM »
Plant expansion turns Canton into a hub for Ball Corp.
October 22, 2016 Updated 18 hours ago
By Dan Shingler

Canton is fully living up to its name, thanks to Colorado-based Ball Corp.

Ball — known to cooks everywhere for its home-canning supplies and to food and consumer-product makers as a major packaging company — is doubling the size of its plant on Warner Road in Canton and more than quadrupling its staff to over 100.

http://www.crainscleveland.com/article/20161022/NEWS/161029994/plant-expansion-turns-canton-into-a-hub-for-ball-corp

Offline yanni_gogolak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #139 on: January 10, 2017, 09:30:19 AM »
Market Square plans taken to new heights
The new plans for the square - including the sculpture, a covered stage, a video screen, restaurant and restrooms - would cost about $9.4 million.
By Kelly Byer 
Repository staff writer

CANTON Plans to transform Market Square into an "iconic" attraction have grown considerably - along with the price tag.

Canton City Council were presented Monday with revamped designs from architects for the one-acre green space in the downtown area. To see designs, click here.

http://www.cantonrep.com/news/20170109/market-square-plans-taken-to-new-heights

WOW, this project went from about $1mil. to $9mil. +
Check out the images from the link in the article. Pretty ugly, IMO.
  LINK 
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 09:30:32 AM by yanni_gogolak »

Offline seicer

• Premium Member
« Reply #140 on: January 10, 2017, 09:44:14 AM »
Ugh. Not everything needs to be football themed - although I found the football themed power poles to be cute.

But... this is staritecture at its worst. While it is iconic and unique, it doesn't seem to serve the public.

The architects claims the interior will be hollow so people will climb a ladder to the top? I'm sure the city will jump right in on the liability insurance for that one. And who will supervise the patrons that will climb this hollow football? Will there be an observation deck at the top? And how many will do this? It's not accessible to most of the public, and certainly not to the disabled, and if the Purple People Bridge Climb is any indication, the vast majority will simply not take up the offer. It's no higher than other nearby buildings and offers no unique viewpoints.

And it will be closed in windy weather? And in the winter? You've eliminated about a third of the year.

An integrated landscape with a large gazebo, splash pad, fountains, playground and countless other ideas, replicated in other cities to great success, could work better.

Offline audidave

• 771'-Terminal Tower
  • Akron skyline
« Reply #141 on: January 10, 2017, 09:48:34 AM »
It has more of a "Huh?" effect on me. So they are going to build a 160ft shower in the grassy square. Are people in Canton trying to get wet before they go into a restaurant? Just because it will look pretty for stupid promotional flyers of Canton doesn't mean it should be moved forward. i would suggest they have a firehose shoot straight up on the square and see if that is good enough or see how long that amuses people. That would save $9 million. You're welcome, Canton.

Offline yanni_gogolak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #142 on: January 11, 2017, 01:38:35 PM »
Ha, yes, I agree with both comments.

@Sherman Cahal: An integrated landscape with a large gazebo, splash pad, fountains, playground and countless other ideas, replicated in other cities to great success, could work better.

Right, and they had exactly that with the first design that was only $1mil. I think it's more functional as well.

Offline yanni_gogolak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #143 on: March 20, 2017, 10:06:07 AM »
Hercules development could give Canton more strength
 Posted Mar 19, 2017 at 12:30 PM
By Charita Goshay

Because Hercules is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, it was eligible for Federal Historic Preservation Tax Incentive program, which provides a 20-percent credit for restoring buildings that meet the criteria. The Hercules site has been occupied since the 1870s. One of its earliest occupants was Cornelius Aultman's "thresher" company, Timken said. Current buildings range from the 1900s to the 1940s. The last occupant was Hercules Engines, which opened in 1915 and closed in 1999.

http://www.cantonrep.com/special/20170319/hercules-development-could-give-canton-more-strength

Remove Ads