Author Topic: Cleveland Heights: Development and News  (Read 68858 times)

NorthShore647, newtohere and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Motorist

• 367'-PNC Bank
Re: Cleveland Heights: Development and News
« Reply #315 on: March 02, 2017, 08:57:49 AM »
To those who choose to move out of Cleveland Heights due to a lack of freeways?  It's a free country.  These people, ultimately, are probably not the kind of folks who CH wants anyway as they are less likely to appreciate the unique charms that makes this old suburb attractive and special.

I don't get this argument.  In CH, you can get to I-271 in <15 min from most parts, I-90 east or west in <15 min via MLK, and downtown in <15 via Carnegie, where you can pick up I-90, I-71, or I-77.  So even when you do need a freeway (which isn't often because many places are nearby), it isn't that awfully hard to get to one.  I know people who complain about the lack of freeway access and then move to an exurb 40 miles from the city in a development 10-15 minutes from the freeway (the ONLY freeway, which they then need to take for many miles to get anywhere of interest).  It's a nonsensical argument.

What about Lakewood?  Not exactly an exurb.  My brother works in Solon and still made that move.  To this day he comments on how much easier it is to get around. 

A friend of mine in Cleveland Heights just visited another friend in West Park and it took him 40 minutes each way.  The uber bill was quite large.  FWIW the Opportunity Corridor is going to bring these two friends closer together.  Both of them live in urban neighborhoods and both of their neighborhoods benefit from additional connectivity with each other.  I daresay the OC might even help get something built at Lee and Silsby.  Speculation, obviously.  But increased access and connectivity are not likely to hurt that parcel or any other in Cleveland Heights.

I don't think the OC is going to have the impact to his travel time that you may think.  It may take his drive from 40 minutes to 38.  I regularly drive down Woodland to get to E 55th and it takes almost no time as it is.  I think the OC is going to have absolutely zero impact on the Cedar Lee district.   

Online X

• Global Moderator
« Reply #316 on: March 02, 2017, 12:12:31 PM »
OK, folks, let's get back to actual development news.

Offline Clevelander17

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #317 on: March 03, 2017, 10:22:48 PM »
^^The E152 and E185 entrances to the Shoreway are about 10 mins from where I grew up in CH

Get real.

Offline mam178

• 0'-Surface Lot
« Reply #318 on: May 11, 2017, 07:26:01 PM »
http://www.clevelandheights.com/index.aspx?page=47&recordid=1130&returnURL=%2findex.aspx

So sad for Top of the Hill...reminds me of the Meadowbrook site.

Online Htsguy

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #319 on: May 12, 2017, 09:35:43 AM »
^Well this is a real bummer

Offline Vince_908

• 408'-Kettering Tower
« Reply #320 on: May 12, 2017, 09:41:23 AM »
Meadowbrook and Top of the Hill are still great development sites, despite the setbacks.

Offline mam178

• 0'-Surface Lot
« Reply #321 on: May 12, 2017, 11:26:41 AM »
Meadowbrook and Top of the Hill are still great development sites, despite the setbacks.

Of course, but they are city owned and you have to work with Cleveland Heights. This is a huge red flag to developers who have to spend a bunch of time and money up front before a project even breaks ground.

Offline David

• Premium Member
« Reply #322 on: May 12, 2017, 07:40:18 PM »
Surprisingly, I've never noticed this thread until now and I have 9 pages to catch up on. So far, I don't see anything mentioned about it but I was wondering what's up with the giant empty lot between Meadowbrook and Tullamore.  What was there? What are the plans for it? I've lived in the area for a year and a half and they've barely done anything with it... It really does seem feasible to build an apartment building with first floor retail. The only reason businesses die on this section of Lee is due to bad management. This area is insanely popular for folks in Heights, Shaker and University Hts. They don't like to go downtown or anywhere far away and they like supporting the community. I think a lot of people here would be excited about the idea of new residential construction in this area. What's the scoop on this giant plot on Lee Rd?
Modern architects recognize 300 masterpieces but ignore the other 30 million buildings that have ruined the world. - Andres Duany

Online Htsguy

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #323 on: May 12, 2017, 07:46:09 PM »
^really have to read the thread.  Way too much history.

Offline David

• Premium Member
« Reply #324 on: May 12, 2017, 07:48:40 PM »
^really have to read the thread.  Way too much history.

I feel a headache coming on...
Modern architects recognize 300 masterpieces but ignore the other 30 million buildings that have ruined the world. - Andres Duany

Offline David

• Premium Member
« Reply #325 on: May 12, 2017, 08:21:10 PM »
^I'll take Cleveland Heights with its class and character, with its lack of direct freeway access (but with good public transit) over cookie-cutter, soulless Westlake, with it's I-90 freeway ramps, 10 out of 10 times.

Where did you get this idea that CH has good public transit? There's no way you could say that if you've actually taken public transit over here, recently. Public transit in Cleveland Heights sucks. It takes forever to get around on a bus. For starters, you can't even get downtown without transferring. If I take a bus downtown to meet up with my girlfriend and drive back with her, I have to pay twice when transferring just to go in the same direction because there's no direct route to that area. RTA is such a scam. It's either a bus and a train or taking two buses to achieve that goal. It's obnoxious; I don't feel I live that far away from downtown. From what I was told, a lot of bus routes no longer exist, like one that went down Fairmount. There's others that I've heard legends of but can't remember where they were. I think S. Taylor had a bus as well. The one that goes along Cedar Rd. only runs once an hour, even during peak hours. It literally doesn't matter what time of day or which day it's running - it just comes once an hour. Same with the one that goes down Lee and Mayfield. The Mayfield Rd. bus might actually be worse. Is that considered frequent service in Cleveland? No one seems to have a problem with that sort of frequency even though I can imagine people spending half of their day waiting for busses, to run certain errands.  Maybe even catching hypothermia at the bus stop, in the winter. A similar street to Cedar Rd. in Columbus would have buses running every 20 minutes. Highway accessibility is also bad but imo that's a big problem for a lot of Cleveland.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2017, 08:39:44 PM by David »

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #326 on: May 12, 2017, 09:02:52 PM »
Good topic that's worth discussing in the RTA thread....

https://www.urbanohio.com/forum2/index.php/topic,4504.msg853839.html#msg853839
"Courage is the first of human qualities because it is the quality which guarantees all others." – Winston Churchill

Offline smith

• formerly CorySnyder
  • 771'-Terminal Tower
    • Kevin Smith Photography
« Reply #327 on: May 13, 2017, 09:59:55 AM »

Of course, but they are city owned and you have to work with Cleveland Heights. This is a huge red flag to developers who have to spend a bunch of time and money up front before a project even breaks ground.

Disappointed about Top of the Hill to be sure.  I'm interested to hear what exactly the issue was. 

Lee/Meadowbrook is a different animal.  With that location, I can see that it would be difficult to get the rents that would justify the cost of construction, but I would have thought Cedar/Fairmount could justify it. 

(oh and I know it's a topic for RTA thread, but CH is served well by rail ("well" being relative to Cleveland))
« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 10:01:01 AM by smith »

Offline Clevelander17

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #329 on: May 13, 2017, 09:20:11 PM »
Good to hear this. I was about to complain about so much parking but it's about right. The Flaherty & Collins plan has:

250+ apartments (250 parking spaces)
30,000 square feet of retail/restaurants (300 spaces)
20,000 square feet of offices (100 spaces)
110-room Element hotel (100 spaces)
-------
750 garage-parking spaces

« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 09:20:48 PM by KJP »
"Courage is the first of human qualities because it is the quality which guarantees all others." – Winston Churchill

Online freethink

• 1450'-Willis Tower
« Reply #330 on: June 05, 2017, 10:57:17 PM »
I like this one better than the Fairmount proposal. From @mjarboe Twitter.
live small  dream big

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #331 on: June 06, 2017, 06:52:07 AM »
Love the density!

Online Htsguy

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #332 on: June 06, 2017, 09:29:01 AM »
Like it especially:

Good job hiding the parking;

The mid block pedestrian way;

That they have plans for the east side of Nighttown which I did not know was part of the deal.  More density with the four story building and getting rid of some non descript buildings.  I wonder if this is just aspirational?  Do not know if the city owns this land where Zoos the Baker and a bank (I think 5th/3r but not sure) are.

Like the townhomes on the south side of Cedar but I am sure that the neighbors are going to go ballistic and put up a fight.  Might not happen.  Again, Aspirational?  Actually, I guess at this point the whole plan is in the wish phase.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 09:43:59 AM by Htsguy »

Offline smith

• formerly CorySnyder
  • 771'-Terminal Tower
    • Kevin Smith Photography
« Reply #333 on: June 06, 2017, 09:32:44 AM »
Like it especially:

Good job hiding the parking;

The mid block pedestrian way;

That they have plans for the east side of Nighttown which I did not know was part of the deal.  More density with the four story building and getting rid of some non descript buildings.  I wonder if this is just aspirational?  Do not know if the city owns this land where Zoos the Baker and a bank (I think 5th/3r but not sure) are.

Like the townhomes on the south side of Cedar but I am sure that the neighborhoods are going to go ballistic and put up a fight.  Might not happen.  Again, Aspirational?  Actually, I guess at this point the whole plan is in the wish phase.

Nighttown owns the Zoss building and 5/3 owns their site.  Can't say about 5/3, but I would think Nighttown would want to partner with the developer - maybe take an ownership in the overall development for giving up their buildings.

Offline Clevelander17

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #334 on: June 06, 2017, 10:45:21 AM »
That looks fantastic. Development at this location is a long-time coming as the neighborhood is really the gateway to Cleveland Heights. I just didn't realize how expansive they planned on making it; I really thought it would only be the old Doctors' Hospital corner and not stretch so much further, but I'm okay with that.

Online MuRrAy HiLL

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #335 on: June 06, 2017, 01:24:33 PM »
A document posted on the city's website also mentions a 110-room Element hotel, a Westin-affiliated, extended-stay brand that's billed as eco-friendly.

The extended-stay hotel inclusion is spot on for what needed in the area.  I can't tell you how many times I've run into people looking for short term housing for a couple weeks or couple months tied to Case Western Reserve, Cleveland Clinic, University Hospitals, etc.

Fantastic proposal.  It perfectly addresses the pent up demand for more housing and desire for walkability.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 01:26:22 PM by MuRrAy HiLL »
“Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood. " -- Daniel Burnham

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #336 on: September 03, 2017, 10:05:25 AM »
Spirit Corner brings neighborhood together after vacant eyesore is finally razed (photos)
https://articles.cleveland.com/tipoff/index.ssf/2017/09/when_a_vacant_house_in_clevela.amp

Offline Clevelander17

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #337 on: September 03, 2017, 11:28:56 AM »
Spirit Corner brings neighborhood together after vacant eyesore is finally razed (photos)
https://articles.cleveland.com/tipoff/index.ssf/2017/09/when_a_vacant_house_in_clevela.amp

As a teenager, my friends and I would drive over to that house every once in a while to take a look and maybe dare each other to knock on the door. As I recall, the house was almost certainly abandoned, but my memory tells me that there was always a light on in the attic. The rumor was that if you looked into that room from the correct angle, you could see the shadow of a noose on the wall. The tale was that a lady that had lived there had committed suicide and that it was haunted.

I'd like to know more about the real story behind the "Ghost House" and perhaps how some of these rumors began.

Anyhow, I have driven by that area since the house has been torn down and the pocket park has been built. It's a nice asset for a really unique area.

Online PoshSteve

• 629'-Rhodes State Tower
« Reply #338 on: September 03, 2017, 01:10:54 PM »
The man who owned that property before it was demoed owns countless vacant and abandoned properties. Great to see that something good came from one of them.

Offline mam178

• 0'-Surface Lot
« Reply #339 on: Today at 05:17:21 PM »
There is a community meeting on the Top of the Hill Project tonight at 7pm at the Cleveland Heights Community Center. I am planning to go and happy to post updates and notes from the meeting afterwards.

Remove Ads