Author Topic: Cleveland: Ohio City: Development and News  (Read 965653 times)

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
    • All Aboard Ohio
Re: Cleveland: Ohio City: Development and News
« Reply #4900 on: April 20, 2017, 09:40:32 AM »
Interesting small project:

http://planning.city.cleveland.oh.us/bza/agenda/2017/crr04-24-2017.pdf
Board of Zoning Appeals
APRIL 24, 2017

9:30
Calendar No. 17-37: 2201 West 33 Street Ward 3
Kerry McCormack
15 Notices
Cleveland Bricks, owner, proposes to convert a store to a four unit apartment building in a B1 TwoFamily
Residential District. The owner appeals for relief from the strict application of the following
sections of the Cleveland Codified Ordinances:
1. Section 337.03(a) which states that buildings with more than two dwelling units are not
permitted in a Two-Family Residential District.
2. Section 359.01 which states that Board of Zoning Appeals review and approval is required for a
substitution of a non-conforming use or building. Besides use, non-conformity also exists in
area/density (Per section 355.04, gross floor area is limited to 1,480 square feet, 4,515 square
feet is proposed), required side yards (Per Section 357.09(b)(2)(B) an interior side yard of ¼ the
height of the building is required and approximately 3 feet provided), and location and number of
parking spaces (Per 349.05 parking cannot be within 10 feet of wall of residential structure, and
Per 349.04 spaces provided due to improper location of 2 existing/proposed parking spaces).
(Filed February 8, 2017-No Testimony) FIRST POSTPONEMENT MADE AT THE REQUEST OF THE
APPELLANT.

"I play to people’s fantasies."
--Donald Trump

Offline clvlndr

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #4901 on: April 20, 2017, 11:13:12 AM »
Interesting small project:

http://planning.city.cleveland.oh.us/bza/agenda/2017/crr04-24-2017.pdf
Board of Zoning Appeals
APRIL 24, 2017

9:30
Calendar No. 17-37: 2201 West 33 Street Ward 3
Kerry McCormack
15 Notices
Cleveland Bricks, owner, proposes to convert a store to a four unit apartment building in a B1 TwoFamily
Residential District. The owner appeals for relief from the strict application of the following
sections of the Cleveland Codified Ordinances:
1. Section 337.03(a) which states that buildings with more than two dwelling units are not
permitted in a Two-Family Residential District.
2. Section 359.01 which states that Board of Zoning Appeals review and approval is required for a
substitution of a non-conforming use or building. Besides use, non-conformity also exists in
area/density (Per section 355.04, gross floor area is limited to 1,480 square feet, 4,515 square
feet is proposed), required side yards (Per Section 357.09(b)(2)(B) an interior side yard of ¼ the
height of the building is required and approximately 3 feet provided), and location and number of
parking spaces (Per 349.05 parking cannot be within 10 feet of wall of residential structure, and
Per 349.04 spaces provided due to improper location of 2 existing/proposed parking spaces).
(Filed February 8, 2017-No Testimony) FIRST POSTPONEMENT MADE AT THE REQUEST OF THE
APPELLANT.

This is both good and bad.  Good because it demonstrates the demand for rental housing in OC and here the neighborhood is getting a viable 4-unit apt from a rundown looking commercial building. 

Bad because this demonstrates the need for substantial multi-unit housing isn't being met, leading to numerous conversions of commercial properties and single family homes into small multi-unit dwellings.  While the several multi-unit dwellings have been, and are being built in OC's northern flank along Detroit, the Market Sq. area to the south, as well as the area south of there, hasn't seen any new apt construction at all in recent years.  The loft conversions at WSCH and the Jay Hotel have been the largest area apartment developments in the last few years, and yet these are relatively small projects.  As for possible new construction, the Market Square Plaza mixed-use TOD proposal a few years ago was hopeful, but has gone dark apparently for financing difficulties, among other reasons.  The planned infill in Duck Island to the west of the Red Line station can fulfill some of the need, but Market Square clearly needs substantial apartment growth to meet demand.  It's Cleveland's most popular entertainment district outside of downtown.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 11:13:48 AM by clvlndr »

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #4902 on: April 20, 2017, 11:15:18 AM »
I also like having neighborhood-scale markets in the middle of a neighborhood that people can easily walk to. So I'd hate to see this market go. But it probably wasn't exactly selling fresh foods and groceries, and was more about selling snacks, beer, wine and lottery tickets.
"I play to people’s fantasies."
--Donald Trump

Offline clvlndr

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #4903 on: April 20, 2017, 11:22:45 AM »
^Yeah, I hate losing stores like these too.  I don't know this particular area that well, but in many older neighborhoods these numerous little corner stores are part of Cleveland's charm.

Offline StrapHanger

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #4904 on: April 20, 2017, 11:22:49 AM »
^On the other hand, if these grungy lotto/cigarette markets are slowly being replaced by the newer small groceries on Lorain that actually sell high quality food, I don't consider it much of a loss. I mostly see a poorly maintained building in a fringe part of Ohio City drawing substantial investment, which is pretty awesome.
"Cleveland, as you see, is not an apple, but a bunch of grapes each of which has its own particular pattern-some large, others small, some round, others long and narrow, some sweet, others sour, some sound, others rotten throughout."  -Howard Whipple Green, 1932

Offline clvlndr

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #4905 on: April 20, 2017, 01:08:52 PM »
^I think there's a place for these 'grungy' cig/lotto/beer, etc. places right in the neighborhood.  When stores are selling 'high quality' food and are located along the main drag in the trendy strip, it's usually for the foo-foo crowd and usually smacks of gentrification.  I think some gentrification of OC can be good, but I'm not in favor of totally driving out all blue-collar working people.  And as we see with places like Family Dollar in Market Square, young professionals along with lower-income folks frequent the small brown-bag joints as well.  Many of them think these places are 'cool.'

Offline YABO713

• 408'-Kettering Tower
« Reply #4906 on: April 20, 2017, 02:58:32 PM »
^I think there's a place for these 'grungy' cig/lotto/beer, etc. places right in the neighborhood.  When stores are selling 'high quality' food and are located along the main drag in the trendy strip, it's usually for the foo-foo crowd and usually smacks of gentrification.  I think some gentrification of OC can be good, but I'm not in favor of totally driving out all blue-collar working people.  And as we see with places like Family Dollar in Market Square, young professionals along with lower-income folks frequent the small brown-bag joints as well.  Many of them think these places are 'cool.'

I used to buy beer at Fulton Beverage in high school. God bless "grunge" places
"They tell me of the River Cuyahoga in the Ohio territory; upon it a great city will emerge." - Correspondence of Thomas Jefferson in drafting 'Notes on the State of Virginia'

Offline 327

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Fascinating
« Reply #4907 on: April 20, 2017, 04:53:55 PM »
We do need these and they can't all be on the main drag.  I go by the "what if you need TP and don't have a car" principle for distribution of corner stores.
Vibrate your greenspace today with Frank Jackson

Offline metrocity

• 665'-Queen City Square
  • Wherever you are, Whatever you do, Look Around You
    • 650sq ft...Inspired and creative design for small spaces
« Reply #4908 on: April 20, 2017, 05:09:11 PM »
I used to live in Ohio City...mid nineties and I swear there were no corner stores. All there was were the gas stations. No nonsense corner stores are awesome.
Cul de sac is just another word for Dead End.

www.650sqft.com

Offline Barneyboy

• 408'-Kettering Tower
« Reply #4909 on: April 20, 2017, 05:25:33 PM »
I lived in Little Italy in the mid-1980s and there was an itty-bitty grocery/convenience store, not on the corner or in a strip or plaza, but smack dab in between a couple houses on Murray Hill Rd. (currently Club Leo). They sold mostly beer and wine but also carried all those little "oh crap, I'm out of_____" sort of things that you just don't want to have to get in the car to get. I'd come home from work via the red line and walk past this place   and they'd have just about anything you needed. Kind of harkens back to a by-gone era.
My a$$ is in Houston but my head and heart are in Cleveland.

Offline surfohio

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #4910 on: April 20, 2017, 08:00:08 PM »
I used to live in Ohio City...mid nineties and I swear there were no corner stores. All there was were the gas stations. No nonsense corner stores are awesome.

Please tell me you didn't hang out at that Irish bar in the hood!!!

Offline metrocity

• 665'-Queen City Square
  • Wherever you are, Whatever you do, Look Around You
    • 650sq ft...Inspired and creative design for small spaces
« Reply #4911 on: April 20, 2017, 08:09:01 PM »
^I don't recall that, but the Fulton Cafe for sure
Cul de sac is just another word for Dead End.

www.650sqft.com

Offline surfohio

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #4912 on: April 20, 2017, 08:28:06 PM »
^I don't recall that, but the Fulton Cafe for sure

Brief memory gain!

Marshall McClarens.....there was a child prostitution ring there. These were dark times in the O.C.

Online Clefan98

• 947'-Key Tower
« Reply #4913 on: April 21, 2017, 01:13:37 PM »
Project 29 Joining Westside's High-End Apartment Boom, Stoking Neighborhood 'Growing Pains'

The growing pains of Ohio City's commercial-residential interface are well worn territory for Cleveland's civic-minded base — and especially for those who actually live and work in the area. In the corner of Ohio City that some call "Hingetown," the question of how to negotiate neighborhood development is crystallized in the newest big-ticket project.

The development team behind Project 29 landed before the Cleveland Planning Commission this morning, and, by most accounts, they're well on their way to securing approval for an 11-story, 163-unit mixed-use site on Detroit Avenue between West 29th and West 28th. The project proposes two buildings ("The Church" and "The State"), split by a walkway that would be used for anything from concerts to wedding receptions. It's backed by westside power couple Graham Veysey and Marika Shioiri-Clark.

http://www.clevescene.com/scene-and-heard/archives/2017/04/21/project-29-joining-westsides-high-end-apartment-boom-stoking-neighborhood-growing-pains

Offline surfohio

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #4914 on: April 21, 2017, 01:58:10 PM »
Project 29 Joining Westside's High-End Apartment Boom, Stoking Neighborhood 'Growing Pains'

The growing pains of Ohio City's commercial-residential interface are well worn territory for Cleveland's civic-minded base — and especially for those who actually live and work in the area. In the corner of Ohio City that some call "Hingetown," the question of how to negotiate neighborhood development is crystallized in the newest big-ticket project.

The development team behind Project 29 landed before the Cleveland Planning Commission this morning, and, by most accounts, they're well on their way to securing approval for an 11-story, 163-unit mixed-use site on Detroit Avenue between West 29th and West 28th. The project proposes two buildings ("The Church" and "The State"), split by a walkway that would be used for anything from concerts to wedding receptions. It's backed by westside power couple Graham Veysey and Marika Shioiri-Clark.

http://www.clevescene.com/scene-and-heard/archives/2017/04/21/project-29-joining-westsides-high-end-apartment-boom-stoking-neighborhood-growing-pains

While I sympathize with some of the older residents, I think a lot of their energy is just misguided.

Offline StrapHanger

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #4915 on: April 21, 2017, 02:09:00 PM »
I definitely sympathize with people who don't want nightlife/noise coming into their quiet neighborhood. But the general solution issues like that is focusing intense development on primary corridors well served by transit. Which is exactly what this proposal does. So sympathies or not, I hope the city approves this project ASAP.
"Cleveland, as you see, is not an apple, but a bunch of grapes each of which has its own particular pattern-some large, others small, some round, others long and narrow, some sweet, others sour, some sound, others rotten throughout."  -Howard Whipple Green, 1932

Offline surfohio

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #4916 on: April 21, 2017, 02:19:24 PM »
I definitely sympathize with people who don't want nightlife/noise coming into their quiet neighborhood. But the general solution issues like that is focusing intense development on primary corridors well served by transit. Which is exactly what this proposal does. So sympathies or not, I hope the city approves this project ASAP.

Right. The opposition reminds me of an insular, small town mindset. Cites change. Constantly. If you want to live in a place where things never change well there's plenty of other places to live.

Offline YABO713

• 408'-Kettering Tower
« Reply #4917 on: April 21, 2017, 03:04:52 PM »

Another reason for closing West 29th from Detroit to Franklin and make it pedestrian only.

I was at Mason's creamery the other day when I overheard / eavesdropped on the conversation next to me. It was a young man, who obviously grew up in the neighborhood, speaking to his friend.

The young man mentioned the new proposed Project 29 and said "I would rather see the land vacant than more gentrification come to this neighborhood and price all of the residents out of the neighborhood." to which his friend replied "You realize you wouldn't be eating this ice cream right now if it were not for gentrification." Perhaps the best response I have ever heard in the perennial debate over gentrification.

I understand not wanting the neighborhood to change and nightlife to come into a neighborhood... but this is on Detroit Road, let the neighborhood fabric be insulated behind, let the thoroughfare thrive and modernize.
"They tell me of the River Cuyahoga in the Ohio territory; upon it a great city will emerge." - Correspondence of Thomas Jefferson in drafting 'Notes on the State of Virginia'

Offline TPH2

• 1450'-Willis Tower
  • Cleveland Boomerang via Washington, DC
    • Twitter
« Reply #4918 on: April 21, 2017, 03:44:05 PM »
... "I would rather see the land vacant than more gentrification come to this neighborhood and price all of the residents out of the neighborhood." ..

That land sitting vacant land = less housing available = available housing increases in price.
The quality of life in cities has much to do with systems of transport...Many cars, used by one or more people, circulate in cities, causing traffic congestion, raising the level of pollution, and consuming enormous quantities of non-renewable energy. -Pope Francis

Online down4cle

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #4919 on: April 21, 2017, 03:46:23 PM »
^ it's amazing how many people don't get this. 

Offline BCCLE1

• 468'-Scripps Center
« Reply #4920 on: April 21, 2017, 03:46:51 PM »

Another reason for closing West 29th from Detroit to Franklin and make it pedestrian only.

I was at Mason's creamery the other day when I overheard / eavesdropped on the conversation next to me. It was a young man, who obviously grew up in the neighborhood, speaking to his friend.

The young man mentioned the new proposed Project 29 and said "I would rather see the land vacant than more gentrification come to this neighborhood and price all of the residents out of the neighborhood." to which his friend replied "You realize you wouldn't be eating this ice cream right now if it were not for gentrification." Perhaps the best response I have ever heard in the perennial debate over gentrification.

I understand not wanting the neighborhood to change and nightlife to come into a neighborhood... but this is on Detroit Road, let the neighborhood fabric be insulated behind, let the thoroughfare thrive and modernize.

Why is the proposed Project 29 a good reason for closing off W. 29th St.? There is parking on W. 29th from Detroit to Franklin currently, so by closing off W. 29th that would only add to any parking problem created by building the Project 29 development.

W. 29th Street from Detroit Ave. to Franklin Ave is not at a point where I would think there is justification for, or the need currently to vacate it as a through street.  Would leaving W. 29th Street as a through street not help with the flow of traffic, rather then hinder traffic flow as the area around it grows with more apts/condo's/homes, and additional retail? I don't know, only time will tell.

What I do know is having three apt projects currently under construction in this part of OC, and the Project 29 development in the works can only be beneficial to OC, current and future retailers, and the CLE as a whole. 

Now if only Keiffe'rs could be revived (just without the Politicians).

Offline YABO713

• 408'-Kettering Tower
« Reply #4921 on: April 21, 2017, 03:50:18 PM »
^What is the name of the apartments currently going up next to Mariner's Watch?

Offline Htsguy

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #4922 on: April 21, 2017, 04:06:49 PM »
^Edge 32

Online down4cle

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #4923 on: April 25, 2017, 03:20:14 PM »
^ If CMSD were smart, they would sell this piece of highly valuable land but alas here we are. 

Offline surfohio

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #4924 on: April 25, 2017, 03:29:04 PM »
^ If CMSD were smart, they would sell this piece of highly valuable land but alas here we are. 

Agree, there should be a mandatory cost-benefit analysis with government held properties. Anyhow, glad to see the three preferred options all embrace Detroit in a good way.

Offline YABO713

• 408'-Kettering Tower
« Reply #4925 on: April 25, 2017, 03:35:21 PM »

Agree, there should be a mandatory cost-benefit analysis with government held properties. Anyhow, glad to see the three preferred options all embrace Detroit in a good way.

I have it on good authority that CMSD received a bid for the land that was RIH-DIH-CUE-LUSS

Offline 3231

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4926 on: April 25, 2017, 09:38:02 PM »

Designers "blown away" by potential of Irishtown Bend park as planning begins

http://www.cleveland.com/architecture/index.ssf/2017/04/planners_kick_off_plans_for_ir.html#incart_river_home_pop

Offline Urbanophile

• 665'-Queen City Square
« Reply #4927 on: April 25, 2017, 10:13:19 PM »

I have it on good authority that CMSD received a bid for the land that was RIH-DIH-CUE-LUSS

It's so stupid that they didn't even consider taking that - or at least considered selling off part of the site in favor of a school with more stories. Think of how many new computers and other things they could buy for their schools with that money.

Online freethink

• 1450'-Willis Tower
« Reply #4928 on: April 25, 2017, 11:29:42 PM »
A building permit for 1468 West 25th  St. is listed under the name Mark Raymond,  who I am assuming might be the same one who owns The Cleveland Hostel. Shows the job value at 2 million. Anyone heard anything about this building?
live small  dream big

Offline 3231

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4929 on: April 25, 2017, 11:33:09 PM »
A building permit for 1468 West 25th  St. is listed under the name Mark Raymond,  who I am assuming might be the same one who owns The Cleveland Hostel. Shows the job value at 2 million. Anyone heard anything about this building?

renovation, addition. hotel.

Offline lafont

• 665'-Queen City Square
« Reply #4930 on: Yesterday at 12:21:31 AM »

renovation, addition. hotel.
Good.  Now let's get going with it please, though I'd like to see new, well designed fill-in on the west side of West 25th.

Online Mendo

• 665'-Queen City Square
« Reply #4931 on: Yesterday at 07:53:36 AM »
Here is the plan for 1468 W. 25th from the Landmarks agenda February 2015:

http://planning.city.cleveland.oh.us/landmark/agenda/2015/02262015/index.php

Online freethink

• 1450'-Willis Tower
« Reply #4932 on: Yesterday at 09:29:40 AM »
^Good find. With the eventual takedown of the buildings across the street and the development of IrishtownBend look for more development on the westside of 25th. St.  That new Park will change Ohio City.  Can't wait.
live small  dream big

Offline viscomi

• 408'-Kettering Tower
« Reply #4933 on: Yesterday at 09:46:43 AM »
The last rendering of this project I saw, it had a an open courtyard to the north of the existing building. This is 100% better.

Offline 3231

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4934 on: Yesterday at 09:48:30 AM »
Here is the plan for 1468 W. 25th from the Landmarks agenda February 2015:

http://planning.city.cleveland.oh.us/landmark/agenda/2015/02262015/index.php

this image is from a past attempt to renovate and expand this property. That project fell through and the building/land was sold to another entity. But from what i understand, the new project will also include an addition.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 09:56:11 PM by 3231 »

Remove Ads