Author Topic: Ladyfest Dayton  (Read 3916 times)

Offline Jeffrey

• 629'-Rhodes State Tower
Ladyfest Dayton
« on: September 20, 2008, 08:28:56 AM »
LadyFest  Dayton.

This was weekend, starting as part of Urban Nights, but going on through the weekend.  Apparently LadyFest is an international movement, but got started here in the US, in Olympia, Washington (one wonders about a riot girrrl connection?). 

The space is the creative incubator being set up by a group working off of Richard Florida’s creative class ideas, trying to make Dayton more interesting, or, really, trying to facilitate the emergence of things that are allready here, but underground.

Lots of political lit &agit/prop in this corner:

Little rooms and stuff:

The Dayton Dirt Collective has their own space, where they mostly do music programming.  Very DiY.

They were handing out this compilation of the shows from the past summer

The DDC space, around the corner and around the block from the Ladyfest space:

Guitar Raffle

The always enjoyable and folky Dawn Cooksey, from Yellow Springs

Dayton, Ohio: originals wanted

« Last Edit: September 20, 2008, 08:37:29 AM by Jeffrey »
Friends to Save the Arcade...stay informed via the website of the grassroots movement to save the Dayton Arcade.

Offline Jeffrey

Re: Ladyfest Dayton
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2008, 08:39:33 AM »
Next up:

Hispanic Festival (Riverfront)

Peace One Day Festival (Courthouse Square)

Dayton Music Festival (Oregon)
Friends to Save the Arcade...stay informed via the website of the grassroots movement to save the Dayton Arcade.

Offline Robert Pence

• UO's Guardian Angel
  • Premium Member
  • Still mostly sweet, but don't push your luck.
    • robert pence
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2008, 10:15:43 AM »
Fun Stuff!
Better than ever, and always growing! My photography web site

Some people are like slinkies -- not much good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

Offline Jeffrey

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2008, 11:11:24 AM »
I'm pushing 50, so this is a bit too "youth culture" for me.  Still, interesting to see things happening here in Dayton that you wouldn't expect.

Offline edale

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2008, 11:48:38 AM »
I feel like Dayton has such a strong underground community, and many events like this (from your pictures).  Is it fair to say that Dayton has more of a counter-culture movement than Cincinnati, or that it is just more underground, or that I am just un aware of these types of events in Cincinnati?  Anyways, Dayton continues to impress.

Offline acetone

• 367'-PNC Bank
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2008, 11:56:20 AM »
One interesting thing about living in this kind of market in this economy is the emergence (colonization?) of unique and creative uses such as the Dirt Collective, the creative incubator, and the Circus community garden at 4th and Wayne.  Maybe the Art stuff in the Oregon District as well.

Offline Mystic Timbers

• Administrator
  • ♪♪ An Apollo Legend! ♪♪
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2008, 01:07:57 AM »
I feel like Dayton has such a strong underground community, and many events like this (from your pictures).  Is it fair to say that Dayton has more of a counter-culture movement than Cincinnati, or that it is just more underground, or that I am just un aware of these types of events in Cincinnati?  Anyways, Dayton continues to impress.

Probably.  It's a trend of "rust belt, industrial" cities (not saying Cincinnati isn't, it's just a bit more white collar).  Think of Detroit, Buffalo, Cleveland, and Pittsburgh for other "counter-culture" movements.
I love it when people come into a message board and immediately begin to mix it up.  I mean, Jesus, at least say hello!  Do you walk into a room full of strangers, pick a random woman, and tell her she's fat? - buildingcincinnati

Offline Jeffrey

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2008, 08:41:09 AM »
^
Add Providence RI to that list.  Stuff in Providence is the inspiration for that Creative Incubator.

@@@

Is it fair to say that Dayton has more of a counter-culture movement than Cincinnati, or that it is just more underground, or that I am just un aware of these types of events in Cincinnati?

Cincy is a bigger city with a true urban university, so it has more of a scene, which I know little about but pick up on by reading stuff in CityBeat (when I get down to Cincy) and on this board.  There is something like the Dirt Collective in the Northside, in an old building on Ludlow.  They've done collaborations with the DDC.  And there are things like the Fringe Festival, Midpoint, the Mockbee, Shake-It Records (esp their books/zines selection) etc, so stuff is going on in Cincy.

I guess Cincy posters could feature more of that scene here on pix threads...people just post on what they're into, I guess.

« Last Edit: September 21, 2008, 08:45:15 AM by Jeffrey »

Remove Ads