Author Topic: Cincinnati: Over-the-Rhine: 3CDC Development and News  (Read 684250 times)

Offline thebillshark

• 771'-Terminal Tower
Re: Cincinnati: Over-the-Rhine: 3CDC Development and News
« Reply #3465 on: April 20, 2017, 03:42:53 PM »
Hmm... OK, but I hope they don't start going nuts building out office space. I really do think OTR works better as a residential neighborhood. An office doesn't need to be in a "human scale" neighborhood but it's extremely beneficial for a residence to be.

Offline jmicha

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #3466 on: April 20, 2017, 03:52:52 PM »
I disapprove of 1500 Vine being commercial. Should 100% be lofts. I'm cool with everything else though. Office space helps with daytime population which helps most businesses and helps get essential services into the neighborhood quicker since offices pack more people in per square foot than residential.

Offline joshknut

• 468'-Scripps Center
« Reply #3467 on: April 21, 2017, 08:10:18 AM »
I think 1500 Vine would make a great hotel

Offline Cincy513

• 408'-Kettering Tower
« Reply #3468 on: April 21, 2017, 08:53:01 AM »
Good to see. The one on Walnut will especially help in bridging the gap between Vine and Main. When are they going to do something with 1410 Vine? I really hope that becomes the beer hall that it use to be.

Offline IAGuy39

• 771'-Terminal Tower
« Reply #3469 on: April 21, 2017, 08:57:25 AM »
In my mind I think it's OK these buildings on the NE and SE corner of 15th and Vine will be Office.  Really Vine Street is going to be a corridor for Tech companies with commercial/restaurant/bars below.  There is so much room on the side streets with empty lots and abandoned buildings to add many more residents, and possibly this will induce more people working at these companies to invest some money into the residences on the side streets.

There is so much room for development on the 1400 block of Walnut and also on East. 15th there.  I think that is another huge project where they need to build some structured parking behind the Kroger.  Most likely they will tie in a huge Mercer type development there once Kroger builds a new store on CP and Walnut...

Offline taestell

• Global Moderator
  • Obtaining Glory on UrbanOhio since 2008.™
    • UrbanCincy
« Reply #3470 on: April 25, 2017, 02:22:40 PM »
New aerial shot of the Mercer IV (Empower MediaMarketing) office building going up on 14th:

Check out my photography on Flickr or Instagram | Twitter: @urbancincy & @taestell | The UrbanCincy Podcast (iTunes)

Offline chinkley

• 555'-LeVeque Tower
« Reply #3471 on: April 25, 2017, 02:56:09 PM »
I still can't believe that we got a substantial building built without a single additional parking space.

Offline seicer

• Premium Member
« Reply #3472 on: April 25, 2017, 03:02:19 PM »
How did the Over-the-Rhine Community Foundation feel about that? It looks TOTALLY out of scale! And that green facade? Totally chic.

Offline jmecklenborg

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #3473 on: April 25, 2017, 03:28:44 PM »
I still can't believe that we got a substantial building built without a single additional parking space.

Residents that use the Mercer garage and commute outward free up spaces for those who commute into the area. 

Offline jmicha

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #3474 on: April 25, 2017, 03:35:30 PM »
How did the Over-the-Rhine Community Foundation feel about that? It looks TOTALLY out of scale! And that green facade? Totally chic.

Not sure of the level of seriousness here, but I'll answer.

Green facade isn't facade. It's building wrap. It'll be covered.

The front facade is actually broken up quite nicely. The top level is set back so you can't see it from the street (not that I personally believe that's necessary but that's neither here nor there), the historic facade that was integrated provides a relief from the larger mass of the modern building, and the modern building has a facade that's broken up into portions that simulate a finer grain urbanism. As far as large infill buildings go it does a pretty decent job of not being overbearing or over-scaled despite it being a large structure on a tiny street.

Offline chinkley

• 555'-LeVeque Tower
« Reply #3475 on: April 25, 2017, 04:22:10 PM »

Residents that use the Mercer garage and commute outward free up spaces for those who commute into the area.

I know that. But I also know that that's not how Cincinnati usually thinks about allocating parking resources.

Offline jmecklenborg

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #3476 on: April 25, 2017, 04:35:46 PM »

I know that. But I also know that that's not how Cincinnati usually thinks about allocating parking resources.

Also might have influenced the decision to build the squat and slow-selling homes on Mercer St.  40+ apartments would have gobbled up some of that Mercer garage capacity. 

Offline taestell

• Global Moderator
  • Obtaining Glory on UrbanOhio since 2008.™
    • UrbanCincy
« Reply #3477 on: April 25, 2017, 05:30:57 PM »

I don't know whether Mercer IV is designated as a "planned development" (PD) or if it fits into existing zoning. I believe that developers are only required to work with OTRCC if it's a PD. I'm sure 3CDC also knows all the tricks to get around the red tape. What OTRCC needs to understand is that if they keep rejecting other developers' proposals, they're going to simply stop trying and we're going to get nothing but 3CDC developments in this neighborhood.
Check out my photography on Flickr or Instagram | Twitter: @urbancincy & @taestell | The UrbanCincy Podcast (iTunes)

Offline TroyEros

• 665'-Queen City Square
« Reply #3478 on: April 26, 2017, 05:30:29 PM »
Does anyone know if this is meant to be a permanent make-shift alley? From what I understand you can't even take this alley route nowadays because of how union hall shares some type of space is this alley.

Is this meant to be a permanent private alley space, or is this something that will be infilled later on?

Offline jmicha

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #3479 on: April 26, 2017, 05:49:03 PM »
You can definitely still cut through even with the Cintrifuse space taking up some of the lot.

It's unlikely this will last forever as a public cut through. Eventually it'll likely be filled in since it's not a public right of way.

Offline thebillshark

• 771'-Terminal Tower
« Reply #3480 on: April 26, 2017, 06:02:29 PM »
The OTRCC is currently working with CRC (recreation commission) and other stakeholders to plan the future of this space named "Imagination Alley".

Offline Caseyc

• 629'-Rhodes State Tower
« Reply #3481 on: April 27, 2017, 09:37:11 AM »
Also, re Imagination Alley, residents of the Brickstone building to the North have frequently parked cars in a haphazard manner on the northern, rear half of the space, causing consternation for some of their neighbors. I don't know if this issue has been resolved or not.

Offline thebillshark

• 771'-Terminal Tower
« Reply #3482 on: April 27, 2017, 09:46:28 AM »
Also, re Imagination Alley, residents of the Brickstone building to the North have frequently parked cars in a haphazard manner on the northern, rear half of the space, causing consternation for some of their neighbors. I don't know if this issue has been resolved or not.

Yeah, and there's standing water a lot of times back there too. It would go a long way if they could solve that issue and apply some organization to the parking/garbage bin area of the brickstone building.

Offline thomasbw

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
    • www.cincystreetcar.tumblr.com
« Reply #3483 on: April 27, 2017, 12:54:56 PM »
Does anyone know if this is meant to be a permanent make-shift alley? From what I understand you can't even take this alley route nowadays because of how union hall shares some type of space is this alley.

Is this meant to be a permanent private alley space, or is this something that will be infilled later on?

This spot could be a great miniature golf course.

Offline jmecklenborg

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #3484 on: April 27, 2017, 01:16:57 PM »

This spot could be a great miniature golf course.

I've already thought of doing a hipster putt-putt course on a vacant city lot.  You'd have to wear trucker hats. 

Offline ucgrady

• 555'-LeVeque Tower
« Reply #3485 on: April 27, 2017, 01:34:19 PM »
There is a hipster bar/putt putt course in Brooklyn called the Bushwick Country Club that I have always wanted to recreate here locally.

Offline helmespc

• 408'-Kettering Tower
    • The Minor Leagues
« Reply #3486 on: April 27, 2017, 01:36:09 PM »
^ Instead of a PBR windmiill, can we please have a Hudy Delight windmill?

Offline TroyEros

• 665'-Queen City Square
« Reply #3487 on: April 27, 2017, 02:08:42 PM »
I'd prefer infill with retail and residential instead. Keep it whatever for now, but short term only.

Offline jmecklenborg

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #3488 on: April 27, 2017, 02:43:50 PM »
Well in all seriousness the decline of Over-the-Rhine is part of its history, and if the area is completely built-out, no signs of that era will remain.  One house is not going to make a difference. 

Offline ryanlammi

• Global Moderator
  • Cultural Marxist
    • Flickr Profile
« Reply #3489 on: April 27, 2017, 03:23:49 PM »
New construction could be that sign of that era.
"We both would have looked silly if he came in, got out and came back in.”

- Tim Burke, Hamilton County Democratic Party Chairman

Flickr Profile

Offline jwulsin

• 1450'-Willis Tower
« Reply #3490 on: May 22, 2017, 02:14:47 PM »
Top floor of the Empower MediaMarketing building is up for lease:
http://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2017/05/19/exclusive-empower-selects-cre-firm-to-fill-top.html

Here's the brochure from JLL, which says the space is over 12,000 sq ft, but can be divided in half if tenant only wants 6,000 sq ft:
http://www.jllproperty.us/assets/doc/flyer_empowerotr_9138495.pdf

Offline The_Cincinnati_Kid

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • The Big Daddy From Cincinnati
« Reply #3491 on: May 30, 2017, 01:10:14 PM »
I don't have access, anyone with access care to enlighten us?

EXCLUSIVE: 3CDC building $7 million mixed-use project near Taft’s Ale House
May 30, 2017, 11:43am EDT Updated May 30, 2017, 12:24pm EDT
Tom Demeropolis
Senior Staff Reporter
Cincinnati Business Courier

Rennen Flats, at the corner of 15th and Race streets, will incorporate a historic… more

Cincinnati Center City Development Corp. plans to start construction of its next phase of mixed-use development in Over-the-Rhine this July.
http://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2017/05/30/exclusive-3cdc-building-7-million-mixed-use.html
"Rock & Roll attained perfection in 1974, it's a scientific fact."- Homer Simpson

Offline JYP

• Planning for Urbanism in the 21st Century
  • UO Supporting Moderator
    • Cincinnati's Premier Urban Blog
« Reply #3492 on: May 30, 2017, 01:37:59 PM »
They are building 18 condos and 5,000 sqft of commercial space in two mixed use projects along 15th Street between Race and Pleasant.
"All truly great thoughts are conceived by walking."
Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline nicker66

• 468'-Scripps Center
« Reply #3493 on: May 30, 2017, 02:48:08 PM »
They need to start adding a fourth or fifth story to these things.  Come on. 

Offline BallHatGuy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3494 on: May 30, 2017, 04:11:44 PM »
They need to start being better designed and detailed.

Offline JYP

• Planning for Urbanism in the 21st Century
  • UO Supporting Moderator
    • Cincinnati's Premier Urban Blog
« Reply #3495 on: May 30, 2017, 04:17:33 PM »
They need to start adding a fourth or fifth story to these things.  Come on. 

There was a fourth story but it got downsized when everyone protested the parking garage that would have come with it:

http://www.urbancincy.com/2014/07/delay-presents-opportunity-for-3cdc-to-reenvision-15th-and-race-development/
"All truly great thoughts are conceived by walking."
Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline TroyEros

• 665'-Queen City Square
« Reply #3496 on: May 31, 2017, 02:37:16 AM »
I just find it interesting that even though architecture changes throughout the decades, even though these buildings aren't in the same glory of old OTR in regards to sheer materiel and attention to detail, if these 3cdc buildings last for the next 100 years (what I imagine would be a constant upkeep due to cheaper materiel) these new collection of buildings will be considered just as historically impactful as the surrounding original buildings.

We'll probably be dead, but it'll be interesting how the infill of OTR will tell a new story to the future cincinnatians of our 21st century history. Just how 20th century OTR structures tell the story of it's past.

Offline dlueg

• 279'-First Energy Center
« Reply #3497 on: May 31, 2017, 07:29:11 AM »
architecture is one of the most profound anthropologic tools we have. you can learn so much about times in which people live by the things they build.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 07:30:23 AM by dlueg »

Offline jwulsin

• 1450'-Willis Tower
« Reply #3498 on: June 01, 2017, 11:42:01 AM »
This latest phase will only add 6 parking spaces. I'm glad to see 3CDC is willing to push these kinds of developments (18 condos, 5000 sq ft of commercial space) without adding in a lot of parking. It's right on the streetcar and just a block from the Washington Park garage. No need to have a lot of dedicated parking in every project.

Offline jmicha

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #3499 on: June 01, 2017, 01:03:12 PM »
It's still disappointing to me that when there was pushback about the garage 3CDC took that as, "density is upsetting people" instead of "they want less parking and more units."

I don't believe the actual unit count changed much, if at all, since the buildings are deeper than they would have been, but their height is much less meaningful now. 3 stories just isn't much. This new building should be 4 or 5 stories. Variety in height is an important element of the urban fabric of OTR and it would have helped a lot here since now there's a pretty strong horizontal line at the top of this block that shouldn't be emphasized.

Architecturally they're boring. On par for 3CDC. I'm more and more excited about the number of small time developers doing projects these days because all the best new architecture in OTR is being done by small outfits, not the big developers. That says something about priorities.

Remove Ads