Author Topic: Cleveland: East Side Neighborhood Development  (Read 113706 times)

Offline MidwestChamp

• 574'-Carew Tower
Re: Cleveland: East Side Neighborhood Development
« Reply #140 on: August 13, 2012, 10:05:15 PM »
This looks like the best place to post this...

Cleveland's old Slovenian neighborhood hopes a popup spurt sparks a revival
Published: Monday, August 13, 2012, 6:00 AM     Updated: Monday, August 13, 2012, 4:02 PM
By Robert L. Smith, The Plain Dealer

In the old Slovenian neighborhood of Cleveland, empty buildings with pedigree hunker down in patient silence, as if waiting for the good times to roll again on St. Clair Avenue.

You can almost hear the shuttered Croatian Bookstore at East 64th Street whispering "shhh" to the nearby Slovenian National Home, where the dance floor still thrums to polka parties but where most of the storefronts -- like much of the block -- stand empty and still.

Neighborhood planners hope a bold business strategy infuses new vigor into a ghostly shopping district and rather quickly. Like, all at once.
The St. Clair Superior Development Corp., working with the Urban League of Greater Cleveland, will take a crack at creating a popup neighborhood with permanence. Offering merchants free rent and other enticements, the partners plan to welcome 10 businesses simultaneously next month on a two-block stretch of St. Clair and let capitalism work its magic.

http://www.cleveland.com/business/index.ssf/2012/08/clevelands_old_slovenian_neigh.html

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #141 on: August 14, 2012, 07:52:54 AM »
Another business in that same area.....

http://planning.city.cleveland.oh.us/bza/agenda/2012/crr08-27-2012.pdf

Board of Zoning Appeals
August 27, 2012
9:30
Ward 7
Calendar No. 12-135:
6321 St. Clair Avenue
TJ Dow
16 Notices

Jessica Harris, owner, appeals for an expansion of use to include entertainment (ballroom) and rental apartments in an existing three-story building, located on a 100’ x 134.32’ corner lot in a C1 Local Retail Business District, where the proposed entertainment use, a ballroom, is not permitted under the limitations in Section 343.01 and first permitted in a General Retail Business District, provided it is distanced not less than 500 feet of a residential district, a school, public library, church, playground, public or non-profit recreation center or from another enter-tainment center in accordance with Section 343.11(b)(2)(L); and a maximum lot area coverage of 10,000 square feet is proposed contrary to Section 357.04(a) and 6,716 square feet that is allowed; and no front yard is pro-posed contrary to Section 357.04(a) and a required depth of 26 feet and there is no rear yard proposed where a depth of 20 feet is required under Section 357.08(b)(2); and 11 parking spaces are proposed contrary to Section 349.04(e) and a required 68 off-street spaces; no landscaping is proposed along East 64th Street where the park-ing abuts the street and a 6’ wide landscaped strip is required according to Section 352.11 in the Cleveland Codi-fied Ordinances. (Filed 7-31-12)
"George Washington could never tell a lie.
Richard Nixon could never tell the truth.
Donald Trump cannot tell the difference."

-- Mark Shields,  News Hour

Offline gottaplan

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Sidewalk Superintendent extraordinaire
« Reply #142 on: August 14, 2012, 09:39:10 PM »
Old remaining Garden Valley Housing Projects (how many other cities had projects with the same name?) are getting demolished finally.  Not sure when anything will go back in the place, but it should improve the looks of the area nonetheless.  They've been vacant for 3 years now.

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #143 on: August 20, 2012, 08:57:13 PM »
Anyone have more info on this? And is this near League Park?

City Planning Commission
Agenda for August 17, 2012

Resolution No. 1066-12(Ward 7/Councilmember Dow): Intent to vacate East 66th Place for residential redevelopment.

http://planning.city.cleveland.oh.us/designreview/drcagenda/2012/08172012/index.php

Online X

• Global Moderator
« Reply #144 on: August 20, 2012, 10:57:04 PM »
It appears to be the alley between 65th/66th and Quimby and Lexington, katty corner to the League Park ticket building.  That block has plenty of room for new housing.

Offline 8ShadesofGray

• 1450'-Willis Tower
« Reply #145 on: August 22, 2012, 12:55:17 PM »
can multiple pop-ups turn around blighted strip in st. clair superior?
Thursday, August 16, 2012

Pop-up shops, business-plan competitions and storefront incubators have been successful at attracting new stores to trendy neighborhoods like Detroit Shoreway and Tremont. But can they turn around a blighted retail district and help sprout small businesses in a down-at-the-heels east side neighborhood?

That's the question Michael Fleming, Executive Director of the St. Clair Superior Development Corporation (SCSDC), is determined to answer in the affirmative ...

... More available at http://www.freshwatercleveland.com/devnews/stclairpopuphood081612.aspx

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #146 on: August 22, 2012, 01:15:56 PM »
Pop-up shops, business-plan competitions and storefront incubators have been successful at attracting new stores to trendy neighborhoods like Detroit Shoreway and Tremont. But can they turn around a blighted retail district and help sprout small businesses in a down-at-the-heels east side neighborhood?

People sure do have short memories. Or they just can't see how neighborhoods can/do change. Detroit-Shoreway and Tremont were pretty dumpy places not too long ago.

Offline eurokie

• 555'-LeVeque Tower
« Reply #147 on: August 31, 2012, 03:49:59 PM »
This thread is devoted to news and discussion about the redevelopment of mostly African-American neighborhoods, primarily on the east-side. It seems that many developments, including those of a large-scale, have been overlooked on this board.

If there are already threads about a particular development project, please continue to post articles in those threads. If not, feel free to post them here rather than in the random developments thread.

THANK YOU for creating this thread.

$30+ million in construction projects will be taking place in Central and Kinsman in 2011:
http://www.bbcdevelopment.org/2011/01/bbcs-major-construction-projects-in-2011/

That doesn't include the redevelopment of the Garden Valley Estates (now called Heritage View Homes).

BBC development on the east side? Lol

On a side note, I read a whimsical feature in the PD the other day about bringing retail to Mt. Pleasant... Kinsman has amazing urban fabric and didn't seem too rough during the day when I was lost looking for Shaker Square last month...but I didn't get the sense of neighborhood potential. Is this legit or just spinning the wheels for grants?
Travels, issues, and ideas: www.greenlakebluecity.com

Offline StrapHanger

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #148 on: August 31, 2012, 04:58:20 PM »
^It's hard to imagine much of a retail revival on Kinsman, IMHO, as the population density and spending power drops.  Those trends are unlikely to change anytime soon.  A good comp might be Buckeye Road, which has a large suburban-style shopping center, and then a bunch of street-front retail housing churches, social services, non-profits, day care centers, but relatively few private businesses.
"Cleveland, as you see, is not an apple, but a bunch of grapes each of which has its own particular pattern-some large, others small, some round, others long and narrow, some sweet, others sour, some sound, others rotten throughout."  -Howard Whipple Green, 1932

Offline gottaplan

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #149 on: August 31, 2012, 05:04:57 PM »
Kinsman totally sucks from 55th to 93rd.  I drive it everyday.  The CMHA development looks nice but that's it.  That greenhouse facility being built near 55th is interesting

Offline StrapHanger

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #150 on: August 31, 2012, 05:37:13 PM »
^True that, but I assume eurokie means the eastern parts of Kinsman that are a bit more intact.
"Cleveland, as you see, is not an apple, but a bunch of grapes each of which has its own particular pattern-some large, others small, some round, others long and narrow, some sweet, others sour, some sound, others rotten throughout."  -Howard Whipple Green, 1932

Offline Mov2Ohio

• 1450'-Willis Tower
« Reply #151 on: August 31, 2012, 06:39:23 PM »
I like the pop-up neighborhood idea. I think each of these blighted neighborhoods needs a pillar of stability in them that can attract businesses, and private investment. Something people want to be near.  Something similar to how the Clinic and UH anchor University Circle, but on a much smaller, neighborhood scale. The question is what those pillars could be?
Without change, progress is impossible.

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #152 on: September 01, 2012, 07:37:54 AM »
I think Kinsman looks so much better from one end to the other (East 55th to East 155th near Lee) than it did in the 80s and 90s during the worst of the crack epidemic. Maybe some of you don't remember that, but I can remember it from 70s because my church was just north of there. Kinsman was a big Jewish neighborhood and my parents had some friends from there who were moving out in the 70s, but many of their businesses stayed until crack took over in the 80s. Sad how we use to run from neighborhoods when they changed, rather than stay and fix things up.

Anyway, in the winter of 2010-2011 I drove from downtown to UH's new Ahuja Hospital via Kinsman because I had some time to do it, and I was glad I did. There were lots of problem areas, but no bombed-out buildings with the windows and/or roofs gone, or piles of tire illegally dumped on vacant lots and people coming up to your car when you get stopped at traffic lights. Instead, I saw some vacant lots being tended to, old buildings in distress but attempts were being made to secure them, other old buildings that were fixed up and many new buildings, especially around East 79th and moreso, east of East 93rd. I've driven it several more times since, and seen more progress especially near 79th.

So it looks like the fall has stopped, but it's still got a long way to go to become a neighborhood people want to live in. It needs something to give it a hook. Perhaps its proximity to the huge urban gardens east of East 55th and along East 79th is that hook, combined with fresh food grocers providing wholesale and retail food markets and distributors in that area? I recall that being the purpose of Maingate, but I wonder if that could spread east along Kinsman.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2012, 07:38:19 AM by KJP »

Offline Dumbledore

• 1450'-Willis Tower
  • vive la France
« Reply #153 on: September 04, 2012, 03:31:48 PM »

I dunno, this is the most god-awful thing I've seen in a long time. At E. 83rd & Carnegie...

Across the street, the Fiarfax neighborhood center is much better

45% Cabbage (and so are you if you're reading this)

Offline McLovin

• 947'-Key Tower
« Reply #154 on: September 05, 2012, 09:41:33 AM »

I dunno, this is the most god-awful thing I've seen in a long time. At E. 83rd & Carnegie...

Across the street, the Fiarfax neighborhood center is much better

I'm liking the second building but that Rumi's Market building is just awful and uninspiring. The ball was dropped here, BUT it is better than looking at an abandoned building though.

Offline Mov2Ohio

• 1450'-Willis Tower
« Reply #155 on: September 05, 2012, 10:06:43 AM »
It took them a long time to finally get it open. It's been under construction for almost three years.

Offline Dumbledore

• 1450'-Willis Tower
  • vive la France
« Reply #156 on: September 05, 2012, 03:41:26 PM »

It is not yet open.
But I know what you mean. It looks much closer to opening but I suppose it could go into construction-hibernation again, prolonging the arrival of its opening even more.
45% Cabbage (and so are you if you're reading this)

Offline gottaplan

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #157 on: September 11, 2012, 01:23:46 PM »
Not sure how it's been kept out of the press thus far, but CMHA broke ground this week on their new "solar farm" located adjacent to the new headquarters building on Kinsman.  You can just barely see it as you're heading east up the bridge over the railroad tracks.  Apparently it's going to be several acres of solar panels.

Offline cleB

• 279'-First Energy Center
« Reply #158 on: September 11, 2012, 04:03:25 PM »
Yes, the CMHA solar facility will include several areas of solar panels, between 3' and 6' tall.  I'm not sure the exact count, but there are a lot of them and it should make for a very impressive aerial photo when they're all done.

Offline 8ShadesofGray

• 1450'-Willis Tower
« Reply #159 on: September 17, 2012, 09:25:44 AM »
Think we missed this one ... More than 80 applications from prospective retailers ... in a stretch that I don't think is on many people's radar currently! Between this initiative taking off in a span of just a few months, the urban grazing program next to Quay 55, loft conversions of vacant housing, Asiatown master planning, Superior Ave. streetscape improvements and a ton of public art stuff, I think it may be about time for St. Clair Superior to get its own thread ... Or at least a merger with the Asiatown thread :D

Retailers are buying into a popup concept in the old Slovenian neighborhood
By Robert L. Smith, The Plain Dealer
Tuesday, September 04, 2012

More than 80 aspiring merchants have applied to be part of a popup neighborhood along St. Clair Avenue on Cleveland's east side, including hopeful proprietors of a cafe, a confectionery, an interior design firm and a dance studio ...

... More available at http://www.cleveland.com/business/index.ssf/2012/09/retailers_are_buying_into_a_po.html

Offline Mov2Ohio

• 1450'-Willis Tower
« Reply #160 on: September 17, 2012, 09:52:15 AM »
I believe it was posted in the Cleveland Retail thread.

Offline 8ShadesofGray

• 1450'-Willis Tower
« Reply #161 on: September 17, 2012, 10:35:03 AM »
Sorry, you're right - I missed it! I still think St. Clair Superior is due for its own thread :D

Offline MuRrAy HiLL

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #162 on: September 17, 2012, 10:10:51 PM »
Not sure where to post this!

Cleveland Range will add jobs and expand in Collinwood

Published: Monday, September 17, 2012, 10:00 PM
Robert L. Smith, The Plain Dealer By Robert L. Smith, The Plain Dealer

A venerable Cleveland maker of commercial ovens is expected to add jobs and grow in strength and stature following an agreement with the City of Cleveland.

Following the lead of the finance committee, City Council Monday night approved a package of incentives that helped to convince Manitowoc Foodservice of Wisconsin to make Cleveland the headquarters of its oven manufacturing division.

That means new offices and more than 100 new jobs at Cleveland Range, which already employs 260 people at a sprawling complex at 1333 East 179th St. in Collinwood.

www.cleveland.com/business/index.ssf/2012/09/cleveland_range_will_add_jobs.html
“Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood. " -- Daniel Burnham

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #163 on: September 29, 2012, 01:25:24 PM »
http://planning.city.cleveland.oh.us/bza/agenda/2012/crr10-15-2012.pdf

Board of Zoning Appeals
October 15, 2012

POSTPONED FROM SEPTEMBER 4, 2012

10:30
Ward 10
Calendar No. 12-125:
13101 Coit Road
Eugene Miller
33 Notices

Ken Marous dba Site HQ, LLC, appeals to erect a 128 foot high ground-mounted wind turbine on an irregular shaped acreage parcel in a B3 General Industry District; and contrary to Section 354A.04(b), the ground mounted wind turbine is proposed at a dis-tance of 90 feet from the property line and 140.8 feet is the minimum setback distance required so that it equals 1.1 times the height of the turbine from all property lines, street right-of-way line and utility line; and the provisions under Section 354A.07, re-quire the following information to be submitted with an application for a ground-mounted wind turbine and accessory structures to demonstrate compliance with Chapter 357A.07:
an elevation drawing showing the proposed wind turbine and all structures and landscaping shown on the required site plan, indicating height, color and materials of the tower, all fencing and other structures;
where lighting is proposed for the turbine, a lighting plan indicating the location, color and intensity of the lighting, both as it will appear in daylight and at night and in-dicating any mechanisms to prevent glare on adjacent properties and streets to shield the lighting from residences, to the maximum extent feasible;
for any wind turbine that exceeds the height limit for buildings on the subject property, a vicinity map showing the property and proposed wind turbine, and the fenc-ing in the context of all property located within a distance from the turbine equal to three times the height of the turbine, and showing within this area, all streets and exist-
ing buildings and significant structures and indicating the residential use of any buildings and property zoned in Residential or Landmark Districts, such map being marked with topographic contours at five foot intervals;
a statement by an engineer licensed in the State of Ohio certifying that the proposed wind tur-bine will meet the noise standard of this ordinance with respect to impacts on properties in nearby Resi-dential zoning districts;
a statement indicating the estimated construction cost of the wind turbine and a statement indi-cating the estimated cost for demolition and removal of the wind turbine;
a performance bond or equivalent financial instrument, if required, sufficient to cover the esti-mated demolition and removal of the wind turbine.(Filed 7-20-12; testimony taken.)
Second postponement taken to have all pertinent parties, including the property owner, to be present for the hearing.

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #164 on: October 24, 2012, 06:59:32 PM »
This is a vacant parcel in Collinwood, across the street from the old Coit Road Fisher Body plant. A residence office? Sounds interesting.......

http://planning.city.cleveland.oh.us/designreview/drcagenda/2012/10192012/index.php

City Planning Commission
Agenda for October 19, 2012

Ordinance No. 1085-12(Ward 10/Councilmember Miller): To change the Use District of land on the north side of Coit Road between E. 140th Street and E. 141st Street to Residence Office.

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #165 on: October 24, 2012, 07:11:58 PM »
And in Glenville......

http://planning.city.cleveland.oh.us/designreview/drcagenda/2012/10192012/index.php

City Planning Commission
Agenda for October 19, 2012

NE2012-028 – Morning Star Tower Rehabilitation
Project Address: 10600 St. Clair Avenue
Project Representative: Jonathan Cana, Herman Gibans Foder Architects
[Tabled at last meeting.]

Offline inlovewithCLE

• 629'-Rhodes State Tower
« Reply #166 on: October 24, 2012, 07:19:20 PM »
Collinwood's where I'm from. I'm very interested to hear more about this project. Also, do we have a thread for Collinwood projects? I know we have one for Waterloo but I don't think we have one for projects in Collinwood in general (North Collinwood, South Collinwood, Nottingham, & Euclid-Green). With this project, the Euclid Beach Park project that was recently in the news, the Cleveland Range expansion project in Nottingham, and some others, I think Collinwood should get a thread if it doesn't have one currently.

Offline MuRrAy HiLL

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #167 on: November 09, 2012, 12:33:12 AM »
Pop-up retail center in Cleveland draws interest from the old and new world
Robert L. Smith, The Plain Dealer By Robert L. Smith, The Plain Dealer
on November 08, 2012 at 5:00 PM, updated November 08, 2012 at 11:32 PM

The words "Slovenian Auditorium" are chiseled in stone high above the storefront that will house Yvonne Jones's new business, a hip hop dance studio.

She's already met her next-door neighbors, friendly genealogical researchers, who asked nervously about music volume.

Jones is a pioneer in an effort to revive a faded retail district with a new generation of shopkeepers. She soon will bring her energy and talents to a trial designed to become permanent, as 10 or so new businesses open in quick succession.

"It's going to be all of us. All of us," she said, waving a hand at the vacant storefronts running down St. Clair. "And that's really going to be nice."

As it adds shops and galleries to a lonely streetscape, an uncommon business strategy will create a colony of sudden entrepreneurs. The likely camaraderie, Jones and others say, is as enticing as a rent waiver.

www.cleveland.com/business/index.ssf/2012/11/popup_retail_center_in_clevela.html
“Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood. " -- Daniel Burnham

Offline 327

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Fascinating
« Reply #168 on: November 09, 2012, 07:44:44 AM »
This is the sort of plan I really like, and I'm glad the CDC and Urban League are supporting it.  Maybe the tide is finally turning for Cleveland's commercial districts.
Vibrate your greenspace today with Frank Jackson

Offline PoshSteve

• 629'-Rhodes State Tower
« Reply #169 on: November 20, 2012, 08:29:27 AM »
Cleveland VA to open outpatient surgery center on Superior Avenue
By Brian Albrecht
Cleveland Plain Dealer
11-19-12

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- The Louis Stokes Cleveland Veterans Affairs Medical Center is hoping to establish a 10,000 square-foot outpatient ambulatory surgery center on Superior Avenue between East 89th and East 90th Streets.

The VA is seeking Cleveland City Planning Commission approval of the one-story new building, and the project will be presented to the commission Dec. 7.
The center will be built by the Downing Construction Co. and leased to the VA for 10 years for $1.4 million, according to Mike Downing, company president.

Downing said the center conceivably could be completed and open by late 2013, and speculated that it could prompt future neighborhood development.

"That area needs some vitalization, so hopefully it could get some additional business spin-offs," he said.

Hopefully that last part is right, and this project does act as an anchor for the neighborhood. quite a bit of abandoned lots along Superior...

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #170 on: November 20, 2012, 09:58:53 AM »
"vitalization"?

Like that area has never been vital or active before? Suggestion: "Revitalization."

Offline Hts121

• UO Supporting Member
  • It's still just like your opinion, man
« Reply #171 on: November 20, 2012, 11:33:19 AM »
Good news.  I stopped into the Wade Park facility the other week and it was absolutely packed.  I am not sure the transition from closing Brecksville is going all that well, even with the added space provided by the new construction.
Your true friends will help you up when someone knocks you down.  Your best friend will say "Stay down, I got this."

Offline StrapHanger

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #172 on: November 20, 2012, 11:41:44 AM »
Yeah, I'm going to boldly project zero spillover benefit from a one-story outpatient clinic and its large surface parking lot.  That sort of language is just another box to check off whenever a developer is talking about his or her project.

FYI, I revived the VA project thread yesterday to discuss the consolidation.  I had missed the scathing Inspector General Report when it came out a couple months ago: http://www.urbanohio.com/forum2/index.php/topic,13900.msg650575.html#new.

Offline MidwestChamp

• 574'-Carew Tower
« Reply #173 on: December 06, 2012, 11:17:56 AM »
Pop up shops, Slovenian Carnival (kurentovanje), Hope-Sketch arts project...there is lots going on in St. Clair Superior...and not just in AsiaTown!!

st. clair superior celebrates new retailers, upcoming public art project
THURSDAY, DECEMBER 06, 2012

This summer, the St. Clair Superior Development Corporation launched an initiative called "Retail Ready" with the objective of filling a slew of vacant storefronts along St. Clair Avenue....

Although the project has taken longer than anticipated, it has sparked a lot of fresh interest in the area, says St. Clair Superior Executive Director Michael Fleming. The faded strip also recently celebrated a new tenant, Nx Dance Studio, which opened its doors on Sunday with a room full of line dancers and music spilling out into the street. Three additional retailers are expected to open early next year.

Now, thanks to a $25,375 grant awarded by Cuyahoga Arts and Culture, St. Clair Superior is gearing up for a major public art project this summer that will beautify the street between E. 62nd and Addison. "Hope-Sketch: St. Clair Avenue Reimagined" will create large-scale public art with community input...

http://freshwatercleveland.com/devnews/stclairsuperiorhope120612.aspx

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #174 on: December 06, 2012, 03:49:17 PM »
Three vacant properties between East 55th and East 49th, north of Central Avenue, appear to be the subject of a potential development. Note the first four items on BZA's Dec. 10 agenda....

http://planning.city.cleveland.oh.us/bza/agenda/2012/crr12-10-2012.pdf

Remove Ads