Author Topic: The Garden District (Baton Rouge)  (Read 12068 times)

Offline UncleRando

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Get on board!
The Garden District (Baton Rouge)
« on: March 03, 2008, 06:14:06 PM »
I loved this little neighborhood...just East of downtown, but surrounded by questionable areas to say the least.  It reminded me a lot of Savannah, GA (pretty much just because of the tree lined medians) but not as well maintained.  Either way, here is my favorite Baton Rouge nabe - The Garden District:

1. The requisite sign picture

14. The path ahead...

16. Beautiful

23. That's all I've got

Offline Robert Pence

• UO's Guardian Angel
  • Premium Member
  • Still mostly sweet, but don't push your luck.
    • robert pence
Re: The Garden District (Baton Rouge)
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2008, 07:20:34 PM »
Some sweet houses, both large and small. The big, old trees help the neighborhood.
Better than ever, and always growing! My photography web site

Some people are like slinkies -- not much good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

Online David

• Premium Member
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2008, 07:46:48 PM »
D@mn I love that last shot; the median is awesome. That is a suburb done RIGHT!
Modern architects recognize 300 masterpieces but ignore the other 30 million buildings that have ruined the world. - Andres Duany

Offline SFSpike

• 574'-Carew Tower
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2008, 08:40:58 PM »
Beautiful!  Southern cities have that lazy comfortable look. 

Offline Master

• 408'-Kettering Tower
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2008, 08:44:45 PM »
Haven't been there for many years. Lots and lots of family down there. I use to get shipped down there for summer break, almost every summer. Not the time to be down there. It has to be the closest thing to The Rain Forest that we have in The US. Back then, I remember extreme differences in neighborhoods from block to block. Leaning houses, on bricks aroung the corner from really, really nice mansion like homes, etc. Is it still like that. I heard that after Katrina, they have been flooded with displaced New Orlean's, causing high appreciation and a boom in home building. Did you see any evidence of That?

Offline Ronnie

• 629'-Rhodes State Tower
  • Quiet please, I am analyzing.
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2008, 08:58:22 PM »
All these post and pics are great UR! I went to New Orleans and Baton Rouge last summer and absolutely fell in love with the southern style and architecture those cities have! I can't wait to visit again.
"I just bought a Rottweiler and I need a sign to warn people how dangerous it is. Ah, yes, here it is: "ONE WAY." So people will know if they step into my yard, there's only one way out--in a body bag from dog injuries."

Online David

• Premium Member
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2008, 09:04:40 PM »
Randy always takes pics of the broken up sidewalks he finds. I would argue they add character  :-D
Modern architects recognize 300 masterpieces but ignore the other 30 million buildings that have ruined the world. - Andres Duany

Offline Ronnie

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2008, 09:05:51 PM »
Randy always takes pics of the broken up sidewalks he finds. I would argue they add character  :-D

Broken sidewalks are cool! I have one in front of my apartment! :lol:
"I just bought a Rottweiler and I need a sign to warn people how dangerous it is. Ah, yes, here it is: "ONE WAY." So people will know if they step into my yard, there's only one way out--in a body bag from dog injuries."

Online David

• Premium Member
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2008, 09:09:06 PM »
Untl an old lady trips over them lol maybe we could just put up some aesthetic warning signs and preserve them?
« Last Edit: March 03, 2008, 09:09:23 PM by David »

Offline Ronnie

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2008, 09:21:14 PM »
Or some duct tape and a plywood ramp?

Offline ColDayMan

• Administrator
  • ♪♪ An Apollo Legend! ♪♪
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2008, 10:31:34 PM »
Not as impressive as New Orleans' but still quite nice.
I love it when people come into a message board and immediately begin to mix it up.  I mean, Jesus, at least say hello!  Do you walk into a room full of strangers, pick a random woman, and tell her she's fat? - buildingcincinnati

Offline UncleRando

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Get on board!
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2008, 07:41:06 AM »
Back then, I remember extreme differences in neighborhoods from block to block. Leaning houses, on bricks aroung the corner from really, really nice mansion like homes, etc. Is it still like that.

Yes it is still like that...it is a cluster of stuff.  Industry in the middle of residential and what not.  There seemed to be very little rhyme or reason behind things...although they did have a nice city-wide street grid.

I heard that after Katrina, they have been flooded with displaced New Orlean's, causing high appreciation and a boom in home building. Did you see any evidence of That?

Many locals spoke of this and I did see some new activity...apparently the population has spiked somewhat as well.  With that said, I was coming from Atlanta where there is new construction everywhere and Baton Rouge didn't not even come close to comparing with that.  Even from a Cincinnati perspective I would consider the amount of construction going on there to be an abnormal amount...but maybe I came in a bit late to see it, or maybe this is a lot relative to what they're used to down there.

Offline UCplanner

• 408'-Kettering Tower
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2008, 03:33:00 PM »
This is why they invented rubber sidewalks!

14. The path ahead...

Cincinnati...it's a fact ....it is the single greatest city EVER created!!!

Offline Master

• 408'-Kettering Tower
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2008, 06:26:14 PM »
Many locals spoke of this and I did see some new activity...apparently the population has spiked somewhat as well.  With that said, I was coming from Atlanta where there is new construction everywhere and Baton Rouge didn't not even come close to comparing with that.  Even from a Cincinnati perspective I would consider the amount of construction going on there to be an abnormal amount...but maybe I came in a bit late to see it, or maybe this is a lot relative to what they're used to down there.
[/quote]

I'll bet it's just been more than they have been use to. Like Ohio, I don't think Louisiana has seen a construction explosion in many moons.

Offline Keith M.

• Carless in the Portland of the Midwest
  • Premium Member
  • Banned!
    • Minneapolisite
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2008, 02:53:05 PM »
Very nice. We used to have a tree lined median on Broad here in Columbus at one point, so I know how taking it out would detract from the feel of this place.

Offline lostincincinnati

• 408'-Kettering Tower
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2008, 02:54:38 PM »
This is why they invented rubber sidewalks!

14. The path ahead...

^I don't think rubber sidewalks would cure that mess, but I like where your head is at.
your mom goes to college...

Offline alexdavid

• New User
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2010, 06:59:12 AM »
hi everyone,..
i am new in this forum,..
i found that it is very helpful for me because it contains very informative posts and sharing s,..thanks

Offline Magyar

• Former Ohio Highway Historian
  • 771'-Terminal Tower
  • Delaware County Historian
    • Last Louisiana Juke Joint
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2010, 12:18:17 AM »
I remember that city. It must of been....6 months ago.  :mrgreen:

Offline X

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2010, 12:24:58 AM »
How you been, Magyar?!

Offline Magyar

• Former Ohio Highway Historian
  • 771'-Terminal Tower
  • Delaware County Historian
    • Last Louisiana Juke Joint
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2010, 10:44:40 PM »
How you been, Magyar?!
Been better.  Gained a degree, lost a parent, saw a hurricane, or two, or three.

Remove Ads