Author Topic: Columbus: OSU / University Area Developments and News  (Read 190691 times)

Offline casey

• 555'-LeVeque Tower
Re: Columbus: OSU / University Area Developments and News
« Reply #700 on: March 03, 2017, 05:25:43 PM »
Great updates! Glad to see Taco Bell finally get underway

Offline Columbo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #701 on: March 05, 2017, 04:31:53 PM »
Further north the elevated slab is being poured at Edwards' Wellington project

Greatly appreciate these updates Pablo.  I noticed that your Wellington project construction photo (above) was almost exactly one month after CU's Walker posted this nearly the same angle photo at http://www.columbusunderground.com/construction-roundup-february-2017.  Walker's photo shows the underground parking level before it was covered.  Pablo's photo shows it being covered over by the ground floor slab:

Great things are not done by impulse, but by a series of small things brought together. -- Vincent van Gogh (1853-90)

Offline Pablo

• 408'-Kettering Tower
« Reply #702 on: March 06, 2017, 09:07:23 AM »
^That's funny - what a coincidence!

Offline ColDayMan

• Administrator
  • ♪♪ An Apollo Legend! ♪♪
« Reply #703 on: March 10, 2017, 10:43:45 AM »
15th and High Update: More Demolitions, Utility Work on High Street Starting Soon

It’s been a little over two years since OSU first unveiled its 15th and High plan, calling for a transformation of the area that would include multiple new mixed-use buildings, a boutique hotel, a parking garage, a redesigned Pearl Alley, and a new public square.

More below:
http://www.columbusunderground.com/15th-and-high-update-bw1

I love it when people come into a message board and immediately begin to mix it up.  I mean, Jesus, at least say hello!  Do you walk into a room full of strangers, pick a random woman, and tell her she's fat? - buildingcincinnati

Offline Columbo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #704 on: March 11, 2017, 12:42:00 PM »
^ WOW!  This is gonna be a ton of work in High Street between 13th and 17th.  But at least its being timed for March to August, when OSU gets less busy during Summer Semester.

Map of infrastructure and construction work from http://www.columbusunderground.com/15th-and-high-update-bw1

Great things are not done by impulse, but by a series of small things brought together. -- Vincent van Gogh (1853-90)

Offline casey

• 555'-LeVeque Tower
« Reply #705 on: March 12, 2017, 08:09:51 PM »
Joining Target, Huntington, and Starbucks in The Wellington:

Chick-Fil-A Opening High Street Location Near OSU

http://www.columbusunderground.com/chick-fil-a-opening-high-street-location-near-osu
« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 08:10:27 PM by casey »

Offline Columbo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #706 on: March 16, 2017, 11:21:29 AM »
More retail announcements for new High Street development under construction across from the OSU campus.  Updated rendering view from Lane & High below:

Chipotle, Starbucks and CoreLife Eatery coming to Lane and High by Ohio State
By Evan Weese, Staff Reporter - Columbus Business First
Updated: March 15, 2017, 4:21pm EDT

Chipotle Mexican Grill, Starbucks and CoreLife Eatery will be among the merchants taking space in a new apartment complex being built at a main gateway to Ohio State University.  Schiff Properties LLC has signed the trio of tenants for the ground floor of its Wilson Place project at the southeast corner of Lane Avenue and High Street.
( . . . )
The project, on a former gas station site, is underway and expected to be completed by early 2018. ... Wilson Place will have 65 rental units and 142 beds, each with its own bathroom.  There will be a garage with about 150 parking spaces, supporting the residences and 10,000 square feet of street-level retail.  Schiff said one 1,839-square-foot storefront has yet to be claimed.

MORE: http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/news/2017/03/15/chipotle-starbucks-and-corelife-eatery-coming-to.html

Offline jebleprls22

• 0'-Surface Lot
« Reply #707 on: March 20, 2017, 02:16:32 PM »
The second Chipotle will be great to relieve the mile-long lines that plague the other one, and the same could be said for Starbucks... But this will also mark the third Starbucks along the campus stretch of High, which seems excessive. I like the addition of the CorePower which is a healthy-eating option and not a huge national chain yet. But with all of these storefronts getting eaten up by national chains so rapidly there are going to be so few spots left for the local businesses and demolished campus haunts to return, which is really unfortunate (but also completely as expected)

Offline Pablo

• 408'-Kettering Tower
« Reply #708 on: March 20, 2017, 03:12:26 PM »
Will the existing Chipotle stay? I assumed the one at 13th would be replaced by this one.

Offline wpcc88

• 408'-Kettering Tower
« Reply #709 on: March 20, 2017, 03:41:49 PM »
Will the existing Chipotle stay? I assumed the one at 13th would be replaced by this one.

It is staying.

Offline wpcc88

• 408'-Kettering Tower
« Reply #710 on: April 03, 2017, 06:12:16 PM »
Update on this 7-story apartment project proposed for Lane & Tuttle Park, from the Dispatch:

Apartment building planned near Ohio State has critics
By Mark Ferenchik, The Columbus Dispatch
Tuesday, October 27, 2015 - 6:17 AM

A controversial seven-story apartment project planned just north of the Ohio State University campus has raised a question in some minds: “What do you want Lane Avenue to look like?”

A developer wants to build the 54-unit apartment building with stores on the first floor at the northeast corner of Lane and Tuttle Park Place, across the street from the Varsity Club.  ...  The University Area Commission’s zoning committee already has voted against zoning variances that developer 4 Points A$$et Management sought.  The developer wants to increase the allowable height in the area from 35 feet to 72 feet as well as reduce the number of parking spaces from 90 to 53.  ...  The full University Area Commission was scheduled to take up the proposal on Oct. 21, but the developer asked to table it so it could continue to address neighborhood concerns.

With the recently adopted University District Plan allowing taller buildings along Lane, neighborhood leaders realize the 4 Points project is just the beginning, said Susan Keeny, chairwoman of the commission’s zoning committee.  ...  The new University District Plan allows buildings along Lane as tall as 45 feet east of Neil Avenue and as tall as 72 feet west of Neil - that includes the 4 Points site.

The Columbus City Council approved the University District Plan on Feb. 2.  City code, however, has not been changed to reflect that yet.  ...  Lane Avenue already has its share of tall buildings, including the 11-story Riverwatch Tower and the 11-story former Holiday Inn, which has been converted into an Ohio State University dormitory.  Across Lane at N. High Street, the university is spending $370 million to build dormitories, a dining hall and recreation center — the North Residential District — including seven- and eight-story buildings.

MORE: http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2015/10/27/apartment-building-near-osu-has-critics.html

This building = another tower crane in Columbus.  Hard to keep track of how many there are now!  It looked this weekend like they were about to put one up at the Taco Bell site as well.

Offline ColDayMan

• Administrator
« Reply #711 on: April 04, 2017, 01:18:59 PM »
Ohio State sophomore dorm rule boosting housing and dining revenue by 34%

The rule requiring sophomores to live on campus – and the new residence halls housing them – is giving a financial boost to Ohio State University.

Revenue increased $25 million to $99 million for the Office of Student Life in the first seven months of the fiscal year compared with the same period a year ago.

More below:
http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/news/2017/04/04/ohio-state-sophomore-dorm-rule-boosting-housing.html
I love it when people come into a message board and immediately begin to mix it up.  I mean, Jesus, at least say hello!  Do you walk into a room full of strangers, pick a random woman, and tell her she's fat? - buildingcincinnati

Offline eurokie

• 555'-LeVeque Tower
« Reply #712 on: April 04, 2017, 08:07:22 PM »
Update on this 7-story apartment project proposed for Lane & Tuttle Park, from the Dispatch:

Apartment building planned near Ohio State has critics
By Mark Ferenchik, The Columbus Dispatch
Tuesday, October 27, 2015 - 6:17 AM

A controversial seven-story apartment project planned just north of the Ohio State University campus has raised a question in some minds: “What do you want Lane Avenue to look like?”

A developer wants to build the 54-unit apartment building with stores on the first floor at the northeast corner of Lane and Tuttle Park Place, across the street from the Varsity Club.  ...  The University Area Commission’s zoning committee already has voted against zoning variances that developer 4 Points A$$et Management sought.  The developer wants to increase the allowable height in the area from 35 feet to 72 feet as well as reduce the number of parking spaces from 90 to 53.  ...  The full University Area Commission was scheduled to take up the proposal on Oct. 21, but the developer asked to table it so it could continue to address neighborhood concerns.

With the recently adopted University District Plan allowing taller buildings along Lane, neighborhood leaders realize the 4 Points project is just the beginning, said Susan Keeny, chairwoman of the commission’s zoning committee.  ...  The new University District Plan allows buildings along Lane as tall as 45 feet east of Neil Avenue and as tall as 72 feet west of Neil - that includes the 4 Points site.

The Columbus City Council approved the University District Plan on Feb. 2.  City code, however, has not been changed to reflect that yet.  ...  Lane Avenue already has its share of tall buildings, including the 11-story Riverwatch Tower and the 11-story former Holiday Inn, which has been converted into an Ohio State University dormitory.  Across Lane at N. High Street, the university is spending $370 million to build dormitories, a dining hall and recreation center — the North Residential District — including seven- and eight-story buildings.

MORE: http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2015/10/27/apartment-building-near-osu-has-critics.html

This building = another tower crane in Columbus.  Hard to keep track of how many there are now!  It looked this weekend like they were about to put one up at the Taco Bell site as well.

From my roof in Italian Village there are more than you can count bc you can't tell if some things are tower crane's or cell towers, exposed building systems, etc.
Travels, issues, and ideas: www.greenlakebluecity.com

Offline ColDayMan

• Administrator
« Reply #713 on: April 06, 2017, 05:07:08 PM »
Ohio State trustees excited for '50-year decisions' to change physical campus

“It’s very expensive, it’s very exciting and it’s very important,” trustee Bob Schottenstein said Thursday.

More below:
http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/news/2017/04/06/ohio-state-trustees-excited-for-50-year-decisions.html

Offline Pablo

• 408'-Kettering Tower
« Reply #714 on: April 07, 2017, 09:29:51 AM »
Hopefully it's unoccupied.

Offline Pablo

• 408'-Kettering Tower
« Reply #715 on: April 12, 2017, 09:19:10 AM »
I've noticed smaller renovation projects away from the High St. construction zone. One of the things I loved about campus was the eclectic mix of retail - a lot of local mixed in with a few chains. Since High is becoming the home of national chains, where do the local retailers go? There's a nice node at Summit and Hudson and there are opportunities along both Summit and 4th. I noticed this rehab on 4th between 11th and Chittenden. Perhaps the former Sugar Shack location to the south will be renovated next?

Offline Toddguy

• 408'-Kettering Tower
« Reply #716 on: April 12, 2017, 10:01:34 AM »
^^ That is the cool little stretch of abandoned retail that people have wondered about for years. Good to see it getting spruced up and renovated. Do you know about the building directly south of it-is it being fixed up to? This stretch is perfect for neighborhood retail.

It would be perfect if not for the gas station across the street, but you can't have everything lol.

Are they going to put something in at the southwest corner of 11th and 4th?
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 10:04:10 AM by Toddguy »

Offline Columbo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #717 on: April 12, 2017, 10:57:35 AM »
Are they going to put something in at the southwest corner of 11th and 4th?

That southwest corner of 11th & 4th is one of two "problem properties" that Campus Partners bought in 2014 as part of the Weinland Park neighborhood rehab effort.  The former convenience store/gas station at 11th & 4th was demolished after it was purchased.  The initial report in the Weinland Park thread - https://www.urbanohio.com/forum2/index.php/topic,3770.msg711335.html#msg711335 - showed a rendering of the type of redevelopment planned for 11th & 4th.

The latest news from 2016 - https://www.urbanohio.com/forum2/index.php/topic,3770.msg814138.html#msg814138 - said:

"The larger property at 1521 N. Fourth Street (corner of 11th & 4th) will be redeveloped by Campus Partners.  Redevelopment efforts here are on hold until state funding comes through to remove five underground fuel tanks at the former convenience store/gas station site.  The State has introduced a new program that funds the removal and cleanup of abandoned gas stations.  Campus Partners expects to receive funding later this year to remove the underground fuel tanks."

However, the 11th & 4th site did not receive those state funds last year.

Offline UrbanSurfin

• 771'-Terminal Tower
  • Live free or drive!
« Reply #718 on: April 12, 2017, 11:04:36 AM »
The outfit that renovated the building in the picture is interested the the building to the south (at the NW corner of 11th & 4th), but there's no activity yet. The pictured building has some activity -- something is going in there, but as of a few days ago there are no signs indicating what.
"Your land use reflects your value system." -- K. Gibson

Offline casey

• 555'-LeVeque Tower
« Reply #719 on: April 12, 2017, 11:58:19 AM »
Yes, I agree that some of the smaller-scale charm from High St is being wiped out with the new development there, but the corollary effect on these secondary neighborhood retail nodes has been very positive. This location, the cluster on Chittenden, Summit around Oakland and Hudson, etc are all seeing investment and activity they haven't had for years.

Offline ColDayMan

• Administrator
« Reply #720 on: April 26, 2017, 03:17:36 PM »
New Ohio State transit hubs, parking spots taking shape as Cannon Drive construction nears

Ohio State officials considered building new parking garages to house displaced medical center staffers, but in January decided to instead shuttle them to and from work in an estimated 12 minutes.

More below:
http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/news/2017/04/26/new-ohio-state-transit-hubs-parking-spots-taking.html

Offline cbussoccer

• 279'-First Energy Center
« Reply #721 on: April 26, 2017, 10:37:14 PM »
I wasn't able to snap a picture, but when I drove by tonight they were putting up a tower crane at The Wellington site. It also looks like a crane should be going up soon at the old Taco Bell site on Campus just a couple blocks south of The Wellington project.

Once those two cranes are up, there will be 12 tower cranes up from downtown up to campus with more on the way. This will be a huge summer for development in Columbus.

Offline ColDayMan

• Administrator
« Reply #722 on: April 26, 2017, 11:29:44 PM »
I wasn't able to snap a picture, but when I drove by tonight they were putting up a tower crane at The Wellington site. It also looks like a crane should be going up soon at the old Taco Bell site on Campus just a couple blocks south of The Wellington project.

Once those two cranes are up, there will be 12 tower cranes up from downtown up to campus with more on the way. This will be a huge summer for development in Columbus.

Indeed.

Offline ColDayMan

• Administrator
« Reply #723 on: May 09, 2017, 04:29:41 PM »
Ohio State considering new 4,000-seat ice rink for men's and women's hockey

The school is moving ahead with planning for a Winter Sports Pavilion that would include a 4,000-seat main venue, 500 seats in a practice area, coach and meeting rooms and other amenities.

More below:
http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/news/2017/05/09/ohio-state-considering-new-4-000-seat-ice-rink-for.html

Offline Pablo

• 408'-Kettering Tower
« Reply #724 on: May 17, 2017, 08:59:16 AM »
Tower crane installation has begun at the Taco Bell site.

Offline jebleprls22

• 0'-Surface Lot
« Reply #725 on: May 17, 2017, 09:29:08 AM »
I'm so glad to see some of these projects finally investing in a few levels of underground parking instead of the awful podiums of above-ground dead space that will be irrelevant in a few decades. The University District is going to be a wildly different place in 2018 and beyond!

Offline ColDayMan

• Administrator
« Reply #726 on: May 20, 2017, 11:16:08 PM »
Ohio State's dramatic overhaul of Pomerene Hall features 'huddle rooms,' new glass atrium and a coffee bar

Ohio State University’s renovation of a 95-year-old women’s student union aims to preserve its historic character while transforming it into a high-tech Big Data hub.

The data analytics program moves in early next year to Pomerene Hall as part of a $59 million project that also renovates former dormitory Oxley Hall across the street for other departments.

More below:
http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/news/2017/05/19/first-look-ohio-states-dramatic-overhaul-of.html

Offline Pablo

• 408'-Kettering Tower
« Reply #727 on: May 22, 2017, 09:07:31 AM »
Up and ready to go

Offline Pablo

• 408'-Kettering Tower
« Reply #728 on: May 26, 2017, 01:24:03 PM »
My morning commute - cranes as far as you can see.

Offline ColDayMan

• Administrator
« Reply #729 on: June 06, 2017, 10:34:22 AM »
Ohio State planning to buy historic school building near Fourth Street

Ohio State has no definitive plans for its use, with spokesman Dan Hedman describing it as a “strategic acquisition.”

More below:
http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/news/2017/06/06/ohio-state-planning-to-buy-historic-school.html

Offline Columbo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #730 on: June 06, 2017, 11:02:08 AM »
^ Surprising purchase for OSU.  But it is a handsome building at a prominent location - a 9.38-acre site just off N. Fourth Street and across the railroad tracks from the Ohio State Fairgrounds.  The article says that the former Indianola Middle School building at 420 E. 19th Avenue was built in 1929, is 95,000 square feet, has been vacant since 2010 and is currently owned by the Columbus Board of Education.

The article also notes that this school building has some historic ties to Ohio State.  It was designed by architect Howard Dwight Smith, the designer of Ohio Stadium, and features sculptures created by Erwin Frey, who created the large sculpture of OSU President William Oxley Thompson that stands in front of the Main Library.

Offline ink

• UO Supporting Moderator
« Reply #731 on: June 06, 2017, 11:43:08 AM »
^Interesting news.

I think the biggest connection to Ohio State is that President Thompson came up with the concept of middle schools, after seeing area students struggle to transition into high school. The university and school district partnered to pilot the first middle school in the county near Ohio State, and the model spread across the country.

Offline ColDayMan

• Administrator
« Reply #732 on: June 08, 2017, 03:05:07 PM »
Ohio State making reworked Mirror Lake easy to drain – just in case

An enhanced plan would add $2.5 million to the project, making the total price tag of the renovation $8.4 million.

More below:
http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/news/2017/06/08/renderings-ohio-state-making-reworked-mirror-lake.html

Remove Ads