Author Topic: Columbus: Short North Developments and News  (Read 268065 times)

Offline Pablo

• 408'-Kettering Tower
Re: Columbus: Short North Developments and News
« Reply #980 on: May 17, 2017, 03:48:02 PM »
Has the southern edge of the Short North moved further south?

Offline casey

• 555'-LeVeque Tower
« Reply #981 on: May 18, 2017, 07:18:40 PM »
I think the SID boundary is further south than the traditional neighborhood one, and includes the convention center, Hilton, etc.

Offline DarkandStormy

• 555'-LeVeque Tower
« Reply #982 on: May 19, 2017, 10:03:35 AM »
Has the southern edge of the Short North moved further south?

I guess it's Ohio Center Way instead of Goodale?

Offline Pablo

• 408'-Kettering Tower
« Reply #983 on: May 19, 2017, 10:09:14 AM »
I think the SID boundary is further south than the traditional neighborhood one, and includes the convention center, Hilton, etc.
I was just trying to be funny - this area is covered by the Capital Crossroads CID and is considered to be within Downtown. It was just sloppy headline writing by CU. Phase 2 & 3 of the High St. improvements are in the Short North. Phase 4 is in the University District. Just a pet peeve of mine. 
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 10:14:39 AM by Pablo »

Offline Pablo

• 408'-Kettering Tower
« Reply #984 on: May 19, 2017, 12:22:48 PM »
Looks like the UDF project at 1st and High is underway. Crews have begun the MOT work (striping, closing a lane, etc).

Offline Columbo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #985 on: May 19, 2017, 02:44:52 PM »
I was just trying to be funny - this area is covered by the Capital Crossroads CID and is considered to be within Downtown. It was just sloppy headline writing by CU. Phase 2 & 3 of the High St. improvements are in the Short North. Phase 4 is in the University District. Just a pet peeve of mine. 

Actually, casey is right about the Short North SID going further south than the generally accepted Short North southern boundary.  Below is a map of the Short North SID Boundaries from page 3 of this 2015 Short North Alliance report:  http://shortnorth.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/2015_SNA_annual_report_final_1_29.pdf

- The Capital Crossroads SID picks up where the Short North SID ends at the convention center:  http://downtowncolumbus.com/home/about-us/capital-crossroads-sid/

- The University District SID picks up where the Short North SID ends at King Avenue:  http://downtowncolumbus.com/home/about-us/capital-crossroads-sid/
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 02:47:46 PM by Columbo »
Great things are not done by impulse, but by a series of small things brought together. -- Vincent van Gogh (1853-90)

Offline Columbo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #986 on: May 19, 2017, 02:45:22 PM »
^ Before looking this up, I was unaware that the Short North SID included that part of Downtown (which might explain why this block south of Goodale sometime gets referred to as "The Short North").  It also might explain why the recent downtown streetscaping work on High Street stopped at Nationwide Boulevard (the boundary of the Capital Crossroads SID).

I was wondering why this downtown block was included in the Short North SID and not the Downtown SID (Capital Crossroads).  I do know that the Short North SID predates the Downtown SID.  I believe the Short North SID began in the late 90's and the Downtown SID was started in the early 00's.  And since the downtown property included is mostly convention center property, its possible that (1)the convention center wanted to be included in this first SID to get its benefits; or (2)the Short North SID wanted the convention center property included so they could reach the necessary thresholds of property owner interest to create the SID.

In any case, its an odd overlapping of "Downtown" and "Short North".
Great things are not done by impulse, but by a series of small things brought together. -- Vincent van Gogh (1853-90)

Offline Pablo

• 408'-Kettering Tower
« Reply #987 on: May 19, 2017, 03:14:32 PM »
^Thanks for the clarification. To add to the overlap, the Downtown Commission's north boundary is 670. I still think the boundary between the SN and Downtown is 670 regardless of which SID maintains the area.

Offline Columbo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #988 on: May 19, 2017, 03:37:49 PM »
^ That's right.  The regulatory boundary between the Short North and Downtown is I-670.

The only bit of regulatory overlap is the High Street I-670 Cap that was built around 2005.  In that one case, both the Downtown Commission and the two Short North commissions that cover High Street (Victorian Village and Italian Village) approved that project.

Offline Pablo

• 408'-Kettering Tower
« Reply #989 on: May 24, 2017, 01:29:55 PM »
The 711 N. High St. project.

Offline CMH_Downtown

• Global Moderator
« Reply #990 on: May 27, 2017, 12:17:04 PM »
Short North cranes as viewed from the 10th floor of the Hyatt:

« Last Edit: May 27, 2017, 12:19:48 PM by CMH_Downtown »

Offline ck

• --ch4k1ng--
  • 468'-Scripps Center
« Reply #991 on: May 28, 2017, 12:28:41 AM »
I hadn't seen these renderings posted before - from https://800northhigh.com/

800 North High is located in the heart of the Short North amid a buzz of restaurants, shops, galleries and among a wide mix of housing options. As the primary use in this building, the office was designed with a special attention to outdoor spaces, an abundance of windows with views of the Short North and Downtown, valet parking and a prominent lobby on the corner of Hubbard and High. Two restaurants and a hotel will compliment the o ce and add a level of convenience not currently available in the Short North.

Offline casey

• 555'-LeVeque Tower
« Reply #992 on: May 28, 2017, 01:30:21 AM »
Good find! These new renderings make that project look even better IMO. Let's hope they can get underway soon, and add another crane into the skyline! ;)
« Last Edit: May 28, 2017, 01:30:41 AM by casey »

Offline aderwent

• 279'-First Energy Center
« Reply #993 on: May 28, 2017, 11:18:00 AM »
They should add in the already approved Parkside on Pearl to the rendering so the NIMBYs don't think it's too tall.

Offline David

• Premium Member
« Reply #994 on: May 28, 2017, 01:08:20 PM »
Do the NIMBYs actually hate the aesthetics of tall buildings or are they just concerned that meeting the demand for housing stock would curb the appreciation of their assets and make the neighborhood less exclusive?
« Last Edit: May 28, 2017, 01:08:46 PM by David »
Modern architects recognize 300 masterpieces but ignore the other 30 million buildings that have ruined the world. - Andres Duany

Offline BigDipper 80

• 555'-LeVeque Tower
« Reply #995 on: May 28, 2017, 02:04:37 PM »
^Purely anecdotal, but I do think people have an irrational fear of traffic and other people, based on conversations I've had with a few people about all the growth at Crocker Park. It's easy to think that it's something more nefarious but really a lot of the time I feel it just comes down to "this is nice how it is right now and these new apartment people will take my parking spot." Yes, these people may be living in a dynamic urban (or faux-urban in the case of Crocker) environment, but I don't think they really comprehend that crowds come with those environments, especially in Ohio.

Offline casey

• 555'-LeVeque Tower
« Reply #996 on: May 28, 2017, 02:50:45 PM »
The 800 N High proposal has already been approved I believe, at least in terms of height/massing, so any NIMBY concerns are moot with this particular project.

Offline David

• Premium Member
« Reply #997 on: May 28, 2017, 03:58:24 PM »
I bet it's also approved for a 15 year, 100% tax abatement, too. Those developers contribute to local political campaigns. It's pretty disgusting. CRAs are supposed to be for struggling neighborhoods, not the one that is by far doing the best. In the article I read, the mayor completely dodged the question regarding whether or not it's time to end it and have CRAs elsewhere.  Must be nice to own a half million dollar condo, tax free. This is why nothing is happening downtown and everything is happening in the short north.

If the SID uses property taxes within that district, doesn't that mean the folks who are paying property taxes are essentially paying extra for services that benefit the new developments since they are not paying anything?
Modern architects recognize 300 masterpieces but ignore the other 30 million buildings that have ruined the world. - Andres Duany

Offline CbusTransit

• 408'-Kettering Tower
« Reply #998 on: May 28, 2017, 05:34:45 PM »
I believe SIDs pay a special assessment, not a portion of the property tax. As such, I do not believe that part is abated. Not totally sure tho.

Offline David

• Premium Member
« Reply #999 on: May 28, 2017, 10:23:18 PM »
Bah. It's still b.s.

Remove Ads