Author Topic: Cleveland: Downtown: Mall Development and News  (Read 88249 times)

Offline dave68

• 629'-Rhodes State Tower
Re: Cleveland: Downtown: Mall Development and News
« Reply #490 on: March 08, 2017, 09:36:08 AM »
Wondering if Mayor Jackson will say this plan is unsafe and provides a clear path for terrorism! :-)

Offline Firenze98

• 665'-Queen City Square
« Reply #491 on: March 08, 2017, 09:41:47 AM »
One nice thing about this is that there will be an outdoor seating area, which creates more activity facing the Mall after normal working hours.
"All architecture is shelter, all great architecture is the design of space that contains, cuddles, exhalts or stimulates the persons in that space."
Philip Johnson

“Blinding ignorance does mislead us. O! Wretched mortals, open your eyes!”  
Leonardo da Vinci

AIA, LEED BD+C, EDAC

Online mrclifton88

• Premium Member
« Reply #492 on: March 08, 2017, 09:41:55 AM »
A vast improvement, especially with whatever dining area they have planned.  I think the quality of the renderings are not great though, I would like to see more detail.  Based on the location of the dining terrace, they must be planning to re-arrange the layout of the Marriott?

Offline dave68

• 629'-Rhodes State Tower
« Reply #493 on: March 08, 2017, 10:23:29 AM »
With the debate and success of programming on the revitalized Public Square I wish the Group Plan Commission would reinvest the completion of The original Mall enhancements discussed over the years.  The extra monies that was left over from the sales tax increase to pay for The Convention Center ,Medical Mart, and Hotel should  be used for these enhancemnets rather than repurposed to pay for The Q renovations   There was an article last year that explained much of the improvements were put on hold because they wanted to see how the new hotels changed any use on The Malls. From what i have seen not much pedestrian usage was gained and focus was all on Public Square  The activities and amenities on Public Square shows what could bring life to The Malls.   Once a week movie nights, farmer's market events set along the promenades.  Food trucks on West Mall Drive,   a splash fountain on Mall A, permanent restroom facilities , further shaded area plantings, and added curated public art.  Many of GGN's plans included all of what we now see on Public Square.  Time to reactivate and finish the design to it's full potential

Online mrclifton88

• Premium Member
« Reply #494 on: March 08, 2017, 11:08:13 AM »
I agree...when the orchestra's Star Spangled Spectacular was held on the mall that to me showed its huge potential.  I still think that event should be moved there permanently.  The wide-open nature and slope of the Mall is perfect for very large scale events, much more-so than Public Square.  Each space has its uses, but right now it seems everything is being forced on PS...  There are many events like the SSS that are better on the mall. 

Online surfohio

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #495 on: March 08, 2017, 11:11:30 AM »
With the debate and success of programming on the revitalized Public Square I wish the Group Plan Commission would reinvest the completion of The original Mall enhancements discussed over the years.  The extra monies that was left over from the sales tax increase to pay for The Convention Center ,Medical Mart, and Hotel should  be used for these enhancemnets rather than repurposed to pay for The Q renovations   There was an article last year that explained much of the improvements were put on hold because they wanted to see how the new hotels changed any use on The Malls. From what i have seen not much pedestrian usage was gained and focus was all on Public Square  The activities and amenities on Public Square shows what could bring life to The Malls.   Once a week movie nights, farmer's market events set along the promenades.  Food trucks on West Mall Drive,   a splash fountain on Mall A, permanent restroom facilities , further shaded area plantings, and added curated public art.  Many of GGN's plans included all of what we now see on Public Square.  Time to reactivate and finish the design to it's full potential

All great ideas. The space is ripe for an outdoor plant, flower and landscaping expo there, perhaps even on a weekly basis. Invite the full spectrum, small florists, organic famer types and Home Depot/Lowes/ etc. as vendors.

Offline ExPatClevGuy

• 408'-Kettering Tower
« Reply #496 on: March 20, 2017, 11:28:15 AM »
Looking good to me: From today's PD.

http://realestate.cleveland.com/realestate-news/2017/03/new_key_center_owner_plans_out.html

Key Center renovations start with public spaces

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- The new owner of Ohio’s tallest building plans to set out a fresh welcome mat at Key Tower’s front door.

The Millennia Companies, which bought the Key Center complex for $267.5 million in late January, hopes to start an outdoor plaza overhaul in May. The landscaping project is likely to coincide with lobby renovations at the 57-story skyscraper, which looms over downtown Cleveland’s Public Square...
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 11:32:37 AM by ExPatClevGuy »

Online mrclifton88

• Premium Member
« Reply #497 on: May 11, 2017, 02:49:36 PM »
I thought this was quite interesting:  http://www.cleveland.com/musicdance/index.ssf/2017/05/cleveland_orchestra_announces_28.html#incart_river_home

The Cleveland Orchestra's Star Spangled Spectacular is moving back to Mall B this year.  In 2015 the event was held there while Public Square was being renovated.  I, along with many many others felt this location was absolutely perfect for the large scale event.  I know a lot of people think the mall is just a boring huge stretch of grass but this event shows the potential.  It isn't a knock on Public Square either, its just that something like this is perfectly suited for the Mall.  Having it back in the Square last year was ok, but seating and sight-lines were tricky.  I hope more large events like this can be hosted on the Malls.  Public Square has done a great job with programming since its renovation.  The Malls need the same.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 02:50:30 PM by mrclifton88 »

Offline MidwestChamp

• 574'-Carew Tower
« Reply #498 on: May 11, 2017, 02:57:31 PM »
^I think this plus the Cavs victory rally last June showed that the Mall is the perfect place for events like this.  Was at the rally last year (here's to a repeat) and being about halfway up the hill it was still very easy to see the stage and the activity.

Online surfohio

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #499 on: May 11, 2017, 03:14:40 PM »
^ ^^ Great points. I think the Mall along with PS give downtown two complimentary, unique options for these kinds of events.   

[edited for overuse of the word "great"]
« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 03:16:06 PM by surfohio »

Remove Ads