Author Topic: Cleveland: Detroit-Shoreway / Gordon Square Arts District: Development and News  (Read 618060 times)

Offline clvlndr

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
^Meh.

They're reinvesting in a city neighborhood. Better than them closing the location and it becoming a vacant lot. Can't have a gastropub on every corner. Not a huge fan of McD's either.

I guess it does look better than the old one.  It's just a few blocks from excellent, ped friendly Gordon Square, though.

Offline clvlndr

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
Detroit Shoreway affordable housing project by RTA rapid station to get underway in August

CLEVELAND, Ohio - Construction of Aspen Place, an affordable apartment building and transit-oriented development on Lorain Avenue, will begin this fall after five years of planning.

Groundbreaking on the 40-unit building at West 61st Street is scheduled in August with construction beginning the next month, said Anya Kulscar, director of real estate for the Detroit Shoreway Community Development Organization. The building will be complete in the fall of 2018.

"This is Detroit Shoreway's first real investment on Lorain Avenue," she said. "We are really excited. We have worked with RTA the last five years to get the project off the ground."

http://www.cleveland.com/cuyahoga-county/index.ssf/2017/07/detroit-shoreway_affordable_housing_project_by_rta_station_to_get_underway_in_august.html#comments

This is certainly a step forward and will cause yet another empty lot next to a Rapid station disappear into worthy multi-unit housing... It's amazing how long it took -- the better part of a decade -- just to put together a financing package for this somewhat modest development (remember all the big plans for apt towers, expanded Eco-Village townhomes, grocery store and other retail at this site when RTA rebuilt the W. 65th Rapid station? -- none of this materialized)... However, this project symbolizes the region's sudden interest and burst of energy in TOD which is popping up in a number of spots along the Rapid line...

But also it's great to see new development such as this rise in this still somewhat shabby south end of Detroit-Shoreway.  I know some may roll their eyes at the affordable housing aspect of this project, but I sure don't. 

Offline MorningTheft

• 468'-Scripps Center
  • In my day we didn't need a cell phone to get some.
Any know what this would be?

Board of Zoning Appeals
AUGUST 7, 2017

9:30
Calendar No. 17-209: 5900 Detroit Ave. Ward 15
Matt Zone
21 Notices
K2 Holdings, owner, proposes to change use from store and dwelling to stores and assembly hall with
entertainment in a C2 Local Retail Business District and a Pedestrian Retail Overlay District (PRO).
The owner appeals for relief from the strict application of the following sections of the Cleveland
Codified
1. Section 343.01 which states that assembly and entertainment are not permitted in a Local
Retail Business District.
2. Section 343.11(B)(2)(L) which states that assembly and entertainment are first permitted in
General Retail Business subject to the regulations of section 347.12 provided that the place or
building in which the use is located is sufficiently sound-insulated to confine the noise to the
premises.
3. Section 349.04(e) which states that 11 parking spaces are required and 3 spaces are
proposed.
4. Section 347.12(a)(1) which states that no such use shall be established within 500 feet of a
residential district, day care, kindergarten, elementary or secondary school, public library,
church, playground, public or nonprofit recreation or community center. (Filed July 11, 2017)

It's the old Guide to Kulchar building.  They are turning it into either a coworking space or an incubator...I can't remember which.   They had it open a little during Dyngus Day.  They were gutting the place.

Offline Cleburger

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
I wish the renovation would make the building interact with the street better. The BK at Lake is still worse and I'd love to see that thing just come down.

Agree 100% with both of these statements.   

Detroit Shoreway is booming and lots of people aren't using cars.  Why not bring the building closer to the street and have a covered front seating area with a walk-up window?

That BK site could become a great corner site for a mixed-use retail/apt building.   But I think we're a few years off.

That BK lot would make a great space for a
I got some records from World War II
I play 'em just like me grand dad do
He was a rocker and I am too....Now Cleveland rocks....

Offline ethlaw

• 367'-PNC Bank
Speaking of that McDonald's, I was thinking about how bad that stretch of Detroit is, from the McDonald's to the Family Dollar to the childcare center. So, I got bored and made a thing (mostly just with MS Paint) that would improve the street presence, keep the Family Dollar & McDonald's (including the drive-thru), as well as add more retail (with at least a couple stories of residential on top of course). The addition of traffic lights at W. 73rd would also improve traffic patterns there. According to the County, the total certified values for all of these parcels is $952,500 and they're owned by just two entities (one being McDonald's Corp).
« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 04:23:55 PM by ethlaw »

Offline math

• 468'-Scripps Center
The problem is that both sides of the street are bad there.

Offline BelievelandD1

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
It's funny because if that super modern McDonald's in Ohio would've opened up, this one was set to close and that land was set to be developed for apartments similar to what's going on in hingetown, but the OC threw a tantrum over a McDonald's

Offline BelievelandD1

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
^and would rather have an empty Hollywood video
« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 07:01:55 PM by BelievelandD1 »

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
    • All Aboard Ohio
Agenda for August 10, 2017
The Landmarks Commission Meeting starts at 9:00am in Room 514 City Hall

Case 17-046
Gordon Square Historic District
Detroit Avenue Various Locations
Mural Plan

Ward 15
Zone
Erin Guido
LAND Studio

The murals and their proposed placements are shown here:
http://planning.city.cleveland.oh.us/landmark/agenda/2017/08102017/index.php

Locations:

"Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we've been waiting for."-- Barack Obama

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
RTA board today OK'd a real estate transaction to enable this Transit Oriented Development...

2017-71 Authorizing the Greater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority to (1) enter into a purchase and sale agreement in the amount of one hundred twenty thousand dollars ($120,000.00) with Aspen Place Apartments, L.P., an Ohio Limited Partnership, for a portion of the West 65th Street Eco Village Rapid Transit Station property, known as PPN 002-27-091 and located at 6016 Lorain Avenue, Cleveland Ohio 44102; and (2) enter into a lease of ten (10) parking spaces along west 61st street at twelve hundred dollars ($1,200.00) per year for a term of three years with two options of three years each
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 11:07:30 PM by KJP »
"Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we've been waiting for."-- Barack Obama

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
Board of Zoning Appeals

AUGUST 28, 2017

Calendar No. 17-226: 6000 Father Caruso Dr. Ward 15
Matt Zone
23 Notices
Breakwater Bluffs LLC, owner, proposes to establish use of a 10,000 square foot building as retail in a
B1 Multi-Family Residential District. The owner appeals for relief from the strict application of Section
337.08 which states that retail use is not permitted in Multi-Family residence district. (Filed July 28,
2017)

http://planning.city.cleveland.oh.us/bza/agenda/2017/crr08-28-2017.pdf

Offline dastler

• 0'-Surface Lot
Is there any word on what they plan to use the space for? I'm assuming this is for the warehouse on the north-east corner of the Edison project? 6000 Father Caruso points to w65th on google maps, but there isn't anything near 10,000 sq. ft. there.

Board of Zoning Appeals

AUGUST 28, 2017

Calendar No. 17-226: 6000 Father Caruso Dr. Ward 15
Matt Zone
23 Notices
Breakwater Bluffs LLC, owner, proposes to establish use of a 10,000 square foot building as retail in a
B1 Multi-Family Residential District. The owner appeals for relief from the strict application of Section
337.08 which states that retail use is not permitted in Multi-Family residence district. (Filed July 28,
2017)

http://planning.city.cleveland.oh.us/bza/agenda/2017/crr08-28-2017.pdf

Remove Ads