Author Topic: Cleveland: Edgewater Park  (Read 53625 times)

Offline peterdietz

• 367'-PNC Bank
Re: Cleveland: Edgewater Park
« Reply #245 on: July 07, 2016, 12:08:30 PM »
Anyone know anything about this Cleveland Waterfront District Plan poster: http://planning.city.cleveland.oh.us/lakefront/iactive/poster/waterfront_poster.pdf

I'm guessing its an "idealized Cleveland waterfront", from some point in time in the past. But, does anyone know if that is used sort of as a guiding blueprint, such as how does this next decision work to accomplish this vision? As far as that waterfront poster goes, that's a pretty awesome vision for the lakefront. I do like the "future transit station" markings.

Lastly, I'd say that Edgewater is my favorite Cleveland-area beach by far. Its great for weekend family day at the beach, and Edgewater Live is good when you can bring a crowd and hangout on a blanket. Whenever we've had a friend in town, on a Thursday, its usually our first recommendation for what to do. One recent memory from Edgewater Live is that cavs game 6 was on a Thursday, and they promptly closed down Edgewater Live at 8:30, to let people scatter home to watch the game. Maybe there can be future public screenings of big games / distributed public watch parties. (As opposed to just the gateway plaza). 

Also, sometimes I wonder if there's potential for a resort-hotel near Edgewater, for people that want to have a stay-cation, or tourism. Maybe instead of that, building a first-class indoor/outdoor pool + sprayground.

Offline 327

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Fascinating
« Reply #246 on: July 07, 2016, 12:20:11 PM »
How about a full-scale music festival, like Comfest?  Edgewater seems perfect for that.
Vibrate your greenspace today with Frank Jackson

Offline seicer

• Premium Member
« Reply #247 on: July 07, 2016, 12:44:41 PM »
The only thing they have to solve is the constant combined sewer overflow issues that closed the beach a lot last year. Considering we haven't had much rain this summer/spring, that hasn't been a problem this year.

Offline surfohio

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #248 on: July 07, 2016, 01:02:46 PM »
Anyone know anything about this Cleveland Waterfront District Plan poster: http://planning.city.cleveland.oh.us/lakefront/iactive/poster/waterfront_poster.pdf

I'm guessing its an "idealized Cleveland waterfront", from some point in time in the past. But, does anyone know if that is used sort of as a guiding blueprint, such as how does this next decision work to accomplish this vision? As far as that waterfront poster goes, that's a pretty awesome vision for the lakefront. I do like the "future transit station" markings.

Lastly, I'd say that Edgewater is my favorite Cleveland-area beach by far. Its great for weekend family day at the beach, and Edgewater Live is good when you can bring a crowd and hangout on a blanket. Whenever we've had a friend in town, on a Thursday, its usually our first recommendation for what to do. One recent memory from Edgewater Live is that cavs game 6 was on a Thursday, and they promptly closed down Edgewater Live at 8:30, to let people scatter home to watch the game. Maybe there can be future public screenings of big games / distributed public watch parties. (As opposed to just the gateway plaza). 

Also, sometimes I wonder if there's potential for a resort-hotel near Edgewater, for people that want to have a stay-cation, or tourism. Maybe instead of that, building a first-class indoor/outdoor pool + sprayground.

That's from Mayor Jane Campbell's Lakefront Plan. I wouldn't call it a guiding blueprint as it had no teeth; it didn't have any force of law supporting it. The Edgewater portion was influenced by a since abandoned idea floated to relocate Port operations to an island.

Basically a lot of time, resources and effort went into that idealized, ambitious, yet toothless proposal.

Offline surfohio

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #249 on: July 07, 2016, 01:03:48 PM »

That's a great idea.

Offline Pugu

• Swimming the Cuyahoga
  • 947'-Key Tower
« Reply #250 on: July 07, 2016, 06:54:02 PM »
^Don's Lighthouse Inn was a hotel. The bldg still stands--its right at Edgewater Park at the corner of Clifton and Lake.

Offline Pugu

• Swimming the Cuyahoga
  • 947'-Key Tower
« Reply #251 on: July 07, 2016, 06:55:52 PM »
Quote from: surfohio
Basically a lot of time, resources and effort went into that idealized, ambitious, yet toothless proposal.

Its was a great plan. I'd say 99% of proposals/plans are "toothless"---they're just plans.  I still favor moving the port to an island and freeing up the land downtown.

Offline Cleburger

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #252 on: July 07, 2016, 07:48:30 PM »
^Don's Lighthouse Inn was a hotel. The bldg still stands--its right at Edgewater Park at the corner of Clifton and Lake.

Was it a hotel?  I thought it's entire history has been a restaurant and the owners residence?   

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=389521457870043&id=385662388255950
I got some records from World War II
I play 'em just like me grand dad do
He was a rocker and I am too....Now Cleveland rocks....

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #253 on: July 07, 2016, 08:07:16 PM »
IIRC, it was a Howard Johnson's.
"Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we've been waiting for."-- Barack Obama

Offline Cleburger

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #254 on: July 07, 2016, 08:46:53 PM »
IIRC, it was a Howard Johnson's.

I had no idea, so digging further.  According to this site, the Howard Johnson's was just a restaurant, and had shops:   http://wikimapia.org/1224060/Don-s-Lighthouse-Grille

Offline freethink

• 1450'-Willis Tower
« Reply #255 on: July 07, 2016, 09:02:15 PM »
Interesting.
I always thought that Edgewater would be a great place for a Kalahari type resort. Either there or Nautica.
live small  dream big

Offline Equillibrius

• 408'-Kettering Tower
« Reply #256 on: July 10, 2016, 10:21:39 AM »
A typical Kalahari-sized resort would absolutely dominate Edgewater Park. The hotel space could be compacted, but the building with the pool and water slides would take up a large portion of land. To say nothing about parking, which even a multi-level garage would take up space.

Though an outdoor pool and sprayground would be good for the park, IMO. Not everyone wants to swim in the lake, swimming is forbidden for days after a rainfall due to the nearby combined sewer overflow, and the NEORSD isn't making any plans to move it somewhere else. So a permanent swimming area would be perfect.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 10:22:22 AM by Equillibrius »

Offline freethink

• 1450'-Willis Tower
« Reply #257 on: September 30, 2016, 08:41:10 AM »
Work has begun on a revised Edgewater Beach House.  Although still at 14k sq ft the second floor is no longer enclosed in glass, which to me is disappointing. That could have been a great year round event space. But the scope of the 4.3 mil dollar project now includes improvement to the surrounding Parking lot, trails etc.  They hope to have it complete for summer 17.

http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ssf/2016/09/cleveland_metroparks_begins_wo.html#incart_river_home
« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 08:43:26 AM by freethink »
live small  dream big

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #258 on: November 27, 2016, 09:49:16 PM »
Steel work has gone vertical at the beach house project....
« Last Edit: November 27, 2016, 09:51:06 PM by KJP »
"Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we've been waiting for."-- Barack Obama

Offline freethink

• 1450'-Willis Tower
« Reply #259 on: January 20, 2017, 07:30:10 PM »
Last week. Second deck pour.
live small  dream big

Offline Equillibrius

• 408'-Kettering Tower
« Reply #260 on: January 22, 2017, 04:16:16 PM »
Two images I snapped today. Steel beams for the roof have begun to be installed, so structural work is almost done. The base for the pedestrian bridge that will connect the West 76th bike/pedestrian path with the second floor deck of the beach house is also being built.

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #261 on: February 14, 2017, 05:25:31 PM »
More photos. Have you see the progress of @clevemetroparks' 12,000 sq/ft $4.3M Edgewater Beach House?  #LakeErie https://t.co/EUM1POZKn4

Offline freethink

• 1450'-Willis Tower
« Reply #262 on: April 12, 2017, 12:07:04 PM »
live small  dream big

Offline surfohio

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #263 on: April 12, 2017, 12:20:30 PM »
To be held at Edgewater.

Cleveland lands world-class USA Triathlon

http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ssf/2017/04/cleveland_lands_world-class_tr.html#incart_river_home

I wonder if this is a nationally televised event? This could be a really good look for the city. August 2018, that's plenty of time to make sure the place is in top shape. There sure was a lot of garbage on the beach last week. It's a constant issue, I'm afraid. 

Anyhow I miss seeing the city and the lake on tv for the Cleveland Grand Prix. 

Offline Cleburger

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #264 on: April 12, 2017, 12:22:39 PM »
To be held at Edgewater.

http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ssf/2017/04/cleveland_lands_world-class_tr.html#incart_river_home

I wonder if this is a nationally televised event? This could be a really good look for the city. August 2018, that's plenty of time to make sure the place is in top shape. There sure was a lot of garbage on the beach last week. It's a constant issue, I'm afraid. 

I feel like the Metroparks step it up once we are "in season."  And they are LIGHT YEARS ahead of the State of Ohio's maintenance.

Offline surfohio

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #265 on: April 12, 2017, 12:27:24 PM »
To be held at Edgewater.

I feel like the Metroparks step it up once we are "in season."  And they are LIGHT YEARS ahead of the State of Ohio's maintenance.

Agree wholeheartedly about the improvement of Metroparks. Also I should have specified that the vast majority of this trash are plastics from the river, lake and likely storm drains. 

Offline freethink

• 1450'-Willis Tower
« Reply #266 on: April 12, 2017, 12:34:25 PM »
I'm pretty confident that the Metroparks will have it in top shape. By then the beachhouse will be up and running, the roundabout and surrounding parking lots and facilities will also be complete. Not to mention the majority of the shoreway should be complete and open.  Should look good. 
And I agree about the Grand Prix and there are rumors of its return.  But I have this crazy idea about running the race not at the airport but on the new Shoreway.  Imagine the cars running in that space with Edgewater as the event space. It would be a nice backdrop on TV.
live small  dream big

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #267 on: April 12, 2017, 02:13:12 PM »
Good thing GCRTA added that stop on the #55 at Edgewater (Saturdays only for now)!

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #268 on: July 13, 2017, 07:41:42 PM »
Watch @welshlyarms from the second floor of the NEW Edgewater Beach House! 360-degree views of lake and skyline. #EdgewaterLIVE https://t.co/OMCKuzf5iw

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #269 on: August 11, 2017, 10:34:57 AM »
Travelocity Gnome‏Verified account @RoamingGnome  17h17 hours ago
More
 #BucketList: Live life on the Edgewater. #ThisisCLE #EdgewaterLIVE http://travelocity.us/2uK4u16

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #270 on: August 11, 2017, 10:46:03 AM »
Last night...

Offline DeanSheen

• 629'-Rhodes State Tower
« Reply #271 on: August 11, 2017, 11:38:25 AM »
This was sent to me yesterday by a friend who lives in Toronto.

AD buy in the St Andrews train station.

Offline mack34

• 367'-PNC Bank
« Reply #272 on: August 11, 2017, 11:45:05 AM »
Great pics KJP!  That will always be the best view!!!!

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #273 on: August 14, 2017, 01:47:10 PM »
The Edgewater Beach House has been a hit this summer.
https://t.co/pPP3xOd0fo

Offline DeanSheen

• 629'-Rhodes State Tower
« Reply #274 on: August 14, 2017, 06:04:42 PM »
It has been so much of a hit that it is beginning to impact accessibility.

I'm wondering if it's becoming too popular.  The traffic is a mess and poorly handled during peak times.   Yesterday the trooper was giving the WB entrance preference over the EB entrance and then later they closed off the 73rd and Shoreway EB exits forcing everyone to go Shoreway West to get out.

Offline Cleburger

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #275 on: August 14, 2017, 06:18:22 PM »

I'm wondering if it's becoming too popular.  The traffic is a mess and poorly handled during peak times.   Yesterday the trooper was giving the WB entrance preference over the EB entrance and then later they closed off the 73rd and Shoreway EB exits forcing everyone to go Shoreway West to get out.

This just gave me an idea--what if the Metroparks cut a deal with Edgewater yacht club for a single dock and access through a gate.   Then they could run their water taxi service from the Flats, enable people to use the Waterfront Line connecting to the river taxi to the park.  Only hangup would be the stupid NS rail bridge at the mouth of the river.

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #276 on: August 14, 2017, 08:57:39 PM »

This just gave me an idea--what if the Metroparks cut a deal with Edgewater yacht club for a single dock and access through a gate.   Then they could run their water taxi service from the Flats, enable people to use the Waterfront Line connecting to the river taxi to the park.  Only hangup would be the stupid NS rail bridge at the mouth of the river.

See the freight train Lakefront Bypass thread. Then tell your elected leaders to look at it. :)

Offline mack34

• 367'-PNC Bank
« Reply #277 on: August 15, 2017, 08:24:14 AM »
^ exactly KJP....as I layed on the beach Sunday and watched trains go by all day long....What would it take to have a station right at the tunnel behind Battery Park?!  The traffic on weekends is a nightmare

Offline clvlndr

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #278 on: August 15, 2017, 10:37:32 AM »

See the freight train Lakefront Bypass thread. Then tell your elected leaders to look at it. :)

Of course, I'd love to have the freight trains rerouted inland away from the lakefront entirely has KJP outlined in detail in an article for the local "Greenie" publication nearly 20 years ago...

But currently I don't see the Iron Curtain bridge as being a major hang-up for a Metroparks water taxi over to Whiskey Island or Edgewater Park, as well as up the river to, say, Merwin's Warf restaurant.  The trains, though frequent and several miles long, at times, only last a few minutes and the then the bridge goes up rather quickly.  The Goodtime III and Nautica Queen often have to wait for the bridge, but it isn't that long ... The biggest problem is there needs to be more than one boat.  Certain local businesses subsidized the boat ride so it is now free to ride, but if there's no boat to ride... We often get caught up I the concept of a public transportation service being "free" without first focusing on the quality of the service.  I'd rather have a comprehensive river taxi service even  at cost rather than having a free service, like what we have, that basically useless an effective cross-the-river transportation service especially when there's any kind of crowd and lines.  Edgewater Park has become one of the most desirable assets of Cleveland and, really, there's no viable public transportation means of getting to-from there.  The water taxi would make sense especially since both Edgewater and the water taxi are now run by Metroparks.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 10:41:10 AM by clvlndr »

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #279 on: August 15, 2017, 10:47:18 AM »
^ exactly KJP....as I layed on the beach Sunday and watched trains go by all day long....What would it take to have a station right at the tunnel behind Battery Park?!  The traffic on weekends is a nightmare

As you may know, GCRTA already has a bus stop on the Cleveland State Line at the bottom of the Shoreway ramps for Edgewater Park, but for Saturday's hourly service only. The Cleveland State Line does not offer Sunday service.

But for something more noticeable and less-prone to having buses get caught up in traffic, a station could be built above the new Beach house. This might consist of concrete bus pads with long merge-in lanes, a standardized Cleveland State Line transit waiting environment on each side of the Shoreway, and stairs/ramp to the tunnel under the Shoreway. Might cost about $1 million...

csu-brt-batterypk-ohiocitys by Ken Prendergast, on Flickr

I did a mock-up of the proposed station at West 50th Street. A proposed Edgewater/West 76th station might be even simpler since no new grade-separated crossing of the West Shoreway is necessary. This is the West 50th station concept....

clevelandstatebrt-west50thstop by Ken Prendergast, on Flickr
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 01:00:44 PM by KJP »

Remove Ads