Author Topic: Another dumb-a$$ list / Ranking of cities  (Read 290736 times)

Offline The_Cincinnati_Kid

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • The Big Daddy From Cincinnati
Re: Another dumb-a$$ list / Ranking of cities
« Reply #2030 on: April 14, 2017, 03:09:04 PM »
Cincinnati named a top U.S. city of the future
Apr 14, 2017, 10:58am EDT
Erin Caproni Digital Producer Cincinnati Business Courier

Cincinnati has been named one of the top 10 American cities of the future by fDi Magazine.

The Queen City was named No. 6 overall in large cities in the American Cities of the Future edition of the magazine along with No. 9 in large cities for economic potential, No. 8 in large cities for business friendliness and No. 4 in large cities for foreign direct investment strategy.

http://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2017/04/14/cincinnati-named-a-top-u-s-city-of-the-future.html
"Rock & Roll attained perfection in 1974, it's a scientific fact."- Homer Simpson

Offline David

• Premium Member
« Reply #2031 on: April 15, 2017, 01:24:12 PM »
There seems to be a lot of tech start up companies in CIN. Obviously that's happening in most cities but Cincinnati seems to have a pretty big (and rapidly growing) tech scene receiving a lot of investment, from what I see on LinkedIn.
Modern architects recognize 300 masterpieces but ignore the other 30 million buildings that have ruined the world. - Andres Duany

Offline Cincinnatus

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Male/33/Cincinnati - BBW - Enjoys parks
« Reply #2032 on: April 20, 2017, 02:44:50 PM »
There seems to be a lot of tech start up companies in CIN. Obviously that's happening in most cities but Cincinnati seems to have a pretty big (and rapidly growing) tech scene receiving a lot of investment, from what I see on LinkedIn.

This is true. Especially in OTR. I sell companies their servers, software (licenses), hardware and cloud services (AWS & Azure). I travel sometimes to Austin and we're getting noticed on their radars as well.
The opening of IKEA just might save Cincinnati from the nation-wide economic downturn. -Jack Atherton

Offline David

• Premium Member
« Reply #2033 on: April 20, 2017, 03:31:49 PM »

This is true. Especially in OTR. I sell companies their servers, software (licenses), hardware and cloud services (AWS & Azure). I travel sometimes to Austin and we're getting noticed on their radars as well.

Right! Any word on why OTR in particular? I'm curious.

Really?! No way. You work for Azure? I get calls from Azure all the time because I've used them to deploy web apps. They used to hound me all the time. I'd get so disappointed, getting calls from Microsoft, thinking it as a recruiter interested in me (I sent my resume all over the place) but it's just them trying to get me to upgrade the service. They were pretty relentless when I first signed up. That's awesome. Sounds like you have a really cool job and you're in the right place for it.
Modern architects recognize 300 masterpieces but ignore the other 30 million buildings that have ruined the world. - Andres Duany

Offline Cincinnatus

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Male/33/Cincinnati - BBW - Enjoys parks
« Reply #2034 on: April 21, 2017, 08:38:01 AM »

Right! Any word on why OTR in particular? I'm curious.

Really?! No way. You work for Azure? I get calls from Azure all the time because I've used them to deploy web apps. They used to hound me all the time. I'd get so disappointed, getting calls from Microsoft, thinking it as a recruiter interested in me (I sent my resume all over the place) but it's just them trying to get me to upgrade the service. They were pretty relentless when I first signed up. That's awesome. Sounds like you have a really cool job and you're in the right place for it.

Azure is Microsoft's answer to Amazon (AWS) and cloud infrastructure management.

I think it's a combination of a few things ...

1. There's momentum. A couple of tech startups became successful and people in their network saw that it could be done.

2. Crossroads has an extremely aggressive incubator/mentoring/entrepreneur program called Oceann. At one of their latest events, they had Daymond John speak, from Shark Tank. http://oceanaccelerator.com/

3. It seems like everyone's working as one large network to accomplish a single goal and that is to put Cincy on the map and promote their ideas.

4. A lot of the upper management from some of the local startups came from large corporations, i.e. P&G, is a great example. So they have the know-how in being a successful leader. Side note, many of Crossroads leadership staff came from large organizations, including Chuck Mingo the 2nd in command to Brian Tome.

5. Just great ideas, right ... Take Lisnr for instance ... this technology has the ability to really change things on a global scale. I'm in my mid 30's now and having spent 15+ years in wireless I remember when people were like "what's Bluetooth?" ... Now we're shocked if a device doesn't have Bluetooth. Check this out: http://lisnr.com/ ... SXSW: https://www.forbes.com/sites/theyec/2016/03/10/10-ways-your-startup-can-rise-above-the-noise-at-sxsw/#7a24c07a33b2

Yeah, it's a great job!
The opening of IKEA just might save Cincinnati from the nation-wide economic downturn. -Jack Atherton

Offline Pugu

• Swimming the Cuyahoga
  • 947'-Key Tower
« Reply #2035 on: April 21, 2017, 08:58:52 AM »

Offline Brutus_buckeye

• 771'-Terminal Tower
« Reply #2036 on: April 21, 2017, 09:32:23 AM »
I thought I saw Cincinnati and Columbus just missed the cut at 11 & 12 :)

Offline viscomi

• 408'-Kettering Tower
« Reply #2037 on: April 21, 2017, 10:56:59 AM »
I'd get so disappointed, getting calls from Microsoft, thinking it as a recruiter interested in me (I sent my resume all over the place) but it's just them trying to get me to upgrade the service.

Dave, you're in Cleveland right?  .Net VB/C#?? Message me.

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #2038 on: April 24, 2017, 03:25:23 PM »
1 apartment in #Soho buys you 38 homes in #Memphis  @Richard_Florida the #newurbancrisis https://t.co/CBsH1vfUKB https://t.co/WEDJWYKFja
"I play to people’s fantasies."
--Donald Trump

Remove Ads