Author Topic: Cleveland Neighborhood Map  (Read 18519 times)

Offline 8ShadesofGray

• 1450'-Willis Tower
Re: Cleveland Neighborhood Map
« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2011, 05:53:20 PM »
^ Thanks! According to the Encyclopedia of Cleveland History, Tremont was part of Ohio City before the annex to Cleveland and was known as Cleveland Heights, University Heights and then Lincoln Heights before it was known as Tremont. And the neighborhood is named after Tremont School (Tremont Montessori today). http://ech.case.edu/ech-cgi/article.pl?id=T7

Offline skorasaurus

• 555'-LeVeque Tower
    • My blog/map portfolio
« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2011, 08:17:55 AM »
Thanks everyone for your help and comments. I updated the map. An updated version is added in the first page of the post or if you don't want to scroll back, click http://skorasaurus.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/version4-1-final_2011_05_05-cnm-1290x996.png.

In this version,
I added Hough and renamed the Collinwood neighborhoods (as North Collinwood and Collinwood as 327 had mentioned) and updated the street data (imported from 2007 TIGER and verified and updated by myself and a few others) from Openstreetmap 

EDIT: Just realized that I forgot to include Ohio City in this version  :lol:
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 08:27:58 AM by skorasaurus »

Offline WestBLVD

• 574'-Carew Tower
« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2011, 03:40:31 PM »
I'd take Edgewater down to the train tracks. No one refers to Clifton Blvd as being in the Cuddel neighborhood.

Thanks everyone for your help and comments. I updated the map. An updated version is added in the first page of the post or if you don't want to scroll back, click http://skorasaurus.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/version4-1-final_2011_05_05-cnm-1290x996.png.

In this version,
I added Hough and renamed the Collinwood neighborhoods (as North Collinwood and Collinwood as 327 had mentioned) and updated the street data (imported from 2007 TIGER and verified and updated by myself and a few others) from Openstreetmap 

EDIT: Just realized that I forgot to include Ohio City in this version  :lol:

Offline ClevelandOhio

• Premium Member
« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2011, 03:57:21 PM »
Just wondering if it will get jumbled if you try to show every downtown district

Offline skorasaurus

• 555'-LeVeque Tower
    • My blog/map portfolio
« Reply #39 on: May 18, 2011, 03:08:10 PM »
Just wondering if it will get jumbled if you try to show every downtown district

I hope not and I'm optimistic that it won't, if I decrease the size the neighborhoods' names. The names would still be readable on a printed out copy (32inch by 25inch~). I'm playing around with different sizes and don't have a fixed size in mind yet.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 03:16:41 PM by skorasaurus »

Offline StrapHanger

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #40 on: July 05, 2011, 11:15:16 AM »
Interesting. City of Cleveland redrawing it's statistical planning areas: http://blog.cleveland.com/metro/2011/07/cleveland_neighborhood_names_c.html
"Cleveland, as you see, is not an apple, but a bunch of grapes each of which has its own particular pattern-some large, others small, some round, others long and narrow, some sweet, others sour, some sound, others rotten throughout."  -Howard Whipple Green, 1932

Offline skorasaurus

• 555'-LeVeque Tower
    • My blog/map portfolio
« Reply #41 on: July 05, 2011, 11:21:11 AM »
Interesting. City of Cleveland redrawing it's statistical planning areas: http://blog.cleveland.com/metro/2011/07/cleveland_neighborhood_names_c.html

I was about to post that, straphanger beat me to it by a couple hours,  :lol: though I gotta run now, I'll update a bit later today.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 11:21:36 AM by skorasaurus »

Offline WestBLVD

• 574'-Carew Tower
« Reply #42 on: July 06, 2011, 10:14:50 AM »
Utterly ridiculous. Why in the world would they get rid of the Edgewater name? They just put up new signs too. It's not like residents are going to start saying, I live in Clifton-Cuddel. No one ever uses the Cuddle name.

South Brooklyn? Aerotropolis? No Kamms Corners? WTF?

Offline ClevelandOhio

• Premium Member
« Reply #43 on: July 06, 2011, 10:19:42 AM »
Utterly ridiculous. Why in the world would they get rid of the Edgewater name? They just put up new signs too. It's not like residents are going to start saying, I live in Clifton-Cuddel. No one ever uses the Cuddle name.

South Brooklyn? Aerotropolis? No Kamms Corners? WTF?

It would be a mistake to remove the Edgewater name. And it seems that Old Brooklyn residents are fighting to keep the name as it is. Aerotropolis sounds like a Disney movie.

Offline MyTwoSense

• 40+ and Fly
  • 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • back with a vengeance!
« Reply #44 on: July 06, 2011, 11:17:46 AM »
This is happening all over, not just Cleveland.  Developers and in some cases neighborhood associations believe in "fresh starts" and name change makes "gentrification" and new development easier.

Right in Harlem, developers are trying to change the name of a portion below 125 to SoHa from the more common "Central Harlem"/"Harlem" or the historical "the flats" name.
my 2      Please Sell Crazy Someplace Else....We Have Excess Inventory Here!!

Offline WestBLVD

• 574'-Carew Tower
« Reply #45 on: July 06, 2011, 11:57:42 AM »
This is happening all over, not just Cleveland.  Developers and in some cases neighborhood associations believe in "fresh starts" and name change makes "gentrification" and new development easier.

Right in Harlem, developers are trying to change the name of a portion below 125 to SoHa from the more common "Central Harlem"/"Harlem" or the historical "the flats" name.

I could see that being the case, but why change the name of the neighborhood in Cleveland that's one of the nicest in the city and replace it with a name that's not well known and associated with a mediocre housing stock? It should ne the reverse, give the neighborhood that's a bit fallen down the same name as a prominent neighborhood.

While we are at it, might as well start referring to Edgewater Park as Clifton-Cuddel Park.

Offline Loretto

• Premium Member
« Reply #46 on: July 06, 2011, 12:00:13 PM »
Good grief, who's bright idea was it to not just give these zones numbers and continue to let folks call their neighborhood whatever they want.

Offline MyTwoSense

• 40+ and Fly
  • 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • back with a vengeance!
« Reply #47 on: July 06, 2011, 12:05:09 PM »

I could see that being the case, but why change the name of the neighborhood in Cleveland that's one of the nicest in the city and replace it with a name that's not well known and associated with a mediocre housing stock? It should ne the reverse, give the neighborhood that's a bit fallen down the same name as a prominent neighborhood.

While we are at it, might as well start referring to Edgewater Park as Clifton-Cuddel Park.

That the Million Dollar Question!  However, I don't think it has anything to do with today's (current) housing stock, that's a non factor in my opinion.

If a neighborhood has a significant historical reference, then I believe that should remain. 

How have neighborhood/district names in Cleveland changed over the years?  A good look back may provide some insight.

Offline skorasaurus

• 555'-LeVeque Tower
    • My blog/map portfolio
« Reply #48 on: July 06, 2011, 01:55:40 PM »

Although important, SPAs are just one influence in the name of a Cleveland neighborhood.

Regardless, I think that the name changes proposed in the article aren't good.

At the end of the article, Old Brooklyn was mentioned to possible change to 'South Brooklyn.' That proposed change is asinine and wouldn't benefit the neighborhood. Old Brooklyn, as a name, has been perpetuated in its use by residents and stakeholders in the neighborhood for over 2 decades. As mentioned in the article, the historical significance of 'South Brooklyn' is very limited and is very distant, last formally used in 1905. Currently, the only business or entity in the area that refers to the area as South Brooklyn is the Cleveland Public Library's South Brooklyn Branch, located on the corner of State and Pearl. As an Old Brooklyn resident, the change wouldn't benefit the neighborhood. 
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 03:41:27 PM by skorasaurus »

Offline skorasaurus

• 555'-LeVeque Tower
    • My blog/map portfolio
« Reply #49 on: July 15, 2011, 11:01:34 AM »

I'm rolling out an update in the coming days but I'd like your advice for the borders of Asiatown and st. Clair-Superior.

According to the St. Clair-Superior CDC, their borders are "St. Clair Superior Development Corporation service area extends from East 30th Street on the Western Boundary to Martin Luther King Boulevard as the Eastern Boundary, South to Superior and Payne Avenues and North to the Lake" http://www.stclairsuperior.org/ABOUT_US.neighborhood.html

The Asiatown website defines its own borders as "East 30th to East 40th Streets between St. Clair and Payne Avenues."
http://www.asiatowncleveland.com/current.asp

According to those two self-definitions, Asiatown is completely within the St.Clair-Superior neighborhood. 

Personally, I always thought Asiatown as a distinct neighborhood separate from St.Clair-Superior. I also didn't know a CDC serviced that area of 'st. clair-superior' or I wonder if that's the name its stakeholders (residents, business owners, community leaders - elected or unelected, and others) use to self-identify their neighborhood and what area(s) do they define to be their neighborhood.

Anyone on the boards who spends a lot of time in those areas would like to share their experiences ? What do you believe Asiatown and St.Clair-Superior to be ? Do you call the neighborhood St.Clair-Superior ?

« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 04:41:23 PM by skorasaurus »

Offline Matches

• God of skinny punks.
  • 555'-LeVeque Tower
  • Eloquently sarcastic
    • Benander Games / Sports Data
« Reply #50 on: July 16, 2011, 09:17:46 AM »
I'd say Asiatown is an area within the Neighborhood of St. Clair-Superior, then.  Neighborhood is loosely defined, and what we know as the "titled" neighborhoods in Cleveland are rather large compared to what one might colloquially think of as a neighborhood.  Perhaps think of Asiatown as like a less geographically named version of something like Five Points in Collinwood?  Or really, the Warehouse District or any of those subregions of the "Downtown" neighborhood..  If you're making a map of the known "neighborhoods" you'll do a disservice if you don't include Asiatown, I think, but then I've seen maps that show the area west of E. 55th as being part of "Goodrich-Kirtland Park." Perhaps it doesn't have it's own CDC and so the St. Clair-Superior site defined its borders accordingly.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 09:24:03 AM by Matches »
"The urban core is a net importer of young adults and a net exporter of old adults. That's the antithesis of a dying city."

Offline skorasaurus

• 555'-LeVeque Tower
    • My blog/map portfolio
« Reply #51 on: July 22, 2011, 01:54:42 PM »

I've updated the Cleveland Neighborhood map, here's an updated version.

Thanks to everyone for their knowledge and suggestions. I've added Asia Town and Ohio City.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 01:55:23 PM by skorasaurus »

Offline MyTwoSense

• 40+ and Fly
  • 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • back with a vengeance!
« Reply #52 on: July 22, 2011, 01:57:27 PM »
Where is Shaker-Buckeye?  It can't be that little dot above Mount Pleasant.

Offline skorasaurus

• 555'-LeVeque Tower
    • My blog/map portfolio
« Reply #53 on: July 23, 2011, 11:35:38 AM »

It is not, that little dot is Larchmere. A larger copy of the map can be seen at http://skorasaurus.files.wordpress.com/2011/07/version4-2-final_2011_07_22-cnm.png

MTS, I'd love to hear your 2 cents on Buckeye/Shaker. =)

Is Buckeye-Shaker one neighborhood ? Sounding ignorant, but is it often called that by residents and stakeholders ? 
I drive through the area weekly; Shaker Square and Buckeye are appear to be branded as two different entities. For example, I haven't seen any businesses or churches in the general area named Shaker/Buckeye; but I think there may be a couple named Buckeye (and Buckeye Plaza). I'll be the first to admit that I am not very familiar with the area but

Is Larchmere just a part of the Buckeye-Shaker Neigbhorhood ? If so, perhaps it and Shaker Square are subneighborhoods within the Buckeye-Shaker neighborhood.

Offline MyTwoSense

• 40+ and Fly
  • 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • back with a vengeance!
« Reply #54 on: July 24, 2011, 10:11:06 PM »

It is not, that little dot is Larchmere. A larger copy of the map can be seen at http://skorasaurus.files.wordpress.com/2011/07/version4-2-final_2011_07_22-cnm.png

MTS, I'd love to hear your 2 cents on Buckeye/Shaker. =)

Is Buckeye-Shaker one neighborhood ? Sounding ignorant, but is it often called that by residents and stakeholders ? 
I drive through the area weekly; Shaker Square and Buckeye are appear to be branded as two different entities. For example, I haven't seen any businesses or churches in the general area named Shaker/Buckeye; but I think there may be a couple named Buckeye (and Buckeye Plaza). I'll be the first to admit that I am not very familiar with the area but

Is Larchmere just a part of the Buckeye-Shaker Neigbhorhood ? If so, perhaps it and Shaker Square are subneighborhoods within the Buckeye-Shaker neighborhood.
Yes Shaker-Buckeye is the neighborhood/ward.  Most people refer to the entire area, The Square itself, The morelands and parallel streets west of 121 Street as "The Square" or "Shaker Square".

Buckeye plaza is in the Shaker-Buckeye neighborhood, but not a part of "the Square" itself.

Offline skorasaurus

• 555'-LeVeque Tower
    • My blog/map portfolio
« Reply #55 on: October 25, 2011, 11:50:49 AM »

After a lot of behind the scenes work on it [nearly every day for the past month or 2], 
I made an update to it last week, adding brooklyn centre and Lake Erie.

Thanks for the feedback and insight, MTS. To help me understand, would you classify this area - http://i.imgur.com/Doz5a.png - as 'the square' or 'Shaker Square' ? Would you extend further south to buckeye ? Any other thoughts ?

thanks,
will.

Offline MyTwoSense

• 40+ and Fly
  • 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • back with a vengeance!
« Reply #56 on: October 25, 2011, 01:09:34 PM »

After a lot of behind the scenes work on it [nearly every day for the past month or 2], 
I made an update to it last week, adding brooklyn centre and Lake Erie.

Thanks for the feedback and insight, MTS. To help me understand, would you classify this area - http://i.imgur.com/Doz5a.png - as 'the square' or 'Shaker Square' ? Would you extend further south to buckeye ? Any other thoughts ?

thanks,
will.

Between Fairhill and Larchemere, move the boundary to E. 124 St.  Kemper, N. Moreland, Kendall, etc. are apart of the Shaker Square "area", even though all or part of the street is in Shaker Heights.  [If in Shaker they go under their Shaker Heights Neighborhood designation.  Example Chesire would be in the Shaker Square area, but the Boulevard neighborhood of Shaker Heights. ]

Between Larchmere and Shaker move the border to E. 126 St.

Between Shaker and Buckeye move the border to E. 126 St.

Between Buckeye and Griffin the border is 128 St.

Between S. Moreland and Chadbourne, add Drexmore.

East of S. Moreland follow the Shaker Hts/Cleveland border

Thats the Shaker Square Neighborhood.

Offline skorasaurus

• 555'-LeVeque Tower
    • My blog/map portfolio
« Reply #57 on: December 19, 2011, 01:18:00 PM »

A long overdue update is finally coming within the next 72 hours =)

Offline skorasaurus

• 555'-LeVeque Tower
    • My blog/map portfolio
« Reply #58 on: December 21, 2011, 10:06:04 AM »

not to thread spam, but it's updated !

Some updates:
- Added University Circle, Glenville, Buckeye, Union-Miles Neighborhoods
- Renamed Larchmere to Shaker Square thanks to mytwosense http://www.urbanohio.com/forum2/index.php/topic,25700.msg583668.html#msg583668
(Larchmere will be readded as a sub-neighborhood)

Remove Ads