Author Topic: Amtrak & Federal passenger rail news  (Read 480053 times)

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
    • All Aboard Ohio
Re: Amtrak & Federal passenger rail news
« Reply #2730 on: April 08, 2017, 01:52:17 PM »
I didn't realize they cost "so much." Compared to what?
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I'll tell you what you value." -- Joe Biden

Offline Cleburger

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #2731 on: April 09, 2017, 08:31:19 AM »
I didn't realize they cost "so much." Compared to what?

How many 737's worth of passengers can a single train carry?   
I got some records from World War II
I play 'em just like me grand dad do
He was a rocker and I am too....Now Cleveland rocks....

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #2732 on: April 09, 2017, 11:55:11 AM »
Depends. During the holidays, each train of the Lake Shore Limited route through Cleveland and Toledo carries 400,000 riders per year. During the holidays (Thanksgiving-New Years), it peaks at more than 700 people over the course of its route. There are different types of 737s, but the most common is the 737-300 with a seating capacity of 137 people. 700 / 137 = just over 5 airplanes per day per direction (east and west), or 10 737s per day total. The Lake Shore route averages 500 passengers per day over an entire year. 550 / 137 = 3.65 airplanes per day per direction. Since there is one Lake Shore train traveling each direction per day, the Lake Shore Limited route carries 1,000 people total per day, or 7.3 Boeing 737s total per day.

Some of the western long-distance trains, like the Empire Builders  (Chicago-Seattle) or the Coast Starlight (Seattle-Los Angeles) carry even more riders than the 500,000 riders per year.
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I'll tell you what you value." -- Joe Biden

Offline moonloop

• 771'-Terminal Tower
« Reply #2733 on: April 12, 2017, 10:49:53 PM »
Trump Budget: Amtrak's long-distance train routes could get the ax

The proposal, which Congress has not take up yet, would do away with money for all 15 long-distance passenger rail routes, including the Lake Shore Limited that stops here each day.

But 23 states now are served only with long-distance trains would have no passenger rail under the Trump administration proposal. It would become impossible to travel via train to the West Coast, the South or the nation's midsection, eradicating the concept of a national rail system.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/nation-now/2017/04/12/long-distance-train-service-endangered/100395912/

Online clvlndr

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #2734 on: April 12, 2017, 11:40:07 PM »
Trump Budget: Amtrak's long-distance train routes could get the ax

The proposal, which Congress has not take up yet, would do away with money for all 15 long-distance passenger rail routes, including the Lake Shore Limited that stops here each day.

But 23 states now are served only with long-distance trains would have no passenger rail under the Trump administration proposal. It would become impossible to travel via train to the West Coast, the South or the nation's midsection, eradicating the concept of a national rail system.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/nation-now/2017/04/12/long-distance-train-service-endangered/100395912/

This from President Infrastructure. ... What a phony.  What  a fraud.

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #2735 on: May 02, 2017, 09:45:51 AM »
The good news is that Congress has completely ignored what Trump wanted to do with the Department of Transportation. Trump wanted to eliminate funding for public transportation and Amtrak and instead Congress decided to increase funding for Transit by 5.5% and increase funding for Amtrak by $75 million. This includes funding for three new programs that Congress created in late 2015 but it had yet to fund. Thankfully Congress has funded these new programs which will allow expanded passenger rail service, including in states like Ohio that don't provide any state funding for passenger rail. The new federal funding isn't much but it is a very important start, especially in the face of an administration seeking to go in the opposite direction.

Online jmecklenborg

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #2736 on: May 02, 2017, 10:58:35 AM »
The Republican-led congress is not letting Trump accomplish anything.  They're purposefully weakening him to bolster challengers in 2020. 

Offline mrnyc

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
    • friends of the highline
« Reply #2737 on: May 02, 2017, 11:48:21 AM »
You know, mrnyc, I never noticed the similarity of Hell Gate to Sydney's Harbour (aka "the Coat Hanger") Bridge, but there is one.  The Hell Gate is certainly a majestic bridge, but it's kind of off to the side away from Manhattan and largely in a semi industrial-type area -- I'll bet most people, even New Yorkers, don't pay attention to it and certainly don't know its name (like we transit geeks) whereas the Coat Hanger sweeps into Sydney's dramatic downtown next to the clam-shell Opera House -- plus it carries auto and ped traffic, too, unlike the Hell Gate ...

yeah its definately not totally prominent like the brooklyn bridge or the sydney bridge. however, its not totally hidden to locals. yes, the western half of the bridge connects to randalls island, which is mostly a park, and the industrial south bronx. however, the eastern half connects directly into heavily residential astoria, queens, where it dominates the western end of that neighborhood. you even have to travel under the approach arches everywhere to get around there. more on that:

http://forgotten-ny.com/2009/11/hells-arches-concrete-supports-of-the-hell-gate-bridge-approach/

i did a little thread on the western bronx half of the hellgate bridge here -- which is more accessible these days:
https://www.urbanohio.com/forum2/index.php/topic,30442.0.html

what most locals don't realize even if they do know the bridge is that it is over three miles long when you count all the approach arches. they also do not know that 'hellgat' actually means 'beautiful strait' in dutch, but obviously there was no way that was not going to turn into hellgate in english (and especially after the general slocum boating disaster occurred there, which tragically decimated the german population of nyc).
"That whole rural thing. It's a joke." Ed Koch

Offline mrnyc

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #2738 on: May 13, 2017, 08:27:15 AM »

Offline mrnyc

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #2739 on: May 15, 2017, 06:27:38 AM »
time to take penn station operations away from amtrak:

http://www.nydailynews.com/opinion/wrest-penn-station-amtrak-article-1.3160618

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #2740 on: May 15, 2017, 12:53:32 PM »

Dumb idea. A private operator adds another cook to an already crowded kitchen. The problem is that Penn Station's infrastructure is old, needs investment and expansion, and no amount of political grandstanding is going to relieve them from doing their duty -- come up with $20 billion or watch New York's economy choke.

Offline mrnyc

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #2741 on: May 15, 2017, 01:59:54 PM »

Dumb idea. A private operator adds another cook to an already crowded kitchen. The problem is that Penn Station's infrastructure is old, needs investment and expansion, and no amount of political grandstanding is going to relieve them from doing their duty -- come up with $20 billion or watch New York's economy choke.

no, what's dumb is anyone with 8% of the business operating the place. how do you think it got that way?

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #2742 on: May 15, 2017, 02:20:54 PM »
Because all of Penn Central's assets in the Northeast Corridor went to Amtrak on the day that Conrail was formed on April 1st 1976.

Amtrak should continue to own the real estate as it has a better track record of real estate development then any of the transit agencies do. I'd be fine with the operations going to MTA but it sounds like the governors want a private sector entity to oversee the operations. I would not support that. That sounds more like someone gave campaign contributions to the governors in exchange for the rights to Penn Station's operations and who knows what else.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 02:21:39 PM by KJP »

Offline mrnyc

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #2743 on: May 15, 2017, 03:05:49 PM »
except amtrak has a minor presence at penn and status quo is not improving the deteriorated situation.

so who can blame the locals wanting to try to run it? by all rights they should be anyway.

they have moynihan going forward, so no doubt they feel they are on a roll with penn.

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #2744 on: May 15, 2017, 03:51:30 PM »
Which is why MTA is probably the better choice for the operations (especially after MetroNorth comes to Penn). Amtrak is better for the property ownership and development.

But Corrupt Christine/Cuomo will screw it up with short-term cosmetic BS while the infrastructure continues to fall apart.

Offline mrnyc

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #2745 on: May 16, 2017, 08:44:47 AM »
hey it could be worse, they could have port authority do it.

yes, unfortunately the tri-state nature of the metro really opens the door to corruption and easy money for tri-state issues, especially transit. it seems to be an unsolvable problem.

Offline mrnyc

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #2746 on: May 16, 2017, 08:53:08 AM »
btw per audits i see mta gets much more bang for its property holdings than amtrak does. mta earns $200M per year and amtrak $94M. however, its no surprize that both noted plenty of room for improvements.

Offline mrnyc

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #2747 on: May 23, 2017, 10:25:47 AM »
amtrak won't give it up -- for the moment anyway:

Amtrak won’t cede control of Penn Station to Port Authority

By Danielle Furfaro May 23, 2017 | 4:01am

Amtrak officials claim the company is perfectly capable of running Penn Station, including carrying out the crucial repairs needed to stop frequent delays at the hub, and they have no plans to cede control to the Port Authority or anyone else.

“It is Amtrak’s role and our responsibility to step up and run that station as well as we can, and that’s exactly what we intend on doing,” Amtrak CEO Wick Moorman told The Post’s editorial board on Monday. “Our name is on the deed.”

Gov. Cuomo and other politicians have said they don’t have faith in Amtrak after a rash of incidents and derailments caused by ancient infrastructure crippled the LIRR and New Jersey Transit.

more:
http://nypost.com/2017/05/23/amtrak-wont-cede-control-of-penn-station-to-port-authority/

Offline mrnyc

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #2748 on: May 25, 2017, 08:47:18 AM »
well, he wrote a letter to trump and now he made a task force. no mention of mta taking a crack at it, but hopefully the pa does not get the duty, because they will probably just make it worse. it's likely nothing happens anytime soon with trump making cuts left and right, but we'll see.

Cuomo taps Roth, LeFrak for Penn Station task force

Governor recommends booting Amtrak and having the state take over

By Kathryn Brenzel | May 23, 2017 03:00PM

Gov. Andrew Cuomo on Tuesday tapped Richard LeFrak, Steve Roth and others to serve on a task force dedicated to addressing myriad issues at Penn Station — including its management.

A key step to resolving issues at the busy station, according to the governor, is booting Amtrak. During an event at the City University of New York, Cuomo proposed shifting control of Penn Station to either the state, Port Authority of New York and New Jersey or a private “qualified operator.”

In the first scenario, the state would use design-build authorization and work with the private sector to make repairs and operate the station. Whoever takes control of the station will also oversee the redevelopment of the James A. Farley Post Office and the Gateway tunnel project.

“The best way to do this, if you weren’t dealing with all these levels of bureaucracies, is to do it as one, unified project, one project manager and have the entire project work together,” Cuomo said.

In a statement, Amtrak President and CEO Wick Moorman noted that Penn’s current condition is largely the result of “decades of underinvestment” and commuter volume well-above what the station was designed for.

more:
https://therealdeal.com/2017/05/23/cuomo-taps-roth-lefrak-for-penn-station-task-force/

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #2749 on: May 25, 2017, 10:13:01 AM »
Which is why Amtrak is going to remove from Penn Station its up to 26 daily Empire Corridor trains including the Lake Shore Limited from Cleveland and Chicago, and put them back into Grand Central Terminal (where they were before 1991). Grand Central is under capacity while Penn Station is above capacity. It's a short-term move necessitated by the lack of state/federal funding of Penn Station.

Online clvlndr

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #2750 on: May 25, 2017, 11:24:54 AM »
Which is why Amtrak is going to remove from Penn Station its up to 26 daily Empire Corridor trains including the Lake Shore Limited from Cleveland and Chicago, and put them back into Grand Central Terminal (where they were before 1991). Grand Central is under capacity while Penn Station is above capacity. It's a short-term move necessitated by the lack of state/federal funding of Penn Station.

This is frustrating and shouldn't be happening in THE rail transportation mecca of the nation. 

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #2751 on: May 25, 2017, 12:06:10 PM »

This is frustrating and shouldn't be happening in THE rail transportation mecca of the nation. 

A nation that shortchanges its rail system in particular and infrastructure in general. NE Corridor has some $50 billion in unfunded state of good repair needs. Sooner or later, this first-world resource is going to fall apart and stop working under a third-world transportation budget.

Offline Foraker

• 629'-Rhodes State Tower
« Reply #2752 on: June 01, 2017, 02:19:14 PM »
I was trying to get to New England for a family event and was reminded how extremely frustrating the current Lakeshore Limited schedule is for Cleveland, and probably every other city between Chicago and New York.  I had to be there at a certain time and needed to get back home ASAP.

I wish someone would find the money to temporarily run another train 12 hours off the current schedule to see what the ridership would be.  I can't be the only one frustrated with airlines and eager for a competitive alternative. 

:whip:

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #2753 on: June 01, 2017, 05:33:58 PM »
I was trying to get to New England for a family event and was reminded how extremely frustrating the current Lakeshore Limited schedule is for Cleveland, and probably every other city between Chicago and New York.  I had to be there at a certain time and needed to get back home ASAP.

I wish someone would find the money to temporarily run another train 12 hours off the current schedule to see what the ridership would be.  I can't be the only one frustrated with airlines and eager for a competitive alternative. 

:whip:

When the Lake Shore Limited started in 1975 (after a three-year hiatus of passenger rail service linking Chicago, Cleveland and new York City), the ridership was so good on this new train that Amtrak wanted to run a second train. They had the funding for it, but President Ford recommended a cut to Amtrak's budget which Congress accepted. And that was the end of that.

Every so often, there's an idea of expanding service on this route. It is the most heavily used daily round trip Amtrak offers anywhere east of the Mississippi River. It carries about 400,000 passengers per year, or 1,100 passengers per day. That's enough to fill every seat in eight Boeing 737 jets. And only 10 percent of those travelers are riding all the way between East Coast and Chicago. There is a lot of passenger turnover throughout each trip of the Lake Shore Limited.

The most recent foray into seeking an expansion is to take one of the NYSDOT-sponsored Empire Service trains that runs between New York City and the Buffalo/Niagara Falls area and instead run it west to Chicago. I pushed that idea on behalf of All Aboard Ohio but it ran into several issues, not the least of which was that another $8 million per year in operating subsidy would be needed. No state west of New York would likely fund that. And the federal government didn't have a funding program for Amtrak expansion at that time. It has one now but Congress hasn't funded it yet. Even so, the new federal program to fund the operating costs of expanded Amtrak service is authorized at only $20 million per year, and there are several other expansions that already organized constituencies (Gulf Coast mayors want New Orleans-Florida service; West Virginia and others want daily Cardinal service, etc) are seeking. Those expansions will likely cost more per year, in total, to support than if Congress actually fully funded the expansion program at its maximum authorized amount.

Lots more to describe here but family life intrudes....
« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 10:00:55 PM by KJP »

Offline Foraker

« Reply #2754 on: June 02, 2017, 01:19:30 PM »

The most recent foray into seeking an expansion is to take one of the NYSDOT-sponsored Empire Service trains that runs between New York City and the Buffalo/Niagara Falls area and instead run it west to Chicago.

Too late for this trip -- but looking into it I could have driven to Buffalo and taken the train to Albany (Maple Leaf, noon - 7pm) (Empire BuilderService, 7am - noon) and rented a car for the last leg east.  Thanks NY, I'll have to keep that in mind!
« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 02:27:03 PM by Foraker »

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #2755 on: June 02, 2017, 06:53:36 PM »

Too late for this trip -- but looking into it I could have driven to Buffalo and taken the train to Albany (Maple Leaf, noon - 7pm) (Empire Builder, 7am - noon) and rented a car for the last leg east.  Thanks NY, I'll have to keep that in mind!

Actually, I don't consider the eastbound Lake Shore out of Cleveland to be awful timing. It leaves Cleveland just before 6 a.m., Buffalo at 9 a.m., gets to Albany at about 3 p.m. and Boston at 8 p.m. It's the trip coming back, arriving in Cleveland at 3 a.m. that stinks.

BTW, it's the Empire Service, not the Empire Builder. The Empire Builder runs from Chicago to Seattle and Portland by way of Minneapolis and Melted Glacier National Park.

Offline Foraker

« Reply #2756 on: June 05, 2017, 02:31:51 PM »

Too late for this trip -- but looking into it I could have driven to Buffalo and taken the train to Albany (Maple Leaf, noon - 7pm) (Empire Builder, 7am - noon) and rented a car for the last leg east.  Thanks NY, I'll have to keep that in mind!

Actually, I don't consider the eastbound Lake Shore out of Cleveland to be awful timing. It leaves Cleveland just before 6 a.m., Buffalo at 9 a.m., gets to Albany at about 3 p.m. and Boston at 8 p.m.

Not awful if you have a dinner meeting or you're just traveling for leisure, perhaps, but if you're trying to get to somewhere north of Boston for an afternoon meeting, the Lake Shore won't work unless you travel a day early.  That is significant.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 02:32:06 PM by Foraker »

Online Htsguy

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #2757 on: June 05, 2017, 03:09:50 PM »
^I am confused as to why you would even consider travelling over 600 miles by rail with the intent of making an afternoon business meeting.  I don't think I would even take that risk in Europe let alone the US.

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #2758 on: June 17, 2017, 03:39:53 PM »
For immediate release
Contact: Ken Prendergast, All Aboard Ohio Executive Director, 216-288-4883

Summary of Ohio Rally4Trains events:

COLUMBUS – 11 am Friday June 23rd – Corner of High Street and Nationwide Blvd, downtown
CLEVELAND – 12 noon Friday June 23rd – Amtrak station, 200 Cleveland Memorial Shoreway, downtown
TOLEDO – 3 pm Saturday June 24th – MLK Plaza/Amtrak station, 300 Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Drive, south of downtown

UPDATES, please check: http://allaboardohio.org/2017/06/17/ohio-rally4trains-events-june-23-24/

With these rallies, All Aboard Ohio proudly and actively supports the National Association of Railroad Passengers’ (NARP) campaign to respond loudly to the Trump Administration’s proposed budget that would eliminate all funding for passenger trains and public transportation. Our active support will be expressed on June 23rd and 24th at three rallies in Cleveland, Columbus and Toledo. Other rallies will be held across the country: https://townswithouttrains.com/

Towns without trains have fewer jobs, less tourism, lower economic activity, lower real estate values, less healthy people, more traffic congestion, less mobility and fewer travel options. Eliminating funding for Amtrak would have a profound negative impact on every intercity, rapid transit and commuter rail passenger in the country. More than 220 communities across the country and over 40 million riders will lose their service.

COLUMBUS is our cautionary tale of what happens when a major city loses passenger train service. It is extremely hard to get trains back. When Columbus lost Amtrak’s New York-Kansas City National Limited due to federal budget cuts on Sept. 30, 1979, it has since gone more than 13,750 days without passenger rail service. Columbus is the largest city in the western hemisphere and possibly the world without any regularly scheduled passenger trains (urban light-rail, regional commuter, intercity Amtrak etc). Columbus would be an even more vibrant, sustainable city with passenger rail.

Please join the Columbus Rally4Trains at 11 a.m. Friday June 23rd at the corner of High Street and Nationwide Blvd in downtown Columbus — across the street from where Columbus Union Station stood.

CLEVELAND will not only lose its Amtrak trains immediately but also its rapid transit trains in 5-10 years under the administration’s proposed cuts. Cleveland’s rail transit system is already facing a half-billion dollar backlog of unfunded state-of-good-repair needs. Its loss as well as many bus routes will mean that tens of thousands of people each day won’t be able to get to work, school, health care or shopping. On Amtrak, more than 650,000 passengers a year use the four daily trains through Cleveland, including nearly 50,000 boardings at Cleveland in 2016. Any hope for service improvements and expansion will disappear along with them.

Please join the Cleveland Rally4Trains at 12 noon Friday June 23rd at the Cleveland Amtrak station, 200 Cleveland Memorial Shoreway in downtown Cleveland — where the city’s planned Lakefront Multi-modal Transportation Center is planned. Keynote speaker is Grace Gallucci, Executive Director of the Northeast Ohio Areawide Coordinating Agency.

TOLEDO is Ohio’s busiest train station where not only Amtrak trains but Amtrak buses, Greyhound buses and Toledo Area RTA buses all converge in a single transportation center. The MLK Plaza station has offices in the building above and a Subway restaurant in the station below. That station stays busy ’round the clock with rail and bus passengers traveling to places near and fare. This multi-modal station is an example for the rest of Ohio to follow. That example will fade away without federal Amtrak and public transportation funds, making it more difficult for Toledoans to travel within their city and to other cities.

Please join the Toledo Rally4Trains at 3 p.m. Saturday June 24th at MLK Plaza/Amtrak station, 300 Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Drive, south of downtown. It is also the site of a major community redevelopment effort that will not succeed without federal funds. Special guest speaker is Bruce Becker, Vice President of the National Association of Railroad Passengers.

Here are some other impacts of these destructive federal funding cuts:

+ The Federal Railroad Administration (see https://www.midwestrailplan.org/) and states surrounding Ohio (Pennsylvania may soon plan expansion west to Cleveland, Toledo and Chicago) are seeking passenger rail improvements that serve Ohio. West Virginia’s legislature and governor passed a law to create a Cardinal Compact to increase Amtrak Cardinal service to daily. If we lose our existing train services, we cannot improve them.

+ Restoring lost trains is extremely difficult. Columbus and Dayton lost their Amtrak train services in 1979 as a result of federal budget cuts. Akron and Youngstown lost their trains in 2005. None have returned due to the difficulty of restoring lost trains or instituting new services.

+ The existing Amtrak trains that travel through Cleveland and Toledo each night are used by 650,000 people per year, enough to fill every seat on more than a dozen Boeing 737 jets per day. There are nearly 50,000 people who boarded Amtrak trains last year in Cleveland, an increase of nearly 40 percent over the past decade. More than 55,000 people boarded Amtrak trains in Toledo in 2016.

+ Despite having only five trains a day serving Ohio, Amtrak in 2016 spent $30 million into Ohio’s economy buying goods and services from Ohio companies. That includes Ohio Amtrak employees buying $6.45 million worth of goods and services (multiplier of 1.5 on base wages of $4.3 million).

+ All Ohio Amtrak trains (part of the National Network) would end as a result of the proposed budget cuts, and force increased costs and the loss of connecting revenues to state-supported trains in two dozen states, many of which may not be able to afford them anymore.

Please join us at these important events to raise public awareness of this critical issue!

###
« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 03:40:42 PM by KJP »

Offline Foraker

« Reply #2759 on: June 19, 2017, 02:24:43 PM »
^I am confused as to why you would even consider travelling over 600 miles by rail with the intent of making an afternoon business meeting.  I don't think I would even take that risk in Europe let alone the US.

I've traveled successfully over 600 miles in multiple countries, both in Europe and in Asia, so I know it can be done -- although 600 miles might be pushing it in some situations, I agree.

And because flying is becoming a more and more miserable experience, and I can eat/sleep/work on the train, I can get far more accomplished, more comfortably, than if I drove. 

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #2760 on: June 19, 2017, 08:31:10 PM »
CBS NEWS June 19, 2017, 8:26 AM
"Decades behind": Amtrak plans urgently needed upgrades

President Trump's pledge to invest a trillion dollars in infrastructure made no mention of our country's outdated rail system.

Decades of lack of funding and infrastructure investment have caused Amtrak, the nation's passenger rail network, to lag behind most of the developed world.

For over a century, railroads were the backbone of America. Trains moved people between cities and provided freight transport for industry. But by the mid-twentieth century, competition from interstate highways and airlines forced many railroads out of business.

In 1971, Amtrak was established as America's passenger rail service. But it has struggled since Day One, plagued with problems it still hasn't solved: most routes never made a profit, and in many cases, Amtrak doesn't even own the tracks.

MORE:
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/amtrak-plans-urgently-needed-upgrades/
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 08:31:33 PM by KJP »

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #2761 on: June 21, 2017, 04:38:16 PM »
ocal Media Contact:    
Ken Prendergast, Executive Director, All Aboard Ohio
216-288-4883
KenPrendergast@AllAboardOhio.org

**MEDIA ALERT**

Passengers rally at Cleveland Amtrak station to protest elimination of RTA & Amtrak trains

#Rally4Trains on June 23, at 12 Noon at 200 Memorial Shoreway

What:    “Rally For Trains” is a series of rallies being held across the country to save passenger rail in America. Rail & transit passengers are standing up for trains in the face of looming, draconian, proposed federal budget cuts that will effectively cause Greater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority Rapid trains to stop running from declining track, signal and train equipment conditions and stranding 30,000+ passengers per weekday, and Amtrak trains will stop too, ending service through Cleveland used by 650,000+ passengers per year.

Why:    Rail Passengers are raising their voices so Congress will understand the importance of train service to millions of Americans. The federal budget needs to be held at or above the levels of the bi-partisan FAST (Fixing America's Surface Transportation) Act, which passed in 2015. Proposed cuts will reduce RTA train and some bus services, as well as stop passenger rail service to seven Ohio stations, including Cleveland and Elyria.

Where:   The local rally is being held at: Cleveland Amtrak Station, 200 Memorial Shoreway, downtown.

Other rallies are being held in cities and towns nationwide. More information is available at www.townswithouttrains.com or www.allaboardohio.org

Who:    More than 8 million people ride RTA trains per year in Greater Cleveland and 40 million people ride Amtrak trains per year in America. The rally in Cleveland will feature special guests and speakers including:
+ Grace Gallucci, Executive Director, Northeast Ohio Areawide Coordinating Agency (NOACA)
+ Ken Prendergast, Executive Director, All Aboard Ohio
+ Local elected officials or their representatives

When:    12 noon to 12:30 p.m. Friday, June 23

**PHOTO/ VIDEO OPPORTUNITY***
**INTERVIEWS AVAILABLE**
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 04:39:11 PM by KJP »

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #2762 on: June 22, 2017, 09:39:47 AM »
Central Ohioans! Be there on Friday!

Media advisory   Contact: Jack Shaner (614) 309-1169 JackShaner29@gmail.com
              Elissa Schneider (614) 580-5109 elissa.k.schneider@gmail.com
               Ron Pilatowski (614) 634-0158 lia7tris@live.com

Columbus’ cautionary tale: When trains leave, it can take generations to get them back

Nearly 40 years after the last Amtrak train left Columbus, passenger train advocates plan #Rally4Trains event, 11 am Friday, downtown

(June 21, 2017 - Columbus, OH) -- Top-ranked nationally as “THE” place for young professionals, entrepreneurs, artists, musicians and sports and more, why is Columbus also ranked the #1 largest American city and state capital with no travel connections by rail?

The last passenger train left 38 years ago and despite numerous attempts to bring them back, politics always got in the way.  Columbus could be a truly world-class city, but for that.

But there’s hope. A proposed, new rail link with 110-MPH trains that can cuts the travel time from Columbus to Chicago to under 4 hours with multiple train frequencies, on-board Internet connections and no driving or flying hassles.

Join  local passenger rail advocates as we gather over downtown train tracks on Friday to:
1. Exhort Congress to reject President Trump’s budget proposal to eliminate funding for America’s long-distance passenger train service. If Congress approves the Trump proposal, Ohio will lose all existing Amtrak service, boarding up stations in Alliance, Bryan, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Elyria, Sandusky and Toledo.
2. Spotlight the benefits of a proposed new 110 MPH passenger rail line connecting Columbus to Chicago (in 3 hrs and 45 minutes), including stops in downtown Columbus, John Glenn International Airport and 8 other cities in Ohio and Indiana.
3. Drive home the point that if Congress pulls the plug on Amtrak, it may be goodbye Columbus--forever--for any serious effort to restore passenger rail service to Columbus.

WHO: Passenger rail advocates, including:
Elissa Schneider, Chair, Transit Columbus
Ron Pilatowski, Member, National Association of Railroad Passengers
Jack Shaner, Chair, All Aboard Ohio
WHAT: Columbus “Whistle Stop” for national #Rally4Trains Day
WHEN: 11am - 1 pm, Friday, June 23, 2017
WHERE: NW corner of North High Street and Nationwide Blvd
WHY: President Trump’s budget could smother in the crib the momentum beginning to build to restore passenger train service to America’s largest city with no existing service - Columbus.
VISUALS: People collecting petition signatures, handing out flyers and holding signs supporting passenger trains. Man wearing sandwich board reading, “Columbus: A City Without Trains.” Walking distance to prospective new train station site, arch from closed train station, and several vantage points of existing train tracks.
SIGNIFICANCE: Columbus is the largest Town Without Trains participating in this weekend’s nationwide #Rally4Trains Day set for dozens of cities across America.

###

Offline Dougal

• 555'-LeVeque Tower
« Reply #2763 on: June 27, 2017, 12:41:17 PM »
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dr-gridlock/wp/2017/06/26/amtrak-names-new-chief-executive/

Richard Anderson, former head of Delta and Northwest Airlines, to become CEO of Amtrak.  Now there's an interesting pick. Can he really know how political the job is?

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #2764 on: June 27, 2017, 04:14:25 PM »
And will all Amtrak riders now have to connect through Atlanta??

Remove Ads