Author Topic: Columbus: RiverSouth Developments and News  (Read 114073 times)

Offline cbussoccer

• 279'-First Energy Center
Re: Columbus: RiverSouth Developments and News
« Reply #385 on: January 12, 2017, 04:13:00 PM »
I drove past the LC construction site last night. It looks like the north building is close to being topped out and there is a crane base in place for the south building so a crane will probably be going up there soon.

Also, has anyone heard anything about Millennial Tower? I thought I read in the original reports that they wanted to hopefully get the green light in early 2017, but I haven't heard anything.

Online casey

• 555'-LeVeque Tower
« Reply #386 on: January 12, 2017, 04:41:39 PM »
Honestly, I'd be shocked if Millennial Tower happens at all. Bill Schottenstein has a history of big ideas and pretty renderings, but hasn't really been able to get much off the ground in the last 20 years or so. So don't hold your breath.

But, the good news is a lot else is happening in the area, and more and more players are getting involved. LC is finally moving on their projects, Borror is well underway on their first in the area, Crawford Hoying's should be starting soon, and Daimler/Kaufman have broken ground for 225.

Offline cbussoccer

« Reply #387 on: January 12, 2017, 05:00:27 PM »
I'm going to continue holding my breath until we hear otherwise although I understand why you wouldn't. The reason I'm still hopeful is because of all the projects you listed that are under way. The developers obviously see a lot of promise in this area and a tower like Millennial Tower, even if it gets scaled back a bit, will probably be a huge success.

Offline eurokie

• 555'-LeVeque Tower
« Reply #388 on: January 22, 2017, 05:57:52 PM »
If you look a little closer at the "Millennial Tower" you'll realize it's primarily a parking garage with some space on top of it. They may be waiting for other developments to create parking demand to drive the core of their project.
Travels, issues, and ideas: www.greenlakebluecity.com

Online jeremyck01

• 629'-Rhodes State Tower
« Reply #389 on: January 22, 2017, 08:06:43 PM »
If you look a little closer at the "Millennial Tower" you'll realize it's primarily a parking garage with some space on top of it. They may be waiting for other developments to create parking demand to drive the core of their project.

So what you're suggesting is that they are waiting for more cars to fill their parking garage before they start building?  If so, then that's  one of the worst development plans in history, so I doubt that's the plan.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 08:07:22 PM by jeremyck01 »

Offline wpcc88

• 408'-Kettering Tower
« Reply #390 on: January 23, 2017, 02:08:34 AM »

So what you're suggesting is that they are waiting for more cars to fill their parking garage before they start building?  If so, then that's  one of the worst development plans in history, so I doubt that's the plan.

It's the Schottensteins, all talk no action approach.  Then when there is action you end up with cheaply built product like their relative Kauffman builds.

Offline Columbo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #391 on: February 12, 2017, 04:51:53 PM »
The 5-story, 89-unit apartment building at southwest corner of Front & Main, aka the 303 S. Front St. building, aka the former RedZone nightclub site is under construction.  Feb. 1 photo from http://www.columbusunderground.com/construction-roundup-february-2017:

Project rendering and article at https://www.urbanohio.com/forum2/index.php/topic,1965.msg795966.html#msg795966
Great things are not done by impulse, but by a series of small things brought together. -- Vincent van Gogh (1853-90)

Offline Columbo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #392 on: February 12, 2017, 04:52:12 PM »
And catching up with our favorite LC RiverSouth residential project, the 8 story, 106-unit Trautman Building at the northwest corner of Rich & High:

Construction site tour from CU near the end of October:  http://www.columbusunderground.com/hard-hat-photo-tour-lc-riversouth-bw1

Late November 2016 photo of Trautman Building facing Rich Street from http://www.columbusunderground.com/construction-roundup-photos-downtown-columbus:

Jan. 2 photo of Trautman Building facing High Street from http://www.columbusunderground.com/construction-roundup-downtown-columbus:

Feb. 1 photo of Trautman Building facing Rich Street from http://www.columbusunderground.com/construction-roundup-february-2017:
Great things are not done by impulse, but by a series of small things brought together. -- Vincent van Gogh (1853-90)

Offline Pablo

• 408'-Kettering Tower
« Reply #393 on: February 13, 2017, 09:09:50 AM »
^Rome wasn't built in a day, I guess.

Offline ColDayMan

• Administrator
  • ♪♪ An Apollo Legend! ♪♪
« Reply #394 on: February 28, 2017, 12:27:32 AM »
Swan Cleaners downtown set for demolition in March to make way for 11-story apartment tower

A Dublin developer is preparing to raze a Swan Cleaners in downtown Columbus to make way for an 11-story apartment high-rise.

More below:
http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/news/2017/02/27/swan-cleaners-downtown-set-for-demolition-to-make.html
I love it when people come into a message board and immediately begin to mix it up.  I mean, Jesus, at least say hello!  Do you walk into a room full of strangers, pick a random woman, and tell her she's fat? - buildingcincinnati

Offline Columbo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #395 on: March 22, 2017, 12:59:29 PM »
The 5-story, 89-unit apartment building at southwest corner of Front & Main, aka the 303 S. Front St. building, aka the former RedZone nightclub site is under construction.  Feb. 1 photo from http://www.columbusunderground.com/construction-roundup-february-2017:

Project rendering and article at https://www.urbanohio.com/forum2/index.php/topic,1965.msg795966.html#msg795966

UPDATE:  March 20, 2017 photo from http://www.columbusunderground.com/construction-roundup-italian-village-downtown-more  --  not quite topped out, but coming along quickly:

Offline Columbo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #396 on: March 22, 2017, 01:00:54 PM »
Update on the two LC RiverSouth buildings under construction at the northwest and southwest corners of Rich & High:  March 20, 2017 photo from http://www.columbusunderground.com/construction-roundup-italian-village-downtown-more

-- The north building (Trautman Building: 8 stories, 106 apartments) is nearly topped out.

-- The south building (Beatty Building: 10 stories, 137 apartments) now has a construction crane on its site.

Offline cbussoccer

« Reply #397 on: April 04, 2017, 10:20:48 PM »
As of about 8:15 when I drove by tonight the Swan Cleaners building was being demolished. This area is going to be dramatically different in about a year and a half and I can't wait!

Offline tlb919

• 0'-Surface Lot
« Reply #398 on: April 10, 2017, 12:51:19 PM »
UPDATES:

Steel has officially begun to rise at 225 Commons. Looked like a tower crane base was being erected as well. I'm living for all the tower cranes popping up right now.

The first (and shorter) LC building also now appears to have reached full height after all this time. This area is filling in quite well.

Sorry for the image quality, it was rainy, windy, and I was on a mission for tacos.
PS... It also looks like the space between Jeni's and Tortilla is being remodeled? Anyone know whats happening there for sure?

« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 01:04:54 PM by tlb919 »
All of life is an experiment.

Online casey

• 555'-LeVeque Tower
« Reply #399 on: April 10, 2017, 01:12:17 PM »
Great updates! Can't wait for 225, the 2nd LC, and the Crawford Hoying building to all start rising! These new builds should really create a vibrant cluster of activity which can finally support some meaningful retail and street life along High through here. Also, they have the added bonus of distracting from/obscuring HighPoint, which initially stuck out like a sore thumb because nothing else was around it.

As far as the work going on at the Commons itself, they seem to just be re-configuring the seating area, adding more trees, etc. A rendering of the improvements is below, and an image of the old setup for comparison.

« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 01:12:56 PM by casey »

Offline Pablo

• 408'-Kettering Tower
« Reply #400 on: April 25, 2017, 02:39:52 PM »
I had jury duty this week. Nice views of River South from the jury room, 16th floor cafeteria and the High St. pedestrian bridge:

Offline jebleprls22

• 0'-Surface Lot
« Reply #401 on: April 25, 2017, 03:45:11 PM »
Pablo, as an out-of-towner, I want to thank you for your continual photo updates! It's really great to see continued progress.

I'll be really curious to see what/when they eventually do with the grass lot adjacent the the courthouse building -- it'll be part of the next block of South High to be developed in River South!

Offline Pablo

• 408'-Kettering Tower
« Reply #402 on: April 25, 2017, 04:45:12 PM »
Pablo, as an out-of-towner, I want to thank you for your continual photo updates! It's really great to see continued progress.

I'll be really curious to see what/when they eventually do with the grass lot adjacent the the courthouse building -- it'll be part of the next block of South High to be developed in River South!
I don't think anything will become of the lawn area next to the courthouse. It's county property and they are just land-banking the site. There's a patch of lawn on the north side of Mound between High and 3rd - the site of the former juvi. It's been undeveloped for 25 years or so.

Offline cbussoccer

« Reply #403 on: April 25, 2017, 07:14:58 PM »

I don't think anything will become of the lawn area next to the courthouse. It's county property and they are just land-banking the site. There's a patch of lawn on the north side of Mound between High and 3rd - the site of the former juvi. It's been undeveloped for 25 years or so.

I think there is a pretty good chance something does come of it considering how valuable that land will be once the other projects finish up. When the whole River South District was just a bunch of parking lots and rundown buildings they had no incentive to do anything with the land, but now that it's so valuable they could potentially do something like what the city did with North Market parking lot, albeit not on nearly the same scale.

Offline Columbo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #404 on: July 16, 2017, 05:28:53 PM »
May 31 RiverSouth construction update from CU:  http://www.columbusunderground.com/construction-roundup-downtown-may-2017-we1

LC's Trautman Building (8 stories, 106 apartments) at the northwest corner of Rich & High:

LC's Beatty Building (10 stories, 137 apartments) at the southwest corner of Rich & High:

Borror's 5-story, 89-unit apartment building at southwest corner of Front & Main:

Remove Ads