Author Topic: UrbanOhio Parents & Families  (Read 77612 times)

Online StrapHanger

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
Re: UrbanOhio Parents & Families
« Reply #630 on: October 23, 2016, 06:54:34 PM »
^Yours Truly should help (not sure if it's it's already open or not).

I can't speak to most of the cities on MTS's list, but the centers of Boston and NYC are absolutely crammed with easy and cheap/free ways to entertain little kids, with things like dog parks, play grounds, fountains, ducks/geese to feed, statutes to climb on, ice cream to eat. And I noticed that new(ish?) playground in Millennium Park just a couple weeks ago on google maps- it looks totally amazing.

Public Square is a great step for Downtown Cleveland, but there is still a lot of low hanging livability fruit that we should be spending public money on instead of giant chandeliers...
"Cleveland, as you see, is not an apple, but a bunch of grapes each of which has its own particular pattern-some large, others small, some round, others long and narrow, some sweet, others sour, some sound, others rotten throughout."  -Howard Whipple Green, 1932

Offline E Rocc

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Defender Of The Sprawl
« Reply #631 on: October 24, 2016, 05:43:47 AM »
Tower building is serious business:

"I mean, this man just can't be president of the US. I mean, they got this button, it's in a briefcase, he's gonna find it."
- P. J. O'Rourke

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #632 on: October 24, 2016, 07:06:00 AM »
[I've said this for years only for my opinion to be dismissed by people who don't have kids.  Not only is there very little for families with kids to do, there is nothing cheap, or free for them to do.  Nor are there many family friendly restaurants, if any.

Thanks. Until you have kids, you can't appreciate your children's needs. My kid was part of a package deal with my wife, and it took me a while to get into my child's head to truly understand what it is they want. So for the first few months of marriage, I still didn't see what my child wanted. It took me some time to realize what drives them and interest them. My interests were not their interests. So even for a few months after I got married and cared for a child, I still looked upon downtown Cleveland as a place where you could do a lot of fun things. That was Ken -- the single, childless Ken -- talking. I am a completely different person now, and everything in my life requires me to think of family first, and especially child first. So if downtown is to keep me as a patron, it has to satisfy my child. If it can't, it can't satisfy me.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 07:07:12 AM by KJP »
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I'll tell you what you value." -- Joe Biden

Offline E Rocc

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Defender Of The Sprawl
« Reply #633 on: October 24, 2016, 07:39:55 AM »
[I've said this for years only for my opinion to be dismissed by people who don't have kids.  Not only is there very little for families with kids to do, there is nothing cheap, or free for them to do.  Nor are there many family friendly restaurants, if any.

Thanks. Until you have kids, you can't appreciate your children's needs. My kid was part of a package deal with my wife, and it took me a while to get into my child's head to truly understand what it is they want. So for the first few months of marriage, I still didn't see what my child wanted. It took me some time to realize what drives them and interest them. My interests were not their interests. So even for a few months after I got married and cared for a child, I still looked upon downtown Cleveland as a place where you could do a lot of fun things. That was Ken -- the single, childless Ken -- talking. I am a completely different person now, and everything in my life requires me to think of family first, and especially child first. So if downtown is to keep me as a patron, it has to satisfy my child. If it can't, it can't satisfy me.

I’ve been saying the same things from a different and intellectual perspective, having basically spent three decades in my 20s I saw a lot of people who either lived or considered moving downtown when single or kidless, but it was pretty automatic that that changed once the kids came around.  It was largely because of the schools, but that wasn’t all of it. 

Now I have my kid and live in an urban setting, more or less.   And when she visits there’s some things for her to do but not all that many, especially when winter approaches. 

If you want families with kids to live in actual downtown, you’re going to have to address that.  In a way that makes those parents feel secure as well.

« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 09:54:18 AM by E Rocc »
"I mean, this man just can't be president of the US. I mean, they got this button, it's in a briefcase, he's gonna find it."
- P. J. O'Rourke

Online Jskinner

• 947'-Key Tower
« Reply #634 on: October 24, 2016, 08:28:53 AM »
^wait until the kids are 12-16 and your neighbors without kids want all the pools and basketball courts removed.  I really wonder what people expect tweens and teens to do in their free time. Hanging out and playing is not societally acceptable. 

But it is true in the suburbs too.  Teens just aren't wanted in public. 

Childhood and teen years should be about more than just school and organized sports.

Offline AJ93

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #635 on: October 24, 2016, 02:13:09 PM »
The Children's Museum used to be a good destination for my kids, but since they closed the UC location, they've been operating 'virtually', putting together events at libraries.

I thought the new location would be up and running soon, but based on this, it looks like they're not expecting to open until late next year. That's surprising because I was at the fundraiser last year and they had a very successful fund raise. The feedback was they had raised in excess of their goal.

https://www.clevelandchildrensmuseum.org/2015/08/28/plans-future-home/
Cleveland: Tell your dame it's the bee's knees! - 327

Offline Loretto

• Premium Member
« Reply #636 on: October 24, 2016, 05:51:42 PM »
I was having lunch at Noodlecat When a 5-6 year old birthday party rolled in, and the birthday girl proclaimed "This is my favorite restaurant!" to her friends *shrug*
« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 05:51:56 PM by Loretto »

Offline stpats44113

• Premium Member
« Reply #637 on: March 09, 2017, 11:57:45 AM »
Ouers,

The downtown playground plans are rounding the corner. If anyone can spare a half hour on March 22nd to lend support for the project, please do. I have extremely high hopes that this is going to happen. Location is still being discussed but all the major players on on-board and interested.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 12:00:19 PM by stpats44113 »

Offline E Rocc

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Defender Of The Sprawl
« Reply #638 on: April 03, 2017, 08:25:12 PM »
- P. J. O'Rourke

Offline E Rocc

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Defender Of The Sprawl
« Reply #639 on: August 02, 2017, 07:41:45 PM »
Third visit to Browns' training camp.

- P. J. O'Rourke

Offline stpats44113

• Premium Member
« Reply #640 on: August 02, 2017, 08:25:07 PM »

All girls E Rocc?? I have one (7) and she runs me into the ground. Cute kids.

Offline E Rocc

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Defender Of The Sprawl
« Reply #641 on: August 02, 2017, 08:33:19 PM »

All girls E Rocc?? I have one (7) and she runs me into the ground. Cute kids.

Same girl, ages almost three, almost four, and almost seven (last weekend).
- P. J. O'Rourke

Offline Hts121

• UO Supporting Member
  • It's still just like your opinion, man
« Reply #642 on: August 03, 2017, 01:34:15 PM »
I like her fashion/style
Your true friends will help you up when someone knocks you down.  Your best friend will say "Stay down, I got this."

Offline AJ93

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #643 on: August 03, 2017, 01:36:22 PM »
Cute kid. Too bad you set her up for a lifetime of disappointment  :-P
Cleveland: Tell your dame it's the bee's knees! - 327

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #644 on: September 12, 2017, 04:50:42 PM »
This is pretty cool event to take advantage of Euclid Avenue being closed for the construction of the crane to build the new apartment tower.

Play
Join us from 11 am – 2 pm every day, Wednesday, September 13th through Friday, September 15th for a unique public experience.

Listen to live music while riding a UH Bike around a demonstration midway-style bike lane. Play some lawn games while in town for an Indian’s game. Enjoy your lunch of delicious local food while playing an over-sized version of Jenga.

Or simply grab a chair and people watch.

Anything goes this week.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

A press release...

See: https://playeuclid.wordpress.com/

Contact
Thomas Starinsky
Associate Director
Historic Gateway Neighborhood Corporation
tstarinsky@historicgateway.org

What is the “Play Euclid”?
• “Play Euclid” is a three-day event taking place during lunch hours – from 11 a.m. – 2 p.m. – while Euclid
Avenue (between East 4th Street and E Roadway) is closed to vehicular traffic for construction.
• The street will be open for pedestrians, offering different activities and live music entertainment. Locals
and visitors will also still be able to stop in the businesses in the area while the street is closed.

Why is this being done?
• As a result of Euclid Avenue being closed for the start of construction on The Beacon (515 Euclid Ave.)
during the week of September 11, local organizations wanted to utilize this opportunity to do something
fun and interesting in the area.
• Groups also wanted to leverage this opportunity to offer more visibility for Downtown Cleveland
businesses.
• By making this portion of the street accessible for pedestrians, it not only offers entertainment during
lunch hours, but it gives people the opportunity to explore the businesses in the district, as well.

What kind of activities will locals and visitors find at “Play Euclid”?
• There will be a variety of activities offered at “Play Euclid” for locals and visitors.
• LAND Studio is providing lawn games and Crackling Art frog sculptures.
• Destination Cleveland will offer photo opportunities with its mini #ThisisCLE sign, as well as Giant Connect
Four and Giant Jenga, outside of the Cleveland Visitors Center.
• UH Bikes will set up a temporary bike station where visitors can obtain a card for a free 30-minute bike
rental.
• Live music entertainment will also be provided while guests walk around the area.

Who is involved with “Play Euclid”?
• This collaborative effort was spearheaded by the Historic Gateway Neighborhood Corporation who
engaged the following groups organizations that worked hard to put together this event in two weeks’
time: City of Cleveland, Downtown Cleveland Alliance, Destination Cleveland, Bike Cleveland, UH Bikes,
LAND Studio, Cleveland Urban Design Collaborative and Trust for Public Land.

When and where is “Play Euclid” taking place?
• “Play Euclid” is taking place Wednesday, Sept. 13 – Friday Sept. 15, 11 a.m. – 2p.m. It will be held on
Euclid Avenue from E 4th Street to E Roadway in Downtown Cleveland’s Historic Gateway District.

###
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I'll tell you what you value." -- Joe Biden

Offline E Rocc

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Defender Of The Sprawl
« Reply #645 on: September 17, 2017, 12:16:35 PM »
Enjoy your lunch of delicious local food while playing an over-sized version of Jenga.

Sponsored by Stark?  :)
- P. J. O'Rourke

Remove Ads