Author Topic: Painesville / Lake County: Development and News  (Read 26297 times)

Offline eastvillagedon

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
Re: Painesville / Lake County: Development and News
« Reply #70 on: June 22, 2017, 04:07:44 PM »
I'm desperately trying to find a drawing of the proposed new building and can't. Hopefully it won't be too awful. For comic relief, here are some articles from over fifty years ago (I was in elementary school, okay?) about the grand (grandiose) plan to re-do downtown. It was a last ditch attempt to reverse its inevitable decline. The worst part of it of course was the demolition of so many historic buildings that erased much of its character, which is why this most recent example is so sad--

my favorite quote: "Eventually a ghost town atmosphere can develop." ha ha...no kidding :laugh:

I'm not sure what Robert Jenks did, but he lived in a big house behind a brick-walled compound (containing a couple of other homes), back when there were still a few wealthy people still left in Painesville

Dale Helsel, the city manager at the time (I don't know why he's identified as Pres. of city council here. I always loved to blame him for this fiasco, but I didn't understand until much later he really only acts at the behest of the city council. I think), had a Yale and Berkeley education. This is proof that even the most elite credentials are no guarantee of competence--lol (his son was in my class in school) By high school, they had moved on to another town--I think Hamilton, OH, as asst city mgr--so he didn't have to face the consequences of an embittered public when it was obvious this scheme had failed badly
« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 04:09:06 PM by eastvillagedon »

Offline eastvillagedon

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #71 on: June 22, 2017, 04:42:37 PM »
^my mistake, former P'ville city manager left town for Middletown, not Hamilton. He can't sue me for these remarks, can he?

http://www.midpointedigitalarchives.org/cdm/ref/collection/p16488coll4/id/1642

Offline eastvillagedon

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #72 on: Yesterday at 02:59:14 PM »
Construction of the long-planned public pier off Painesville Township Park is finally getting under way. I know, this video is about as exciting as watching paint dry--

http://www.news-herald.com/article/hr/20140814/NEWS/140819784

Remove Ads