Author Topic: Cleveland Heights: Development and News  (Read 69901 times)

Offline PoshSteve

• 629'-Rhodes State Tower
Re: Cleveland Heights: Random Development News & Discussion
« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2012, 12:39:58 PM »
Hello!

Long time lurker here, but I just moved to Cleveland Hts a few weeks ago. Needless to say I love it here and wouldnt want to live anywhere else  :-D

But, I actually have some information to share here.
I started working at the bank in Severance, and the property manager has been coming in and I finally got to ask about WalMart leaving. She wouldnt give me any specifics, but she did say theyve been in talks with multiple retailers, and the space will be filled, and it shouldnt be too long (heres hoping). She said Walmart would have expanded and added the groceries here, but theres a non-compete with Dave's being here that wont allow for more groceries.

Oh, and a food truck will be here in front of Home Depot this Thursday for lunch  :-D

Offline Clevelander17

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2012, 12:44:43 PM »
And I don't know how you could possibly gripe about UH somehow getting screwed over.  Council did pass the vote off to the school board and UH is represented on that board.  They didn't have to do that.  I hope the board recognizes the benefit a thriving Cedar-Lee neighborhood will have on the district as a whole.

It's a meaningless gesture as you implied.  If the school board votes it down, CH city council is almost certainly going to approve it regardless, enforcing its will on the school district and ~15,000 citizens to whom they have no responsibility.  This is essentially would SE did in attempting to wipe the egg (or perhaps another substance) off of their faces with Cedar Center and points to the bigger problem of tax abatements and multi-municipality school districts.

If CH wants to play the role of landlord/developer then I think it should be funded by CH residents, not the residents of other cities.

Offline Hts121

• UO Supporting Member
  • It's still just like your opinion, man
« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2012, 01:18:03 PM »
It is not being "funded" by the residents of other cities.  University Heights and its residents technically have no say in this, although they may recieve an indirect benefit.  Your taxes will not go up if the abatement is granted.  The 'meaningless gesture' comment is nothing more than speculation.  You are obviously allowing your bias against the combined school district get in the way of rational thinking again.  Would you rather have a tax-exempt property go there?  Would you rather leave it as green space?  At least the property will be generating revenue in the short term, has the ability to propel the momentum of the neighborhood even further, and will allow for brighter budgetary forecasts into the future than any of the alternatives.   
Your true friends will help you up when someone knocks you down.  Your best friend will say "Stay down, I got this."

Offline Clevelander17

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2012, 08:42:53 PM »
It is not being "funded" by the residents of other cities.  University Heights and its residents technically have no say in this, although they may recieve an indirect benefit.  Your taxes will not go up if the abatement is granted.  The 'meaningless gesture' comment is nothing more than speculation.  You are obviously allowing your bias against the combined school district get in the way of rational thinking again.  Would you rather have a tax-exempt property go there?  Would you rather leave it as green space?  At least the property will be generating revenue in the short term, has the ability to propel the momentum of the neighborhood even further, and will allow for brighter budgetary forecasts into the future than any of the alternatives.   

Here's the thing, you've said that you believe that the property is going to eventually be developed regardless of whether or not some developer is given an abatement.  I tend to agree with that being a very likely scenario.  So what I'm saying is that if the amount of tax coming from that property is less than it potential could or should be, the difference will be made up in other ways, particularly future taxes that are levied on residential elsewhere properties in all three of the district's constituent cities.  I realize that this is a bit of an assumption, but I don't think it's a huge stretch.  That's what I mean by saying that other city's residents will also be funding this abatement.

FYI, I'd say that I'm a supporter of the school district and even University Heights' place in it.  Maybe a few years back I had some negative views of the district, and perhaps I still do on certain issues, but after some more recent personal experiences in one of the middle schools, I have a lot of optimism for the future of the district, particularly if those in charge make the right decisions.

My concern with tax abatements is a more general dislike of the law and the process.  No I don't like what could be potentially happening in this situation, but as I've stated above, there have been much more egregious examples in this and other school districts, particularly those that encompass more than one community.

Offline PoshSteve

« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2012, 01:32:00 PM »
Some more news from Severance today.

Sally's Beauty (in the corner anchored by Dave's) will be closing and moving to Oakwood Commons at the same time Walmart makes the move. Not good. Exactly the reason I did not support that development. Nothing new, just moving everything in from the city next door...

Im still hopeful something big is in store for Severance though. Management has been saying theyre in talks with tenants to move in when Walmart leaves

Offline Clevelander17

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #40 on: September 23, 2012, 03:00:35 PM »
Some more news from Severance today.

Sally's Beauty (in the corner anchored by Dave's) will be closing and moving to Oakwood Commons at the same time Walmart makes the move. Not good. Exactly the reason I did not support that development. Nothing new, just moving everything in from the city next door...

Im still hopeful something big is in store for Severance though. Management has been saying theyre in talks with tenants to move in when Walmart leaves

Agreed...the further along we go here, the more evident it becomes that the development of Oakwood was unnecessary and is adding very little value to the community.  How can a developer make claims of all the jobs that will be created when all they're doing is poaching job from other nearby retail centers?

In regards to Severance, the more the vacancies pile up, the more it seems like the property needs to be completely re-purposed.  I don't have any specific ideas, but perhaps something other than retail should be explored.

Offline jam40jeff

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #41 on: September 23, 2012, 03:25:43 PM »
It's too bad Acacia won't be developed into a sparkly new shopping center with tons of parking so we could move the rest of the University Square and La Place tenants over there.  Now that would be progress!

Offline MuRrAy HiLL

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #42 on: September 23, 2012, 04:11:11 PM »
Cleveland Heights' Nighttown planning expansion
Published: Friday, September 21, 2012, 1:00 PM
Brian Byrne, Sun News By Brian Byrne, Sun News

CLEVELAND HEIGHTS--Nighttown owner Brendan Ring realized this summer that he had a somewhat enviable problem for a restaurateur; the patio at his historic Cedar Road eatery was booked with private events every Friday and Saturday night from Memorial Day through mid-November.

While it pleased Ring that the 2002 addition to the fabled jazz venue had became a favorite locale to host special occasions, regular customers had begun voicing frustration at the lack of a weekend outdoor dining option.

So, to help accommodate his bustling business, Ring is planning a second patio at the rear of the restaurant. Called “The Secret Garden,” the 900-square foot roofed stone enclosure will feature water accents, a fire pit and seating for 75.

Designed by Cleveland Heights-based Robert W. Blatchford Architects, the new patio will bring a “very contemporary” look to Nighttown’s exterior, Ring said, a departure from the interior’s traditional decor. He expects the addition to cost $300,000.

http://www.cleveland.com/cleveland-heights/index.ssf/2012/09/cleveland_heights_nighttown_pl.html
“Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood. " -- Daniel Burnham

Offline PoshSteve

« Reply #43 on: September 23, 2012, 05:31:12 PM »
Agreed...the further along we go here, the more evident it becomes that the development of Oakwood was unnecessary and is adding very little value to the community.  How can a developer make claims of all the jobs that will be created when all they're doing is poaching job from other nearby retail centers?

In regards to Severance, the more the vacancies pile up, the more it seems like the property needs to be completely re-purposed.  I don't have any specific ideas, but perhaps something other than retail should be explored.

Thats what Ive been thinking too. Its a nice neighborhood, but it seams there just isnt the support for all the retail there. In a perfect world id like to see Severance repurposed with apartments and houses, and retail returned to Taylor (as long as its not along the same lines as the Taylor Plaza strip mall... Ill stop before i get too off topic lol) The only problem is weve seen that new houses arent doing very well here, as evident by the still half finished Coral development on the northeast corner of Severance. I hope thats just to due with the housing crisis nationally, and not due to any lack of interest in the area. Bluestone looks like its gone pretty well.

In other news, that construction on Mayfield by Noble looks like it shouldnt be too much longer in finishing up. Does anyone know exactly what its going to be? (and what they tore down to replace?)

Offline Hts121

• UO Supporting Member
« Reply #44 on: September 23, 2012, 11:50:36 PM »
^That is going to be an Autozone.  There was an older service center which was knocked down.  No big loss or gain IMO.

The smaller and mid-size shops at Severance will come and go.  It's the anchor tenants which will decide its fate.  It can probably afford to lose WalMart if it holds onto Home Depot and Dave's.  Who knows... if they're creative in re-purposing the WalMart space, it could turn out to be addition by subtraction.
Your true friends will help you up when someone knocks you down.  Your best friend will say "Stay down, I got this."

Offline PoshSteve

« Reply #45 on: September 24, 2012, 07:47:49 AM »
oh ok, i thought it was interesting that there was no autozone in this area...

Im not too sad to see walmart leave. Ill never shop there regardless of where it is. I just know it tends to be the "big draw" in shopping centers, and would hate to see a domino affect from their leaving and end up with something like City View in Garfield

Offline Mov2Ohio

• 1450'-Willis Tower
« Reply #46 on: September 24, 2012, 12:44:45 PM »
Not to get off topic, but I think City View's abandonment was because of the methane gas leak issue that was clearly very problematic when the center opened. I think that place just looks bad because the retailers that did leave had such huge stores and left huge empty spaces.

Got a chance to talk to some Wal-Mart realty people. They say it is normally the owners of properties Walmart is leaving who are most proactive in finding other tenants or alternative uses for the empty stores who are most successful in saving their property. I hope the rumors of them in talks with new tenants are true.
Without change, progress is impossible.

Offline CLE618

• 468'-Scripps Center
« Reply #47 on: September 24, 2012, 08:30:23 PM »

Im not too sad to see walmart leave. Ill never shop there regardless of where it is. I just know it tends to be the "big draw" in shopping centers, and would hate to see a domino affect from their leaving and end up with something like City View in Garfield

In walmarts defense though, the severance store is AWFUL. It is old, small, dirty, and low on inventory. the worst in Cleveland along with eastlake. For a decent Walmart experience I drive to mentor, north Olmsted, or strongsville. If I can handle it, steelyard. Though I hate severance taking a hit, it will be nice to have a new clean Walmart to go to near univ circle where I live. :)

Offline Loretto

• Premium Member
« Reply #48 on: September 24, 2012, 08:47:16 PM »
Low inventories is not a problem caused by the building you're in. It's a decision by upper management.

Offline eyehrtfood

« Reply #49 on: September 24, 2012, 08:52:06 PM »
Don't know about Dave's but know for a fact that Home Depot is trying to move to Oakwood Commons, as is nearby Target, though current layout does not have necessary acreage (24?) they need, but....

Offline Mov2Ohio

• 1450'-Willis Tower
« Reply #50 on: September 24, 2012, 09:25:42 PM »

In walmarts defense though, the severance store is AWFUL. It is old, small, dirty, and low on inventory. the worst in Cleveland along with eastlake. For a decent Walmart experience I drive to mentor, north Olmsted, or strongsville. If I can handle it, steelyard. Though I hate severance taking a hit, it will be nice to have a new clean Walmart to go to near univ circle where I live. :)

I think all the Walmarts I've been to fit that description. That's why i spend my Big box dollars at Target. Walmart is rolling out new store concepts, one a little larger than A Walgreens, the other even smaller. They also have a concept for colleges. I think they believe they will have conquered the American suburbs once all their large stores are super Walmarts. Then they will be moving into America's inner cities and in some cases already have.
Without change, progress is impossible.

Offline Scav

• 574'-Carew Tower
« Reply #51 on: September 24, 2012, 10:08:25 PM »

I think all the Walmarts I've been to fit that description. That's why i spend my Big box dollars at Target. Walmart is rolling out new store concepts, one a little larger than A Walgreens, the other even smaller. They also have a concept for colleges. I think they believe they will have conquered the American suburbs once all their large stores are super Walmarts. Then they will be moving into America's inner cities and in some cases already have.

They have also managed to put quite a few urban Wal-Marts here in Beijing, where it is quite popular... sooo yeah its not just America they are after! aaaaah! ok back on topic... I love nighttown!
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 10:08:53 PM by Scav »
Cleveland is "a communal act of defiance against a nation's celebrity culture." Wright Thompson

Offline PoshSteve

« Reply #52 on: September 25, 2012, 12:03:57 PM »
Don't know about Dave's but know for a fact that Home Depot is trying to move to Oakwood Commons, as is nearby Target, though current layout does not have necessary acreage (24?) they need, but....

Hm, i havent heard anything about Home Depot. I hope that doesnt happen, as im sure that would cause the remaining stores to leave. i dont see Daves moving at all. or at least if they do, not out of this neighborhood. Interesting thing is though, that without Daves here, Walmart would have stayed. the lease has a no competition clause that Daves be the only grocery store in the center, so Walmart wasnt able to expand to the super walmart. I do think that if Home Depot leaves, we wont be staying here much longer either. were already down to being just one of 3 store fronts in our wing. one of which is the Army Recruiter...

Offline smith

• formerly CorySnyder
  • 771'-Terminal Tower
    • Kevin Smith Photography
« Reply #53 on: September 25, 2012, 12:12:24 PM »
^ What business are you referring to as "we wont be staying here much longer either."  Just curious.

Offline PoshSteve

« Reply #54 on: September 25, 2012, 12:45:36 PM »
^ What business are you referring to as "we wont be staying here much longer either."  Just curious.

Sorry, KeyBank. Its nothing "official" or anything from corporate or management. just our talk around the office. No need to start rumors that were leaving or anything!

Offline CLE618

• 468'-Scripps Center
« Reply #55 on: September 25, 2012, 02:29:36 PM »
Low inventories is not a problem caused by the building you're in. It's a decision by upper management.
No, this is actually due to the stores age and outdated status. They don't have the newest fixtures or display units and the format of the store is very odd. This store doesn't have as much product or variety as most other stores-- not to mention the registers and entrance are in a very awkward spot. Without a hatred for Walmart, you could definitely be more reasonable and realize the benefit for Walmart and its customers. Not so much for severance of course, but that's just how things go these days. Severance reminds me of steelyard commons, just less tenants and it doesn't look very nice. Never excited to take a trip anywhere there.

Offline Loretto

• Premium Member
« Reply #56 on: September 25, 2012, 02:55:19 PM »
Inventory does not equal variety. Fixtures only matter when you have either management and staff that isn't motivated to make things work, or a corporate decision to under supply a store because of it. I wasn't arguing any other points. I wasn't arguing any other point than inventory count.

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #57 on: September 27, 2012, 09:52:33 PM »
Back from the dead, reincarnated......

Planned development to add 77 apartments, 15k s/f commercial space to cedar-lee
THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 27, 2012

The City of Cleveland Heights has revived a plan to build a mixed-use building at the intersection of Meadowbrook and Lee roads in the Cedar-Lee District, and this time, the shovels actually may hit dirt.

The Orlean Company, which is already an active developer in Cleveland Heights, plans to build a four-story building that will include 77 market-rate rental apartments and nearly 15,000 square feet of commercial space. Orlean is the developer of the Kenilworth Mews and Bluestone developments in the city.

"This is a very urban development in a vibrant commercial district," says Stuart Friedman, a consultant with Orlean. "There's a lot of heavy lifting to go, but we think it will be an enduring asset of tremendous value for Cleveland Heights."

READ MORE AT:
http://www.freshwatercleveland.com/devnews/cedarleedevelopment092712.aspx
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 10:04:32 PM by KJP »
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I'll tell you what you value." -- Joe Biden

Offline PoshSteve

« Reply #58 on: September 28, 2012, 03:07:40 PM »
Very nice! I hope this one finally comes to fruit. its just awful looking at that lot when down there. I still think this city is still in need of more modern market rate apartments

Offline Hts121

• UO Supporting Member
« Reply #59 on: September 28, 2012, 03:55:35 PM »
This is the same project we have been discussing throughout this thread.  CH has some more modern condos, but I can't think of any modern market rate apartments.  It should fit help diversify the City's housing stock nicely

Offline 327

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Fascinating
« Reply #60 on: September 28, 2012, 06:03:58 PM »
Back from the dead, reincarnated......
Planned development to add 77 apartments, 15k s/f commercial space to cedar-lee

Never heard about this, such awesome news.  I really hope it gets built.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 06:05:27 PM by 327 »
Vibrate your greenspace today with Frank Jackson

Offline PoshSteve

« Reply #61 on: September 28, 2012, 07:03:52 PM »
This is the same project we have been discussing throughout this thread.  CH has some more modern condos, but I can't think of any modern market rate apartments.  It should fit help diversify the City's housing stock nicely

That former office building at Severance, right across Mayfield from Bluestone, that was converted not too long ago is being leased as apartments now. I think the sign out front said about 1500/mt
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 07:05:14 PM by PoshSteve »

Offline Hts121

• UO Supporting Member
« Reply #62 on: September 28, 2012, 10:16:27 PM »
^That conversion was not well done from what I heard.  I haven't been inside.  But this development at Lee-Meadowbrook is still unique in that it is a new build.

Never heard about this, such awesome news.  I really hope it gets built.

The one f'in time I get the scoop on a development and nobody pays attention  :whip:

1.  The residential building which was planned along with the garage at Cedar-Lee is finally seriously back on the table.  The one developer I spoke to who is looking into the City's invitation for bids thinks a mixed use building would be ideal, with retail/entertainment on ground level.  I am talking about this lot....

If I understand correctly, proposals for the Cedar-Lee lot between Tullamore and Meadowbrook are being submitted this weekend.  The one rendering I saw will make people on this board very happy...... built to street, mixed use (rental units above), balconies, penthouses, a few outdoor patios for the 1st floor tenants on each side of the building and the UO deal closer.... a skywalk to the parking garage :)

^This development is what I had been hinting at upthread, but wanted to wait until something was made more public.  The building will be something like the Avenue district, with upper-floor terraces and ground-floor patios.  The only other proposals submitted for the lot, as I understand, were for assisted/senior living because the developers wanted to get financial assistance from state/federal programs.  The City made the right choice.  The holdup was the negotiation over the tax abatement.

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #63 on: September 29, 2012, 12:56:23 AM »
Hts121, congrats on the scoop, love the new avatar and fix your quote at the bottom of your posts. There's a letter(s) missing at the start of it. Nice quote, BTW.
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I'll tell you what you value." -- Joe Biden

Offline Hts121

• UO Supporting Member
« Reply #64 on: November 13, 2012, 09:22:41 AM »
The Board of Ed has approved the tax abatement on the Lee/Meadowbrook project.  Apparently, Fran Mench was unable to convince them that building a new, modern apartment building with central air and indoor plumbing was going to steal tenants away from the City's other rental properties.  Now it heads to City Council for their rubber stamp
« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 09:23:14 AM by Hts121 »

Offline willyboy

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
    • National Trust for Historic Preservation
« Reply #65 on: November 13, 2012, 09:36:59 AM »
Good news indeed...
The National Trust for Historic Preservation http://www.preservationnation.org/  Become a member!

Offline Foraker

« Reply #66 on: November 13, 2012, 11:59:51 AM »
Hope it turns out well.  Fran Mench wasn't the only one protesting this project, but she did put together an interesting report of the large number of rental vacancies and housing foreclosures in the immediate area that left me with some doubts.  Let's hope that those rentals and foreclosures are only vacant because they aren't "new, modern" and lacked central air. 

If this project is successful, then it might be seen as a signal that CH needs to accelerate foreclosure demolitions so that more new, modern, and air-conditioned buildings can be built in their place.

While I can see a place for more modern housing in CH, I also would like to see more modern office space in CH to balance out all of the residential and provide a livelier daytime presence in that stretch of Lee Rd. 

Offline 327

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Fascinating
« Reply #67 on: November 13, 2012, 12:06:35 PM »
The market for modern apartments is not the market for older apartments.  The market for houses has nothing to do with either one.  Different people want different things.

I agree about the need for offices to balance things out more.
Vibrate your greenspace today with Frank Jackson

Offline Hts121

• UO Supporting Member
« Reply #68 on: November 13, 2012, 12:12:14 PM »
This project includes offices.  It is as 'mixed-use' as they come.

I am 99% confident that this project can only have a positive impact on the vacancy rates in the surrounding neighborhood.  The competition for these units will be in UC and Downtown.  There really is no comparable rental building in CH.  It will appeal to a demographic which CH struggles to retain..... that being, the younger crowd which is not ready to buy, but wants modern amenities in their units.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 12:14:53 PM by Hts121 »

Offline Htsguy

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #69 on: November 13, 2012, 12:24:44 PM »
^Agree,,,I constantly here complaints from the "younger crowd" wanting to live in CH but not wanting to live in the majority older apartment stock (many people like it but it is not for everybody).  There is very little like this in Cleveland Heights and I cannot help but believe it will help the surrounding older buildings and maybe even encourage investment in them that was not previously contemplated.

Remove Ads