Author Topic: Canton-Massillon: Random Development News & Info  (Read 57295 times)

Offline buildingcincinnati

• aka grasscat
  • 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Building Cincinnati isn't a job, it's a lifestyle
    • Building Cincinnati
Canton-Massillon: Random Development News & Info
« on: May 14, 2007, 06:50:10 PM »
From the 5/14/07 Wooster Daily Record:

Planners approve Orrville project
Developers will seek federal funds for Orchard Glen

By BOBBY WARREN
Staff Writer

WOOSTER -- Thirty-two working class families with a desire to purchase their own homes in Orrville might have their dreams realized if a development company can secure federal funding.

David Cooper and Ian Maute of Woda Development cleared one hurdle for the company's Orchard Glen project on Hostetler Road when the Wayne County Planning Commission gave its clearance for the subdivision Wednesday. Woda representatives tried to get the plan off the ground last year but were not successful.

In June, the developers will apply for federal funding and tax credits totaling $11.9 million to finance the project. They should have an answer by August. If the financing is secured, the homes will be offered to families who make between 25-60 percent of the area median gross income. The rents are expected to be between $435-$710...

http://www.the-daily-record.com/news/article/1996892
« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 03:12:21 PM by ColDayMan »
THE ColDayMan's sig solidifies my status as a UO Hall of Famer.

• aka grasscat
  • 2717'-Burj Khalifa
    • Building Cincinnati
Re: Canton-Massillon: Random Development News & Info
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2007, 12:53:44 AM »
From the 6/5/07 Massillon Independent:

Land rezoning approved for Northwood homes
By MATTHEW RINK
Matthew.Rink@IndeOnline.com

A housing development unique to Massillon jumped one hurdle Monday, as City Council approved rezoning land in the city’s downtown for its construction.

Rick Hall and Sharon Hodgson of Northwood Development want to build a dozen two- and three-story townhouse homes on a 0.76-acre tract bound by Federal and North avenues to the north and south and by Third and Fourth streets Northeast to the east and west.

The homes will be built in the brownstone-style architecture popularized in cities like Boston...

http://www.indeonline.com/index.php?ID=17150&r=2&Category=3
« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 09:01:25 AM by McCleveland »

• aka grasscat
  • 2717'-Burj Khalifa
    • Building Cincinnati
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2007, 01:40:31 AM »
From the 6/12/07 Canton Repository:

Developer receives zone change despite opposition
By FELLICIA SMITH
REPOSITORY STAFF WRITER

JACKSON TWP. When Township Trustee Bill Burger voted to adopt the Zoning Commission's recommendation to rezone land on the northeast corner of Portage Street and Lutz Avenue NW, his vote outweighed the rejection by the other two trustees.

Essentially Burger's vote changed the zoning for the 28 acres of land from rural residential to R-3, which will allow Akron based developer David Hart to build 51 single-family homes on smaller lots.

"The way the township has developed, I see there is a need for this," Burger said...

http://www.cantonrep.com/index.php?Category=9&ID=359461&r=13&subCategoryID=
« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 09:01:50 AM by McCleveland »

• aka grasscat
  • 2717'-Burj Khalifa
    • Building Cincinnati
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2007, 11:54:12 PM »
From the 7/3/07 Alliance Review:

New college housing nearly ready for students
By STEPHANIE UJHELYI
The Review

"If you build it, they will come."

Although this is an overused quote from the motion picture "Field of Dreams," this was the mentality behind Mount Union College's new $8 million housing complexes.

Blaine Lewis, director of the physical plant, said it was a "leap of faith," but it appears to be one that has paid off. The units in both new housing projects, which are set to open in August at separate sites on Union Avenue and Hartshorn Street, already have been reserved.

While traditional residence hall housing provides two-person bedrooms in a complex sharing a common bathroom on each floor, these new housing accommodations are earmarked for juniors and seniors and provide more independent living...

http://www.the-review.com/news/article/2211232
« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 09:08:48 AM by McCleveland »

• aka grasscat
  • 2717'-Burj Khalifa
    • Building Cincinnati
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2007, 11:56:48 PM »
From the 7/4/07 Canton Repository:

Home sales in Stark buck trend

Pending sales of existing homes in Stark County haven’t followed the drooping national trend.

The National Association of Realtors said Tuesday that pending sales dropped to their lowest level in almost six years, demonstrating the persistence of the housing slump.

The 3.5 percent decline in May, compared with the previous month, follows a drop of 3.4 percent in April and a 4.5 percent dip in March. It leaves the National Association of Realtors’ index at its lowest point since September 2001...

http://www.cantonrep.com/index.php?ID=363182
« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 09:09:21 AM by McCleveland »

Offline 13

• 0'-Surface Lot
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2007, 08:43:13 AM »
Attorneys partner to restore building
Tuesday, July 17, 2007
By ED BALINT
REPOSITORY STAFF WRITER 

CANTON Eugene Cazantzes admits he has dueling emotions about renovating the building at Fifth Street NE and Market Avenue N.

Cazantzes, a member of F.L.I.P. (Four Lawyers in Partnership), feels as if he's jumping off a cliff. But he's also excited.

The partnership includes Rick Pitinii, Anthony Koukoutas and Holly Davies, all Canton attorneys with offices downtown. The group is taking its first stab at a downtown project.

Each member of the group is an equal partner, he said. It's not a one-person project, he emphasized.

"I think the instant we saw it, it was love at first sight," Cazantzes said, smiling. "We just had to see how much it cost - love can be expensive.

more at: http://www.cantonrep.com/
« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 09:11:05 AM by McCleveland »

Offline mrnyc

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
    • friends of the highline
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2007, 12:57:16 PM »
does anyone know what is going on here in downtown canton? i took the pic in july. thx if you know:

"That whole rural thing. It's a joke." Ed Koch

Offline buckeye1

• Premium Member
  • UO Certified "Thread Cleaner"
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2007, 11:10:55 PM »
Developer: Hoover deal almost wrapped up
Tuesday, December 4, 2007
By G. PATRICK KELLEY
REPOSITORY BUSINESS EDITOR
and Edd Pritchard
REPOSITORY STAFF WRITER

NORTH CANTON California developer Stuart Lichter said his company is close to finalizing a deal to purchase the Hoover property downtown.
Post edited 9-4-09 to comply with terms of use
http://cantonrep.com/index.php?ID=389889&r=0&Category=9&subCategoryID=0
« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 07:38:59 PM by buckeye1 »

Offline Master

• 408'-Kettering Tower
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2008, 05:36:38 PM »
New convention center planned for Canton

Vic Gideon   3/20/2008 11:35:20 AM

CANTON -- Canton Mayor William Healy has announced plans for a convention center with retail, residential, and office space just south of downtown.
The $178 million project will sit on the site of the former Hercules Engine Plant, which spans 26 acres.

Healy expects the project to create hundreds of new jobs and give the area a shot in the arm.

"This is an opportunity for us to have some new life, new growth in the community. It's not just the project but what it represents, a turnaround."

The Ohio Department of Development/Ohio Historical Preservation Tax Credit has provided significant funding for the project.

Hercules closed almost 10 years ago and there are currently other tenants in the space.

The city says it will help those tenants relocate in the city.

The project could open by 2010.

more at:  http://www.cantonrep.com
« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 09:14:26 AM by McCleveland »

Offline seicer

• Premium Member
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2008, 03:02:37 PM »
Federal center project in Canton slated to start in spring
Developer chosen for downtown federal center
The Repository, October 30, 2008

CANTON A developer has been selected for the federal center project in downtown Canton, and work is scheduled to begin in the spring.

Fedcar Co. has been chosen by the U.S. General Services Administration. A 45,000-square-foot federal complex will be constructed on a 4.5-acre site at McKinley Avenue and Third Street SW, according to a news release from the general services administration. Occupants will include offices of the U.S. Bankruptcy Court, U.S. Marshals Service, U.S. Trustee Program, Internal Revenue Service and the Social Security Administration..
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 12:46:03 PM by Sherman Cahal »

Offline mkeller234

• 629'-Rhodes State Tower
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2008, 03:02:29 AM »
Some Canton developments today.  Ground breaking for the new federal building finally happened after a few delays.

http://www.cantonrep.com/archive/x1049853482/Regula-praised-as-officials-break-ground-for-new-federal-building
By Edd Pritchard
CantonRep.com staff writer
Posted Dec 11, 2008 @ 11:20 AM
Last update Dec 12, 2008 @ 12:50 AM

CANTON — They kept trying to give him credit for downtown’s newest project, but U.S. Rep. Ralph Regula insisted that he had a lot of help.

“This is a product of teamwork,” Regula told the crowd gathered for the official groundbreaking of the city’s new federal building.

The U.S. General Services Administration — the federal government’s real-estate manager — will lease the building, which will go up at the corner of McKinley Avenue and Third Street SW.

The new facility will cost about $14 million and replace the 76-year-old Frank T. Bow Federal Building a block east of the site. The U.S. Bankruptcy Court and clerk’s office, U.S. Trustee program, U.S. Marshal’s service, Social Security Administration and Internal Revenue Service will occupy parts of the 45,000-square-foot complex.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 12:47:48 PM by Sherman Cahal »

Offline mkeller234

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2008, 03:19:07 AM »
This is where the new Canton Federal building is going to be built.  It is in the Southwest corner of downtown and will replace 3 ugly surface lots and 1 over-grown field, so anything is an improvement.

There was a very very sad looking victorian style home on one of the lots.  The city sold it to a private citizen for $1.00.  The home was moved 3 blocks East and 1 block south, then it was beautifully restored.

The area bounded by the pink square is the new Federal building location.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2008, 03:19:59 AM by mkeller234 »

Offline Master

• 408'-Kettering Tower
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2008, 07:08:06 PM »
Maybe this will help get Downtown Canton back on a roll.

Offline mkeller234

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2008, 02:18:46 AM »
I hope so, this past summer didn't bring the amount of visible construction that I was hoping for..  There are a few other projects either in planning stages or in construction.  Some noteworthy ones:

- Old Cadillac garage - converted to photography studio/gallery below with private residence above.

- Wilson Pointe Senior center - large development nearly complete, occupies former vacant lots.

- Joseph's Bar - exterior returned to original style, apartments above

- Hotel Onesto - Luxury Condos

- Former Canton YMCA - Will be renovated as apartments

- Former boardwalk nightclub - Restoration of exterior, Preservation Society thrift store.

- A few new restaurants/bars, some smaller apartments in the works.

Offline Master

• 408'-Kettering Tower
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2008, 06:14:00 PM »
Sounds like something is happening. One or two big projects might set things off.

Offline ink

• UO Supporting Moderator
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2009, 09:18:09 AM »
From the Canton Rep:
Despite delays, Onesto project still on track for fall completion
Onesto restoration project in Canton
By Ed Balint

CANTON — The stunning crystal chandelier. That’s what folks first noticed when walking into the Hotel Onesto back in its heyday.

“It was beautiful,” said Estella Brown, 72, referring to the opulence of the entire lobby. “Just when you walked in there you thought you were in another place. That lobby was something else.”

During the 1950s, she operated the elevator at the Onesto. Besides the chandelier, paintings adorned the lobby area. Columns, arched windows, ornate plaster work and ceilings created by Italian craftsmen added other flourishes.

http://www.cantonrep.com/communities/canton/x743976807/Despite-delays-Onesto-project-still-on-track-for-fall-completion
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 12:49:01 PM by Sherman Cahal »

Offline seicer

• Premium Member
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2009, 09:32:09 AM »
Former Louisville middle school to be razed
By Malcolm Hall, CantonRep, May 12, 2009

LOUISVILLE — A prominent downtown structure last known as this city’s middle school will disappear in a matter of months, concluding an 87-year presence.

A casualty of time and computer-age education, the three-level structure has become a growing maintenance burden to the Louisville Board of Education, which has authorized demolition.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 12:38:10 PM by Sherman Cahal »

Offline mkeller234

« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2009, 01:19:06 AM »
Does anyone here know what is going on with the Hotel Onesto project in Canton?  There have not been any visible signs of progress this summer, at least not that I have noticed.  The sign advertising the apartments has been taken down too.

Offline mkeller234

« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2009, 05:02:44 AM »
Does anyone here know what is going on with the Hotel Onesto project in Canton?  There have not been any visible signs of progress this summer, at least not that I have noticed.  The sign advertising the apartments has been taken down too.

Bump question

Offline yanni_gogolak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2009, 07:28:12 AM »

Bump question

As of July 1 it seems to still be on.  Steve Coon is restoring it. I believe he owns Coon Caulking, a major historical restoration contractor (they did / are completing the Terminal Tower).

http://www.cantonrep.com/homepage/x135736198/Bar-where-McKinley-tried-case-sold-at-auction

Offline mkeller234

« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2010, 02:04:30 AM »
It looks like the Hercules factory project is getting a shot in the arm.  Construction is set to start again this summer.

http://www.cantonrep.com/news/business/x562885989/Hercules-site-to-get-fed-financing-boost

By Kelli Young
Posted Jan 27, 2010 @ 10:43 PM
CANTON —
Construction at the Hercules Engine Co. site will be restarted. A local hospital will build a new medical center in Jackson Township.

And a proposed equestrian show arena at the Stark County Fairgrounds will come closer to its fundraising goal.

Each of the projects got a financial boost Wednesday as county commissioners agreed to finance them with nearly $28 million worth of economic-stimulus bonds issued through the federal American Recovery and Reinvestment Act.

Offline Gramarye

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2010, 04:09:34 PM »
Unfortunately, I just learned today that about a month ago, my favorite restaurant in Canton--Blue Olive--closed its doors.  I went there about a week ago and found it closed, but didn't know that it had closed for good. :-(

Offline yanni_gogolak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2010, 02:31:46 PM »
Unfortunately, I just learned today that about a month ago, my favorite restaurant in Canton--Blue Olive--closed its doors.  I went there about a week ago and found it closed, but didn't know that it had closed for good. :-(

I had not heard that.  Had been meaning to get there too.  Also, Fideli's closed.  They might be owned by the same person.

Offline mkeller234

« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2010, 05:31:03 PM »

I was under the impression that the owner of Fedeli's was going to reopen... with a less expensive menu and possibly a new name.  Blue Olive didn't just close, they were thrown out for not paying their rent.

Little Chicago is long gone and the new Brownstone steak house is in it's place.  I will be interested to see how they do... I wonder how many people buy the Kobe beef?
I had not heard that.  Had been meaning to get there too.  Also, Fideli's closed.  They might be owned by the same person.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 05:31:56 PM by mkeller234 »

Offline yanni_gogolak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2010, 01:35:04 PM »
Canton shrine set for major expansion

Hall of fame expecting $23.6 million addition to be finished in 2013

By Kathy Antoniotti
Beacon Journal staff writer

Canton's Pro Football Hall of Fame will announce on Friday the largest expansion and renovation in the hall of fame's history.

The ''Future 50 Project'' includes plans for a $23.6 million expansion, expected to be completed in 2013. The planned opening will coincide with the hall's 50th anniversary.

http://www.ohio.com/news/111581424.html
« Last Edit: December 10, 2010, 01:35:15 PM by yanni_gogolak »

Offline MuRrAy HiLL

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2011, 03:31:19 AM »
South of Canton is the small city of Dover.  There's talk of abandoning their old high school...located downtown on Fifth St, and built in 1915 with a 1938 addition.

The State's current policy is very anti-urban and anti-rehab.  Ohio is offering Dover $9 million if they build new high school...and right now t on a property on the nothern outskirts of town which is currently farmland.

BUT....Why can't they offer the same money to rehab the existing, centrally-located structure??  The school creates life on the streets down there.

http://www.timesreporter.com/communities/x128432705/More-plans-revealed-for-Dover-High-project

“Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood. " -- Daniel Burnham

Offline yanni_gogolak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2011, 11:38:55 AM »
South of Canton is the small city of Dover.  There's talk of abandoning their old high school...located downtown on Fifth St, and built in 1915 with a 1938 addition.

The State's current policy is very anti-urban and anti-rehab.  Ohio is offering Dover $9 million if they build new high school...and right now t on a property on the nothern outskirts of town which is currently farmland.

BUT....Why can't they offer the same money to rehab the existing, centrally-located structure??  The school creates life on the streets down there.

http://www.timesreporter.com/communities/x128432705/More-plans-revealed-for-Dover-High-project

Usually renovating buildings that old can be more costly than building new. Also, the OSFC seems to be very heavily handed when it comes to building new as opposed to preservation. Take a look at what happened in Akron.

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2011, 08:22:21 AM »
Cross-posted from the Marcellus/Utica thread. A lot of this is being driven by the Marcellus/Utica shale gas and oil exploitation......

Timken Co. ponders $225 million investment in Canton's Faircrest Steel Plant
8:14 am, August 25, 2011

Timken Co. (NYSE: TKR) said it is considering an investment of $225 million at its Faircrest Steel Plant in Canton that would increase capacity and expand the product range of Timken alloy steel bars.

The maker of bearings and steel said a ladle refiner and a new large-bloom continuous caster would be central to the investment, targeted to begin production in 2014.

Timken said a team charged with developing a plan for moving the project forward is beginning discussions with suppliers and government officials. In addition, company representatives plan to engage the United Steelworkers on the labor agreement that covers the plant.

READ MORE AT:
http://www.crainscleveland.com/article/20110825/FREE/110829917
"George Washington could never tell a lie.
Richard Nixon could never tell the truth.
Donald Trump cannot tell the difference."

-- Mark Shields,  News Hour

Offline audidave

• 771'-Terminal Tower
  • Akron skyline
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2011, 12:23:21 PM »
Tilted Kilt in Canton is having its Grand Opening this week.  I'm told it is in a former Chi-Chis in Belden Village.  Its a fairly nice looking facility but I wasn't really looking at that for their invite-only opening.  There is another location in Ohio at Polaris.  To me the theme is if Hooters and an upscale Irish bar merged.   

Was at Zar's grand opening on Friday.  I really can't see how that is going to work unless more couches are brought downstairs, the lighting not made so bright, and the view from outside not so easy to see how few people are inside.  When it is open at 7-8pm it is like a fishbowl of emptiness. Bright white sodium lights gleaming off the glossy gray floor is easily seen from the outside.  The VIP area is upstairs and that is darker and a lot more inviting.  But that makes it worse if the only people that are there are upstairs, then who will want to come in to a massive empty space with electronic music being blasted at you.    The concept could work better in the summertime with being able to be outside and the massive bar windows open and sit at the bar ala Vegiteranean had.  Maybe I'm wrong and the Barley House crowd will feel this is a second home for them through the winter..   

Offline yanni_gogolak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2012, 12:15:12 PM »
Church plans world headquarters in Wadsworth

By Colette M. Jenkins
Beacon Journal staff writer

WADSWORTH: The Restored Church of God is working on plans for a six-building complex to house its world headquarters on Ambassador Drive, west of the Giant Eagle store.

Representatives from the church presented formal plans for the project at the city of Wadsworth’s Planning Commission meeting Monday. The commission granted some variances, approved the division of the parcel into two lots and suggested some minor revisions. It did not grant approval of the project, pending review the church’s traffic impact study.

http://www.ohio.com/news/church-plans-world-headquarters-in-wadsworth-1.256837
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 12:16:03 PM by yanni_gogolak »

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2012, 12:35:07 PM »
Once you get out of Ohio's largest metros, it truly is a different world amongst the Children of the Corn...

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2012, 09:02:40 PM »
Timken contract is vital to Stark County’s economic future
Repository Editorial
Posted Feb 15, 2012 @ 01:35 PM

The Stark Development Board, and all the companies that invest in our organization, are hopeful that a new labor agreement between The Timken Co. and the members of Local 1123 Golden Lodge of the Steel Workers will be ratified when the members of the union vote on a new contract Feb. 21.

At stake is the potential loss of a $225 million investment by The Timken Company to upgrade its Faircrest Steel Plant in Perry Township. This investment would expand the company’s product range and strengthen the competitiveness of Timken alloy steel, particularly in the heavy equipment and energy sectors.

In our view, Stark County residents and businesses alike should take note that since 2006, The Timken Co. has invested more than $200 million in its steel operations in Stark County, not including its proposed $225 million for the Faircrest Steel Plant. In February 2011, the company announced a $35 million investment in a high-volume in-line forge press at the Faircrest rolling mill. That announcement followed $50 million in capital improvements the company made at its Harrison and Gambrinus steel plants in 2010.

READ MORE AT:
http://www.cantonrep.com/opinion/letters/x1341781211/Timken-contract-is-vital-to-Stark-County-s-economic-future
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 09:45:35 PM by KJP »

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2012, 09:47:45 PM »
Stark State may get $10 million for downtown Canton project
By Lisa Reicosky
Posted Feb 16, 2012 @ 06:01 PM
Last update Feb 17, 2012 @ 12:26 PM

The area’s shale oil and gas industry boom is creating educational opportunities.

Jackson Township-based Stark State College is slated to receive $10 million in state funds to create a downtown campus and energy center in Canton. It would serve the education and training needs of the emerging oil and gas industry and serve students and companies in Stark and surrounding counties.

The award is expected to be part of the state’s $400 million biennial capital budget for higher education that will be submitted to the Ohio legislature for final approval.

READ MORE AT:
http://www.cantonrep.com/news/x1353875947/Stark-State-gets-10-million-for-downtown-Canton-project

Offline mkeller234

« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2012, 07:24:35 AM »
Thanks for splitting Canton from Akron.

I posted this a while back and figured I would update:

FINISHED! - Old Cadillac garage - converted to photography studio/gallery below with private residence above.

FINISHED! - Wilson Pointe Senior center - large development nearly complete, occupies former vacant lots.

FINISHED! Although now it is "Thatsa Wrap" - Joseph's Bar - exterior returned to original style, apartments above

Visible progress as of 2-19-12, all upper floor windows have been removed and are now plywood - Hotel Onesto - Luxury Condos

Nothing happening, I doubt this has legs - Former Canton YMCA - Will be renovated as apartments

Still making slow progess.  The thrift store is still operating. -  Former boardwalk nightclub - Restoration of exterior, Preservation Society thrift store.

- A few new restaurants/bars, some smaller apartments in the works.

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2012, 10:33:16 AM »
mkeller234, you're welcome. I split it off to encourage more Canton-area postings. Please help make that happen.

Remove Ads