Author Topic: Cincinnati: Over-the-Rhine: 3CDC Development and News  (Read 666920 times)

Yves Behar, urbangiraffe, oudd, Jakelley and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline thebillshark

• 665'-Queen City Square
Re: Cincinnati: Over-the-Rhine: 3CDC Development and News
« Reply #3465 on: April 20, 2017, 03:42:53 PM »
Hmm... OK, but I hope they don't start going nuts building out office space. I really do think OTR works better as a residential neighborhood. An office doesn't need to be in a "human scale" neighborhood but it's extremely beneficial for a residence to be.

Offline jmicha

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #3466 on: April 20, 2017, 03:52:52 PM »
I disapprove of 1500 Vine being commercial. Should 100% be lofts. I'm cool with everything else though. Office space helps with daytime population which helps most businesses and helps get essential services into the neighborhood quicker since offices pack more people in per square foot than residential.

Offline joshknut

• 408'-Kettering Tower
« Reply #3467 on: April 21, 2017, 08:10:18 AM »
I think 1500 Vine would make a great hotel

Offline Cincy513

• 367'-PNC Bank
« Reply #3468 on: April 21, 2017, 08:53:01 AM »
Good to see. The one on Walnut will especially help in bridging the gap between Vine and Main. When are they going to do something with 1410 Vine? I really hope that becomes the beer hall that it use to be.

Offline IAGuy39

• 665'-Queen City Square
« Reply #3469 on: April 21, 2017, 08:57:25 AM »
In my mind I think it's OK these buildings on the NE and SE corner of 15th and Vine will be Office.  Really Vine Street is going to be a corridor for Tech companies with commercial/restaurant/bars below.  There is so much room on the side streets with empty lots and abandoned buildings to add many more residents, and possibly this will induce more people working at these companies to invest some money into the residences on the side streets.

There is so much room for development on the 1400 block of Walnut and also on East. 15th there.  I think that is another huge project where they need to build some structured parking behind the Kroger.  Most likely they will tie in a huge Mercer type development there once Kroger builds a new store on CP and Walnut...

Offline taestell

• Global Moderator
  • 부자태
    • UrbanCincy
« Reply #3470 on: April 25, 2017, 02:22:40 PM »
New aerial shot of the Mercer IV (Empower MediaMarketing) office building going up on 14th:

Check out my photography on Flickr or Instagram | Twitter: @urbancincy & @taestell | The UrbanCincy Podcast (iTunes)

Offline chinkley

• 468'-Scripps Center
« Reply #3471 on: April 25, 2017, 02:56:09 PM »
I still can't believe that we got a substantial building built without a single additional parking space.

Offline seicer

• Premium Member
« Reply #3472 on: April 25, 2017, 03:02:19 PM »
How did the Over-the-Rhine Community Foundation feel about that? It looks TOTALLY out of scale! And that green facade? Totally chic.

Offline jmecklenborg

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • An Apollo Legend
« Reply #3473 on: April 25, 2017, 03:28:44 PM »
I still can't believe that we got a substantial building built without a single additional parking space.

Residents that use the Mercer garage and commute outward free up spaces for those who commute into the area. 

Offline jmicha

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #3474 on: April 25, 2017, 03:35:30 PM »
How did the Over-the-Rhine Community Foundation feel about that? It looks TOTALLY out of scale! And that green facade? Totally chic.

Not sure of the level of seriousness here, but I'll answer.

Green facade isn't facade. It's building wrap. It'll be covered.

The front facade is actually broken up quite nicely. The top level is set back so you can't see it from the street (not that I personally believe that's necessary but that's neither here nor there), the historic facade that was integrated provides a relief from the larger mass of the modern building, and the modern building has a facade that's broken up into portions that simulate a finer grain urbanism. As far as large infill buildings go it does a pretty decent job of not being overbearing or over-scaled despite it being a large structure on a tiny street.

Offline chinkley

• 468'-Scripps Center
« Reply #3475 on: April 25, 2017, 04:22:10 PM »

Residents that use the Mercer garage and commute outward free up spaces for those who commute into the area.

I know that. But I also know that that's not how Cincinnati usually thinks about allocating parking resources.

Offline jmecklenborg

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • An Apollo Legend
« Reply #3476 on: April 25, 2017, 04:35:46 PM »

I know that. But I also know that that's not how Cincinnati usually thinks about allocating parking resources.

Also might have influenced the decision to build the squat and slow-selling homes on Mercer St.  40+ apartments would have gobbled up some of that Mercer garage capacity. 

Offline taestell

• Global Moderator
  • 부자태
    • UrbanCincy
« Reply #3477 on: April 25, 2017, 05:30:57 PM »

I don't know whether Mercer IV is designated as a "planned development" (PD) or if it fits into existing zoning. I believe that developers are only required to work with OTRCC if it's a PD. I'm sure 3CDC also knows all the tricks to get around the red tape. What OTRCC needs to understand is that if they keep rejecting other developers' proposals, they're going to simply stop trying and we're going to get nothing but 3CDC developments in this neighborhood.
Check out my photography on Flickr or Instagram | Twitter: @urbancincy & @taestell | The UrbanCincy Podcast (iTunes)

Offline TroyEros

• 665'-Queen City Square
« Reply #3478 on: Yesterday at 05:30:29 PM »
Does anyone know if this is meant to be a permanent make-shift alley? From what I understand you can't even take this alley route nowadays because of how union hall shares some type of space is this alley.

Is this meant to be a permanent private alley space, or is this something that will be infilled later on?

Offline jmicha

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #3479 on: Yesterday at 05:49:03 PM »
You can definitely still cut through even with the Cintrifuse space taking up some of the lot.

It's unlikely this will last forever as a public cut through. Eventually it'll likely be filled in since it's not a public right of way.

Offline thebillshark

• 665'-Queen City Square
« Reply #3480 on: Yesterday at 06:02:29 PM »
The OTRCC is currently working with CRC (recreation commission) and other stakeholders to plan the future of this space named "Imagination Alley".

Remove Ads