Author Topic: Cincinnati: Mayor John Cranley  (Read 191639 times)

Offline chinkley

• 555'-LeVeque Tower
Re: Cincinnati: Mayor John Cranley
« Reply #1330 on: May 19, 2017, 10:14:05 AM »
Shortly after this incident happened, Cranley's office tried to blame it on Wendell Young, by claiming that the request from Tre's father for a day in his son's honor originally "came in through Young's office". Jason Williams at the Enquirer started pushing that narrative almost immediately. Young fired back with a statement making it clear that he had noting to do with this declaration. Williams then deleted all of his tweets that blamed Young. (And this is a few days after Enquirer published an editorial insisting that Williams isn't biased in favor of Cranley... uh huh, sure.)

Links? Screenshots?

Online Cygnus

• Bringer of Balance
  • Global Moderator
    • Mark Vaughn
« Reply #1331 on: May 19, 2017, 10:34:17 AM »
Probably don't exist... but he did admit to deleting a tweet: https://twitter.com/jwilliamscincy/status/865397441314439168

"It's just fate, as usual, keeping its bargain and screwing us in the fine print..." - John Crichton

Online joshknut

• 408'-Kettering Tower
« Reply #1332 on: May 19, 2017, 10:50:46 AM »
I've got some serious schadenfreude going on right now

Online taestell

• Global Moderator
  • 부자태
    • UrbanCincy
« Reply #1333 on: May 19, 2017, 10:58:49 AM »
Shortly after this incident happened, Cranley's office tried to blame it on Wendell Young, by claiming that the request from Tre's father for a day in his son's honor originally "came in through Young's office". Jason Williams at the Enquirer started pushing that narrative almost immediately. Young fired back with a statement making it clear that he had noting to do with this declaration. Williams then deleted all of his tweets that blamed Young. (And this is a few days after Enquirer published an editorial insisting that Williams isn't biased in favor of Cranley... uh huh, sure.)

Links? Screenshots?

The deleted tweet was:

New info: The "Tre Day" proclamation request came through Councilman Wendell Young's office and was sent onto the mayor's office.
Check out my photography on Flickr or Instagram | Twitter: @urbancincy & @taestell | The UrbanCincy Podcast (iTunes)

Online taestell

• Global Moderator
  • 부자태
    • UrbanCincy
« Reply #1334 on: May 19, 2017, 11:04:19 AM »
Immediately after Williams posted that, one of Cranley's biggest supporters claimed that this was a trap set by Young to take Cranley down.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 11:05:08 AM by taestell »
Check out my photography on Flickr or Instagram | Twitter: @urbancincy & @taestell | The UrbanCincy Podcast (iTunes)

Online bfwissel

• 629'-Rhodes State Tower
    • My Cincinnati Life
« Reply #1335 on: May 19, 2017, 11:32:56 AM »
John Cranley spoke a moment ago at Fountain Square in an event remembering fallen officers to once again apologize.  He followed up the rest of his speech to speak all about him and how he's some grand civil servant.  It was a bit sickening, but at least the other speakers were focused on the reason they were there and not themselves.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 11:44:50 AM by bfwissel »
"Someone's sitting in the shade today because someone planted a tree a long time ago." - Warren Buffett

Offline The_Cincinnati_Kid

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • The Big Daddy From Cincinnati
"Rock & Roll attained perfection in 1974, it's a scientific fact."- Homer Simpson

Online neilworms

• 947'-Key Tower
« Reply #1337 on: May 19, 2017, 02:05:26 PM »
John Cranley spoke a moment ago at Fountain Square in an event remembering fallen officers to once again apologize.  He followed up the rest of his speech to speak all about him and how he's some grand civil servant.  It was a bit sickening, but at least the other speakers were focused on the reason they were there and not themselves.

I'm in a twitter arguement with an African American supporter of Cranley, I really want to understand why the heck they support him.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 02:05:36 PM by neilworms »

Online jmecklenborg

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • An Apollo Legend
« Reply #1338 on: May 19, 2017, 02:14:22 PM »

I'm in a twitter arguement with an African American supporter of Cranley, I really want to understand why the heck they support him.

Because Cranley rains money down on these guys.  That's how he built the support for the parks levy -- promise to have the parks dept pay huge $$'s for odd pieces of unused land owned by black churches. 

Online neilworms

• 947'-Key Tower
« Reply #1339 on: May 19, 2017, 02:20:01 PM »

Because Cranley rains money down on these guys.  That's how he built the support for the parks levy -- promise to have the parks dept pay huge $$'s for odd pieces of unused land owned by black churches. 

2 points I got out of the conversation of why would an African American support Cranley:

1) Minority inclusion of govt contracts increased from 2% to 45%.
2) More cops.  The guy I chatted with loves hiring more police to solve crime (probably specific to his own viewpoint).  (I cited evidence that its not better, he disagreed and bought into the lie that Cranley was responsible for the Collaborative agreement).

I'm happy I did this, I really wanted to get a voice that IMO isn't really represented on this forum.

So yeah raining money on them....

People do need to understand that this community is what will swing the election so there should be a focus on it.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 02:22:20 PM by neilworms »

Offline ColDayMan

• Administrator
  • ♪♪ An Apollo Legend! ♪♪
« Reply #1340 on: May 19, 2017, 02:27:32 PM »

2 points I got out of the conversation of why would an African American support Cranley:

1) Minority inclusion of govt contracts increased from 2% to 45%.
2) More cops.  The guy I chatted with loves hiring more police to solve crime (probably specific to his own viewpoint).  (I cited evidence that its not better, he disagreed and bought into the lie that Cranley was responsible for the Collaborative agreement).

I'm happy I did this, I really wanted to get a voice that IMO isn't really represented on this forum.

So yeah raining money on them....

People do need to understand that this community is what will swing the election so there should be a focus on it.

Please do not make the mistake that ONE African American supporter of Cranley represents a general population of African-Americans in a city.  It is one perspective that is needed but certainly not a sign.
I love it when people come into a message board and immediately begin to mix it up.  I mean, Jesus, at least say hello!  Do you walk into a room full of strangers, pick a random woman, and tell her she's fat? - buildingcincinnati

Online taestell

• Global Moderator
  • 부자태
    • UrbanCincy
« Reply #1341 on: May 19, 2017, 02:33:26 PM »
There's a large section of the Cincinnati population that basically thinks the city should not do anything but hire police and firefighters. Cranley is literally buying the FOP's support (with taxpayer money) by hiring more cops and firefighters and giving them massive raises over the next three years.

Most of the people on this forum aren't on that team because we understand that hiring more cops and firefighters alone doesn't make the city safer. We understand that vacant buildings and empty lots attract criminal activity, and developing vacant buildings and empty lots into new businesses, retail space, and residences results in more "eyes on the street" which makes the city safer. We understand that getting police officers out of their cars and into the community, interacting with citizens, makes us safer. We understand that when you raise people out of poverty, they are less likely to commit crimes.

But America loves to compartmentalize everything. If there's crime, the only solution is to hire more cops! You can't possibly look at the dozens of other government policies that could be changed that would reduce the amount of crime...
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 02:36:12 PM by taestell »

Online neilworms

• 947'-Key Tower
« Reply #1342 on: May 19, 2017, 02:33:29 PM »

Please do not make the mistake that ONE African American supporter of Cranley represents a general population of African-Americans in a city.  It is one perspective that is needed but certainly not a sign.

Agreed and sorry if I came across as implying that.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 03:03:20 PM by neilworms »

Online neilworms

• 947'-Key Tower
« Reply #1343 on: May 19, 2017, 02:35:18 PM »
There's a large section of the Cincinnati population that basically thinks the city should not do anything but hire police and firefighters. Cranley is literally buying the FOP's support (with taxpayer money) by hiring more cops and firefighters and giving them massive raises over the next three years.

Most of the people on this forum aren't on that team because we understand that hiring more cops and firefighters alone doesn't make the city safer. We understand that vacant buildings and empty lots attract criminal activity, and developing vacant buildings and empty lots into new businesses, retail space, and residents results in more "eyes on the street" which makes the city safer. We understand that getting police officers out of their cars and into the community, interacting with citizens, makes us safer. We understand that when you raise people out of poverty, they are less likely to commit crimes.

But America loves to compartmentalize everything. If there's crime, the only solution is to hire more cops! You can't possibly look at the dozens of other government policies that could be changed that would reduce the amount of crime...

Yeah and that problem isn't unique to Cincinnati either.   I hope long term things change to more effective policing over more policing.   One can hope.

Online taestell

• Global Moderator
  • 부자태
    • UrbanCincy
« Reply #1344 on: May 19, 2017, 02:35:34 PM »

This is extremely important. There are African American in this city that range from far left to far right. You can't and shouldn't lump people together based on their physical characteristics (which I don't believe Neil was trying to do, at all, BTW).

Online jmecklenborg

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • An Apollo Legend
« Reply #1345 on: May 19, 2017, 02:40:38 PM »

Other countries have significantly reduced or almost eliminated the problems that plague the United States.  Instead of copying those solutions, here they are smeared, since too many people are making money off of what amounts to war profiteering. 

Today 700WLW was defending Cranley and still trying to blame Kevin Flynn.  Cranley's real mess-up was the crocodile tears -- the still of him wiping away those fake tears helped turn it into a viral story.  I saw Yahoo News going crazy with it, thanks to that ridiculous image. 

Offline ColDayMan

• Administrator
  • ♪♪ An Apollo Legend! ♪♪
« Reply #1346 on: May 19, 2017, 03:15:12 PM »

Agreed and sorry if I came across as implying that.

No worries, I didn't think you were implying that at all.  I'm just making it clear for those who may have read it that way.
I love it when people come into a message board and immediately begin to mix it up.  I mean, Jesus, at least say hello!  Do you walk into a room full of strangers, pick a random woman, and tell her she's fat? - buildingcincinnati

Offline subocincy

• 629'-Rhodes State Tower
  • I thirst for all things Cincinnati...
« Reply #1347 on: May 19, 2017, 05:14:11 PM »
Talk about getting 15-seconds of world fame, Cincy's little Boohoo Boy made BBC News!   :police:
http://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-us-canada-39980773/cincinnati-mayor-apologises-for-cop-killer-honour-gaffe

Remove Ads