Author Topic: Cleveland: Ohio City: Development and News  (Read 1015714 times)

Offline lafont

• 665'-Queen City Square
Re: Cleveland: Ohio City: Development and News
« Reply #5110 on: August 13, 2017, 07:35:22 PM »
No, east of there.  Centered across from West 38th Street. Shoreway northern border. Not where pastel townhouses are - east of those. Never mind, it looks from aerial view on Google maps like there was no building there recently.  This is just to the west of Spaces, and the site is quite small.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 07:40:49 PM by lafont »

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #5111 on: August 13, 2017, 11:28:42 PM »
There hasn't been a building there since Bulkley Boulevard (today's West Shoreway) was built in the 1890s.
"Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we've been waiting for."-- Barack Obama

Offline lafont

• 665'-Queen City Square
« Reply #5112 on: August 14, 2017, 07:48:02 AM »
Thanks.  Now I see an article from May 2017, devoted to the proposed high school.  Is it the final plan for a new high school to go where Max Hayes was?  I know construction and location had been a controversy. 
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 10:49:51 AM by lafont »

Offline lafont

• 665'-Queen City Square
« Reply #5113 on: August 14, 2017, 08:37:21 AM »
Okay, I see as of May this year that was the plan - for the new high school to rise on that site, with considerable changes from the '50s building - e.g. it will come right to Detroit Avenue, et.  I hope these plans are still intact and wonder if construction will begin this year.  There's a huge hole there in the Ohio City/Gordon Square fabric.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 08:38:01 AM by lafont »

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #5114 on: August 14, 2017, 10:44:02 AM »
Okay, I see as of May this year that was the plan - for the new high school to rise on that site, with considerable changes from the '50s building - e.g. it will come right to Detroit Avenue, et.  I hope these plans are still intact and wonder if construction will begin this year.  There's a huge hole there in the Ohio City/Gordon Square fabric.

I hope the plans don't stay intact. Developers have proposed to buy and build on the eastern half of the Max Hayes site, leaving the western half for the new high school and plenty of parking.
"Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we've been waiting for."-- Barack Obama

Offline viscomi

• 408'-Kettering Tower
« Reply #5115 on: Yesterday at 11:42:24 AM »
Looked like there was some asphalt roof repair going on this morning at the building on the southeast corner of Detroit and W25th. Wasn't this building coming down soon, why would you put money into it? Anyone know what was going on? 

Offline YABO713

• 629'-Rhodes State Tower
« Reply #5116 on: Yesterday at 11:46:49 AM »
Looked like there was some asphalt roof repair going on this morning at the building on the southeast corner of Detroit and W25th. Wasn't this building coming down soon, why would you put money into it? Anyone know what was going on?

It was never my impression that building was coming down, though I wish it would. I know the county still owns the building immediately adjacent to that parcel as well.
"They tell me of the River Cuyahoga in the Ohio territory; upon it a great city will emerge." - Correspondence of Thomas Jefferson in drafting 'Notes on the State of Virginia'

Offline viscomi

• 408'-Kettering Tower
« Reply #5117 on: Yesterday at 11:51:57 AM »

It was never my impression that building was coming down, though I wish it would. I know the county still owns the building immediately adjacent to that parcel as well.

It was my thinking that everything north of the Riverview tower was coming down as part of the stabilization effort.

Offline RMB

• 367'-PNC Bank
« Reply #5118 on: Yesterday at 11:56:34 AM »
I think that one building/parcel is still privately held but there have been discussions about it.  Lots of stakeholders would like it gone.

Offline YABO713

« Reply #5119 on: Yesterday at 12:15:02 PM »
I'm still not convinced Riverview Towers will be open by the end of next year
"They tell me of the River Cuyahoga in the Ohio territory; upon it a great city will emerge." - Correspondence of Thomas Jefferson in drafting 'Notes on the State of Virginia'

Offline clvlndr

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #5120 on: Yesterday at 12:46:38 PM »
I'm still not convinced Riverview Towers will be open by the end of next year

Any facts or sources behind your thinking?

Offline Clefan98

• 947'-Key Tower
« Reply #5121 on: Yesterday at 12:52:22 PM »

It was my thinking that everything north of the Riverview tower was coming down as part of the stabilization effort.

Yes, a public park will be built once the smaller buildings north of Riverview get taken down. 

Offline lafont

• 665'-Queen City Square
« Reply #5122 on: Yesterday at 01:01:47 PM »
I didn't know Riverview Towers is closed.  Is it a big renovation job?

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #5123 on: Yesterday at 01:03:58 PM »
I didn't know Riverview Towers is closed.  Is it a big renovation job?

They're demolishing the buildings, I believe all the way north to Detroit-Superior, right?

Offline YABO713

« Reply #5124 on: Yesterday at 01:15:29 PM »

Nothing concrete. But from my brief experience with the legal side of property, when someone wants a building condemned, they start leaving a paper trail. Riverview has had countless complaints re: elevator functionality as well as fixtures within the building within the last two years.

And as awful as this may be in practice, it is difficult to ignore the fact that Riverview sits on arguably the most sought after piece of property in Northeast Ohio. So, the paper trail as well as the value of the property lead me to believe that the building will not last much longer.

The money CMHA could get for the property would likely be able to pay for relocation on its own.

Gentrification can be awesome, but it brings along with it some cruel realities. Just my prediction.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 01:15:58 PM by YABO713 »

Offline surfohio

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #5125 on: Yesterday at 07:11:09 PM »

Nothing concrete. But from my brief experience with the legal side of property, when someone wants a building condemned, they start leaving a paper trail. Riverview has had countless complaints re: elevator functionality as well as fixtures within the building within the last two years.

Their faulty actually elevators actually led to someone dying a few years ago.

Offline CbusTransit

• 468'-Scripps Center
« Reply #5126 on: Yesterday at 07:46:34 PM »
I can tell you that none of the plans I have ever heard (public meetings I've witnessed), none of the plans I have ever seen (documents I have read), and none of the discussions I have ever been part of (in applying for grants in relation to Irishtown bend) have brought up the possibility of these towers going away. In fact, each conversation has explicitly included the keeping of these towers even while other CMHA properties have been targeted for demolition.

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #5127 on: Today at 11:59:04 AM »
This is for the proposed Hulett Hotel:
http://realestate.cleveland.com/realestate-news/2017/04/cleveland_hostel_owner_plans_b.html

Board of Zoning Appeals

AUGUST 28, 2017

9:30
Calendar No. 17-233: 1468 West 25 Street Ward 3
Kerry McCormack
14 Notices
Buray LLC, owner, proposes to erect an 11,000 square foot addition and establish use as a hotel with
24 guestrooms, one dwelling unit and 1,250 square foot bar in a D3 Local Retail Business District and
a Pedestrian Retail Overlay District. The owner appeals for relief from the strict application of
355.04(b) which states that in a D area district the maximum gross floor area cannot exceed the lot
area square footage. In this case a gross floor area equal to 13,840 square feet is permitted and the
appellant is proposing 20,000 square feet. (Filed August 1, 2017)

http://planning.city.cleveland.oh.us/bza/agenda/2017/crr08-28-2017.pdf

Remove Ads