Author Topic: Cleveland: Downtown: Playhouse Square Development and News  (Read 425531 times)

Firenze98, MikeyB440 and 6 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline X

• Global Moderator
Re: Cleveland: Playhouse Square Developments
« Reply #70 on: July 28, 2008, 12:33:27 PM »
Does this building include the portion of building between the Traveller's Shop and United Way?

Offline McCleveland

• blah
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #71 on: July 28, 2008, 01:01:30 PM »
Nope.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.  - Anonymous

Offline cle2032

• 574'-Carew Tower
« Reply #72 on: July 29, 2008, 12:39:52 PM »
I noticed today that the PHS Store is closing. 

Any more info on this?
Vive la Cleveland!

Offline MyTwoSense

• 40+ and Fly
  • 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • back with a vengeance!
« Reply #73 on: July 29, 2008, 01:24:43 PM »
I noticed today that the PHS Store is closing. 

Any more info on this?

Word on the street is that each show carries/travels with its own merchandise and product line, making it hard for the store to compete or make a profit.
my 2 ˘     Please Sell Crazy Someplace Else....We Have Excess Inventory Here!!

Offline cle2032

• 574'-Carew Tower
« Reply #74 on: July 29, 2008, 01:39:35 PM »
Ah, thanks.
Vive la Cleveland!

Offline MuRrAy HiLL

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #75 on: August 18, 2008, 03:45:01 PM »
I'm surprised this hasn't been posted yet...on the front page of the PD today (although I'm sure about everyone has seen it by now):

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.cleveland.com/entertainment/index.ssf/2008/08/tom_hanks_signs_on_to_help_gre.html
Tom Hanks signs on to help Great Lakes Theater Festival's Hanna Theatre renovation campaign
by Tony Brown/The Plain Dealer
Sunday August 17, 2008, 6:47 PM

Tom Hanks' movies have earned $3.3 billion, making him the third best-selling
leading man in Hollywood history.

And it all started at Lakewood High School in 1977, when a bushy-haired, baby-faced, 20-year-old actor-intern from California got a weekly paycheck of $45 for doing bit parts at Great Lakes Theater Festival. It was a break Hanks, who couldn't even get a role onstage at his college theater in Sacramento, has never forgotten.

So starting this week, Hanks - 52 and earning $45 per nanosecond - will lend his name, face and voice to Great Lakes' effort to raise the last $3.6 million in a $19.2 million campaign to renovate PlayhouseSquare's historic Hanna Theatre into a state-of-the-art new home.

http://www.cleveland.com/entertainment/index.ssf/2008/08/tom_hanks_signs_on_to_help_gre.html
« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 03:08:35 PM by MayDay »
“Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood. " -- Daniel Burnham

Offline jonmoxon

• 408'-Kettering Tower
« Reply #76 on: August 18, 2008, 05:51:16 PM »
I've always enjoyed/respected Tom Hanks. Way to go, Tom.

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #77 on: August 18, 2008, 08:47:00 PM »
Despite his super-stardom, he still strikes me as a down-to-earth guy.
"Greater Cleveland is last in the country in number of jobs accessible in typical commute distance, creating a huge drag on economy and more air & water pollution."-- Vibrant NEO

Offline ChiCleveKid

• 468'-Scripps Center
« Reply #78 on: August 19, 2008, 12:05:08 AM »
Ah, thanks.

Don't you mean "Ah, t. hanks?"   Sorry...couldn't resist the pun.    Two thumbs up for Mr. Hanks...good to see the enthusiasm around this project. 

Now, what about Paul Newman...any Cleveland love from him?  My guess here is 'no' judging from the fact you don't hear much about him or see him doing much in C-Town...other than racing his car at the Grand Prix.  8-)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 12:05:43 AM by ChiCleveKid »

Offline mrnyc

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
    • friends of the highline
« Reply #79 on: August 19, 2008, 03:15:32 AM »
i just saw this thread and sad to say, but paul newman has been very ill. in fact i recently read he was in the city, nyc that is, for treatment. they say he is very frail and is dying of cancer (lung cancer due to chain smoking) & that he basically left the hospital and went back to connecticut to die at home.

strangely enough his last movie role was in 'road to perdition'....with tom hanks!

http://www.mirror.co.uk/celebs/2008/06/23/tragic-face-of-film-legend-paul-newman-amid-cancer-rumours-89520-20618177/
"That whole rural thing. It's a joke." Ed Koch

Offline McCleveland

• blah
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #80 on: August 25, 2008, 12:13:23 PM »
Just a quick shot of the refurbishing of the marquee at the hanna theatre
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.  - Anonymous

BelievelandD

« Reply #81 on: August 27, 2008, 07:35:52 AM »
I saw that the other day, it really looks great, I hope this area can flourish in the near future and with all of the theatre arts taking place more restaurants like Bricco can erect

Offline theguv

• 574'-Carew Tower
  • my friends usually call me John
« Reply #82 on: August 27, 2008, 10:47:03 AM »
Does anyone know if the E14 sidewalks will be refurbished as part of the Hanna project?
"The way in which we experience and interpret the world obviously depends very much indeed on the kind of ideas that fill our minds. If they are mainly small, weak, superficial, and incoherent, life will appear insipid, uninteresting, petty, and chaotic."
-E.F. Schumacher

Offline 3231

• Global Moderator
« Reply #83 on: August 27, 2008, 11:52:26 AM »
Does anyone know if the E14 sidewalks will be refurbished as part of the Hanna project?

Sure would be nice..

Offline McCleveland

• blah
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #84 on: September 09, 2008, 01:29:02 PM »
Today I noticed 3 workers from VIP restoration taking out some of the granite slabs from the base of the "office resource center" at 13th and Euclid.  Obviously somebody is paying for the investigative work.  Hopefully we can get some sort of formal announcement soon.

Online jmc8651

• 468'-Scripps Center
« Reply #85 on: September 09, 2008, 01:57:44 PM »
I noticed today that the Playhouse Square store has closed. It's disappointing to see yet another empty storefront along Euclid especially since this was one of the few retailers.  I'm surprised by this, I thought that Playhouse Square was attracting enough people to support a small souvenir store.

Online MayDay

• Administrator
  • The HBIC from the CLE
    • Cleveland Skyscrapers
« Reply #86 on: September 09, 2008, 01:59:56 PM »
^Most people picking up souvenirs for the shows usually pick them up at a stand that's set up in the respective theatre lobby - more flexible and less overhead.

Offline MyTwoSense

• 40+ and Fly
  • 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • back with a vengeance!
« Reply #87 on: September 09, 2008, 02:32:24 PM »
I noticed today that the Playhouse Square store has closed. It's disappointing to see yet another empty storefront along Euclid especially since this was one of the few retailers.  I'm surprised by this, I thought that Playhouse Square was attracting enough people to support a small souvenir store.

We discussed this in another thread and it's not that the store was doing that bad of business, but when touring company's come, people often buy from the tour company at a lower cost Vs.  the PS store. 

I support this business decision.  Why continue to buy goods, store them for a store that is doing marginal business, not including rent and associated costs.
my 2 ˘     Please Sell Crazy Someplace Else....We Have Excess Inventory Here!!

Online jmc8651

• 468'-Scripps Center
« Reply #88 on: September 09, 2008, 02:51:12 PM »
 ^ That makes sense, I wasn't aware of the competition.

Online musky

• SPRAWL KILLS !!!
  • 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Where there is no vision, the people perish.
    • Cleveland vs. The World
« Reply #89 on: September 13, 2008, 09:22:40 PM »
And if you prefer, you can always purchase form PHS online

Offline McCleveland

• blah
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #90 on: September 15, 2008, 08:31:07 PM »
The Hanna Theatre renovation is wrapping up, I'm assuming they'll move on to the rest of the storefronts after the theatre is ready...

Offline jpop

• 1450'-Willis Tower
  • Banned!
« Reply #91 on: September 15, 2008, 08:38:34 PM »
Exciting!

Offline cardsnxtyr

• Premium Member
  • We Are The People
« Reply #92 on: September 15, 2008, 08:55:28 PM »
Any news as to what might be going into some of those empty storefronts?
Modify - Preview - Save

BelievelandD

« Reply #93 on: September 17, 2008, 08:24:56 AM »
http://www.cleveland.com/onstage/index.ssf/2008/09/last_sneak_peek_the_hanna_thea.html

All done...this area could be a real awesome part of town witha few bars and some residential.  There are a ton of vacant storefronts on euclid over here.  Honestly, this is like a mini-broadway, who wouldnt wanna be here?

Offline doctabroccoli

• UO Resident Mad Scientist
  • Premium Member
« Reply #94 on: September 17, 2008, 08:43:17 AM »
That looks great!  And I would most certainly enjoy living in Playhouse Square!

Offline MuRrAy HiLL

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #95 on: September 17, 2008, 10:29:34 AM »
http://www.cleveland.com/onstage/index.ssf/2008/09/last_sneak_peek_the_hanna_thea.html
Last sneak peek: The Hanna Theatre is FINISHED
by Tony Brown/The Plain Dealer
Tuesday September 16, 2008, 5:50 PM

Great Lakes Theater Festival has basically shut down the Hanna Theatre to inquiring eyes until the grand reopening gala on Saturday, Sept. 20. But we sneaked in for a final look around Monday at an open house for PlayhouseSquare's ushers and the food & beverage and house management teams. AND IT'S DONE, except for a few punchlist items and a couple of patches of the gorgeous wilton weave wool carpet in the auditorium. Here are the last of the photos we'll be able to bring you until Saturday night.

More at: http://www.cleveland.com/onstage/index.ssf/2008/09/last_sneak_peek_the_hanna_thea.html
« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 03:07:34 PM by MayDay »
“Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood. " -- Daniel Burnham

Offline jpop

• 1450'-Willis Tower
  • Banned!
« Reply #96 on: September 17, 2008, 10:39:29 AM »
The Hanna reminds me a lot of Steppenwolf's main stage in Chicago. I'm excited to see how this turns out.

Offline cardsnxtyr

• Premium Member
  • We Are The People
« Reply #97 on: September 17, 2008, 01:07:17 PM »
Why is 14th street closed today? It looks like they are assembling something to cover the street
Does it have to do with the grand reopening of the Hanna on Saturday?
Modify - Preview - Save

Offline lewarctj

• 468'-Scripps Center
« Reply #98 on: September 17, 2008, 01:10:59 PM »
you got it - there is a large (500+ person) grand opening and reception

BelievelandD

« Reply #99 on: September 17, 2008, 01:13:10 PM »
When is Tom Hanks coming to town for the Great Lakes Theatre festival, is that in March?

Offline doctabroccoli

• UO Resident Mad Scientist
  • Premium Member
« Reply #100 on: October 02, 2008, 02:05:57 PM »
Has anyone else noticed the new Playhouse Square sign on Chester and E. 16th-ish?  It's bright red, but you can barely read that it says Playhouse Square.  Most of the sign is taken up by "PARKING".  Stupid........

Offline urb-a-saurus

• 468'-Scripps Center
« Reply #101 on: October 23, 2008, 07:51:02 AM »
The letter from Art J Falco (Playhouse Square CEO) to Broadway Series subscribers states, "Playhouse Square is at a pivotal period in its history.  On the heels of the Idea Center opening and the announcement of a robust 2008-2009 performance schedule, Playhouse Square will also experience the renovation of the Hanna Theater, Euclid Avenue's redevelopment, and the East 14th St redesign.  Combining those with exciting soon-to-be-announced projects further cements this as the time for the spotlight to be shown on Playhouse Square and its comprehensive vision."  The italics above are mine.  I love exciting soon-to-be announced projects.  I do not know if they are development projects or theatrical projects.  Anyone here have an inkling?
« Last Edit: October 23, 2008, 07:55:03 AM by urb-a-saurus »

Offline McCleveland

• blah
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #102 on: October 23, 2008, 07:53:07 AM »
The letter from Art J Falco (Playhouse Square CEO) to Broadway Series subscribers states, "Playhouse Square is at a pivotal period in its history.  On the heels of the Idea Center opening and the announcement of a robust 2008-2009 performance schedule, Playhouse Square will also experience the renovation of the Hanna Theater, Euclid Avenue's redevelopment, and the East 14th St redesign.  Combining those with exciting soon-to-be-announced projects furhter cements this as the time for the spotlight to be shown on Playhouse Square and its comprehensive vision.

Hmmmm... Haven't heard anything about that...

Offline sky

• 468'-Scripps Center
« Reply #103 on: October 23, 2008, 09:14:08 AM »
2 ideas:

*  it could be in reference to plans to develop the surface lot East 17th & Euclid

*  it could be in reference to add condo units to the roof of the Hanna Building annex

Offline 327

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Fascinating
« Reply #104 on: October 23, 2008, 09:17:19 AM »
What about Stark's plan to build out E 14th & Prospect?
Vibrate your greenspace today with Frank Jackson

Remove Ads