Author Topic: Cleveland: Downtown: Playhouse Square Development and News  (Read 429888 times)

Offline 3231

• Global Moderator
Re: Cleveland: Playhouse Square Developments
« Reply #175 on: July 07, 2009, 11:28:10 AM »
That US Bank building belongs in Independence.

Yeah, but I'm glad that it and its inhabitants are not.

Offline McCleveland

• blah
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #176 on: July 07, 2009, 12:04:37 PM »
Also, work has resumed on the building that will hold the KSU urban design collaborative (formerly housing the "office resource center" and traveler's shoppe).  I am still hoping they are planning on restoring the facade to it's original condition.  I'll try to remember to grab the photo of that building (prior to being bastardized for the travelers shoppe) and scan it tonight.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.  - Anonymous

Offline McCleveland

• blah
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #177 on: July 08, 2009, 08:18:06 AM »
The first picture shows this building as most of us remember it, separated with two facades one, the original, for the office resource center, and one for the traveler's shoppe.  The second picture clearly shows the travelers shoppe portion when it was still a unified facade.  It looks like the balustrade has been removed... hopefully if they are indeed restoring this to it's original condition that will return.  yesterday I saw them removing cinder blocks from the window openings that had been filled.  The photos come from the book Cleveland Then and Now, which is an outstanding, outstanding book... you know... if you're into that sort of thing :)
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.  - Anonymous

Offline palijandro7

• 629'-Rhodes State Tower
« Reply #178 on: July 08, 2009, 11:41:01 AM »
"Square looks virtually unchanged."

Yeah, if you are not counting the throngs of people.
"Let us have wine and women, mirth and laughter, sermons and soda water the day after."  Lord Byron

Offline McCleveland

• blah
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #179 on: July 08, 2009, 12:35:39 PM »
I think they were referring to the building stock which a bunch of yahoos were very much intent on bringing down.  I was out there today and there were throngs of people.

Offline originaljbw

• Livin in the OB!
« Reply #180 on: July 08, 2009, 02:02:10 PM »
The picture without the people makes me think of the movie "The Truman Show." Personally I have never seen it that empty, perhaps they shot it at 8 am on a Sunday morning?

EDIT: The shadows say its early-mid afternoon in that picture.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 02:03:09 PM by originaljbw »
-Mea Gloria Fides-

Offline doctabroccoli

• UO Resident Mad Scientist
  • Premium Member
« Reply #181 on: July 08, 2009, 03:28:47 PM »
The picture without the people makes me think of the movie "The Truman Show." Personally I have never seen it that empty, perhaps they shot it at 8 am on a Sunday morning?

EDIT: The shadows say its early-mid afternoon in that picture.

Yeah, that is really strange.  Maybe one of the anti-cleveland conspirators made everyone leave to snap that picture ;).

Offline StrapHanger

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #182 on: July 08, 2009, 03:43:17 PM »
^I've definitely seen it that empty on weekend afternoons, when there aren't events at Playhouse Square and the Indians are out of town.  Creepy yes, but not really that unusual.
"Cleveland, as you see, is not an apple, but a bunch of grapes each of which has its own particular pattern-some large, others small, some round, others long and narrow, some sweet, others sour, some sound, others rotten throughout."  -Howard Whipple Green, 1932

Offline palijandro7

« Reply #183 on: July 08, 2009, 03:47:14 PM »
"Square looks virtually unchanged."

Yeah, if you are not counting the throngs of people.

I think they were referring to the building stock which a bunch of yahoos were very much intent on bringing down.  I was out there today and there were throngs of people.

"If you are not counting the throngs of people" = referring to only the building stock

"Let us have wine and women, mirth and laughter, sermons and soda water the day after."  Lord Byron

Offline cle2032

• 574'-Carew Tower
« Reply #184 on: July 08, 2009, 04:52:31 PM »
Regarding KSU's move...I think it'd be a great addition if Utrecht, Dick Blick, Pearl, or non-Cracker Barrel Pat Catan's prototype store opened a ground floor store for all of the area students and design firms...God if I added all of the money I spent on models and other projects in 5 years of architecture school...
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 04:52:54 PM by cle2032 »
Vive la Cleveland!

Offline Etheostoma Caeruleum

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Banned!
  • Fish worship... Is it wrong?
    • Quality Chatter!
« Reply #185 on: July 08, 2009, 05:07:12 PM »
Is Kent moving their urban design offices ALL to this site? Will this leave a vacancy where they are now? I am a bit confused.
This city desert makes you feel so cold....
Its got so many people but its got no soul...
And its taken you so long...to find out you were wrong..
When you thought it held everything. -- Gerry Rafferty, "Baker Street"

Offline Etheostoma Caeruleum

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Banned!
  • Fish worship... Is it wrong?
    • Quality Chatter!
« Reply #186 on: July 08, 2009, 05:08:24 PM »
By the way, the color photo seems sad... Not a soul in sight. I think this portion of Euclid looks so much better, even though that photo is not that old.
This city desert makes you feel so cold....
Its got so many people but its got no soul...
And its taken you so long...to find out you were wrong..
When you thought it held everything. -- Gerry Rafferty, "Baker Street"

Offline rockitect

• 367'-PNC Bank
« Reply #187 on: July 08, 2009, 07:16:03 PM »
Newbie here (and recent CUDC grad)...

Yea, they are. The urban design office at the CUDC only employees about 8 people and a couple grad student interns. The majority of the square footage is devoted to the school. It should be a positive move for CUDC, they are getting murdered by their present lease.

@cle2032;That would be amazing. even if it wasn't located downtown, but in the midtown / near west side area, I think the store would well. Grad students at CUDC often have to drive to Kent to get supplies that aren't available at the Utrecht in Coventry. Its also a problem for all architecture studios (and artists) in town... well... all architecture studios that actually build models, that is.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 08:01:04 AM by rockitect »
Yes Is More.

Offline jpop

• 1450'-Willis Tower
  • Banned!
« Reply #188 on: July 08, 2009, 08:01:24 PM »
Hmmmm .. I wonder if that's something an art supply store would consider. There's gotta be a market that could support that sort of thing in that area .. but then, downtown doesn't even have a Staples, so who am I to say anything?

So, rockitect (first off, welcome!)/McCleveland .. are the offices only relocating to the new space? Or is the school moving there as well?

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #189 on: July 08, 2009, 09:19:21 PM »
Etheostoma Caeruleum:

Please use EDIT
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 09:21:48 PM by KJP »
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I'll tell you what you value." -- Joe Biden

Offline jpop

• 1450'-Willis Tower
  • Banned!
« Reply #190 on: July 08, 2009, 10:55:11 PM »
Actually, just to clarify .. it's "Modify".

Offline rockitect

• 367'-PNC Bank
« Reply #191 on: July 09, 2009, 08:04:00 AM »
The grad school that already is located in Cleveland (Master of Architecture and Master of Urban Design) is moving along with the CUDC professional offices.

There were discussions a couple years ago to move everything to Cleveland (as 1/2 the grad program is still located in Kent) but that is dead as far as I know. There has been quite a bit of turnover, so to speak, the last couple years in the admin of the College of Architecture at Kent as a result of Dean Fong's departure.

Thanks... I've been meaning to participate a little more instead of just lurking.
Yes Is More.

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #192 on: July 09, 2009, 10:27:21 AM »
Thank you for not....

:-D
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I'll tell you what you value." -- Joe Biden

Offline McCleveland

• blah
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #193 on: August 20, 2009, 01:25:21 PM »
Looks like the windows have been cut out as the restoration continues on the corner building that will hold KSU UDC (formerly "office resource center" and "the traveler's shoppe")...

Online MuRrAy HiLL

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #194 on: August 31, 2009, 12:23:43 PM »
http://www.cleveland.com/onstage/index.ssf/2009/08/tom_hanks_at_the_hanna_benefit.html

'Tom Hanks at the Hanna' benefits Great Lakes Theater Festival's renovations
by Tony Brown/Plain Dealer Theater Critic
Monday August 31, 2009, 5:01 AM

CLEVELAND, Ohio — Cleveland, a city perennially desperate for something to cheer about can now let loose three hip-hip-hoorays, for Great Lakes Theater Festival, PlayhouseSquare and Tom Hanks.

The world's most bankable movie star will return to his Buckeye roots on Monday, Oct. 12, to perform "Tom Hanks at the Hanna" at PlayhouseSquare's historic Hanna Theatre as a fund-raiser for his alma mater, Great Lakes.

More at http://www.cleveland.com/onstage/index.ssf/2009/08/tom_hanks_at_the_hanna_benefit.html
« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 03:05:09 PM by MayDay »
“Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood. " -- Daniel Burnham

Online jmc8651

• 468'-Scripps Center
« Reply #195 on: October 12, 2009, 02:50:39 PM »
Nice article about the CUDC move to Playhouse Square in the Kent student newspaper, apparently they will move in over winter break. I tired to post a link directly to the aticle but the link would not work. Just search "CUDC move" and it's the first article.

http://www.kentnewsnet.com/

« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 02:53:52 PM by jmc8651 »

Online TBideon

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #196 on: October 12, 2009, 02:54:58 PM »
District of Design. 

Now that's a phrase I haven't heard in about a year

Offline doctabroccoli

• UO Resident Mad Scientist
  • Premium Member
« Reply #197 on: October 12, 2009, 03:16:01 PM »
Nice article about the CUDC move to Playhouse Square in the Kent student newspaper, apparently they will move in over winter break. I tired to post a link directly to the aticle but the link would not work. Just search "CUDC move" and it's the first article.

http://www.kentnewsnet.com/

Work is in full swing on the property.  I was worried for a few weeks cause there was no activity whatsoever that I could see while waiting for the bus in the mornings.  But now, stuff is definitely getting done.

Offline McCleveland

• blah
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #198 on: October 19, 2009, 12:30:37 PM »
Work is definitley in full swing  :)

Offline McCleveland

• blah
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #199 on: November 03, 2009, 10:21:15 AM »
FYI the new streetscape is approved and will move forward for E. 14th.  I have no idea when work will start.

Offline 3231

• Global Moderator
« Reply #200 on: November 03, 2009, 10:28:21 AM »
^I've never heard about this. Is it the stretch between Carnegie and Euclid?

Have you noticed the simple facade work on the Hanna Annex? The stone was repaired and the metal was painted on the storefronts. It looks a lot better.

Offline McCleveland

• blah
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #201 on: November 03, 2009, 10:39:28 AM »
Between Euclid and Prospect.  Sidewalks will be widened, the euclid corridor finishes will be applied to the sidewalk on the east side, and the star plaza finishes will be applied to the sidewalk on the west side.  There will also be a dedicated parking lane, some public art, etc.

I really wish they would replace the storefronts on the annex to match the new one next to the theatre which also fits in with the storefronts on the hanna building.  As it stands now, that new one really stands out.

Online X

• Global Moderator
« Reply #202 on: November 03, 2009, 11:19:16 AM »
Lots of good news on this thread today!  Are there any renderings available for the E. 14th rework?

Offline MyTwoSense

• 40+ and Fly
  • 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • back with a vengeance!
« Reply #203 on: November 03, 2009, 11:31:24 AM »
Between Euclid and Prospect.  Sidewalks will be widened, the euclid corridor finishes will be applied to the sidewalk on the east side, and the star plaza finishes will be applied to the sidewalk on the west side.  There will also be a dedicated parking lane, some public art, etc.

I really wish they would replace the storefronts on the annex to match the new one next to the theatre which also fits in with the storefronts on the hanna building.  As it stands now, that new one really stands out.

I'm confused.  How are they going to widen both sidewalks and add a "dedicated" parking lane?  There is a parking garage on one corner and a parking lot opposite corner of 14/Prospect.
  :wtf:

I could see adding a dedicated "drop off" lane in front of the theatre, but a dedicated parking lane right in front of a parking garage, parking lot and the Heathline is beyond ridiculous!
my 2 ˘     Please Sell Crazy Someplace Else....We Have Excess Inventory Here!!

Offline Hts121

• UO Supporting Member
  • It's still just like your opinion, man
« Reply #204 on: November 03, 2009, 11:33:10 AM »
^There is no need for 14th to be 4 lanes wide.  I assume they will knock it down to 2.
Your true friends will help you up when someone knocks you down.  Your best friend will say "Stay down, I got this."

Offline MyTwoSense

• 40+ and Fly
  • 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • back with a vengeance!
« Reply #205 on: November 03, 2009, 11:35:33 AM »
^There is no need for 14th to be 4 lanes wide.  I assume they will knock it down to 2.

I agree.  If they could start a East fourth there that did a "H" configuration, from Euclid onto 14 Street then onto Prospect, that would do wonders for the work crowd, theatre crowd and bring in potential downtown buyers.

Offline Htsguy

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #206 on: November 03, 2009, 11:55:07 AM »
Actually there could be issues with the narrowering (although I am all for it).  I use to work in the US Bank Building.  Traffic would always back up on 14th at rush hour even with the current set up due to the fact that it is a major feeder road to the interstates at the top of the street.  While I am sure most people on this board could care less about making it more convenient for cars, I can forsee the backups becoming even worse.

Offline McCleveland

• blah
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #207 on: November 03, 2009, 01:04:07 PM »
I "believe" (and I haven't actually seen the plan, but am basing this off of conversation)... that the road is currently 5 lanes, and will be reduced to 3.  As seen in the first picture, there are 2 lanes heading North, and 3 south... a left turn, straight only, and straight / right turn lane.  My guess is the outer two lanes become expanded sidewalk / dedicated parking, a turning lane, and the straight lane. Hts you are correct I can see removing one of those "straight" lanes as adding to backups at rush hour leaving the city, and you are also correct to put me in the camp of those who really could care less  :lol:

MTS, I totally disagree with you about the dedicated parking lane.  Essentially all the "dedicated" parking lane is taking a lane that has metered parking (or in the Euclid Corridor case, not even metered), and adding a bump out to the end of the lane (as seen in the 2nd photo).  This does 2 things...  One, it greatly reduces the distance a pedestrian has to travel when crossing the street, which is a wonderful thing.  And secondly it prohibits cars from weaving into the parking lanes and using them as roadway which calms traffic and thus is also very pedestrian friendly.  As you can see by the photo this has ALREADY been done on the Euclid side of the road, and I'm assuming will now as a part of this streetscape simply be completed on the prospect end.  Secondly with all the great (and sadly vacant) storefronts on the east side of this stretch... metered parking is a huge plus.  I know people who have fought very hard for streetside metered parking downtown.  People don't always want to pay for a garage to go somewhere, and can view parking as a reason to avoid areas like this.  Having metered spots out front allows people to pull in pop a quarter and be done in 30 minutes or less without getting ripped off with a garage rate for something quick.  This is also the reason though people have fought for 2 hour time limits so that if you want to you can stop in somewhere to eat.  And as PHS develops and looks to add a residential base.  People are going to want on street parking when people come to visit.

All in all I'm pretty pleased with this.

Offline MyTwoSense

• 40+ and Fly
  • 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • back with a vengeance!
« Reply #208 on: November 03, 2009, 01:12:08 PM »
I "believe" (and I haven't actually seen the plan, but am basing this off of conversation)... that the road is currently 5 lanes, and will be reduced to 3.  As seen in the first picture, there are 2 lanes heading North, and 3 south... a left turn, straight only, and straight / right turn lane.  My guess is the outer two lanes become expanded sidewalk / dedicated parking, a turning lane, and the straight lane. Hts you are correct I can see removing one of those "straight" lanes as adding to backups at rush hour leaving the city, and you are also correct to put me in the camp of those who really could care less  :D

MTS, I totally disagree with you about the dedicated parking lane.  Essentially all the "dedicated" parking lane is taking a lane that has metered parking (or in the Euclid Corridor case, not even metered), and adding a bump out to the end of the lane (as seen in the 2nd photo).  This does 2 things...  One, it greatly reduces the distance a pedestrian has to travel when crossing the street, which is a wonderful thing.  And secondly it prohibits cars from weaving into the parking lanes and using them as roadway which calms traffic and thus is also very pedestrian friendly.  As you can see by the photo this has ALREADY been done on the Euclid side of the road, and I'm assuming will now as a part of this streetscape simply be completed on the prospect end.  Secondly with all the great (and sadly vacant) storefronts on the east side of this stretch... metered parking is a huge plus.  I know people who have fought very hard for streetside metered parking downtown.  People don't always want to pay for a garage to go somewhere, and can view parking as a reason to avoid areas like this.  Having metered spots out front allows people to pull in pop a quarter and be done in 30 minutes or less without getting ripped off with a garage rate for something quick.  This is also the reason though people have fought for 2 hour time limits so that if you want to you can stop in somewhere to eat.  And as PHS develops and looks to add a residential base.  People are going to want on street parking when people come to visit.

All in all I'm pretty pleased with this.

Thanks for the visual.  I wasn't sure what lanes would be removed.

As for  metered parking I still belive it's a crock of crap! Why can't visitors take use public transportation?  The HL comes every five minutes. and there are several busses on the nearby streets.

Offline McCleveland

• blah
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #209 on: November 03, 2009, 01:17:14 PM »
like it or not, public transportation in Cleveland, though better than a lot of cities, still isn't all that convenient for an awful lot of people.

Remove Ads