Author Topic: Dayton: Bicycling Developments and News  (Read 4222 times)

Offline Billy@MostMetro

• 0'-Surface Lot
  • DaytonMostMetro.com
    • DaytonMostMetro.com
Dayton: Bicycling Developments and News
« on: April 30, 2010, 11:08:39 PM »
We just got word that the City of Dayton has received a bronze designation as a Bicycle Friendly Community by the League of American Bicyclists!   :clap: :clap:

Dayton joins Columbus as the only recognized cities in Ohio - an effort that began over 30 years ago when they started building the over 230 miles of connected trail in the Dayton Region and has continued with huge efforts by the Miami Valley Regional Planning Commission, Five Rivers MetroParks, Miami Conservancy District and the City of Dayton.  This is only the beginning as the forces that combined to apply for the BFC rating are now focused on pushing forward to gain silver status in two years.

This is also great timing as Dayton is getting ready to open its new riverfront bicycle hub and pavilion at RiverScape - only the third such hub east of the Mississippi and first in a mid-sized city.

Finally - those involved with outdoor recreational facilities are also working with area leaders on a regional master plan to make our rivers navigable and ultimately a magnet for economic development.  Stay tuned...
« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 03:14:24 PM by Raging Wolf Bobs »
Interested in what is happening in the Dayton Region?  Check out DaytonMostMetro.com!

Offline Scrabble

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
Re: Dayton-Springfield: Bicycling Developments and News
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2010, 09:44:50 AM »
This is very good news and further evidence that Dayton is continuing to transform itself.

Offline seicer

• Premium Member
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2010, 09:47:56 AM »
Great news and the welcomed investments in bike facilities, paths, trails and markings have really helped.

I'm moving this thread to the Transportation sub-forum Roads & Biking.

Offline ColDayMan

• Administrator
  • ♪♪ An Apollo Legend! ♪♪
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2010, 10:49:49 PM »
Wonderful!
I love it when people come into a message board and immediately begin to mix it up.  I mean, Jesus, at least say hello!  Do you walk into a room full of strangers, pick a random woman, and tell her she's fat? - buildingcincinnati

Offline Scrabble

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2010, 01:52:23 PM »
No congratulations from the folks from the rest of urban Ohio (other than Columbus)? Jealous...

Offline Scrabble

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa

Offline Billy@MostMetro

• 0'-Surface Lot
  • DaytonMostMetro.com
    • DaytonMostMetro.com
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2010, 07:05:57 AM »
^ that's me in the yellow shirt on a bike ;) (not sure why they had to do the weird close up on me though)
« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 07:08:56 AM by Billy@MostMetro »
Interested in what is happening in the Dayton Region?  Check out DaytonMostMetro.com!

Offline Quimbob

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
    • Blogging Isn't Cool
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2012, 08:05:08 AM »
"The Center City Association is currently accepting submissions for its downtown bike rack design competition.
The organization is taking artists’ designs for the competition to help improve the physical environment downtown, as well as to promote bicycle activity in the city’s core."

http://www.springfieldnewssun.com/news/news/local/downtown-bike-rack-designs-sought/nTMxW/
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. - H. L. Mencken

Offline Rusty Shackleford

• 574'-Carew Tower
  • The Cincinnati/Dayton Metroplex (of sorts)
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2013, 04:42:13 PM »
https://www.facebook.com/BicyclesForAll

Don't these guys know that they would make a lot more money by specializing in carbon fiber frame bikes?  :whip:

(This is a repost of a forum message that was lost in the great forum disaster of '13.)

Offline Jeffery

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2013, 04:17:48 PM »
They are apparently still in business.

Offline Quimbob

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
    • Blogging Isn't Cool
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2014, 07:21:30 AM »
The city will examine ways to become more bicycle-friendly to increase economic development, recreation and transportation opportunities in the community.
As part of the first phase of the Springfield Bike Plan, a task force will be created to examine increased accessibility for cyclists, although commissioners asked staff members to find alternative funding for the initiative.

http://www.springfieldnewssun.com/news/news/local/city-seeks-bike-plan/ncgSn/
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 10:25:09 PM by ♥ CDM »
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. - H. L. Mencken

Offline ColDayMan

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2014, 10:20:04 PM »
Dayton to launch downtown bike share

A much-anticipated bike share program has received the funds it needs to move forward in downtown Dayton.

The $1 million project will see 22 new bike stations set up around and near the downtown area, with more than 200 bikes for use between them. The project, which will be administered by the Greater Dayton RTA, will launch in spring 2015, said Scott Murphy, director of business development at the Downtown Dayton Partnership.

“They’ll be a way for people to get around the neighborhoods, places of employment, the schools and the attractions,” Murphy said.

More below:
http://www.bizjournals.com/dayton/news/2014/03/28/dayton-to-launch-downtown-bike-share.html
I love it when people come into a message board and immediately begin to mix it up.  I mean, Jesus, at least say hello!  Do you walk into a room full of strangers, pick a random woman, and tell her she's fat? - buildingcincinnati

Offline ColDayMan

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2014, 02:41:23 PM »
Want to design the logo for Dayton’s bike share? Now is your chance

The Downtown Dayton Partnership is looking for people to design the brand for the coming bike share program downtown.

They’re also looking for someone to lead the new venture as executive director.

The bike share, which is being funded with $800,000 from the Federal Surface Transportation budget — and matched by $200,000 in funds from the city of Dayton — will see 22 bike stations set up in and around downtown, where about 200 bikes will be placed for community use between destinations in the city’s urban core. Customers will be able to pay for one-time bike use or annual subscribers. The Greater Dayton RTA will maintain the bike share, which will launch in spring 2015. The RTA will handle maintenance and bike distribution among the stations, and the Bike Miami Valley group will handle memberships, marketing and promotion.

More below:
http://www.bizjournals.com/dayton/blog/morning_call/2014/08/want-to-design-the-logo-for-dayton-s-bike-share.html

Offline ColDayMan

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2014, 02:31:10 PM »
Dayton Bike Share picks downtown marketing firm for branding project

A downtown Dayton creative firm won the contract for the branding project for Dayton's new bike share program.

Catapult Creative, which moved into the Talbott Tower as part of the Activated Spaces Pop-Up Program, was chosen to design the logo and roll out the brand identity for the community bike share program coming to Dayton in 2015.

More below:
http://www.bizjournals.com/dayton/news/2014/10/20/dayton-bike-share-picks-downtown-marketing-firm.html

Offline ColDayMan

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2015, 09:19:25 PM »
Bike share off to a strong start

Dayton's bike share has seen a quick start in its first quarter.

Link Dayton, the $1 million bike share program installed downtown earlier this year, has recorded 14,180 trips since its launch on May 5, from 400 annual members and 4,000 people who have bought one-day passes on the program, said Laura Estandia, the executive director of the program.

More below:
http://www.bizjournals.com/dayton/blog/morning_call/2015/08/bike-share-off-to-a-strong-start.html

Offline ColDayMan

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2015, 03:52:25 PM »
Dayton to host 2017 community trails conference

Dayton will be the host city for the American Trails 2017 symposium, which in 2015 drew 700 attendees and had an estimated $1.3 million economic impact on its host city.

The International Trails Symposium will be held in May 2017 and will bring together international trail and greenway advocates, managers, planners and users, as well as tourism and business interests.

More below:
http://www.bizjournals.com/dayton/blog/morning_call/2015/12/dayton-to-host-2017-community-trails-conference.html

Offline ColDayMan

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2016, 09:51:20 AM »
Downtown Dayton's bike share is expanding

Downtown Dayton's Link bike share program is adding new stations in its second year.

The downtown bike share program says it will add three new stations to its network in and surrounding the downtown region. This on the first anniversary of the $1 million program started to encourage more biking in the downtown area.

More below:
http://www.bizjournals.com/dayton/blog/morning_call/2016/05/downtown-daytons-bike-share-is-expanding.html

Offline ColDayMan

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2016, 08:19:50 AM »
Grocery bike delivery service headed to downtown Dayton

A produce bike delivery service is being tested in downtown Dayton, with the goal of starting the service in the spring.

The Market at Wright Stop Plaza, managed by Homefull, is working on a bike service that will deliver groceries from the market to people working or living in the city's core.

More below:
http://www.bizjournals.com/dayton/news/2016/12/02/grocery-bikedelivery-service-headed-to-downtown.html

Offline ColDayMan

• Administrator
Re: Dayton: Bicycling Developments and News
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2017, 05:05:39 PM »
:-o

A six-mile line of elevated rail could become a new bike trail if the city of Dayton is able to take control of the property.

A new bike trail could connect downtown to Kettering and the east Dayton neighborhoods.

More below:
http://www.bizjournals.com/dayton/news/2017/04/06/downtown-dayton-to-kettering-elevated-bike-trail.html

Offline ColDayMan

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2017, 04:27:11 PM »
New Dayton mountain biking park could begin work this summer

A new mountain biking park near UD Arena could begin work this July as its neighbor prepares for long-term expansion.

More below:
http://www.bizjournals.com/dayton/news/2017/05/11/new-daytonmountain-biking-park-could-begin-work.html

Offline BigDipper 80

• 574'-Carew Tower
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2017, 06:32:15 PM »
Meanwhile, Cincinnati can barely get a half mile of bike trail built in an affluent neighborhood.

Offline edale

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2017, 10:45:04 PM »
That's not even an apples to apples comparison, and I think you know it. Wasson Way is a rails to trails project, not a dirt bike trail in the woods. Btw there are similar dirt bike paths in Devou Park. Mt. Airy Forest either has one or will be getting one soon, too.

Offline BigDipper 80

• 574'-Carew Tower
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2017, 01:51:01 AM »
^the project directly above this one is in fact a rails to trails project, and Dayton has already done multiple rails to trails. I probably should have stuck a carat and a winky face on the other post but posting via cell phone makes things hard!
« Last Edit: May 12, 2017, 01:54:33 AM by BigDipper 80 »

Offline ColDayMan

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2017, 04:59:54 PM »
City pushes ahead for downtown-to-Kettering bike corridor

The city of Dayton wants to contract with a consultant to help it land the 6.5 mile stretch of abandoned rail line it envisions for a new elevated bike trail.

The city will vote Wednesday on a $29,000 contract with Wilmette, Ill.-based consultant RMI Midwest to help it appraise the value of a 6.5 mile stretch of abandoned rail line stretching out of downtown and to the east, along U.S. Route 35, turning south along Woodman Drive until it ends in Kettering.

More below:
https://www.bizjournals.com/dayton/news/2017/07/17/city-pushes-ahead-for-downtown-to-kettering-bike.html

Remove Ads