Author Topic: Cincinnati: Bicycling Developments and News  (Read 126587 times)

Offline jwulsin

• 947'-Key Tower
Re: Cincinnati: Bicycling Developments and News
« Reply #980 on: February 03, 2017, 11:35:31 AM »
Ugh. Not only is this a missed opportunity (to do on-street cycle tracks), it seems to be worsening the existing streetscape by removing trees and shrinking the medians. Seeing how much more extensive the project is (shifting the median around a few feet here and there, redoing the curbs, removing etc), it's even more incomprehensible now. The medians are already landscaped nicely with plantings and granite pavers. Why does the city want to spend $600k on this? How does this pass any reasonable cost-benefit analysis? It won't be successful as a bike facility. It removes nearly 30 "mature-ish" trees. And it will neither increase nor decrease traffic capacity (seems like the travel and turn lanes have not changed substantively)... so who actually benefits from this expensive project? $600k of streetscape improvements could be much better spent on any number of potential street improvements around the city.

Offline SleepyLeroy

• 468'-Scripps Center
« Reply #981 on: February 03, 2017, 02:03:20 PM »
Ugh. Not only is this a missed opportunity (to do on-street cycle tracks), it seems to be worsening the existing streetscape by removing trees and shrinking the medians. Seeing how much more extensive the project is (shifting the median around a few feet here and there, redoing the curbs, removing etc), it's even more incomprehensible now. The medians are already landscaped nicely with plantings and granite pavers. Why does the city want to spend $600k on this? How does this pass any reasonable cost-benefit analysis? It won't be successful as a bike facility. It removes nearly 30 "mature-ish" trees. And it will neither increase nor decrease traffic capacity (seems like the travel and turn lanes have not changed substantively)... so who actually benefits from this expensive project? $600k of streetscape improvements could be much better spent on any number of potential street improvements around the city.

The Mayor needs to bump up his resume and urbanist cred among the Washington crowd. Only this.

Offline jjakucyk

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
    • Cincinnati Traction History
« Reply #982 on: February 03, 2017, 05:36:01 PM »
To be fair the trees they cut down weren't all that mature.  Rather stunted I would say.  Yes they were bigger than new plantings, but not a lot.  They do seem to have a lot of new trees in typical tree grates in the plan, but again that's a sidewalk design.  We should've gotten something like this https://goo.gl/maps/hfGxb9tzW992 or this https://goo.gl/maps/NUwJ6AWCo5B2

Offline jmecklenborg

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #983 on: February 23, 2017, 01:15:25 AM »

Offline Mystic Timbers

• Administrator
  • ♪♪ An Apollo Legend! ♪♪
« Reply #984 on: March 08, 2017, 12:11:32 AM »
Bike trail will connect key parts of a major Greater Cincinnati park

A key piece of a bike trail that will better connect Northern Kentucky is near completion, according to a regional cycling group.

The Ludlow Connector Trail is a shared-use path that will connect the eastern and western parts of Devou Park as well as provide pedestrian and cyclist access to the large park from Ludlow, which only has access to Devou Park by car today. It is expected to be finished by this spring.

More below:
http://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2017/03/07/bike-trail-will-connect-key-parts-of-a-major.html
I love it when people come into a message board and immediately begin to mix it up.  I mean, Jesus, at least say hello!  Do you walk into a room full of strangers, pick a random woman, and tell her she's fat? - buildingcincinnati

Offline taestell

• Global Moderator
    • UrbanCincy
« Reply #985 on: March 14, 2017, 10:54:46 AM »
Cincinnati will be repaving 112 lane-miles of streets this year. Our city's Bike Plan called for bike lanes to be added as streets are repaved. Unfortunately, due to our stubborn mayor who dislikes on-street bike lanes, the plan isn't being implemented and this opportunity is being squandered. The Cranley years will go down as "the lost years" when it comes to our city's bike infrastructure... nearly 500 lane-miles repaved during his first term and not a single new bike lane.
Check out my photography on Flickr or Instagram | Twitter: @urbancincy & @taestell | The UrbanCincy Podcast (iTunes)

Offline jwulsin

• 947'-Key Tower
« Reply #986 on: March 14, 2017, 01:28:38 PM »
Cincinnati will be repaving 112 lane-miles of streets this year. Our city's Bike Plan called for bike lanes to be added as streets are repaved. Unfortunately, due to our stubborn mayor who dislikes on-street bike lanes, the plan isn't being implemented and this opportunity is being squandered. The Cranley years will go down as "the lost years" when it comes to our city's bike infrastructure... nearly 500 lane-miles repaved during his first term and not a single new bike lane.
Weren't Delta and Riverside bike lanes added under Cranley? Or did those get done under Mallory?

Offline jmecklenborg

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #987 on: March 14, 2017, 01:38:40 PM »
Some stuff that was cued up under Mallory happened during the first months Cranley was in office. 

Offline taestell

• Global Moderator
    • UrbanCincy
« Reply #988 on: March 14, 2017, 02:33:28 PM »
Right, I think the in-progress stuff still happened, but I think there was essentially a mandate handed down of, "don't include bike lanes going forward." What makes matters worse is that the city borrowed money to implement a Capital Acceleration Plan in order to repave even more streets during the Cranley administration.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 02:33:51 PM by taestell »
Check out my photography on Flickr or Instagram | Twitter: @urbancincy & @taestell | The UrbanCincy Podcast (iTunes)

Offline jmecklenborg

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #989 on: March 14, 2017, 02:45:23 PM »
But where are those streets?  Aside from Woolper, I haven't seen a single rebuilt street, anywhere.  And we're three years into Cranley's reign of terror and there has been precious little progress on the West MLK project. 

Offline jjakucyk

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
    • Cincinnati Traction History
« Reply #990 on: March 14, 2017, 07:01:21 PM »
Kellogg got repaved between Wilmer and Salem.  Spring Grove south of Hopple Street is in progress, very slow progress, mostly sidewalk work still, including the bumpouts that seem designed specifically to block bike lane construction.  Spring Grove and the Dooley Bypass in Northside were also finally done (they were awful), and that was a big miss because the Mill Creek Trail is so out of the way and discontinuous, especially with such limited access.  Same for Elmore and Colerain that were two-wayed.  Central Parkway north of Marshall is a huge miss, and it's not like Marshall itself couldn't also have lines.  Herschel near Kilgour School was repaved, as was Linwood, with no love.  Marburg and Markbreit in Oakley had potential.  Same with Lincoln Avenue in Walnut Hills, since MLK is a total F**k-up.  Piedmont Avenue through the hospital would've been good, especially since they've been restricting parking on it.  Tennessee Avenue was a miss.  Much of Ludlow through the Clifton business district is on the docket, but that's a tough one.  Ezzard Charles is also on the service request website, though not the brochure, same with Rhode Island. 

Offline taestell

• Global Moderator
    • UrbanCincy
« Reply #991 on: March 14, 2017, 09:04:28 PM »
Most of the streets that got repaved in Northside were not part of the Capital Acceleration Plan. They were part of the I-75 Mill Creek Expressway project. Since the highway ramps to/from Northside got removed, it no longer made sense to keep those as one-way funnels, so they could be returned to two-way traffic. It's actually a bit annoying the way they striped these roads. Instead of just doing a standard 4 lane road with 2 lanes each way, they added a bunch of lane shifts so that they could have left turn lanes at key intersections. Traffic engineers love dedicated left turn lanes.

I had the same feeling as you about the Spring Grove Avenue work. It does seem like they intentionally added those sidewalk bump-outs in a way that would prevent the bike lanes from ever being extended up to Northside. Yet another squandered opportunity.

Offline jmecklenborg

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #992 on: March 14, 2017, 09:18:01 PM »
I barely noticed the bumpouts.  The Spring Grove lanes have never been contiguous nor are they regularly cleaned. They end down by JD's Honky Tonk and then I think start up once again south of the viaduct.  I can't remember.  I bike there fairly often because it's flat and there is virtually no traffic on Spring Grove at night or on the weekends.  I bike down Spring Grove to Dalton then across Mehring then out Riverside then up Delta then back to my house on WM H Taft for a pretty relaxed 20-mile ride.  If I have two hours before I have to be somewhere I do that ride because I know it takes around 80-90 minutes.  If I have less time I cut back at Collins then Taft. 

The Ludlow Ave. hill has had bad pavement for a long time.  I don't notice it on my heavier bike but my road bike bounces all over the place in the right lane and I'm touching the brakes the whole way down.  I'm often tempted to ride right on the double yellow just to get off the rough pavement but with the police station right there I've never done it. 

I don't believe the Sycamore Hill has been repaved in at least 20 years.  It still has an invisible but mean bump in it right at Milton St. that has probably sent at least one hill-bombing biker over their handlebars. 

Offline Mystic Timbers

• Administrator
  • ♪♪ An Apollo Legend! ♪♪
« Reply #993 on: March 20, 2017, 02:59:00 PM »
​Park + Vine owner gets new gig

The former owner of Over-the-Rhine retailer Park + Vine has a new job at a Greater Cincinnati environmental group.

Danny Korman will advocate for bicycling as trails ambassador for Green Umbrella, whose mission is to coordinate environmental and sustainability collaboration among 200 members including nonprofits, businesses, educational institutions and governments.

More below:
http://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2017/03/20/park-vine-owner-gets-new-gig.html
I love it when people come into a message board and immediately begin to mix it up.  I mean, Jesus, at least say hello!  Do you walk into a room full of strangers, pick a random woman, and tell her she's fat? - buildingcincinnati

Remove Ads