Author Topic: Interstate 71: Jeremiah Morrow Bridge project  (Read 14456 times)

Offline TheCOV

• 629'-Rhodes State Tower
Re: Interstate 71: Jeremiah Morrow Bridge project
« Reply #35 on: July 07, 2010, 10:07:03 PM »
This seems to be a ridiculous waste of funds.  I understand many parties are involved, and it is more complex, but all the more reason the money for this should go to Brent Spence replacement.  ODOT-  you suck!

Offline treesketcher

• 367'-PNC Bank
« Reply #36 on: July 07, 2010, 10:08:49 PM »
how profitable will this new bridge be?  where is the business plan?  how much will this cost the state per year to operate?  No one will ever use this bridge!  65 MPH is way to slow for a brand new bridge - if i cant go 120 miles per hour, its not even worth building.  Bridges are 1st century technology; havent we moved forward since then?  I heard the firm that designed the new bridge is baaaaaaad.  The new bridge is ugly and noisy.  Can't we take the money for the bridge and invest it in our neighborhoods and local businesses?  This bridge will never happen, ODOT is going to build the pittsburgh to chicago bridge instead!  Why doesnt this brand new bridge take me to my front door?  Even when i get off the bridge, theres nothing to do and nowhere to go!  This will take 20 years to build and by then we'll all have flying cars. 

Offline jmecklenborg

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • An Apollo Legend
« Reply #37 on: July 07, 2010, 10:16:45 PM »
They're probably going to do the thing where both directions get routed on one old bridge while the first new one is built in place of the old one.  It seems like they could reuse the piers and simply rebuild the deck, since that was the problem in Minneapolis, but they're probably going to rebuild the whole thing because it's getting 90% federal funds. 

It's like, the state is probably who decided to go with this design back in 1960, so the state should have to pay to rebuild it, in which case they'd figure out a cheaper way to do it.   

Offline Ram23

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #38 on: July 08, 2010, 09:45:34 AM »
I don’t get why everyone constantly points out that the design of this bridge is similar to the one that collapsed in MN.  Yeah, they were both trusses.  There were undersized structural members used on the bridge that collapsed, it’s not like there is some inherent structural problem with trusses.  As long as the sizes were properly calculated, there shouldn’t be a whole lot wrong with this bridge.  I would like to see more of the logic behind the reasoning for replacement.

Offline taestell

• Global Moderator
  • 부자태
    • UrbanCincy
« Reply #39 on: July 08, 2010, 11:20:39 AM »
This project makes you wonder if they are actually telling the truth regarding the reliability of the bridge. Also, shouldn't these bridges be three lanes in both directions to anticipate future growth? This project feels rushed...

"The design accommodates future widening of I-71 by having sufficient bridge width to allow three, 12-foot-wide lanes with shoulders of unspecified width."
Check out my photography on Flickr or Instagram | Twitter: @urbancincy & @taestell | The UrbanCincy Podcast (iTunes)

Offline Mr Sparkle

• 665'-Queen City Square
« Reply #40 on: July 08, 2010, 11:31:23 AM »
They're probably going to do the thing where both directions get routed on one old bridge while the first new one is built in place of the old one. 

Actually they are going to build a brand new bridge in the median, between the existing bridges, then route one direction of I-71 onto that new bridge. Then they are demolishing one span and building the other new bridge in its place and then routing the other direction onto that new one. Then the remaining bridge will be demolished.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 11:32:55 AM by Mr Sparkle »

Offline seicer

• Premium Member
« Reply #41 on: July 08, 2010, 12:23:43 PM »
I was actually hoping that they would do what Kentucky did with the Interstate 75/US 25/US 421 spans at Clays Ferry. One bridge was built in the late 1940s, supplemented with a parallel span in the 1960s, and connected around 2000 to make a six-lane (three-lanes in each direction) crossing.

Offline unusualfire

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #42 on: July 08, 2010, 12:42:35 PM »
God forbid Cincy sprawls past that bridge.

Offline Mr Sparkle

• 665'-Queen City Square
« Reply #43 on: July 08, 2010, 01:20:30 PM »
I was actually hoping that they would do what Kentucky did with the Interstate 75/US 25/US 421 spans at Clays Ferry. One bridge was built in the late 1940s, supplemented with a parallel span in the 1960s, and connected around 2000 to make a six-lane (three-lanes in each direction) crossing.

See my comments upthread...the median is wider (84'); and I think the suspended spans in the existing bridge reek havoc with that, tho I'm not a bridge engineer

Offline seicer

• Premium Member
« Reply #44 on: July 08, 2010, 01:27:16 PM »
Well, the I-75/US 25/421 span is a continuous Warren-truss bridge.

The I-71 span is mentioned as a deck truss, although that merely means that the roadway/surface is above the truss. From the images found, this looks like a continuous Warren-truss as well.

« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 01:29:09 PM by Sherman Cahal »

Offline Mr Sparkle

• 665'-Queen City Square
« Reply #45 on: July 08, 2010, 01:51:22 PM »
Inre Suspended Spans, see this document:

http://www.dot.state.oh.us/Divisions/Communications/TIGER%20Grant%20applications/Interstate%2071%20Jeremiah%20Morrow%20Bridge%20Modernization%20Project%20TIGER%20Grant%20Application%20Final.pdf

I betcha the KY river span originally had only 60' between the bridges, as opposed to the 84' we have at the J.M. Bridge.

Offline seicer

• Premium Member
« Reply #46 on: July 08, 2010, 02:18:48 PM »
Thanks for that link. Looks like just based on the AADT alone, especially with the rise in truck traffic, that a six-lane span would be necessary, with planning for six-lane widening through at least Warren County. It appears that there is significant structural disrepair on the bridge that require immediate correction, but not without significant delays and costs. The gusset plates need stiffening, and pins need replacing, along with the bridge deck, and there is no reasonable detour.

I wasn't aware that the span was closed to heavy/overweight trucks.

It looks like at the most, a 60 minute closure of the Little Miami Trail will be enacted.

As for the median width, parkways were built with 36' medians, although the raised medians are 30' and some newer sections are as wide as 45'. A rural freeway should have 50', although Kentucky has 60' on its rural segments -- and this bridge.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 02:38:07 PM by Sherman Cahal »

Offline dmerkow

• 1450'-Willis Tower
    • Westerville's Philly Historian
« Reply #47 on: July 08, 2010, 04:18:32 PM »
All I know is that I'm going to have to become very familiar w/ US 42 and 22/3 for my trips between Cincy and Cbus. Maybe if we had one of those train thingies, I wouldn't have to worry about this being a pain in my arse.

Offline Mr Sparkle

• 665'-Queen City Square
« Reply #48 on: July 08, 2010, 04:20:40 PM »
2 thru lanes each direction will be maintained at all times, same as now...so no delays during daylight hours...at nite they maybe closing lanes

Online jjakucyk

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
    • Cincinnati Traction History
« Reply #49 on: July 08, 2010, 04:56:48 PM »
My understanding is that this bridge is similar to the Minneapolis bridge not only in that it's an under-deck truss, but also that it's a fracture-critical truss.  That's the important part.  When a truss bridge is fracture-critical, that means any of a large number of plates, girders, attachments, etc., could develop a crack that perpetuates to a cascade failure of the whole structure.  It requires extra diligent inspection and maintenance to maintain such a bridge, and the long span and crazy height of this one makes that very difficult. 

The reason this project got the go-ahead now is because it's shovel ready.  The replacement bridge was designed years ago, and it's just been sitting on a shelf somewhere waiting for funds, there's nothing rushed about it.  The engineering firm states that the new bridge will accommodate 3 lanes each way with wide shoulders, or 4 lanes each way with narrow shoulders, though I sure hope we never see the need for an 8-lane I-71 in this area. 

Offline dmerkow

• 1450'-Willis Tower
    • Westerville's Philly Historian
« Reply #50 on: July 09, 2010, 12:55:09 AM »
I enjoy nothing more than driving across an already narrow bridge w/ big trucks and jersey barriers all around me. A sneeze and that expressway will be shut down for hours - it already happens often enough. Git'er done.

Offline Eighth and State

• Global Moderator
  • Mill Creek Yacht Club
« Reply #51 on: July 09, 2010, 08:53:10 PM »
  "I would like to see more of the logic behind the reasoning for replacement."

It is load-rated. Heavy trucks are prohibited. Plus, the steel truss design is falling out of favor.

Offline seicer

• Premium Member
« Reply #52 on: July 09, 2010, 10:11:28 PM »
I would say the fracture-critical design is falling out of favor. Trusses are still being designed and built.

Offline taestell

• Global Moderator
  • 부자태
    • UrbanCincy
« Reply #53 on: July 21, 2013, 08:05:58 PM »
Check out this story from WCPO on the new bridge:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XV4uUtdagg#

Notice anything missing?

Ok, I'll tell you: the cost! They fail to mention that this single half-mile bridge is costing taxpayers $88.1 million dollars.

Funny how the media doesn't mention the cost when it comes to roads, but they lead with the cost when it comes to transit.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 08:06:12 PM by taestell »
Check out my photography on Flickr or Instagram | Twitter: @urbancincy & @taestell | The UrbanCincy Podcast (iTunes)

Offline jmecklenborg

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • An Apollo Legend
« Reply #54 on: July 22, 2013, 01:26:46 AM »
Actually, they say it will "save taxpayers money" because it doesn't need to be painted, as if it's entirely maintenance-free. 

Online GCrites80s

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Running Free
« Reply #55 on: July 22, 2013, 11:06:29 AM »
Let's keep building more roads to save taxpayers even more money!

Online Pierre Mitchell's

• Administrator
  • ♪♪ An Apollo Legend! ♪♪
« Reply #56 on: April 20, 2017, 11:36:17 AM »
Implosion of Greater Cincinnati bridge to impact weekend traffic

The old southbound span of the Jeremiah Morrow bridge over Interstate 71 in Warren County is to come tumbling down on Sunday, the Dayton Daily News reports.

The Ohio Department of Transportation plans to implode the half-century-old structure that has been replaced by construction of a new bridge over the Little Miami River in Oregonia after six years and $104 million in construction.

More below:
http://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2017/04/20/implosion-of-greater-cincinnati-bridge-to-impact.html
I love it when people come into a message board and immediately begin to mix it up.  I mean, Jesus, at least say hello!  Do you walk into a room full of strangers, pick a random woman, and tell her she's fat? - buildingcincinnati

Offline thomasbw

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
    • www.cincystreetcar.tumblr.com
« Reply #57 on: April 20, 2017, 01:40:47 PM »
Check out this story from WCPO on the new bridge:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XV4uUtdagg#

Notice anything missing?

Ok, I'll tell you: the cost! They fail to mention that this single half-mile bridge is costing taxpayers $88.1 million dollars.

Funny how the media doesn't mention the cost when it comes to roads, but they lead with the cost when it comes to transit.
Implosion of Greater Cincinnati bridge to impact weekend traffic

The old southbound span of the Jeremiah Morrow bridge over Interstate 71 in Warren County is to come tumbling down on Sunday, the Dayton Daily News reports.

The Ohio Department of Transportation plans to implode the half-century-old structure that has been replaced by construction of a new bridge over the Little Miami River in Oregonia after six years and $104 million in construction .

More below:
http://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2017/04/20/implosion-of-greater-cincinnati-bridge-to-impact.html

Looks like the cost went up

Online GCrites80s

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Running Free
« Reply #58 on: April 20, 2017, 01:48:05 PM »
104 MILLION DOLLARS? For something only hipsters and the homeless will use?

Offline SleepyLeroy

• 468'-Scripps Center
« Reply #59 on: April 20, 2017, 02:14:47 PM »
104 MILLION DOLLARS? For something only hipsters and the homeless will use?

It only goes less than a mile, and then just from one hill to another hill! What a boondoggle! -the bridge trolls

Offline taestell

• Global Moderator
  • 부자태
    • UrbanCincy
« Reply #60 on: April 20, 2017, 11:02:39 PM »
Literally no local media outlet will even mention that the cost of the project rose while it was under construction.

Online Pierre Mitchell's

• Administrator
  • ♪♪ An Apollo Legend! ♪♪
« Reply #61 on: Yesterday at 03:19:21 PM »
:wtf:

If at first you donít succeed Ö bridge implosion to close I-71 again

Interstate 71 will be closed again Sunday as crews make another attempt at imploding what's left of the original Jeremiah Morrow Bridge, WVXU reports.

The highway in Warren County was shut down April 23 for the demolition, but the Ohio Department of Transportation said only three of the old spans were imploded.

More below:
http://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2017/04/26/if-at-first-you-don-t-succeed-bridge-implosion-to.html
I love it when people come into a message board and immediately begin to mix it up.  I mean, Jesus, at least say hello!  Do you walk into a room full of strangers, pick a random woman, and tell her she's fat? - buildingcincinnati

Remove Ads